• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl: The Next Mission

Amen.  Last night we had a 30 min. discussion about whether or not we should sneak into the Boy Wonder's room to turn off his ceiling fan.  I imagine these discussions get longer and more complicated as the kid gets older... :)

That made me smile :)

I feel like the difficult part of teaching kids to think for themselves is that they end up thinking for themselves, and sometimes that can go off in a totally different direction than you've planned for. I can see this with my parents and my siblings, and probably with me too. It can be a struggle to mesh your own way of being with that of the independent younger organism(s) you call 'son' or 'daughter', but it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of it. I keep trying to convince my brother that when my parents are 'reminding' him of their advice, it's because they care, not because they're judging, but it can be hard for him to see it that way sometimes. It's all an endless negotiation, I think.

I'm just very lucky to have really open minded parents.

Sure they'll ask questions about my decisions, but never to talk me out of it.

Whether they agree or don't agree with me, they'll have my back and support me.

When I tried the whole30 they did ask where I would get certain nutrients, and I would look up their concerns or ask here, and then get back to them explaining what's up. And that was accepted :)

I'm just so happy I have such supportive parents. Like I want to get into sewing, so my mom got her ancient sewing machine fixed for me (after it broke down when we were working on a costume for me). It has been sitting in my storage room unused ever since... oops :tongue:

But yeah even that they'll do. Anything to help me, give me advice when I ask, but not when I don't ask, etc etc.

@Obax; yep, I always tried to teach my son to think for himself, and what do you know he does. Butl like you said then he doesn't always think like me :rapture: So, I am learning to let him be himself, but sometimes I'm better at it than others

@ Kibcy;that is the way my parents were too me and the way I hope to be with my son. I want him to know that I always have his back and that I am his #1 cheerleader. 

I'm reminded of something about "best intentions" and "road to Hell"...  Probably the worst thing I ever did was to teach my oldest to think for himself.  Would have worked out great if he were a genius.  Unfortunately...his idea of overcoming an obstacle is to bang his head against it until it breaks.  I'm going broke feeding him aspirin...

I'm reminded of something about "best intentions" and "road to Hell"...  Probably the worst thing I ever did was to teach my oldest to think for himself.  Would have worked out great if he were a genius.  Unfortunately...his idea of overcoming an obstacle is to bang his head against it until it breaks.  I'm going broke feeding him aspirin...

Ok, I really truly laughed out loud with that. And I'm still laughing. I am so  remembering that line. That is exactly like my son. Some times that stubborness can do him good, but yikes sometimes :grief:

You're all making me so afraid of raising my kids when they're older.  Teens and tweens are pretty scary. 

It seems like it's challenging to find that level where you're appropriately concerned and looking out for your kids, yet also cheering them on and supporting them in whatever interest they're pursuing.  I know my parents were great at looking out for me and making sure I didn't do anything stupid, but they were poor at being supportive of hobbies or interests that they didn't understand. 

You're all making me so afraid of raising my kids when they're older.  Teens and tweens are pretty scary. 

It seems like it's challenging to find that level where you're appropriately concerned and looking out for your kids, yet also cheering them on and supporting them in whatever interest they're pursuing.  I know my parents were great at looking out for me and making sure I didn't do anything stupid, but they were poor at being supportive of hobbies or interests that they didn't understand. 

Oh don't be afraid. Being a parent is one of the most rewarding things in life. Yea, their were times when my son was a tween and a little when he was a teen when we really butted heads, but he is so much fun and it is the most amazing experience to be able to watch him grow up into an incredible man that I am super proud of and consider a good friend. Sometimes the transition from kid to adult is hard, but is also just so great when you realize how much you just enjoy being with one another and hanging out

Whew so tired tonight. Worked in our veggie garden for several hours. The garden paths are overgrown with weeds, so I spent muc time digging them up. Plan is this weekend to put gravel down on the path, so they need to be deweeded.

