• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

Not sure how to remind myself to do it. I might have to try to do it daily just to get in the habit, then average it for the week or something (Gah! That sounds like a step towards spreadsheets!! NOOOO!!! Averages: the gateway drug to a spreadsheet addiction.) I'll try a new tactic for the next challenge, but for now I'm only remembering after I've eaten and my belly is full with yummy food...

My plan is working!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As for target weight, it's really a big guessing game (there's no one else on the planet who is just like you).  I started out my weight loss journey about 40 pounds heavier than I am now, have hit my initial target weight, and am still not where I want to be (my goal is a certain level of, as yet unidentified, leanness).  However, I found Brad Pilon's "Ideal Measurements for Men" really helpful in setting my end goal and it just so happens he has a post for women too.

My plan is working!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As for target weight, it's really a big guessing game (there's no one else on the planet who is just like you).  I started out my weight loss journey about 40 pounds heavier than I am now, have hit my initial target weight, and am still not where I want to be (my goal is a certain level of, as yet unidentified, leanness).  However, I found Brad Pilon's "Ideal Measurements for Men" really helpful in setting my end goal and it just so happens he has a post for women too.

Damn you and your efficient plan! After reading that article I can see the value of a spreadsheet, though out of sheer bull-headedness I'd probably opt for a notebook. And that's exactly the sort of article I've been wanting/needing to read, so thanks for the link.

While I didn't do the calculations for myself, I'm not far off the example they use (example = 5'6", 36 years; me = 5'5", 32 years), so my back-of-the-head idea of 130 is actually pretty good, it seems (the range they ended up with was 120-140 @~20%BF). So, it gives me some things to think about, as well as some things to measure (just for curiosity at this point, I'm not making a spreadsheet!!!) 

Another question: a couple different online body fat % calculators (which I'm guessing are not always the most accurate) put me at about 29% BF. So if I weigh ~170lb, does that mean my lean body mass is is ~120? None of that seems right to me, but I have nothing really to compare too, either visually or in terms of performance/ability, so I dunno...

Ack, my curiosity is pulling me slowly towards the dark side! Must.... resist.... the.... power.... of the.... spreadsheet....!

Today's Workout:

Climbing ~45 mintues (maybe 1/2 of that time was actual climbing, or attempting to climb). They haven't changed the walls from before but at least the problems are properly marked now. I've regressed a bit in 2 weeks of not climbing, mostly in the area of calluses. Greens (2nd easiest) are still too hard, but I got close on one that was on a more or less vertical wall. Solved 2 yellows (easiest) without trouble, got about 1/2 way on another that's long due to horizontal movement. Still stuck on anything where the wall leans back.

After that I went to the play ground and did the following:

Pull-up negatives, neutral grip: 5, 5, 5

Incline pushups (~18 inches up): 6 (7?), 6, 6

Squat jumps: 15, 15, 15  

Tuck L-sit (sec): 20, 20, 20

Incline Rows (under, over, under): 9.5, 10, 10

Triceps Pushups: 10, 10, 10

Left out box jumps just 'cuz. That many squat jumps are hard, but could probably do more if I really wanted. Fingers were really sore after climbing, so the negatives were hard too. Tuck L-sit seconds were probably a bit fast, it was more like 20 breaths. I should've eaten before going to the playground, I was feeling pretty blah by the end. 

Now I'm tired and hungry.

Damn you and your efficient plan! After reading that article I can see the value of a spreadsheet, though out of sheer bull-headedness I'd probably opt for a notebook. And that's exactly the sort of article I've been wanting/needing to read, so thanks for the link.

While I didn't do the calculations for myself, I'm not far off the example they use (example = 5'6", 36 years; me = 5'5", 32 years), so my back-of-the-head idea of 130 is actually pretty good, it seems (the range they ended up with was 120-140 @~20%BF). So, it gives me some things to think about, as well as some things to measure (just for curiosity at this point, I'm not making a spreadsheet!!!) 

Another question: a couple different online body fat % calculators (which I'm guessing are not always the most accurate) put me at about 29% BF. So if I weigh ~170lb, does that mean my lean body mass is is ~120? None of that seems right to me, but I have nothing really to compare too, either visually or in terms of performance/ability, so I dunno...

Ack, my curiosity is pulling me slowly towards the dark side! Must.... resist.... the.... power.... of the.... spreadsheet....!

Resist the dark side. Chaos is good. Of course you could temporarily, because that is part of chaos fortunately. I really like the measurement from Wolve's post.  One at waist, one at shoulders, pretty easy to keep track of, no complicated spreadsheet needed :)

Resist the dark side. Chaos is good. Of course you could temporarily, because that is part of chaos fortunately. I really like the measurement from Wolve's post.  One at waist, one at shoulders, pretty easy to keep track of, no complicated spreadsheet needed :)

Yeah, this is why I'd opt for a notebook or one of those little pocket calendar thingys, I can handle writing down a couple of measurements in a book and still call myself a Chaossin. If I really want a graph, I'll dig out the pencil crayons and get some graph paper and a ruler from my math-teacher sister. I think I might gather supplies (measuring tape, notebook) and try to get in the habit of this for the next challenge. Though my habit-forming abilities have thus far proved to be woefully inadequate... Maybe I'll pick up some post-it notes too...

It's actually not the spreadsheet or graphs themselves I'm adverse to, I definitely see their usefulness. It's the spreadsheet technology I don't like, because I've never, ever had a good working relationship with software of that type (of most types, really, especially ones made my Microsoft). Ghetto graphs are just fine by me, though, and you can use all sorts of pretty colours, especially if you still have a box of 64 crayons left over from childhood (I think I do, somewhere...)

Now I'm amused by the idea of creating a weightloss graph with lurid waxy lines...

Yeah, this is why I'd opt for a notebook or one of those little pocket calendar thingys, I can handle writing down a couple of measurements in a book and still call myself a Chaossin. If I really want a graph, I'll dig out the pencil crayons and get some graph paper and a ruler from my math-teacher sister. I think I might gather supplies (measuring tape, notebook) and try to get in the habit of this for the next challenge. Though my habit-forming abilities have thus far proved to be woefully inadequate... Maybe I'll pick up some post-it notes too...

It's actually not the spreadsheet or graphs themselves I'm adverse to, I definitely see their usefulness. It's the spreadsheet technology I don't like, because I've never, ever had a good working relationship with software of that type (of most types, really, especially ones made my Microsoft). Ghetto graphs are just fine by me, though, and you can use all sorts of pretty colours, especially if you still have a box of 64 crayons left over from childhood (I think I do, somewhere...)

Now I'm amused by the idea of creating a weightloss graph with lurid waxy lines...

I must admit... I like ghetto graphs. I have colored pencils, and I like to use them to make pretty graphs for my gardening. I don't have a good working relationship with excel either.  But it would be kinda fun to make my own graph with my pencils. Oh dear, hopefully Croman will come along and talk sense into us before we totally go to the dark side :playful:

I must admit... I like ghetto graphs. I have colored pencils, and I like to use them to make pretty graphs for my gardening. I don't have a good working relationship with excel either.  But it would be kinda fun to make my own graph with my pencils. Oh dear, hopefully Croman will come along and talk sense into us before we totally go to the dark side :playful:

Ha! Indeed, though I feel that the addition of pretty colours with fantastical names by hand falls on the Chaossin side of things.

Today's Workout:

Ran 4k in 21:27. I feel like that's a pretty good time for me, but I honestly can't remember what my best or worst times were, it's been so long since I ran 4k at all. I did a good job pacing myself, meaning that I was able to maintain more or less the same pace from start to finish, rather than having a fast first half and slow second half (my usual MO), and had enough in the tank to step it up a notch in the last 300m.

I hope that works the last of the ouch out of my calf muscles...

Some things I've noticed about my diet since I've been tracking it:

1. I have a really hard time getting 1g/lb BW of protein (in my case it should be around 170g. I have MFP set to 166 'cuz that's what it adjusted to automatically when I played with the percentages, and that was close enough for me, but I'm usually in the 120-125g range, sometimes less, and that's including supplementing occasionally with protein powder). Don't really know if this is much of a problem, though I understand that, when cutting, the body eats muscle for energy and getting enough protein can mitigate this process. I'm not sure it's making a functional difference for me, though.

2. I have not much problem staying under my calorie amount, though because I've set a custom one and don't track my exercise, I'm not 100% certain the level is appropriate for weight loss (forgetting to weigh myself isn't helping in this regard...). In theory it's an ok level, but I have this niggling doubt in the back of my mind that it might not be, and I don't really know how to confirm this.

3. I almost always go over on carbs, sometimes by a lot sometimes by a little, and am almost always under on fat. No idea if this is meaningful, and if it is, whether it's good or bad.

4. 120 calories can be more filling/last longer than 500 calories, depending on where the calories come from. This is interesting to me.

Today's a bit up in the air, workout-wise. I have a dog at the groomer and a father at the hospital (potentially serious, but not life-threatening), and have no idea when either will be finished, and am responsible for retrieving both, and for walking the dogs, all hopefully before work, since my mom won't be home 'til late. Might just do a short run since that only takes 11 minutes of my time, but inevitably both will be finished during that 11 minute period, no matter when I go... I succumbed to the unexpected heat yesterday and took a day off, so I really should do something today... *sigh*

1. Same here, I am 172 and I am happy to tray nad get 140-150 g per day. I want to stay away from having to take any powders.

2. I had taken a long break from tracking but started up again just to see where I was. I kind of averaged out what my expected energy burn for exercise is for the week then just eat the same amount every day. We'll see how that works.

3. I found I naturally eat kind of low fat. Which honestly I'd like to get a bit more and keep the carbs lower, but on the plus side the carbs I do eat are almost entirely from fruit & veggies. I eat very little grains.

4. I am a big fan of mixed nuts. And nuts in general. They are filling for me.

Yes 170# with 29% BF = 120 # lean body mass. But BF% can be very hard to accurately measure. I would use measurements more as a guide for determining a shift rather than an absolute number

Embrace the power of the spread sheet.  Use it to your advantage, and then use it again for toilette paper.  The best of both worlds...

So, what I'm hearing is that you and Obax like to draw on your toilette paper with crayons...

Today's Workout:

Ran 4k in 21:27. I feel like that's a pretty good time for me, but I honestly can't remember what my best or worst times were, it's been so long since I ran 4k at all. I did a good job pacing myself, meaning that I was able to maintain more or less the same pace from start to finish, rather than having a fast first half and slow second half (my usual MO), and had enough in the tank to step it up a notch in the last 300m.

I hope that works the last of the ouch out of my calf muscles...

Embrace the enduro madness darlin' girl:)

Yes 170# with 29% BF = 120 # lean body mass. But BF% can be very hard to accurately measure. I would use measurements more as a guide for determining a shift rather than an absolute number

This.  Your math is correct, but use this information as a guide only.  BF% is notoriously difficult to figure out (even BodPod/DEXA/etc. isn't all that accurate) and it's especially difficult for females.  Ditch the BF% numbers and track your weight, waist, and shoulders.  This will give you enough data to know if you are losing/gaining weight and whether it is the right kind of weight.  Everything else is just a bonus (or a burden, if you're a caveman).

So, what I'm hearing is that you and Obax like to draw on your toilette paper with crayons...

The mental picture this presents is AMAZING.

Embrace the enduro madness darlin' girl:)

HA! You made me scare the Ascended Master again with my laughing out loud. 'Cuz 4k is a real trek, that's for sure...

This.  Your math is correct, but use this information as a guide only.  BF% is notoriously difficult to figure out (even BodPod/DEXA/etc. isn't all that accurate) and it's especially difficult for females.  Ditch the BF% numbers and track your weight, waist, and shoulders.  This will give you enough data to know if you are losing/gaining weight and whether it is the right kind of weight.  Everything else is just a bonus (or a burden, if you're a caveman)..

That was sort of my thinking. Again, I'm less concerned with specific numbers than with how I perform/how I look, it was mostly just out of curiosity that I plugged numbers into those calculators. But numbers do give a certain motivation that 'I'll go 'til I look good or run fast' doesn't quite. My phone alarm is going to be getting a workout in the next challenge with all the reminders it will be buzzing for me...

Heh, I'm amusing myself with this mental image too... It doesn't take much to amuse me...

This.  Your math is correct, but use this information as a guide only.  BF% is notoriously difficult to figure out (even BodPod/DEXA/etc. isn't all that accurate) and it's especially difficult for females.  Ditch the BF% numbers and track your weight, waist, and shoulders.  This will give you enough data to know if you are losing/gaining weight and whether it is the right kind of weight.  Everything else is just a bonus (or a burden, if you're a caveman).

The only accurate way to determine your body fat content is to use a dip tank.  Excepting immolation to determine exact caloric burn, but that's a bit extreme...

1. Same here, I am 172 and I am happy to tray nad get 140-150 g per day. I want to stay away from having to take any powders.

2. I had taken a long break from tracking but started up again just to see where I was. I kind of averaged out what my expected energy burn for exercise is for the week then just eat the same amount every day. We'll see how that works.

3. I found I naturally eat kind of low fat. Which honestly I'd like to get a bit more and keep the carbs lower, but on the plus side the carbs I do eat are almost entirely from fruit & veggies. I eat very little grains.

4. I am a big fan of mixed nuts. And nuts in general. They are filling for me.

I'd like to stay away from powders too, but I'm finding it hard to get even 120-125g without it some days. I could do it, but I don't want to eat the exact same thing day in and day out, so sometimes I have a less than proteinerific breakfast and make up for it with some powder and milk. It also helps on days when I don't eat as well as I should, which seems to be more often than not of late...

I'm a fan of nuts as well, but I find that the amount I need to eat to feel not hungry any more are way too many calories. I'm not a snacker, meaning I seem to like to eat 4 small meals a day, and not snack between, my hunger tends to be all or nothing, and trying to snack just ends up making me feel more hungry than I was before.

And thanks for the BF% info, it's good to know I at least understand what the number means, even if it's not accurate. It was more curiosity than anything that made me plug my numbers into the calculator thingys, it won't likely be something I try to measure regularly, if at all. I'll know when my squish factor has reduced enough for my liking by poking myself in the belly and seeing how it feels.

The only accurate way to determine your body fat content is to use a dip tank.  Excepting immolation to determine exact caloric burn, but that's a bit extreme...

I don't like water, and definitely don't want to be set on fire, so this seems like it will be one of those eternal mysteries, always quested after but never found. Or, in my case, ignored with shrug and never thought of again.

I don't like water, and definitely don't want to be set on fire, so this seems like it will be one of those eternal mysteries, always quested after but never found. Or, in my case, ignored with shrug and never thought of again.

In that case, go with the finger poke method.

Today's workout didn't happen. I'm crazy tired (my own fault, though I prefer to blame Battlestar Galactica) and I went to help out my mom's class at the Special Olympics today. I didn't do much, but I feel like my mom at least was happy to have an extra set of adult eyes watching out for all the various children. I technically had time for a short run before work but I chose the couch instead. Enh. I have this weekend off and it's supposed to be nice, I think, so I can pack in some good workouts then, as well as some good family time (Iron Man 3, here I come, brother in tow!)

Any time spent helping out with the Special Olympics crowd more than balances against a work out missed.  Too much love with those folks to be missed.

Any time spent helping out with the Special Olympics crowd more than balances against a work out missed.  Too much love with those folks to be missed.

Indeed, I had a good time, though one kid that used to be fascinated by me is now too cool for school and barely said hi to me. But that's fine, there were several kids I'd not met before who found me fascinating instead. One didn't like my hair, I was insulted (not really).

The ascended master will forgive you if you provide tuna offerings:)

Except that I forgot to buy tuna at work tonight (I even promised her I'd bring her some). I'm really in for it now...