[jofalltrades] Challenge #3 - New Habits

Week 2 Check-In

Goal 1: Cleaner Eating
1) Limit sugar to 31 grams a day (which is the amount calculated on MyFitnessPal. I originally thought that was high, but over the past week of food tracking I have yet to hit below that! ... I have an addiction.)
2) 3 Alcoholic Drinks for the week (ideally on the weekend or when the boy and are I both home to share some wine with dinner). I'm not giving up booze completely, but definitely feel there needs to be a cut back. Besides, the food tracking has made me realize how much booze so does not help!

Results:
Sugar Intake (Average) : 29.3 grams
Alcohol Intake: 4 Drinks

Grades:
A - 31 and below grams of sugar | 3 or less alcoholic drinks
B - 31 to 36 grams of sugar | 4 alcoholic drinks

Once again I managed to slip up on the alcohol limited but managed my sugar. Got close to messing up with sugar too due to a weekend of stressed out decisions. Still, glad I held on to a B+, but Week 3 has not been kind. That's okay though, Week 4 I'll be back on track.

Goal 2: Back to Primal, 100%

Results: 82.32% was Primal

Grades:
B - 89% to 80% Primal

Going strong with a B. Again, made a few questionable decisions over the weekend. 

Goal 3: Develop Exercise Habits That Work

Started
Completed

- Finish couch25k (On Day 1 of Week 8)
- Get my bike to the repair shop

- Run 50 Miles (Up to 8.05 miles)
- Set up a weekly workout plan including cardio and strength-building (one to start with that will hopefully be improved as I use it)
- Get myself to the gym/exercise during week 1 - Did this yesterday when I got up. Ran for 25 minutes!
- Get myself to the gym/exercise twice during week 2 - Got two runs in!
- Get myself to the gym/exercise twice during week 3
- Get myself to the gym/exercise three times during week 4
- Get myself to the gym/exercise three times during week 5
- Get myself to the gym/exercise three times during week 6
- Run a full practice 5k
- Go to a Sunday workout meetup with the DC Rebels
- Hike at least one of the trails in the NOVA area
- Put in at least 5 morning workouts this challenge
- Walk across campus from the parking lot to work at least 25 times this challenge (Up to 10, technically. I forgot one of the walks from earlier in the week)
- Stretch after at least 14 exercises this challenge (Stretched after all my runs so far, so up to 5)
- Bike to campus once
- Lift at least 300 lbs (adding any weight from workout altogether, not at the same time)
- Try an exercise class at the campus gym

Grades: N/A till end of challenge

Goal 4: Life Goal - Greeting the Day

Grade: B - Hit Snooze once

It was totally an accident, but oh well. So much like my other challenges, as things start to get a bit more crazy, my motivation and willpower begin to wavier. Thankfully I held on for most of week 2. Week 3 is a different case entirely, and mostly for the sake of my sanity I let most of my goals go to the wayside. Week 4 is going to be a comeback with vengeance!

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Week 3 Check-In
Also known as "Crazy-End-Of-Semester-Week-From-Hell"

1) Limit sugar to 31 grams a day (which is the amount calculated on MyFitnessPal. I originally thought that was high, but over the past week of food tracking I have yet to hit below that! ... I have an addiction.)
2) 3 Alcoholic Drinks for the week (ideally on the weekend or when the boy and are I both home to share some wine with dinner). I'm not giving up booze completely, but definitely feel there needs to be a cut back. Besides, the food tracking has made me realize how much booze so does not help!

Results:
Sugar Intake (Average) : --
Alcohol Intake: 7+ Drinks

Grades:
F - 45+ grams of sugar | 7+ alcoholic drinks

So tracking kind of fell to the wayside during this week. I'm not actually sure what my sugar intake happened to be. It may not actually be over 45, but since I dropped the ball on tracking I'm going to go ahead and take an automatic fail this week. I'm pretty sure my booze intake was over 7, so either way I'm getting a low grade. Bummed, but also knew I was pushing good habits to the wayside for the sake of my sanity. I had way too much to do this week, got very little sleep, and pretty sure I need a coffee detox stat. The good news is that I'm getting back on track today, even if I still have a few papers left and a final next week. Things are much more spaced out this time around.

Results: Below 50% was Primal

Grades:
F - 59% and below Primal

Actually tried to maintain this one a little bit. Could have been worse, but due to my grading system it still ended up as an F. Again, sanity and school work came first this week. One of these days I'll get better at integration of life and new habits, but for now.. I have room to grow.

Started
Completed

- Set up a weekly workout plan including cardio and strength-building (one to start with that will hopefully be improved as I use it)
- Get myself to the gym/exercise during week 1 - Did this yesterday when I got up. Ran for 25 minutes!
- Get myself to the gym/exercise twice during week 3 (Started, only completed one run. So I'm one behind for this week)
- Get myself to the gym/exercise three times during week 4
- Run a full practice 5k
- Go to a Sunday workout meetup with the DC Rebels
- Walk across campus from the parking lot to work at least 25 times this challenge (Up to 14)
- Stretch after at least 14 exercises this challenge (Stretched after all my runs so far, so up to 6)
- Bike to campus once
- Lift at least 300 lbs (adding any weight from workout altogether, not at the same time)

Grade: B - Hit Snooze once

Wednesday was a hot mess. I was up most of the night, took a short nap, kept working, went back to sleep after talking to my office, and got up again kind of late... So yeah, I'm sure I hit snooze at least once. Either way it wasn't good wake up habit practice.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

I hate it when a silly little thing like sanity gets in the way. Looks like you're doing great with exercise and snoozing. I'm sure you'll get right back in there with the sugar and alcohol.

Seriously. And thanks, that's the plan for week 4. I think next challenge I'll focus on integrating my healthy habits with the rest of my life. :)

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Hey! Haven't been able to check in lately but it definitely looks like you're doing a great job! Very proud to see how you've grown over the course of these challenges. Continue to grow and dominate! 

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Week 4 Check-In
Also known as "How the hell did we already get to week 4?!"

Results:
Sugar Intake (Average) : --
Alcohol Intake: 7+ Drinks

Grades:
F - 45+ grams of sugar | 7+ alcoholic drinks

So last week was crazy. This week had some bleed over effect going on, because I could not get myself back into the good habits. Tracking totally fell to the wayside again, and I know alcohol was a bit higher (I blame SSS for that! ;) ). While I'm bummed, I'm not letting it get me upset or anything and certainly not giving up, so that's good, right? Starting off the week right today back to primal/watching sugar. Need to make sure I get back to tracking as well.

Results: Below 50% was Primal

Grades:
F - 59% and below Primal

Ended up being about half and half again, which while not bad, is not what I wanted to accomplish this challenge. Had a long talk with the boy about how great it felt when we were on track, and we're brainstorming. Unfortunately my end of the semester stress coincided with some craziness at work for him. We started some meal planning and chatted about strategies that should work for us once I move from a class schedule to working full-tume at my GA. Unfortunately we're getting a delay to it this week, but still determined.

Started
Completed

- Get myself to the gym/exercise twice during week 3 (Started, only completed one run. So I'm one behind for this week)
- Get myself to the gym/exercise three times during week 4 (Yeeeeeeah....)
- Run a full practice 5k
- Go to a Sunday workout meetup with the DC Rebels (I'm counting SSS.)
- Walk across campus from the parking lot to work at least 25 times this challenge (Up to 19)
- Stretch after at least 14 exercises this challenge (Stretched after all my runs so far, so up to 6)

Grade: A - No snooze!

So at least one goal was maintained. I appear to have some similar issues carrying over from the last challenge. At least SSS was inspiring! I have a much better idea of what I want to accomplish and what my next steps will include. And with no classes this week (just finals and projects. Heh), I will have a lot more time to devote to running and beginning some weight workouts. :D

Also, I'm not ready yet, but I might be moving away from the adventurers next challenge. We'll see how these last two weeks go. Might be venturing over to the Rangers. We shall see. I have a lot of basic, foundational work to do still.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

You've inspired me to try to follow the "no snooze" example.... or at least cutting down on snoozing and getting up earlier so as to go for a longer walk on the way to work.

Even if you're not aced last week, you're still here and still posting, and that's important.  What's the issue with tracking?  Is it remembering to do it, or the motivation to do it?

• Like 1

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

I (think I) saw you during the SSS livestream! The meetup looked like it was a ton of fun! I think you should't count the alcohol at SSS. Meetings with fellow rebels are the exception you know!

Either way, you're pretty darn awesome jofalltrades. You're still posting and keeping it up like Rostov says! I mean, you're getting A's on the no snooze goal during pre-finals week!!! I mean...you know...

its-ok-just-go-on-withou-me-cat-cats-kit

But, seriously, keep it up and I definitely think you got the discipline to be a ranger. You got it.

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

You've inspired me to try to follow the "no snooze" example.... or at least cutting down on snoozing and getting up earlier so as to go for a longer walk on the way to work.

Even if you're not aced last week, you're still here and still posting, and that's important.  What's the issue with tracking?  Is it remembering to do it, or the motivation to do it?

It started as remembering and has turned into a motivation issue. :/

I (think I) saw you during the SSS livestream! The meetup looked like it was a ton of fun! I think you should't count the alcohol at SSS. Meetings with fellow rebels are the exception you know!

Either way, you're pretty darn awesome jofalltrades. You're still posting and keeping it up like Rostov says! I mean, you're getting A's on the no snooze goal during pre-finals week!!! I mean...you know...

its-ok-just-go-on-withou-me-cat-cats-kit

But, seriously, keep it up and I definitely think you got the discipline to be a ranger. You got it.

XD I've missed the cat pictures from our last group. And hooboy, you saw me in the livesteam? Awkward. I was the nerd not lifting heavy stuff. 

I know I don't have to count it, but alas. I feel like if I'm going to be serious about it I might as well. I know there will always be exceptions, but when I'm given an inch I take a mile.

And yes. It's easy to not press snooze when you're not sleeping amiright? I kid, I am sleeping actually. The majority of my work for finals is already over. Joys of grad school. And I appreciate the compliment - I'm glad someone thinks I'm Ranger material. :)

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Update from Monday:

Sugar intake: 30 grams (yikes. Need to get this baby back down)

Alcohol: 1

I had a dear old friend from Germany who I met up with in DC, so we got a beer with dinner. Also kept it pretty darn primal until dinner too. Baby steps.

Also, after chatting with all the lovely, badass ladies at SSS, I'm debating buying the strength guide from NF. Curious to hear if anyone else has anything to say about it.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Was awesome meeting you this weekend. Looks like your challenge is going well. I'm loving your snooze goal - but I'm totally intimidated. I honestly don't think I could do it. I suck at mornings.

I don't have anything to say about the Strength Guide because I didn't buy it, but I'm sure it's awesome. You can also check out Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe) although some of that gets technical and if you're intimidated by barbell maybe the strength guide would be a better way to start?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I'd like to second the hhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy was awesome meeting you sentiment! 

LOL I'm glad I"m not the only one who didn't do well at the SSS- I had an ice cream sammich- and I know the hard cider had sugar in it too LOL.  It was either sammich or another beer and since I was driving- guess what I went for!!! LOL

I don't feel too bad- I did a butt load of burpees after I lifted- I feel justified LMAO :)  my snooze button challenge isn't going to well- mostly because I don't hit snooze- I just fucking turn the damn thing off!

Come to the ranger side!!!! we are so fun there!!!  come on over come on over baby... I'm sad we didnt' get a picture of your shirt and our underwear- that was a mistake bummer- better luck next time.

Are you south of us or what? I just remember it was about an hour and change- that's about what it took me to get home too- so I feel your pain.  

OMG right? I was trying to figure out how much I ate vs how much I drank on Saturday..and really...I def did not eat very much.

I also have a goal of limiting alcohol during this challenge and it's mostly been going well - so I don't feel guilty about the indulgence on Sat. It was a once-in-a-lifetime (well I hope not, but you know...) experience and I was all about living it up!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Yeah alcohol for me is on a pretty standard "set" at this point- I'm not challenge limiting- I just don't drink that much- and I only allow Friday/Sat drinking- I did make an exception for Sunday considering how fucking badly I beat myself up- my bigger concern was my sugar intake- since that IS part of my challenge.  LOL

meh- beer makes the world go round.

I thought of you sunday- almost bought a case of angry orchard.  looked tasty but didn't want to pay potentially 20$ for it- will make the roommie buy me some later ;)

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Was awesome meeting you this weekend. Looks like your challenge is going well. I'm loving your snooze goal - but I'm totally intimidated. I honestly don't think I could do it. I suck at mornings.

I don't have anything to say about the Strength Guide because I didn't buy it, but I'm sure it's awesome. You can also check out Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe) although some of that gets technical and if you're intimidated by barbell maybe the strength guide would be a better way to start?

It was awesome meeting you as well! And was Starting Strength what you and Mama T recommended? (Oops, drinking) I'll take a look at it and see.

I'd like to second the hhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy was awesome meeting you sentiment! 

LOL I'm glad I"m not the only one who didn't do well at the SSS- I had an ice cream sammich- and I know the hard cider had sugar in it too LOL.  It was either sammich or another beer and since I was driving- guess what I went for!!! LOL

I don't feel too bad- I did a butt load of burpees after I lifted- I feel justified LMAO :)  my snooze button challenge isn't going to well- mostly because I don't hit snooze- I just fucking turn the damn thing off!

Come to the ranger side!!!! we are so fun there!!!  come on over come on over baby... I'm sad we didnt' get a picture of your shirt and our underwear- that was a mistake bummer- better luck next time.

Are you south of us or what? I just remember it was about an hour and change- that's about what it took me to get home too- so I feel your pain.  

It was awesome meeting you as well! And I'm sorry we didn't get the picture too - next time? And yeah, I'm outside of DC.

OMG right? I was trying to figure out how much I ate vs how much I drank on Saturday..and really...I def did not eat very much.

I also have a goal of limiting alcohol during this challenge and it's mostly been going well - so I don't feel guilty about the indulgence on Sat. It was a once-in-a-lifetime (well I hope not, but you know...) experience and I was all about living it up!

Agreed. I certainly do not feel guilty having a few on Saturday. Still, I've been having some good weeks and some meh weeks with the limit.

Yeah alcohol for me is on a pretty standard "set" at this point- I'm not challenge limiting- I just don't drink that much- and I only allow Friday/Sat drinking- I did make an exception for Sunday considering how fucking badly I beat myself up- my bigger concern was my sugar intake- since that IS part of my challenge.  LOL

meh- beer makes the world go round.

I thought of you sunday- almost bought a case of angry orchard.  looked tasty but didn't want to pay potentially 20$ for it- will make the roommie buy me some later ;)

Yeeeeeah, giving up my beer is not happening. I like having a set time to drink - That might be a better way to frame it in the future.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Yeeeeeah, giving up my beer is not happening. I like having a set time to drink - That might be a better way to frame it in the future.

yup- people think you have to give up something to make changes- and I"m like- no you can just you know- limit it- to a day- or the weekend or whatever LOL- so yeah- Fri/Sat are my drink days- I orignially set no limitations (still technically don't have them) but I'm such a light weight now it's usually like 2 on one day.  it's an easy adaptation and a good "diet changes" jumping point.  I live with an alcoholic former sailor... and me-likey-the-beeersies... so yeah- I was not giving up my beer either.  The lower I get in BF- the more fussy I get about it- but that's still on the fence about how much I want to push this issue of BF/cutting etc.

starting strength is probably good.

youtube can be a huge help-but take with a grain of salt LOL- there is a lot of good stuff- but equal if not greater amounts of rubbish!  

bah- DC is dan hour in the wrong direction!!! god deeerrmit!

Okay, so getting back into tracking as been good for me, because I'm wincing at my current daily totals. Yesterday was poorly planned, so I ended up going well over calories, sugar intake, and had a beer. At least the main cause was due to an awesome quiche for dinner? So yeah, sugar intake was around 44 grams, added one to my booze count, and kept lunch primal but broke the rules otherwise...

The good news is I'm done with finals after today. That means I can get serious about cooking and meal planning starting tomorrow and that is the goal. Also, hitting up the gym like nobody's business after work tomorrow, since I get out at 12.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

The good news is I'm done with finals after today. That means I can get serious about cooking and meal planning starting tomorrow and that is the goal. Also, hitting up the gym like nobody's business after work tomorrow, since I get out at 12.

The good news is I'm done with finals after today. 

I'm done with finals after today.

Done.

tumblr_lwcra8w5QO1qdjt3i.gif

I apologize for the spam.

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

Ohhh lord J is gonna start strength training?! WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!  btw I'm pretty jealous of all you people getting to meet up. Move to Georgia dammit :( lol

Congrats on tracking. That is a habit that I cannot get into no matter how hard I try unfortunately. 

Hope you did well on all your Finals! 

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines