• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

I think a bit part of my problem is hydration, I'm really good about drinking lots and often when I'm at work, but throughout a regular day, not so much. I'm not bad if I remember to put my full water bottle beside me and take it wherever I go, but it's the remembering to do that that I have trouble with.

I admit I see the value of track to something like this, if I tracked more things I would know the difference between the days I have a good run and the days I have a bad run. There are just so many factors that might play a role, there's no way I could ever track them all... Maybe it's time to get a little agenda book and use it as an exercise diary and write down everything I think of throughout the day, and maybe I'd notice a pattern...

But still no spreadsheets. That's TOO organized!

Spreadsheets scare me too. But you can absolutely get something like MyFitnessPal going on, or even just writing things down. And like you say, maybe you'll notice that certain patterns emerge. I know that's what Waldo does (even though he is highly organized and data orientated) and he seems to know exactly how his body will react to any given thing he does. It might be worth looking into.

I am using MyFitnessPal to track my calorie intake, but only since the start of the challenge, so I don't know if that's enough data to see a pattern yet. I think I'm going to use a little book to keep track of my workouts by day, so I can match up the info on MFP with what I actually did that day, and I should probably write down how much water I drink and when, if I'm concerned about hydration. It's all just so contrary to my natural state, it seems ridiculous that this is what I need to do, but I kinda feel like it might be...

It could be. I never really made an intense study of it, but I figured out that I need to do cardio in the AM, before breakfast. Otherwise I get crippling runners cramp. I'd also recommend you write down how the workout felt. Maybe you'll find a correlation between good workouts and what you eat?

Today's Workout:

The beep test. It sucked, I just stopped at level 5, probably technically by the rules 4.5, I don't really know. Either way, I just stopped when I knew I could keep going. In fact, as I was approaching the line I was thinking to myself 'Just one more level and you can stop. Just a couple more minutes' and then the beep came a fraction of a second before my foot hit the line and bam, I gave up. I'm currently trying and failing to not get into the 'Why even bother?' mindset that hit me in my first challenge. I was even in a great frame of mind before I started, and was all ready to kill it, and then my legs were so tired when I got going, it was a real struggle, but I know I could've kept going.

I really think my main problem is willpower, or lack thereof. I have no idea, still, how to combat this. Maybe I just don't have enough and never will, I dunno... I'm so mad at myself right now, I feel like I wasted the day because I didn't give my all and now I have to go to work so won't have a chance to try again.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow is better. I'm debating if I want to run this again on Wednesday before my surgery (at the moment I don't, but rationally I probably should), or just give up on it for this week and however long I need to take off for recovery. I definitely don't think I'll be reaching my goal on this one this time 'round...

That sounds maybe a bit more negative than I'd intended, but it's all still true. But I also think what I'm eating is playing a role too. I just dunno what to do about it, if I go running any sooner after I eat I feel like puking, which makes for poor performance, and if I continue to go when I have been, I'm hungry, which leads to poor performance. Will have to think on this, and maybe put some things back into my diet that I've take out, even if that means stalling on the fat loss, though I don't know how I feel about the idea of spaghetti for breakfast... Maybe Red Bull in place of one of my morning coffees on run days is a better, if more expensive, option...

Spaghetti for breakfast would be delicious!  And far less sugar than a RedBull.

I know you can complete the beep test, because you know you can do it!  I think you should try it again on Wednesday before your surgery.  That way you can finish it and not have to think about the "what ifs" afterwards.  When you are doing the beep test and want to stop in the midst of it just think of all us Nerd Fitnessers back here waiting to hear that you finished.  Aaand you will be so proud of yourself!

I have a HUGE willpower issue, I get all these ideas and it's hard for me to put any in to effect.  Sometimes when I do put them in to effect I will be amazing at it for the first while but then I will slowly slip in to a lazy/sulky stage and just say "why bother".  I have to constantly remind myself that I bother because I want to be better, faster, stronger!  

Thanks. The Red Bull idea come from the fact that I always drink one about 30 minutes before my hockey games, and the few times I didn't it made a huge difference in my performance. I will definitely be drinking one before my actual test, even if it's just a placebo effect, I feel that it gives me a better boost than, say, coffee, or just water. And I feel like I need a boost before my runs... Wheat is one thing I've cut way back on and have seen positive results, both in terms of my energy level/mood and fat loss, so I really don't want to put it back into my diet in any major way. Sugar content aside, a bowl of spaghetti has way more calories than a can of Red Bull.

The trouble is I don't ever want to stop. Up until the second I do stop, my conscious mind is actively engaged in encouraging me and telling myself to push just a bit more. The stopping just happens without conscious awareness, and that's why it's so hard to combat.

I'm debating about running it again because I can't decided if the possible pros of a successful run outweigh the possible cons of another terrible run. At the moment I feel like I'll likely have another terrible run, and I don't want that to be my last workout before some enforced time off, because I'll dwell on it the whole time. But if I don't do it, I'll probably be dwelling on it the whole time anyway. If I knew I would have a good one I'd do it, because that would satisfy me and I'd be dwelling on nothing. I think maybe I'll do it with a Red Bull in my system, though I was just reading an article on the placebo effect, and being aware of it completely negates the effect, so hopefully it's more than just a placebo...

I don't run (nasty stuff running) but I have had the issue with just doing something like KB swing, and then your body just stops you, and you meant to keep going. Not sure how to get past it. You are doing this because you want to pass a police test, or something similar right? How close are you? What about paying someone to train you? If It something you really want it might be worth the money to get you past the slump. Obviously with hockey and climbing and workouts you are in good shape, so it can happen. Just need some help getting past the roadblock. ANother idea is have you posted in the runners guild? Maybe they have some tips.

I have posted in the runners forums and they seem to not really understand what I'm talking about, which may have something to do with the fact that they like running I do not. I would love to pay someone to train me but I don't have the money for that, not even close. I was quite close to the police test requirement, but after today not so much. I know I'm physically capable of getting there, I just don't know if I'm mentally capable of getting there, despite the fact that this is kinda my only option at the moment...

Re: Tracking

The one thing people often don't realize is that they don't have to do it forever to benefit from it.  Doing it just for a few months can by hugely helpful for figuring out what calorie target you need to maintain your current bodyweight (which also gives you what you need to lose/gain weight), how "costly" certain foods are from a calorie perspective, how macronutrients play a part in your performance, etc.  You don't have to be crazy like me and you don't even need a spreadsheet (or charts!).  In order to progress you must know if your plan is working, in order to know if your plan is working you must keep track of the results.  Simple as that.  A simple food journal (like you're doing) and a daily battle log here on the forums where you track your workouts is totally enough to get you this info.

Re: Beep test before surgery

Do it.  You'll feel better going into surgery.  Your body will feel better going into surgery.  Even if it's a crappy run, it gets your heart going and it's good for you. You'll regret not doing so.  Speaking from experience here. ;)

Re: Will power

If you find yourself unconsciously stopping.  Consciously go again.  It's a simple (not necessarily easy), logical choice.  IF I stop, THEN I acknowledge that I have stopped and go again.

Beep test - I, like you, hate running, but I did quite a bit of it last summer. One trick a friend taught me - when your legs want to slow down/stop, pump your arms faster. Your legs will follow. I don't know why it works, but it does. Also, I'm stupidly competitive - having someone else run with me made me work much harder than I did alone, even when I was consciously trying to improve alone. Might that work for you?

Re: Will power

If you find yourself unconsciously stopping.  Consciously go again.  It's a simple (not necessarily easy), logical choice.  IF I stop, THEN I acknowledge that I have stopped and go again.

I like what Wolverine said here.  If you find yourself stopped, take a few seconds gather yourself and then keep going.  Even if you technically fail the test because you stopped.  Just being able to "finish" it might give you that extra boost to keep yourself going the next time.

I don't know if you have to pay every time you attempt the beep test, but you could just make it a goal to make it past where you stopped last time.  Then the next time you do it you can make a goal to pass that new spot and keep trying it until you finish it.

I think a bit part of my problem is hydration, I'm really good about drinking lots and often when I'm at work, but throughout a regular day, not so much. I'm not bad if I remember to put my full water bottle beside me and take it wherever I go, but it's the remembering to do that that I have trouble with.

I admit I see the value of track to something like this, if I tracked more things I would know the difference between the days I have a good run and the days I have a bad run. There are just so many factors that might play a role, there's no way I could ever track them all... Maybe it's time to get a little agenda book and use it as an exercise diary and write down everything I think of throughout the day, and maybe I'd notice a pattern...

But still no spreadsheets. That's TOO organized!

Try making a checklist of factors that you think affect your run, then check the appropriate boxes on run days.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I like them all, and will keep them all in mind/incorporate them into my daily routine (or try to). I'm definitely going to start tracking things a bit better, though it doesn't come naturally and will probably take a little getting used to. My thoughts are to record how I felt my quality of sleep was, mood before exercising, quality of the workout and what I did, and mood after exercising, since tiredness and poor mood seem to go together for me (I have yet to determine which comes first, however...). And then continue with the food tracking on MFP, and try to pay more attention to the macros on there (so far I've been recording it and not really paying attention beyond that). I like Croman's checklist idea too, it's nice and simple, especially if I use a (gasp!!!) spreadsheet. Is it really a spreadsheet if all I do is check some boxes...?

@ Church and Elder: it's not really a test you can finish, you just keep going until you can't any more, so when I stop the test is technically over and I've gotten whatever level I stopped at. But I see your point, and instead of going into it with the mindset that I'm going to achieve whatever level I can, I'm going to try thinking about it as 'Level X=finished'. And I like Wolverine's suggestion to just keep going after I stop. I actually thought of that on my own yesterday, but not until after I got home, I was so mad at myself at the time that all I wanted to do was throw my iPod against the school wall (I did not, I wasn't THAT angry). So I think that if I just stop next time, I'll wait on the line for one beep and then keep going, or try to. It'll be hard to get my head into it that way, since I know rationally that the test is over for me according to the rules because I stopped, but I think if I've got it in my head ahead of time, I'll be able to make myself go again.

@Aeryn: I was thinking last night that this would be so much easier if I had someone to train with, but alas, there is no one. The only person would be my sister, but our goals are very different and our schedules rarely cooperate. I'm also wondering if the local college who offers the Police Foundations course would let me sign up for just the gym classes. The semester is over by now, but I was wondering if they might have a summer semester, I'm sure there are people who take the course and need/want extra help with that. I don't know if a bunch of 18 year olds qualify as good training partners for me, but at least if a summer course exists and they let me in, I can get some test-specific instruction from the person who teaches it (I'm not holding my breath on this one, it's a long shot, but I'm going to at least call and find out).

And thanks everyone for taking my whining seriously. Recent life experience left me with a heaping metric tonne of self-doubt, which rears it's head every now and then, and is compounded by what I view as poor performances. I think my family gets a little tired of me wallowing when that happens, and while they're always supportive, they're sometimes a bit dismissive too (I don't really blame them, I get a bit tired of it too...). Anyway, I'm trying hard to get myself in a more positive mindset for the first part of this week so I can go into my enforced time off satisfied that I can jump back in once I'm all ready to go. I'll find out on Wednesday exactly what I can and can't do afterwards, and for how long (I think some of the anxiety about all this is a contributing factor at the moment too...). I have a feeling it'll be not much for the first couple of days, I'll have to join Wolverine in his state of stir-craziness... Fortunately, I think it'll only be for a couple of days, and then I'll at least be able to look at a book, or something. Time to find some interesting Podcasts!

Week 2 - Let me Sum Up

Well, another mixed bag (as anyone who read my last few posts will know). 

Goal #1 - Beep Test

Bah! (See previous few posts). That said, I have some strategies for creating a maintaining a more positive attitude regarding this. I'll be running it again on Wednesday, hopefully it goes better.

Goal #2 - Stretching

Also bah, but not as much as the beep test goal. I'm slowing getting back into the swing of this, the mobility mini-challenge was a help. I think it'll be somewhat less bah next week, I did not too badly this week.

Goal #3 - Grip Work

Bah! I cannot remember to do this! I think if I went down the basement stairs more often I'd remember, but I have no real reasons to go to the basement on a regular basis. I've done it a couple of time, and tested the shelves at work to see if they would support my weight so I can do it there (they do, and I can, so long as no one catches me at it). So now I have fewer excuses not to do this, I just have to remember to actually do it. My phone alarm will be going off like crazy after my eye surgery, I have to take eye drops, like, every 2 hours for the first couple of days, but once that settles down I'm actually going to try setting an alarm for this so I forget less (it's working for my pre-surgery eye drops, hopefully I can just shift this habit to the grip work afterwards).

Goal #4 - Tracking

Going good, I haven't missed a day, though I have missed a few foods, mainly due to laziness at trying to figure out how to get it in to MFP piece by piece. Gonna start paying a bit more attention to the breakdown of the macros and relate them to performance, this'll take some time to figure it all out. I forgot to weigh myself on Monday again, maybe I'll just have to continue to forget on Mondays and then remember on Tuesdays. That works just fine for me.

Goal #5 - Making Time

Also going not bad, though the past couple of days I've let the computer time get a little carried away. I find it harder on run days since I can't just eat and go like I can on climbing days, so I have to occupy my digestion time somehow, and then I lose track of time a bit. I'm successfully getting up on time and getting to sleep at a reasonable hour, and for the most part my sleep has been of decent quality. I got away from book reading a bit, but have since pulled out an old favourite (Tex and Molly in the Afterlife) and am reading that again. I've discovered some of my books I thought I had have gone missing, I'm hoping I didn't accidentally leave them when I moved out of my last place, because then I'll never get them back. There are a couple more boxes that I haven't looked in, so maybe they're in there. Same goes for my bike lock, though I did find the keys (you'd think I would've been smart enough to put the keys and the lock together, but apparently not...)

Overall I give myself a B-. My first inclination was to give myself a lower grade, but willpower aside, I've been good at sticking to the plan on 3/5 of my goals, and am slowing getting better at 1 other goal. The end result of one goal wasn't what I wanted, but I haven't been skipping runs, it's a mental thing I've got to sort out.

Next Week:

Gonna be a bit up in the air. I can keep up with my tracking and probably stretching after my eye surgery, and probably grip work if I can remember. I'll run the beep test again on Wednesday, the day before the surgery. It'll all depend on what I can and can't do and for how long afterwards, which I will find out on Wednesday. This may bleed into the following week too, the surgery is on Thursday and I'll be off work 'til Monday at least (I'm sure I'll be fine to go back to work on Monday, I'll probably be fine by Sunday but I took it off anyway, since normal people with normal jobs would have it off, I thought I should take it too). I'm trying not to feel too anxious about it, but as the day gets closer it's getting harder...

P.S. If anyone has any interesting podcast suggestions, I'll take 'em (so long as they're free). I think I will pay for all the seasons of a radio drama I used to listen to haphazardly and finally get the whole story.

Will power; start small and work up to big.  Its a finite resource and takes awhile to increase.  You know this, you just keep forgetting it.  Make a short list of achievable daily acts of will.  Keep it with you, look at it often, apply it always for a set period of time.  Give yourself a break and then up the bar.  Its more about consistency than heroic self denial.  You can do this.  Now, to shamelessly steal a good line, "just do it".

The beep test.  If the rules don't work, break them.  You're a Chaossin, right?  Its not immoral or illegal, right?  If you had kept going after stopping for one step, you would have lost one step.  Maybe your test would have ended there, or maybe you could have made up the difference.  Either way you could have taken a 10 minute rest and done it again.  You're making the beep test the end all.  Keep in mind its just a stepping stone.  Make it your plaything.  "As Obax thinketh, so she is", right?

Eye surgery.  Perhaps, way back in your subconscious, all of the anxiety and uncertainty about this is eating up all of your will power, leaving you with less to apply to your other tasks.  I would think that right now your main focus is getting your head around this surgery and the recovery afterwards.  The flipping beep test will still be there in a week or two.  So will the rest of your goals. If Wolverine can bite the bullet and focus on healing so can you.  I like his advice that you do another beep test before the surgery.  I think you should do five and be comatose for the surgery.  Its easy to be a couch potato when your thighs are screaming at you as they recover:)  Of course, you have to remember that I do really stupid sh!t on a regular basis, so all my advice is pretty suspect...

Nah, man, that's all good advice, and what I needed to hear (read?). I know all these things rationally, but my emotions don't always agree my rationality (it's a love/hate relationship, really). And I think I am more anxious about this eye thing than I realize, and now that I'm no longer mad at myself I can see that that's probably a big contributing factor, because my sleep has been terrible the last few days too, which happens when I get anxious about things. Weird, right? That NEVER happens to anyone else, EVER...

I'm in a much better frame of mind today, thanks to you and everyone else who chimed in with advice etc. Sometimes I think I just need to be a 2-year-old and have a little tantrum and then I feel better after... Either way, I'm taking all this good advice and putting it to work, and I'm trying really hard to not get so impatient with myself (this is a big fault of mine, and always has been, sometimes I forget I know this about myself...)

Today's Workout:

Climbing, ~45 mins. Did some warmup/cooldown stuff too, but not as much, because my time-management was terrible today. Back to my old computer habit... No time for the post-climbing workout or any real stretching, though I can probably do some of that later at work when no one's looking.

Haven't decided yet what I want to do tomorrow. Thinking of climbing again, then running on Wednesday. I suppose I could do the beep test tomorrow and climb on Wednesday too... I can't climb 3 days in a row, I don't think, but I've got it in my head that I'm doing the beep test on Wednesday, so that's probably when I should do it.

I'm over-thinking things again, maybe I should just see what I feel like doing tomorrow, and then do that.

Maybe try taking it easy in the beep test? Because after all, it IS a test. I would think that you'd be better served to do HIIT or Tabata. Maybe only do the beep test once a week or every other week just as a bench mark. Just a thought.

I have been doing the beep test only once per week, as a measure of my progress and as practice of the turning technique. I'm only doing it on this coming Wednesday because I'll be laid up on the usual day I do it later in the week, because of the laser eye surgery, and I think if I skipped it I'd be dwelling on my previous poor performance the whole time, and the fact that I skipped it in the previous two weeks too...

Belated weigh-in update:

I forgot again, but remembered after only a bit of coffee. 172.6lbs. I think the initial 171.whatever was probably a bit low, I was pretty dehydrated that morning, more than usual, but 172 is still nice to see. It definitely didn't help last night when I came home from work and ate some iced cream, though I think I still kept it under my calorie amount, barely...

There you go!  Attack it like a savage:)

Wouldn't the climbing people be surprised if I came running into the gym and started tearing at the walls with my teeth? My dentist would probably be surprised too...

(Attacking things with teeth is what my mind conjures up any time someone says the word 'savage'...)