Short and Simple: Challenge Accepted

Aqweei

So with 3 weeks left of this challenge I plan on giving it my all barring major life events, i.e., getting a new job. I'm still looking for a more stable job but I am really hesitant to go for anything atm. I just don't want to get a job and work there for 6 months only to have the main company I want to work for come knocking. I simply can't pass up a $8-10 hourly pay increase and it would be unfair for me to work somewhere full time for only 6 months in my opinion. Maybe finding a small part time job would work but idk. Work has been slow lately because of the weather and I'm barely hanging on. Definitely in between a rock and a hard place atm. 

Full intentions are to put in early morning cardio work and afternoon lifting sessions of pure carnage and obliteration. Looking at possibly going for a couch to 5k type routine on the mornings I lift and doing low impact cardio on my rest days just to get some juices flowing around. Definitely feel like my goals for this challenge are fully attainable. Just gotta put in a good few weeks worth of work to produce the results I want! 

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Today's work out= Done. I'm whipped. Bench is kicking my ass these days. After I finish my triceps and chest feel like its about to rip off my body and run a mile. Weirdest feeling in the world. 

Running (treadmill):
  • 0:20:00 || 1.5 mi (+87 pts)
  • Morning. 2 min running 1 min walking for 10 min then just walking afterward.

Barbell Squat:
  • 115 lb x 5 reps (+57 pts)
  • 205 lb x 5 reps (+105 pts)
  • 235 lb x 5 reps (+129 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:
  • 45 lb x 10 reps (+43 pts)
  • 135 lb x 5 reps (+67 pts)
  • 205 lb x 5 reps (+108 pts)
  • 235 lb x 5 reps (+132 pts)

Body Weight Inverted Row (Let Me Ups):
  • 9 reps (+14 pts)
  • 10 reps (+16 pts)
  • 10 reps (+16 pts)

Push-Up:
  • 11 reps (+16 pts)
  • 10 reps (+15 pts)
  • 10 reps (+15 pts)

I think my mind is playing tricks on me as well. Bench used to be my mental block and I believe squats are. On my last set I was able to push it out of my mind for a little bit and completely rocked my last set of 5. So weird how much our minds can hold us back. 

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Today's work out:

Elliptical Trainer:
  • 0:10:00 || Intense! (+100 pts)

Cycling (stationary):
  • 0:11:00 || 3 mi (+78 pts)

Walking (treadmill):
  • 0:10:00 || 0.5 mi (+11 pts)

Hanging Knee Raise:
  • 10 reps (+5 pts)
  • 10 reps (+5 pts)
  • 10 reps (+5 pts)

Reverse Crunch:
  • 10 reps (+13 pts)
  • 10 reps (+13 pts)
  • 10 reps (+13 pts)

Still no word on whether or not the employer is going to extend a job offer. I've been all over the place trying to decide what I'd like to do if they were to extend one. ON one hand I'm afraid to take it and on the other hand I feel like I probably should. 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

I think my mind is playing tricks on me as well. Bench used to be my mental block and I believe squats are. On my last set I was able to push it out of my mind for a little bit and completely rocked my last set of 5. So weird how much our minds can hold us back. 

This is very true and super annoying. I'm glad you pushed through it and went into beast mode!

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Thanks Jonesy! I need to learn to do it more often. Well looks like I don't have to worry about any job decisions. Seems like I wasn't chosen and although I know it's gonna be a struggle hopefully I'll luck up with something bigger and better down the road. :D

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Finally decided on how I'm gonna do my lifts for the SSS. Here they are.

1st Attempt/ 2nd Attempt/ 3rd Attempt

Squats:  245/ 275/ 290

Bench: 245/ 275 / 290

Deadlift: 345/ 375/ 390

All attempts will be recorded and uploaded to the site. Going balls to the wall on my last attempts. 

If I hit all my 2nd attempts that would be a 60lb increase over all of my maxes.  My goal for this challenge was a 75lb increase. I think I can definitely get it. I just think the timing for the SSS was off. Think it would have been better to have it at the end of this 6 weeks challenge but whatever. My plan of attack is to finish lifting very heavy this week. Have an easy day on Monday, a very light walk through on Wednesday, and crush it Friday afternoon. 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Sorry to hear about the job.... but you've got that interview experience under your belt, and it sounds as if not being offered it keeps things simpler for now.....

