• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl: The Next Mission

Such a great workout again! How long did all of that take?

About 45 minutes, not including the walk. I didn't spend much time doing the side crow, just a few attempts. Didn't spend a bunch of time on anything really :redface-new: Just did it until I was tired of it and moved on :redface-new:

My friend called me today and told me she is trying gluten free for 30 days to see if it helps her psoriasis(sp?) I hope it does. Pretty cool that she is trying it. She wanted to know where to buy gluten free stuff, I told her I really just don't do the bread stuff even if it gluten free. I've told her this before, but I don't think it makes sense so she forgets it. geI told her that stores have tons of gluten free stuff, but that I felt healthier just keeping it to eat and veggies. "But what do you eat for breaksfast? "this morning I had turkeyburgers and salsa and avocado." For breakfast?" Me: "Yep, and loved it" I  think she will probably go for the gluten free stuff, but I hope that that may help her skin issues.

Kettlebell Like You Mean It

plank sliders- I do these while I'm making breakfast

warm up

2 x circuit

halo

prime pump stretch

face the wall squats

10 dive bombers (just to impress H.N.)

clean and press 1-2-3-4-5-did this ladder 5x

push ups 1-2-3-4-5/1-2-3-4-5

chin ups - regular if I can, step assisted if I need it, negatives at end of set 1-2-3-4-5- did ladder 4x(was supposed to end with dead hang but I forgot)

swings 7 min 25lb 121swings

Dinner tonight:http://everydaypaleo.com/mexican-meatballs/#more-4504

Only instead of pureeing my own tomatoes I used canned tomato sauce. I made double the sauce. Then I steamed sliced cabbage and poured the sauce and meatball over it. Nommer.

Haha! I love how people don't seem to grasp the idea that we can live without grains without difficulty. It's as if you told them you've stopped breathing or being happy. Well at least she is trying to change her diet which is a good start :)
And your dinner sounds amazing!

Well done on your workout! It's a really great one! Dive bombers are so awesome and awesomely hard! I always feel such a great sense of accomplishment when I finish a set :D

My parents are the same way. Not long ago the come UNGLUED on me about not eating "properly". They got really emotional about it. After trying (poorly) to reason with them for a while, I eventually said "look. I'm in the best shape of my life, I feel healthy as a horse, and my stomach isn't NEARLY as messed up as it used to be. This conversation is over." But they still weren't pleased. Cuz, you know, as a grown assed man I'm still too young and stupid to stop doing something if its hurting me.

Thankfully, I was never into muffins, waffles, sandwiches, crackers, etc, so it wasn't that hard for me to cut them out. My husband, however, looks at me like I'm crazy when I make hamburger eggs for breakfast, lol.

I don't think I've ever made a recipe from Everyday Paleo, as written, that I actually enjoyed. Her family's tastebuds are very different from ours, but she does give me good ideas. :)

Huh, I always thought breakfast was the easy gluten-free meal - eggs and bacon, or sausage, or an omelet, are all pretty standard. Lunches are harder - sandwiches are so convenient! Anyway, I hope it works out for your friend!

My parents are the same way. Not long ago the come UNGLUED on me about not eating "properly". They got really emotional about it. After trying (poorly) to reason with them for a while, I eventually said "look. I'm in the best shape of my life, I feel healthy as a horse, and my stomach isn't NEARLY as messed up as it used to be. This conversation is over." But they still weren't pleased. Cuz, you know, as a grown assed man I'm still too young and stupid to stop doing something if its hurting me.

I get the same reactions from my dad, though he's toned it down a lot since I yelled at him (actually). And I'm 32. I've never had any life experience or gathered any information about anything, so of course I don't know what I'm doing...

Thankfully, I was never into muffins, waffles, sandwiches, crackers, etc, so it wasn't that hard for me to cut them out. My husband, however, looks at me like I'm crazy when I make hamburger eggs for breakfast, lol.

I don't think I've ever made a recipe from Everyday Paleo, as written, that I actually enjoyed. Her family's tastebuds are very different from ours, but she does give me good ideas. :)

You can make any recipe disaster a success with hot sauce:)

Tried some more of my coconut butter. The recipe says that yo may want to heat it before you eat it, and I think it was a must. I couldn't spoon it up, it was hard and chalky. Stuck it in the mcrowave for 20 sec on med and it was soft and good. So, if yo don't have a microwave and your live in a semi cold area, not sure how good it would be.

Went on a walk with my friend today. I love chatting and walking.

Played around some with gymnastic stuff too. WOOT - I did a side crow. Watched this video http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/side-crow-pose

Tried several times, didn't happen. Then tried it again before dinner, and ta-da it happened. It feels like a very awkward position.

other stuff I did

hollow hold: not really fun but still a good idea

Turkish Get  Ups 20lb 5 minutes

handstand on wall: I was able to get closer to vertical than I had been before. Not sure if my problem with moving my hands closer is mental or strength or both. So funny, as my hands get closer to the wall it gets scarier and scari er, you know that feeling of "I'm going to fall" I am on a mat, I know how to fall, so part of me says its fine but the other part says "DANGER" I guess you just keep at it, until your brain finally decides it is going to be ok

squat roll as progression on pistol squat from http://www.goldmedalbodies.com/

The idea is you roll from your back into a squat position. Sounded easy enough. Could not do it. I would roll, but then didn't have the strength?balance? skill? needed to get into a squat from the roll. If I used my hand at the end I could. Oh well, I had fun trying, so I'll try again next time.

crow:tried to do a crow hold but my wrists were tired so I only managed a 20 sec. Which is fine, not going for time. Just doing it to keep in practice.

And now  while I watch some evening tv I am going to try the tripod, also from Goldmedalbodies. Just because it sounds like a fun thing to try

Maybe a "wall" facing handstand inside a door frame?  You know you can only fall back so far then if it goes down.  Also, you can put your feet on the top of the frame to catch your balance.  

Just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for stating that so clearly!

My friend called me today and told me she is trying gluten free for 30 days to see if it helps her psoriasis(sp?) I hope it does. Pretty cool that she is trying it. She wanted to know where to buy gluten free stuff, I told her I really just don't do the bread stuff even if it gluten free. I've told her this before, but I don't think it makes sense so she forgets it. geI told her that stores have tons of gluten free stuff, but that I felt healthier just keeping it to eat and veggies. "But what do you eat for breaksfast? "this morning I had turkeyburgers and salsa and avocado." For breakfast?" Me: "Yep, and loved it" I  think she will probably go for the gluten free stuff, but I hope that that may help her skin issues.

Kettlebell Like You Mean It

plank sliders- I do these while I'm making breakfast

warm up

2 x circuit

halo

prime pump stretch

face the wall squats

10 dive bombers (just to impress H.N.)

clean and press 1-2-3-4-5-did this ladder 5x

push ups 1-2-3-4-5/1-2-3-4-5

chin ups - regular if I can, step assisted if I need it, negatives at end of set 1-2-3-4-5- did ladder 4x(was supposed to end with dead hang but I forgot)

swings 7 min 25lb 121swings

Also recognize this, I have a saturday job at a grocery store where we get a lot of people complaining about the price of gluten free bread- Always gotta stop myself from saying "No one is forcing you to eat it!" They are probably convinced they don't have a choice.

Nice swing set you did there!!

Haha! I love how people don't seem to grasp the idea that we can live without grains without difficulty. It's as if you told them you've stopped breathing or being happy. Well at least she is trying to change her diet which is a good start :)

And your dinner sounds amazing!

Well done on your workout! It's a really great one! Dive bombers are so awesome and awesomely hard! I always feel such a great sense of accomplishment when I finish a set :D

I think  we have been told so frequently that we need grains that people really believe you are starving yourself and won't get nutrients you need without them. One question I'm frequently asked is how do you get enough fiber? I tell them veggies and fruit have fiber. I looked up an intersting fact on the computer whole wheat bread= 1.5 grams of fiber;avocado= 6 grams of fiber, for the win

Ha, yes. I haven't had anyone  come unglued. Just more curious and wondering how I get enough vitamins without eating bread. On the parent thing, good reminder for me. I am so trying to make that transition with my son-he is 21 and living on his own. It is really hard to remember I'm not his "mommy" in that sense anymore, and he really can make decision for himself, and doesn't need my 2 cents all the time

I did eat that stuff, but for some reason it wasn't that hard for me to transition. I do go low carb before Paleo, so I had already taken some steps. And when I really just feel the need for something I will make it with almond flour, but that is actually fairly infrequent

Huh, I always thought breakfast was the easy gluten-free meal - eggs and bacon, or sausage, or an omelet, are all pretty standard. Lunches are harder - sandwiches are so convenient! Anyway, I hope it works out for your friend!

I think she mainly eats salads for lunch anyway. They are doing the South Beach, which is lower carb

I get the same reactions from my dad, though he's toned it down a lot since I yelled at him (actually). And I'm 32. I've never had any life experience or gathered any information about anything, so of course I don't know what I'm doing...

See my answer to Church-I am really working at not being THAT parent. My parents weren't like that. They always treated me as an adult once I moved out, and I want to do the same.

Just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for stating that so clearly!

Also recognize this, I have a saturday job at a grocery store where we get a lot of people complaining about the price of gluten free bread- Always gotta stop myself from saying "No one is forcing you to eat it!" They are probably convinced they don't have a choice.

Nice swing set you did there!!

People think that you have to have grains. And KB girl said I did good on my swing-that makes me happy

Your mission sounds great! I'm not on the net much right now but I will check in when I can! Continuity is good!

Thanks

ha,ha. True

Maybe a "wall" facing handstand inside a door frame?  You know you can only fall back so far then if it goes down.  Also, you can put your feet on the top of the frame to catch your balance.  

I'll try that, thanks

See my answer to Church-I am really working at not being THAT parent. My parents weren't like that. They always treated me as an adult once I moved out, and I want to do the same.

My mom's much better at letting me do my own thing, and being willing to listen to why I do it and actually consider it, even if in the end it doesn't work for her. My dad's very set in his ways, especially since he retired, he was much more open-minded when the kids were actual kids. I think the yelling incident made him realize that I was actually serious about what I'm doing and that maybe it'd be better to be supportive. Yelling isn't the most constructive, but in this case I think it was what was needed.

And bravo to you, I think that's a hard transition to make for both sides. I know it was for me, moving from kid to adult, and I'm certain it was for my parents too, especially since there are 4 of us and we all went at different times (and now I'm back again). I hope if I ever have kids I'll be that kind of parent too.

Don't be afraid to give your 2 cents EG. I always appreciate when my parents weigh in. Just not when they decide that I'm absolutely wrong based on the simple fact that my opinion differs from theirs, and I must be lectured to until I see things their way. Because clearly no one who has lived, does live, or ever will live can possibly be as well versed on any topic as they are.

I've always believed that it is a parents duty, not to protect their kids, but to tech them to protect themselves. I'm sure you're doing far better than you think you are :)

I told Mr Incredible that I needed his help with a very important decision. I explained the need to name my sledgehammer. Always willing to help, the first thing he said was, "By Grabthar's Hammer you shall be avenged!" http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=galaxy+quest+you+shall+be+avenged&mid=9B434212A021D128F15C9B434212A021D128F15C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

So, there you have it. My sledgehammer will hencerforth be referred to as Grabthar's Hammer.

Grabthar's Hammer 8 min

I absolutely love the name!! Now it makes me want to watch the movie...

My business partner is gluten free now. His younger sister was diagnosed with Celiacs and he decided to go gluten free to help support her. I thought it was so sweet :) Plus he's lost like 20 lbs since January. And who wants breakfast food for breakfast? Lol. I actually eat a lot more breakfast food now than I did for a while, mainly in the form of eggs and ham with some green peppers. Its delicious. (I was never much into pancakes/waffles/cereal etc... for breakfast. They just never seemed to give me the energy I needed for the day)

Definitely with Aeryn on this one. I do miss my sandwiches some days. They are soooo easy.

Don't be afraid to give your 2 cents EG. I always appreciate when my parents weigh in. Just not when they decide that I'm absolutely wrong based on the simple fact that my opinion differs from theirs, and I must be lectured to until I see things their way. Because clearly no one who has lived, does live, or ever will live can possibly be as well versed on any topic as they are.

I've always believed that it is a parents duty, not to protect their kids, but to tech them to protect themselves. I'm sure you're doing far better than you think you are :)

And I too think that the 2 cents from is parent is great, as long as they don't give you the same 2 cents dozens of times. Lol. And from everything that I've seen, I think you are a great mom :)

Parenting is the hardest, most complicated experience around.  There is nothing that you do as a parent that you will not revisit and second guess for the rest of your days, no matter how right or good it was or was not.

True story right there. 

Seconded. From what I can see, it looks like you're doing this very well!

Parenting is the hardest, most complicated experience around.  There is nothing that you do as a parent that you will not revisit and second guess for the rest of your days, no matter how right or good it was or was not.

Amen.  Last night we had a 30 min. discussion about whether or not we should sneak into the Boy Wonder's room to turn off his ceiling fan.  I imagine these discussions get longer and more complicated as the kid gets older... :)

Thought I'd give this a try...and then I remembered how short I was. My feet don't get anywhere close to the top of the frame. I need a hobbit house :smile-new:

My mom's much better at letting me do my own thing, and being willing to listen to why I do it and actually consider it, even if in the end it doesn't work for her. My dad's very set in his ways, especially since he retired, he was much more open-minded when the kids were actual kids. I think the yelling incident made him realize that I was actually serious about what I'm doing and that maybe it'd be better to be supportive. Yelling isn't the most constructive, but in this case I think it was what was needed.

And bravo to you, I think that's a hard transition to make for both sides. I know it was for me, moving from kid to adult, and I'm certain it was for my parents too, especially since there are 4 of us and we all went at different times (and now I'm back again). I hope if I ever have kids I'll be that kind of parent too.

Yea, sounds like your dad needed to be yelled at a bit. It is just a transistion time for my son and I. All in all, I think I'm doing pretty good, but sometimes I speak first before I think.

I agree with that philsophy of teaching kids to protect themselves. And I think I did a pretty good job of it. Problem always comes in that it is a lot easier to have a philsophy than to act on it. :smile-new: And now I need to trust that my son is smart enough to make decisions on his own, which most of the time I'm pretty good at.

I absolutely love the name!! Now it makes me want to watch the movie...

My business partner is gluten free now. His younger sister was diagnosed with Celiacs and he decided to go gluten free to help support her. I thought it was so sweet :) Plus he's lost like 20 lbs since January. And who wants breakfast food for breakfast? Lol. I actually eat a lot more breakfast food now than I did for a while, mainly in the form of eggs and ham with some green peppers. Its delicious. (I was never much into pancakes/waffles/cereal etc... for breakfast. They just never seemed to give me the energy I needed for the day)

Definitely with Aeryn on this one. I do miss my sandwiches some days. They are soooo easy.

And I too think that the 2 cents from is parent is great, as long as they don't give you the same 2 cents dozens of times. Lol. And from everything that I've seen, I think you are a great mom :)

NowT I want to see the movie again too. I agree on the 2 cents dozens of times. Over spring break, my son and I had a good conversation and I gave him some advice. That was great. But then I "reminded' him of my advice again later, and I could tell it annoyed him. Ooops. But after that I was good, I totally shut up on the matter and made a solemn pledge to myself to not bring it up again unless he asks. I

So very true. 

True story right there. 

Seconded. From what I can see, it looks like you're doing this very well!

Thanks

Amen.  Last night we had a 30 min. discussion about whether or not we should sneak into the Boy Wonder's room to turn off his ceiling fan.  I imagine these discussions get longer and more complicated as the kid gets older... :)

I don't know if they get more complicated or just different. Scarier maybe... like when he first gets his license how much he can drive :surprise:

I feel like the difficult part of teaching kids to think for themselves is that they end up thinking for themselves, and sometimes that can go off in a totally different direction than you've planned for. I can see this with my parents and my siblings, and probably with me too. It can be a struggle to mesh your own way of being with that of the independent younger organism(s) you call 'son' or 'daughter', but it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of it. I keep trying to convince my brother that when my parents are 'reminding' him of their advice, it's because they care, not because they're judging, but it can be hard for him to see it that way sometimes. It's all an endless negotiation, I think.

I'm just very lucky to have really open minded parents.

Sure they'll ask questions about my decisions, but never to talk me out of it.

Whether they agree or don't agree with me, they'll have my back and support me.

When I tried the whole30 they did ask where I would get certain nutrients, and I would look up their concerns or ask here, and then get back to them explaining what's up. And that was accepted :)

I'm just so happy I have such supportive parents. Like I want to get into sewing, so my mom got her ancient sewing machine fixed for me (after it broke down when we were working on a costume for me). It has been sitting in my storage room unused ever since... oops :tongue:

But yeah even that they'll do. Anything to help me, give me advice when I ask, but not when I don't ask, etc etc.

I keep trying to convince my brother that when my parents are 'reminding' him of their advice, it's because they care, not because they're judging, but it can be hard for him to see it that way sometimes. It's all an endless negotiation, I think.

Haha yeah. Whenever I would go against whatever my mom was trying to tell me, she'd go, you don't have to go on the defensive immediately. Just think about what I'm saying.

And turns out she was always right :tongue: