• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

Holy shit! I can see!!  :triumphant:

All is good. I'm officially allowed to look at things again, but I'm gonna limit my time on any one device/entertainment object at a given time, just to be on the safe side. Turns out it's not the looking that's bad, it's the fact that we don't tend to blink as much when we look at TVs, computers, books, and the like. So as long as I consciously blink a lot, I should be all good.

It was both terrifying and surreal, but they moved so fast and efficiently I didn't really have time to process what was going on at the time, so it was more like it just happened to me and afterwards was when I realized exactly what was going on. The Atavan they gave me either didn't work, or there was no way I would have been able to do it without, I was still scared shitless... AFter, even though things were foggy at first (due to corneal swelling, it was normal), everything was immediately in focus. And now that the swelling's gone down and everything is all clear, I can read the license plates across the street no problem.

New challenge goal: Don't rub my eyes! Ever! I'm going to make a point of asking today how long I should avoid this, since I consider a good eye-rub one of life's great pleasures...

I want more exercise shorts with pockets but they are apparently hard to find. Like really hard. I have three pairs that I bought like 6 years ago. I've had to fix the seams multiple times but I love them. I have other shorts but none I like as well.

Besides workout shorts, I solve the problem of not finding shorts I like by wearing skirts and dresses all summer. Lol

I buy men's workout shorts, they all seem to have pockets and don't end 1 inch below my underwear line. Skirts and dresses are absolutely not my thing, I haven't had a dress on since before I was old enough to choose my own clothes (I had a lot of my older male cousin's hand-me-downs, and was quite happy with that). I'm a tomboy through and through, so if shorts don't work for me, I don't have another option other than nudity... And, frankly, it gets so hot here in the summer that even nudity is not enough to cool you down...

Holy shit! I can see!!  :triumphant:

All is good. I'm officially allowed to look at things again, but I'm gonna limit my time on any one device/entertainment object at a given time, just to be on the safe side. Turns out it's not the looking that's bad, it's the fact that we don't tend to blink as much when we look at TVs, computers, books, and the like. So as long as I consciously blink a lot, I should be all good.

It was both terrifying and surreal, but they moved so fast and efficiently I didn't really have time to process what was going on at the time, so it was more like it just happened to me and afterwards was when I realized exactly what was going on. The Atavan they gave me either didn't work, or there was no way I would have been able to do it without, I was still scared shitless... AFter, even though things were foggy at first (due to corneal swelling, it was normal), everything was immediately in focus. And now that the swelling's gone down and everything is all clear, I can read the license plates across the street no problem.

New challenge goal: Don't rub my eyes! Ever! I'm going to make a point of asking today how long I should avoid this, since I consider a good eye-rub one of life's great pleasures...

Hooray! So glad it went well, and that you're already seeing clearly. That's awesome. Keep blinking!

Hooray! So glad it went well, and that you're already seeing clearly. That's awesome. Keep blinking!

I'm taking inspiration from your avatar.

I'm taking inspiration from your avatar.

Haha, that's perfect! Just blink when I do! Or actually, maybe more often, mine's a very slow blink.

Just had my day one check up. All is perfect, she could barely see the edge of the flap it was so perfectly aligned. Also, my vision is 20/15, ie. better than perfect, though it may not stay that way. I'm apparently doing a stellar job of not poking my own eyes out, according to the doctor. So yay!

I buy men's workout shorts, they all seem to have pockets and don't end 1 inch below my underwear line. Skirts and dresses are absolutely not my thing, I haven't had a dress on since before I was old enough to choose my own clothes (I had a lot of my older male cousin's hand-me-downs, and was quite happy with that). I'm a tomboy through and through, so if shorts don't work for me, I don't have another option other than nudity... And, frankly, it gets so hot here in the summer that even nudity is not enough to cool you down...

I've tried on men's workout shorts and they are just awkwardly long. I want something in between men's shorts and women's shorts (I'm picky, I know, lol) I want more pairs like the three I have. Haha

I'm one of those strange girls who would much rather hang out with the guys and but also loves dresses. Lol

And I'm glad your surgery went so well!! Yay being able to see :D

Don't you love it!  20/15, you'll be able to shoot the backside off a gnat at 25 meters on the range:)  Don't get cocky though, give your eyes all the time they need to heal.  don't rush it, life is long.  And definitely get some cool safety glasses for your geocaching.

Went for a walk today after 2 days of laying on the couch/lazing around the house. Felt good to get out and about, but being out of doors really irritates my eyes. 45 minutes seems to be about my limit, for today anyway. They're generally feeling better than yesterday, so that's good. It seems to make me a bit nauseous too, being outside too long, it happened this morning too and all I was doing was sitting on a wall in the sun...

My sister and I were successful in acquiring tickets to the music festival we always go to in the summer, yay! The weekend passes were sold out in, like, 3 hours, as per usual, so waiting in line from 6-10 (8-10 for me) was worth it again. I'm pretty sure the tickets would sell out faster if they could make the line move faster...

Very tired now. Considering a nap, or at least some more lying quietly on the couch with my eyes shut. I'm also trying to work up the never to shower...

Don't you love it!  20/15, you'll be able to shoot the backside off a gnat at 25 meters on the range:)  Don't get cocky though, give your eyes all the time they need to heal.  don't rush it, life is long.  And definitely get some cool safety glasses for your geocaching.

Yes, dad....

You don't have to worry, I'm being super careful, not only is it my eyes, which I like being able to see out of, but also my entire future (as it's currently mapped out in my head), so if anything I'll be more careful than I need to be. I'm going through artificial tears like they're going out of style, that's for sure. I told the eye doctor that and she actually cheered and said they like wet eyes. It just always looks like I'm crying, is all...

I'm definitely happy with 20/15, everything is so clear and crisp. It might not stay that way, but even if it regresses a little I'll still probably have 20/20, but I hope it does, I like the idea of one part of me being better than perfect. The glasses they gave me are much less silly than I'd imagined, they're basically the shaded safety glasses that look like the sport sunglasses they wear in baseball, without all the rainbow colours on the lenses. I plan to keep them for driving, at least, they're nice and dark and there's no glare, and I already own them. Not really my style, but I can switch when I get out of the car...

The more I think about it the more I think clear safety glasses for forresty geocaching are a good idea, even if my family members make fun of me. They were probably a good idea before they shone lasers in my eyes, and now even more so. Once it doesn't irritate my eyes to go out the front door, I'll head on over to Canadian Tire and peruse the options.

Sorry about doing the "parent" thing:O

When you're checking out safety glasses try the yellow ones out, they seem to magnify the light to me.  Good for twilight and night time driving.

The coolest part about yellow glasses, is that once you get used to them, everything seems purple forma bit once you take them off. However, I've found red tinted glasses really cut down on glare, but don't seem to hamper night vision as much as other kinds.

Sorry about doing the "parent" thing:O

No worries, I just get lectures all the time from my actual parents, it always amuses me when others do it and I feel the need to give them a hard time for it :)

When you're checking out safety glasses try the yellow ones out, they seem to magnify the light to me.  Good for twilight and night time driving.

The coolest part about yellow glasses, is that once you get used to them, everything seems purple forma bit once you take them off. However, I've found red tinted glasses really cut down on glare, but don't seem to hamper night vision as much as other kinds.

I had no idea there were so many types of safety glasses... I think my best bet for minimizing the amount of ribbing I get from my sister would be to go with the colourless ones. That doesn't mean that I can't increase my regular sunglasses collection to include lenses of each colour of the rainbow, though... 

Week 3 Sum-Up:

Yet another mixed bag, not entirely my fault, but mostly...

Beep Goal:

Made level 6 on Wednesday, which was good, it's where I was planning to start from at the beginning of this challenge, and it's good to know I'm capable of achieving that still. Also learned an important lesson about my own internal dialogue when I'm doing that sort of thing.

Next week will be a wash, I still have to stay frosty (in both senses of the phrase) until Friday afternoon (my next eye appointment). After that I'm not anticipating setting any PRs after being off for a week, but hopefully I can maintain.

Stretching:

Still being not good about this. The last few days I've really been focused on how my eyes feel and doing what I need to for them, but now that I'm feeling better, I gotta get on this (finally). Next week I will not be lazy (or attempt to not be lazy) and actually do this. It was officially confirmed as an activity I was allowed to do by the eye people, so I have no real excuse.

Grip:

See above, though it wasn't officially ok'd as something I can do, it's not so strenuous that I can see it being a problem. If I can remember/find the energy to stretch, I can remember/find the energy to try this and see how it goes.

Tracking:

I've gotten away from it since my surgery, but before that it was great. For a couple of days after I wasn't allowed to look at electronics or books, so I let myself have a pass for that, but now that I'm feeling better, and short-term computer peering is allowed, and I no longer have an excuse not to.

Time:

Did not go well before my surgery, I was wasting a lot of time on the computer. I think it was the anxiety about it sapping my willpower such that I fell back into old habits easily. I'm ok with this. Now, I have nothing but time, since I'm limited in the amount that I can do all the things that I have previously wasted time at. I also have way less to do, since I'm not allowed to exercise for a while. In the next week I plan to cross a number of things off my list on my first post, namely cleaning my room and car, which could take a couple of days. I'll just have to take frequent eye-drop breaks, is all.

Geocached today, but only found a couple. My sister took us into thick brush, and I chickened out despite the fact I had my safety glasses on. It was  a long day in the sun and I'm tired, and I think I have a bit of raccoon eyes from the sun. Gonna try to stretch tonight while watching hockey, but at the moment I only want to lay here. Also made some poor food choices, but at least I logged them, or will shortly...

Eyes feel good today, just kinda dry. I'll be using lots of artificial tears for a while, I think, but that's ok. I get to take the glasses off tomorrow, yay!

Geocached today, but only found a couple. My sister took us into thick brush, and I chickened out despite the fact I had my safety glasses on. It was  a long day in the sun and I'm tired, and I think I have a bit of raccoon eyes from the sun. Gonna try to stretch tonight while watching hockey, but at the moment I only want to lay here. Also made some poor food choices, but at least I logged them, or will shortly...

Eyes feel good today, just kinda dry. I'll be using lots of artificial tears for a while, I think, but that's ok. I get to take the glasses off tomorrow, yay!

Its good that you were getting out and trying to do something but not pushing too hard. Definitely seems like a good balance!! Glad the surgery seemed to go so well :D Not being able to exercise is frustrating but you are dealing with it so well!! And it will feel amazing when you can exercise again :)

Not being able to exercise is frustrating but you are dealing with it so well!! 

Ha! This is because I am, by nature, lazy. It's all too easy for me to take a week off. I miss climbing not because of the exercise but because it's fun and mentally stimulating, but I really don't miss running. 

That's maybe not entirely true, I was thinking last night that maybe I could try a few pushup variations at some point, except on the coffee table or bannister, to hit different muscles without having to get all the way to proper pushups yet (while still working on that too). But I was also watching hockey at the time, and that always gets me fired up...

Way to go on the beep test!  Any kind of progress is great even if it is just baby steps.  I am super jealous of your eyes!  I am seriously considering having Lasik myself and am going to make an appointment with my optometrist.  The only potential drawback is that I think I have to go out of town to have it done.  I don't think anyone does it in my city.  This would mean more expenses for travel, but I am sure it is worth it!

I am sure once you are given the "ok" you will get back at it with full force!   

@Elder: For me, the Lasik wouldn't have been worth the cost if I didn't need to do it for the police requirements. It's ridiculously expensive, you don't really pay $490 per eye like they say on the ads. But my prescription wasn't that bad to begin with, I could function without glasses/contacts, and while I couldn't legally drive without them, I could have probably managed in an emergency. I could definitely see the benefits to someone with a really bad prescription, but keep in mind it costs just a tad more than an arm and a leg.

That said, now that it's done I'm happy to not have to fuss with glasses or contacts. That is a definite selling point even for me, but that alone would not have been worth the cost for me (for reference, I could buy a car for less. A beater, admittedly, but still a car that goes...) Not that I'm trying to deter you, but I've had so many people get all excited when I tell them I had it done and say 'Oh, I wanna do that!', I just want to make sure they've got the whole story, or at least my whole story. 

Haha yes.  I am pretty blind, have had glasses since about grade 6ish.  I can't get out of bed without first putting on my glasses.  I have a few friends that have had it done and they have all paid about $2500 for the whole procedure, give or take.  I know there are different procedures you can get and you can pay more/less depending on the warranty you decide on.  I have been thinking about it for years and with my situation (glasses every other year and contacts every year) the surgery would pay itself off in about 5 years.  For me it's worth it in the long run.  If I only had to wear reading/driving glasses I would definitely not have the surgery, but I would loooove to be glasses/contacts free!  :D

Ah, yes, in your case I definitely see the appeal. I'd say go for it then, or at least start the process. My experience has been great so far, though I just had an eyelash in my eye and I had to work hard not to panic (I'm a bit paranoid about my eyes at the moment. I got it out, all is good), and I'm still amazed every time I look out the window and realize I can read the park sign way down the street (which I couldn't do even with glasses before).