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Thanks Rostov. I really felt like they wasted my time. They said they'd look at entry level people to work for them but now I'm seeing that their still looking for people and they've said the minimum experience they will take is .5 years. Which is just ridiculous. Apparently since I was lacking in a few areas they decided it wasn't worth the time to teach me. I'm glad I'm not working for a company like that because most places realize that you can't learn everything in school. Especially in my field. I'm going to be sending my resume out tomorrow to a few places and seeing if I can get some leads on some jobs for when I am closer to being fully completed with school. 

Anyhow, on to better things, here is my work out from today. 

Barbell Squat:
  • 135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)
  • 245 lb x 3 reps (+111 pts)

Barbell Deadlift:
  • 155 lb x 5 reps (+75 pts)
  • 225 lb x 5 reps (+121 pts)
  • 315 lb x 5 reps (+222 pts)
  • 340 lb x 3 reps (+210 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):
  • 45 lb x 10 reps (+58 pts)
  • 155 lb x 5 reps (+104 pts)
  • 155 lb x 4 reps (+95 pts)

Pull-Up:
  • 6 reps || assisted || 85 lb (+28 pts)
  • 5 reps || assisted || 85 lb (+25 pts)
  • 5 reps || assisted || 85 lb (+25 pts)

felt pretty good all in all. My legs were super tight from Monday and Tuesday. I could feel that in all my lifts today. Definitely have to incorporate some grip training from now on. 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Thanks Rostov. I really felt like they wasted my time. They said they'd look at entry level people to work for them but now I'm seeing that their still looking for people and they've said the minimum experience they will take is .5 years. Which is just ridiculous. Apparently since I was lacking in a few areas they decided it wasn't worth the time to teach me. I'm glad I'm not working for a company like that because most places realize that you can't learn everything in school. Especially in my field. I'm going to be sending my resume out tomorrow to a few places and seeing if I can get some leads on some jobs for when I am closer to being fully completed with school. 

Welcome to the working world.  Everyone wants somebody with experience, but how can you get experience with no job?  It's one of those mysteries of life.  I went to a student Expo geared specifically towards the oil industry for two years in a row.  The first year everyone said "All we care about is that you have a masters degree, that shows us you know how to do this level of work"  the next year "Oh we only hire people with experience, you should have looked into our intern positions in the last couple of years"  

8023902221_fbf73545c7.jpg

Just keep sending out resumes and get ready to be frustrated by it all, but you'll come out with a good job in the end, even if you've got to take a crappy job or two before then.  

And that looked like a solid workout man, good job!  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Unfortunately there's a lot of incompetence and disorganisation in recruitment.  Sometimes companies don't know what they want, and often there are internal tensions and politics going on - the finance people want to take on (cheaper) entry level staff, some of the technical people want experience so they don't have to train them, others want a mixture because they don't trust people trained elsewhere, others don't trust their colleagues to train anyone from scratch etc and so on.  There's a lot of arrogance in some organisations who think they're held in such high esteem that they can just cherry pick the finished article from their rivals.  I think the thing to take from it is the experience of being interviewed for this kind of job, and dealing with the associated nerves/stress.  It'll put you at an advantage next time compared to a classmate who's never had that experience.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Rostov do you write all these different articles on interviews I read?! Haha but seriously all of you advice is spot on and I thank you for it. It's greatly appreciated. 

Since I know I for sure have atleast one interview coming up with the Southern Company I want to be as prepared for it as I possibly can be. I know I've already passed all of the tests with them, I know they are willing to accept me as entry level because they are sponsoring the program, and I know that is going to be my best chance of getting anything right off the bat without alot of extra work (in the form of contacting HR's, setting up interviews, giving them my graduation dates, etc). I'm going to cover my behavioral interview questions, make sure I do a good bit of research, develop some really good questions, and just generally try to ace it as well as I can. 

Looking back at my last interview I really don't think the problem was me. Yes, I was nervous and yes, I did fumble over a word or two but I was fairly well prepared. I really think the only thing I need to do is rehearse before I have my next interview and also hope that the interviewing panel doesn't try to rush me through like the last ones did. 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Today's workout was killer! Not listed is some leg work I did this morning that involved leg curls, extensions, lunges, step ups, and calf raises. Trying to strengthen all aspects of my leg in hopes of helping to cure this Patellar Tendinitis. 

Barbell Squat: (No biggie, just repping my previous max :P )
  • 135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)
  • 245 lb x 5 reps (+138 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:
  • 45 lb x 10 reps (+43 pts)
  • 135 lb x 5 reps (+67 pts)
  • 205 lb x 5 reps (+108 pts)
  • 245 lb x 3 reps (+114 pts)
  • 245 lb x 4 reps (+129 pts)

Body Weight Inverted Row (Let Me Ups):
  • 10 reps (+16 pts)
  • 10 reps (+16 pts)
  • 10 reps (+16 pts)

Push-Up:
  • 15 reps (+22 pts)
  • 15 reps (+22 pts)
  • 15 reps (+22 pts)

Alternate Hammer Dumbbell Curl:
  • 30 lb x 10 reps (+19 pts)

No weight loss again this week but I'm gonna get on the ball with that. Definitely have a game plan in mind and I'm finally going after it. Will be giving my tendinitis alot of love and attention now. More stretching, icing, and bought a small strap to hopefully help out some. 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Those of you who have been following know that one of my goals is to Graduate with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Just got my grades in from this past semester and I made 5 A's and 1 B (Curse you physics). Which brings my GPA up from a 3.08 to a 3.4! I've got 3 more classes to go but I'm sure I'll make A's in them and will be graduating with a 3.5+ GPA :D

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Unfortunately there's a lot of incompetence and disorganisation in recruitment. Sometimes companies don't know what they want, and often there are internal tensions and politics going on - the finance people want to take on (cheaper) entry level staff, some of the technical people want experience so they don't have to train them, others want a mixture because they don't trust people trained elsewhere, others don't trust their colleagues to train anyone from scratch etc and so on. There's a lot of arrogance in some organisations who think they're held in such high esteem that they can just cherry pick the finished article from their rivals. I think the thing to take from it is the experience of being interviewed for this kind of job, and dealing with the associated nerves/stress. It'll put you at an advantage next time compared to a classmate who's never had that experience.

Rostov...thanks for this! I second Aqweei, you're advice is spot on, and I'm not even the direct recipient of it!

Those of you who have been following know that one of my goals is to Graduate with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Just got my grades in from this past semester and I made 5 A's and 1 B (Curse you physics). Which brings my GPA up from a 3.08 to a 3.4! I've got 3 more classes to go but I'm sure I'll make A's in them and will be graduating with a 3.5+ GPA :D

Ha! Physics is hard, but damn man, you took 6 classes! Woah! And you got 5 A's?! Congratz man!

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

Thanks Magi! I'm super happy about it. The rest of this year is going to be a breeze. I have 2 classes this summer that last 3 weeks a piece from 8am-4pm. So thats going to be simple as hell. Then during the fall I only have 1 class all semester and its from 8am-12 pm twice a week. I feel like they should probably just give me my degree already. lol.

Gonna be lacking for fitness updates this week. I'm still going to the gym just not really doing much because I am maxing out on Friday for the SSS. Yesterday I did some exercises at about 50-70% weight depending on the movement and I did some grip work with 405 on the bar. Also did a little Jiu Jitsu afterwards along with some stretching. Tomorrow is going to be all body weight exercises just so I can keep the juices flowing for Friday. 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Well, didnt do as well as I wanted to in the SSS. 

My lifts were as follows. 

Squat- 300lbs

Bench- 275lbs

Deadlift- 355lbs

looks like Im right at my goal of adding 75lbs to all my lifts in this 6 weeks challenge. 55lbs on Squat and 10-20lbs on Bench. No increase in Deadlift. 

Here is my video if anyone is interested. 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Gotta keep your butt on the bench during BP or the judges won't count it.  And your DL lockout looked iffy.  I in no way consider myself an expert though, seek advice from the elders of the internet.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Gotta keep your butt on the bench during BP or the judges won't count it.  And your DL lockout looked iffy.  I in no way consider myself an expert though, seek advice from the elders of the internet.  

Definitely noted. I'm gonna completely rework my DL. When I worked out this morning I made sure my ass never left the bench ;)

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Well for the end of the challenge I'm giving myself an A on my strength goals and an F on my weightloss. I've lost some weight but it fluctuates so meh. Not too impressed with it. Gonne be going on a leave of absence from NerdFitness for a while. Just wanna see how well I can hold up without giving myself a challenge on the forums. I think I can do it fairly well because I like working towards 6 week goals. So I guess I'll be doing a challenge just not in the traditional sense. I'll stick check out the forums but I wont be quite as active. Good luck to anyone who checks in here. :D

I might come back bigger and badder so watch out :P 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Congrats on the strength gains, and best of luck with your continued progress without the challenge framework.  Don't be a complete stranger!

Spoiler

I'll definitely pop in form time to time. Don't worry :D Just not gonna be doing a challenge this next 6 weeks. 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Congrats Aqweei and good luck during the break! Hope to see you around! =)

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

Congrats on the last challenge. I hope this challenge away from the forums works for you! Good Luck :)

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines