• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax Keeps on Truckin'

Heh. That made me smile, though I will say I have a subconscious dislike of Alberta because someone from there treated me very badly, and I associate the two in my head now, even though I know that's not fair. But she was from Calgary, so maybe I'll just think like an Edmontonian (is that the proper term?) and hate Calgary instead :)

I actually do love Toronto the city, I lived there for 4 years and want to be back there as soon as I can be. But some of the people who live there could use a giant dose of humility and should probably start practicing the tried-and-true method of not being douche called 'Shut the F*** Up'. 

Yeah Calgary sucks. Lol. And as far as I know, Edmontonian is the correct word.

And I'm glad you only hate Alberta because someone treated you badly. If you were one of those hypocrites who hates the oil sands while still utilizing every product and service that stems from them (often just as much as everyone else) we totally couldn't be friends anymore. Lol.

I have the official ok from my eye doctor to go back to my usual workouts, yay! To celebrate, today I did nothing but eat poutine! It's amazing, and a little disturbing, how easily I feel back into my couch potato ways of the past, and how I don't especially want to move away from them again... I blame the clouds and single digit temperatures (in Celsius, don't freak out, Americans). I just have to get my brain back in gear...

Tomorrow I'll go for a jog to get myself started again. I just put away all my cold weather running gear, hopefully it's a bit warmer tomorrow so I don't have to dig it all out again...

After reading your thread I must be the only weirdo that actually kinda likes doing laundry, or at least the putting clothes away part. That's my favorite part. Lol.  (My roommate loves that part cause I usually end up putting all his clothes away too cause I'm nice like that, lol)

I did not get up at my alarm today, but instead turned it off and went back to sleep for 2 more hours. It was a conscious decision, and I needed the sleep, so I'm ok with this.

I have had days like that. I love the attitude about it. If you know you need it, you definitely shouldn't feel guilty about it :D

Ha! This is because I am, by nature, lazy. It's all too easy for me to take a week off. I miss climbing not because of the exercise but because it's fun and mentally stimulating, but I really don't miss running. 

That's maybe not entirely true, I was thinking last night that maybe I could try a few pushup variations at some point, except on the coffee table or bannister, to hit different muscles without having to get all the way to proper pushups yet (while still working on that too). But I was also watching hockey at the time, and that always gets me fired up...

I have the official ok from my eye doctor to go back to my usual workouts, yay! To celebrate, today I did nothing but eat poutine! It's amazing, and a little disturbing, how easily I feel back into my couch potato ways of the past, and how I don't especially want to move away from them again... I blame the clouds and single digit temperatures (in Celsius, don't freak out, Americans). I just have to get my brain back in gear...

Tomorrow I'll go for a jog to get myself started again. I just put away all my cold weather running gear, hopefully it's a bit warmer tomorrow so I don't have to dig it all out again...

Yay for the okay from the eye doc!! Its easy to fall back into old habits but we are all here rooting for you! Once you start again I'm sure you will feel so much better (I had this same problem when I had to take 3 days off for my dizziness treatment, the first 10 min of that first workout weren't fun, but then after that I got back into the groove and have felt wonderful :D)

And hopefully the weather cooperates. And I loved your comment about Americans!! (My roommate keeps his phone in Celsius cause he's a scientist at heart and it always throws me for a loop when I ask him the temp and he's like 10 degrees. My brain never knows what to make of it, lol)

Mother nature seems to be conspiring against me. I choose lazy again today, what sealed the deal was when it started snowing sideways. I've got a lot on the go today anyway. Tomorrow I will climb, at least, and if it's no longer snowing sideways, maybe even run. Woo!

I really should check out the climbing gym on a weekend one of these days. I've always assumed it's busy and therefore no good, but I don't actually know...

To quote my Journeyman: assumption is the mother of all f@*# ups.

And sideways snow sucks. I totally don't blame you for not wanting to run in that!

Mother nature seems to be conspiring against me. I choose lazy again today, what sealed the deal was when it started snowing sideways. I've got a lot on the go today anyway. Tomorrow I will climb, at least, and if it's no longer snowing sideways, maybe even run. Woo!

I really should check out the climbing gym on a weekend one of these days. I've always assumed it's busy and therefore no good, but I don't actually know...

Yuck, sideways snow, well any snow in May is yuck. Sending some sunshine your way. Yesterday it was 75(Fahrenheit) and sunny when we went caching.

Week 4 Sum-Up:

Is week 4 already over?

Anyway, not much to say. This was my off week due to lasers in my eyes. I didn't do a great job of stretching, nor of cleaning my room (did some of both, but not as much as I should have), but I did clean my car! Overall I say a C. I also let the weather keep me on the couch a couple of days longer than I really needed to...

Also, I think Mother Nature really is conspiring against me. Today I feel like crap. Just a cold, I think, but that turns me into a giant baby and makes motivation, especially for running, even harder than usual. I'll have to make myself tough it out, I've had enough of the off time (that's not true, I could totally never get off the couch again...)

Related to that last, I'm amazed at how easily I adjusted to my off time, and how hard it is getting back into the swing of things. Mentally, I feel like I'm starting at square one, even though physically I know I'm not. Gah.

I wanted to post this video of Chirs Hadfield's version of Space Odity because I think it's cool, and also this guy is a huge hero of mine. I can't figure out how to embed the video, but click the link, it's worth it.

Now, to climbing!

I wanted to post this video of Chirs Hadfield's version of Space Odity because I think it's cool, and also this guy is a huge hero of mine. I can't figure out how to embed the video, but click the link, it's worth it.

Now, to climbing!

Thank you,  that was epic.

Climbing yesterday was a bit of a bust. They reset the walls last week for their Star Wars themed end-of-the-season bash, which means the holds were placed with the visual design in mind rather than the creation of an actual problem (the holds were all connected by tape to create Star Wars pictures). This meant that there was only one 'problem' that I could do and it was ridiculously easy. They also moved the rings so I wasn't able to even play around with those. Hopefully they reset it to normal soon, or else I'm gonna waste a month of membership fees by not being able to climb...

On a plus, I tried a few pull-up negatives and was able to hold myself for a few seconds at the top, and then to stop myself and hold for a few seconds half way down. I wasn't able to pull back up at all, but this is progress over the last time I did them, when I could neither hold myself at the top nor stop myself on the way down.

I didn't do any other type of workout yesterday, partly because I was bummed about not really being able to climb, and partly because I felt more and more like crap as the day went on. Turns out it wasn't the beginnings of a cold, it was an incubating stomach thing that left me with horrible cramps by the evening. No idea what it was, but I feel more or less fine today, so I guess that's that.

Today I ran 2k in about 11 minutes. I couldn't find my digital watch so I timed it on my analog watch, so I could be within a few seconds either way of 11 minutes. One of my better times, and also surprising after so long of doing nothing, so yay. It still wasn't enjoyable, but it was less horrible that usual, so I guess that's something...

Obax, when you have sufficient recovery your performance will improve. 

And since when weren't Canadians Americans?  Last time I looked "America" included Canada, the US, Mexico, Central and South America...(Don't you hate it when people get literal on you?:)

Obax, when you have sufficient recovery your performance will improve. 

And since when weren't Canadians Americans?  Last time I looked "America" included Canada, the US, Mexico, Central and South America...(Don't you hate it when people get literal on you? :)

Looking at it after, I realized that the week+ off was probably good for me in terms of performance, I was less surprised by the pull-up negatives than the run time. I have found in the past that my cardio drops very quickly if I don't keep it up, I was expecting a middling sort of time due to my muscles being nice and rested but my lungs being like 'WTF?!? Holy crap, go back to the couch!'. I think I did a better job than usual of pacing myself too, since I went into it with a mindset of 'this might not be great, just take it easy at first', so I didn't burn up the first 300m and then die on the uphills.

I may also be North American, but I, along with most (but not all) of the other American countries, use logical measurement systems like Celsius and Metric (I'm assuming this is what you're referring to?), whereas one (or maybe 2?) notable exceptions insist on staying in the stone age with their Ferinheight and Imperial, which make my brain hurt. Makes sense for a caveman like you, I suppose, but a nation? Pshaw, I say! Pshaw!

And yes, I do hate it when people get literal on me, but I totally deserve it, since I do it to others all the time. I'm (not so) secretly a giant shit disturber *evil grin*

Also, my mistake, I should not have used the term 'Americans'. I should have gone with 'Mercians (pronounced mer-Kins) as the more proper term.

Today was a good day, but did not go at all to plan. Originally my plan was: get up, eat, chill, walk dogs, workout, eat, climb, watch hockey. The way it went was: get up, eat, chill, chill, chill, walk dogs, hang/geocache with my sister, and bring her soup 'cuz she's sick, chill, eat, start to workout, chat with neighbour for 30 min, finish working out, don't climb, watch the end of hockey.

I will be stretching shortly. I practiced my grip, but not in the GTG fashion I'd originally intended (I think I've given up on this one). I tracked my food, but I only ate 2 meals today, so I have lots of calories left over (maybe I'll finish my iced cream off tonight). I chilled excessively, but still did all the things I wanted (I'm ok with missing climbing, I'm mad at the stoopid walls they have right now).

Today's Workout:

My first ever playground workout! It was good. My arms are tired...

I did the following (not in this order):

Pull-up negatives (neutral grip): 5, 5, 5, +1 to demonstrate to my mom

Box jumps (~18 inches high): 10, 10, 10

Tuck L-sit (on parallel bars, in seconds): 20, 15, 15, +~5 to demonstrate to my mom

Incline Pushups: 5, 5, 5

Triceps Pushups: 5, 5, 10

Jump Squats: 10, 10, 10

Inverted rows (1st + 3rd sets underhand, 2nd overhand): 9, 10, 10

Knuckle Dead-Hangs (seconds): ~10, ~21

I also hung from the monkey bars such that my body was parallel to the ground and my feet were up on one of the bars. I didn't really time it but it was probably about 15 seconds. It was more for fun than anything, I pretended I was climbing.

Notes:

- the first few negatives of each set, I was able to hold myself at the top for 3-5 seconds, then lower myself down. By the end of each set I could not.

- 10 triceps pushups surprised me, but I think the bar I used is somewhat higher than the bannister I have been using 'til now

- incline pushups were on a thing that was somewhat lower than the coffee table I have been using. 5 just about killed me but I did it.

- inverted rows were harder than I remember, but the footing was also bad (pea gravel)

- any progress on the L-sit will require a huge improvement in my hamstring flexibility. Holy, it's bad.

- box jumps are scary when you're staring at a giant, solid chunk of wood...

- I thought about trying to jump a bike rack, which was less than hip height, but I could not make myself do it. Mostly I couldn't figure out how to make my body move. I was overthinking it, but I also can't decide what side feels more natural for me to swing my legs over on.

You're doing us proud Obax! Keep bring awesome!

And co fears on the box jumps :)

Thanks! Once I did a few jumps, it was fine. I measured compared to my leg, and it's about the same height as I was doing at the gym, but that giant chunk of wood was intimidating. I knew how much it would hurt if I biffed it...

Looking at it after, I realized that the week+ off was probably good for me in terms of performance, I was less surprised by the pull-up negatives than the run time. I have found in the past that my cardio drops very quickly if I don't keep it up, I was expecting a middling sort of time due to my muscles being nice and rested but my lungs being like 'WTF?!? Holy crap, go back to the couch!'. I think I did a better job than usual of pacing myself too, since I went into it with a mindset of 'this might not be great, just take it easy at first', so I didn't burn up the first 300m and then die on the uphills.

I may also be North American, but I, along with most (but not all) of the other American countries, use logical measurement systems like Celsius and Metric (I'm assuming this is what you're referring to?), whereas one (or maybe 2?) notable exceptions insist on staying in the stone age with their Ferinheight and Imperial, which make my brain hurt. Makes sense for a caveman like you, I suppose, but a nation? Pshaw, I say! Pshaw!

And yes, I do hate it when people get literal on me, but I totally deserve it, since I do it to others all the time. I'm (not so) secretly a giant shit disturber *evil grin*

Also, my mistake, I should not have used the term 'Americans'. I should have gone with 'Mercians (pronounced mer-Kins) as the more proper term.

Yeah, sometimes I like to hassle people too, but I mean it in the kindest way possible:)

The United States, as a nation and all of its citizens individually, is/are rational/logical in the same way that a two year old is:  I want what I want when I want it!  Everything else you see follows from this philosophy quite clearly.  Which is why we're not so much a "melting pot" as a pot boiling over...

"Merkins" is a common regional dialect, yes.  If you move farther south and east it often becomes "Ah-Marry-kin", which explains a lot, despite being a bit disturbing:)

Awesome playground work! I plan to do some of that kind of work this summer.

Thanks! I just wish the playground wasn't at a school, I feel a bit awkward about the idea of using it during school hours, even when the kids are all inside...

Yay playground workouts!! Looks like you had a lot of fun :D

And I hope the gym gets back to normal soon!!

How are your fancy new eyes doing?

I did have fun, actually, I think I'm gonna keep something like this up as regularly as I can. And my new eyes are doing great. They're pretty well done healing, they're just a bit dry, mostly in the morning. I'm still being cautious about rubbing them, but other than that I'm back to normal. Except that I can see better than when I had glasses!

Go, O, go!  Good to see you feeling better and back on the wagon!

Thanks! It's been harder than I thought it would be to get back on that wagon, but I'm at least managing to cling precariously to the side as it careens wildly along...

Yeah, sometimes I like to hassle people too, but I mean it in the kindest way possible:)

"Merkins" is a common regional dialect, yes.  If you move farther south and east it often becomes "Ah-Marry-kin", which explains a lot, despite being a bit disturbing:)

You like to hassle people!?! Holy crap, I never knew that about you! I guess you learn something new every day, eh?

I encountered the term Merkins in some satire-type show when someone was parodying George W., I think. I remember being quite amuse by it, and my sister and I tend to use in now when we're making fun of the U.S. in general (just so you don't feel bad, I should tell you that we make almost an equal amount of fun of Canadians too. We're equal opportunity mockers...)