And in woot news:  I went up a level in my clean and presses, meaning I passed the test the book said that you need to do (press at least 5x with the weight) to move up to the level. My numbers Left side:11 Right Side 9; When I started with the 15lb at the beginning of last challenge it was L.5 R. 3

note to anyone who may be frustrated  with how long it takes them to get to a new level or feel like they are just way behind where others are; The workout I am doing said women shoud start out with a 20 lb kettlebell, but that you should be able to press it at least 5 times. Well, I could barely do that with one side, and it wasn't happening with the other when I first started. I considered a few options: 1) Do it anyway with a 20lb kb, but I wasn't able to do the reps required so it was  sort of doing my own thing

2) Just give up, because I couldn't do it (briefly considered, but assassins don't just give up) 3) Do it with the 15lb whcih made me feel a bit like a wimp, but I figured I could go through it quickly. I decided to do the 15lb and I am glad I did. That way I was able to do it by the book, and I accomplished it in just over 6 weeks. And now I am ready to move up to 20lbs. Lesson learned, yes, I had to step back and do the 15 lb, but 6 weeks in the grand scheme of life isn't much.

Ok enough of the giant wall of text;

WEEK 1 Mission  Start

Goal #1 GAIN STRENGTH; did kb practice 3x a week a TGU 2x

Goal #2 PLAY

Yep, did some moves, practiced the crow, and next week I am going to try inverted leg raises and more handstand stuff

Goal #3 ASSASSIN LEAN

stay within 5 points of limiting sweets, nuts and protein powder, eating after dinner Done , kept it to 5 points. I liked that I gave myself some times where I could have these, but I had to limit. It made me choose to do it when I really wanted it. Left some points for over the weekend,

Life Goal;ORGANIZATION/HANDYMAN

Made out a list of all the big house projects to do and did a few things on them. Plan this week is the garden paths/and to order blinds. I also bought supplies for my coldframe, so getting there.

I realiized this goal is a little hard to grade. I mean the greenhouse part is easy, it just needs to b complete. But the other part is just doing things on the list and working on them. And I don't want to say I'll get this many done, because some jobs take longer than others. So, its sort of a chaos, touchy-feel goal. If I feel like I worked hard on it, I get an A,. I could do amount of time, but some weeks will be more some less, it just depends. So far, I am earning an A, since I made the list and did some steps.

WEEK 2

LEVELING ON UP

sliding plank 5/4/5

warm up

circuit 2 x: halo, prime pump,10 face the wall squats

Press: 15 lb Left 11 Right 9

box pistols (same for both left and right legs) 1-2-2-2

snatch 7 min 15 lb do 10reps rest 60 sec

Clean and press 20 lb (woot!) 1-2-3/1-2-3/1-2-3

pull (first regular, 2nd box 3rd neg) 1-2-3/1-2-3/1-2-3

I also did ladders on pushups. Did this during the challenge and liked it, so just kept it up. I would do 1 push up, then about an hour later 2, then later 3, then 4  did 2 sets of 1-2-3-4/1-2-3-4

Sounds like your first week went pretty well!!! I know how you feel about the whole home-improvement goal. I have a similar goal, and I'm grading myself based on a percentage of what I originally wanted to get done, with each item carrying equal weight to the others, for simplicity.

Woot, very nice you're moving on up! Those are very nice numbers, and don't sweat it- lot's of gals who walk into our gym can't press the 8kg 5 times on each side, so you're already rocking that!

note to anyone who may be frustrated  with how long it takes them to get to a new level or feel like they are just way behind where others are; The workout I am doing said women shoud start out with a 20 lb kettlebell, but that you should be able to press it at least 5 times. Well, I could barely do that with one side, and it wasn't happening with the other when I first started. I considered a few options: 1) Do it anyway with a 20lb kb, but I wasn't able to do the reps required so it was  sort of doing my own thing

2) Just give up, because I couldn't do it (briefly considered, but assassins don't just give up) 3) Do it with the 15lb whcih made me feel a bit like a wimp, but I figured I could go through it quickly. I decided to do the 15lb and I am glad I did. That way I was able to do it by the book, and I accomplished it in just over 6 weeks. And now I am ready to move up to 20lbs. Lesson learned, yes, I had to step back and do the 15 lb, but 6 weeks in the grand scheme of life isn't much.

Thanks for sharing that!  I frequently get discouraged with my inability to do things that I think I should be able to do or with the slowness of my progress.  It's nice to get reminders that as long as I'm working hard and seeing some progress or some improvement, I'll get there.  We all just need to be patient and persistent. 

That's all awesome new EG! You're doing so awesome :)

Thanks

Sounds like your first week went pretty well!!! I know how you feel about the whole home-improvement goal. I have a similar goal, and I'm grading myself based on a percentage of what I originally wanted to get done, with each item carrying equal weight to the others, for simplicity.

Thanks, my problem is that some stuff is going to take longer than others

Great job upping the poundage:)  

Awesome Elastigirl!! Well done!!!

Whooo hooo on the KB! Persistence is key. Personally I think 15 pounds alone is plenty beastly. Don't feel like a wimp! Moving up to the 20 pounds is just extra icing!

Congrats on the clean & press! Your workouts are doing great for ya

What a great week, and congrats on leveling up! Your incredible display of patience and diligence is very inspiring. :)

@ Croman, H.N.Chris, Rybo, and Lex.Thanks so much for your encouragement.It is so awesome to be part of this group that is so encouraging

Woot, very nice you're moving on up! Those are very nice numbers, and don't sweat it- lot's of gals who walk into our gym can't press the 8kg 5 times on each side, so you're already rocking that!

Thanks.That is good to hear. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I compare myself to others on the board and feel like a wimp. Nice to be remined that everyone starts somewhere

Congratulations on the level up!  A great way to finish out an awesome week!

Thanks

Thanks for sharing that!  I frequently get discouraged with my inability to do things that I think I should be able to do or with the slowness of my progress.  It's nice to get reminders that as long as I'm working hard and seeing some progress or some improvement, I'll get there.  We all just need to be patient and persistent. 

I'm glad it encouraged you. I know  I struggle with discouragement, and need to be reminded to be patient with myself.

DItto this - even this many challenges in, it's easy to look around and feel like I should be able to do more of the things I see other people doing. But if I just focus on my own progress, I'm getting better all the time. (My middle school teacher's voice in my head says "Eyes on your own paper!" and she's right - there's no point comparing to what anyone else is doing, what matters is me). Thanks for the reminder!

A friend once told me that he didn't bang his head against the wall in order to get through it, he did it because it resists...always wanted to have a band called Because It Resists after that. Come to think of it, a great name for a gym!

DItto this - even this many challenges in, it's easy to look around and feel like I should be able to do more of the things I see other people doing. But if I just focus on my own progress, I'm getting better all the time. (My middle school teacher's voice in my head says "Eyes on your own paper!" and she's right - there's no point comparing to what anyone else is doing, what matters is me). Thanks for the reminder!

Next time I'm tempted to compare myself to someone I'll keep in mind the wise words of your teacher. :sneakiness:

A friend once told me that he didn't bang his head against the wall in order to get through it, he did it because it resists...always wanted to have a band called Because It Resists after that. Come to think of it, a great name for a gym!

ha,ha. Interesting. That would be a good gym name, or a challenge title too :smug:

Ugh. Monday night woke up with a massive stuffed nose/ head. Tried to do some playing in with inverted leg raises, but being upside down was a no go. And rolling pistol squats, was way too much energy for me. Did do some work in the garden though. Still feeling crummy today, so I'm postponing my kettlebell workout until tomorrow. I will work on my life goal, which is choosing blinds for our living room. And get some reading done for my book club. And hopefully I will feel good enough to make a walk to the store (about 2 miles) which seems like a nice easy get moving without pushing my body too hard.

Ugh. Monday night woke up with a massive stuffed nose/ head. Tried to do some playing in with inverted leg raises, but being upside down was a no go. And rolling pistol squats, was way too much energy for me. Did do some work in the garden though. Still feeling crummy today, so I'm postponing my kettlebell workout until tomorrow. I will work on my life goal, which is choosing blinds for our living room. And get some reading done for my book club. And hopefully I will feel good enough to make a walk to the store (about 2 miles) which seems like a nice easy get moving without pushing my body too hard.

Hope you feel better soon Elastigirl :)