There and Back Again - A Half-Elf's Tale by Sammiejune29

That's a long bike ride!

Your workouts are going great. I do jumping lunges fairly regularly. I like to mix in those, jump squats & box jumps into my leg work for explosive power work.

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

For assisted chin-ups you could use a scale.  Not sure how you'd SEE the scale while doing chin-ups, but less weight = less assistance.

I could never do the self-assisted movements and had much better luck with bands.  I lack mental fortitude and "cheat" subconsciously. ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

First off a pic of Daniel and I at the lunch stop during the 40 mile bike ride. :D

Halfway point of 40 mile Bike Ride

First of, I hope you're feeling better. It sucks to feel weak, it sucks to feel like things aren't going forward but trust me, they are. You are doing amazingly well. You are consistent in your effort and you don't give up. You're at it pretty much every day and progress may be slow, but it is there and all your hard work will pay off. It actually is already, I mean come on, you are taking part in a crazy long ride today!

I'm so happy with all the progress I've made :D We all have those moments of self-doubt every now and then. I'm just happy that I was working out for 3 months straight without a big moment of doubt. Lol. I'm just glad to be diving back into it again  :tickled_pink: 

Did you get a chance to see Star Trek? How was it?

Yep :D It was really really enjoyable! I will probably go and see it again with Daniel since he didn't come with us that night. I'm excited to go home and discuss it with my mom cause she and I both love Star Trek :D

Sorry to hear about you having to take care of the dishes, maybe you should ask Daniel if he could step up when you're not home? You guys are close enough for you to be honest and say what you think
But well done on the freelance and your own work! That's great! Are you getting a hang of it?

I can ask him all I want and he will say he will do it and then it doesn't get done. Lol. Its not that he doesn't care, he just gets wrapped up in other things.

And I'm starting to get the hang of the whole freelance thing :D

Haha! It's sweet she wants to spend all of her free time with you, it goes to show just how much she misses and loves you I'm sure it can be frustrating but trust me, the other way around isn't fun the least bit (I've been there).

I definitely agree that the other way around isn't fun at all *hugs*

Seriously?! That's wonderful!!! Did you have any symptoms before your 2nd treatment?

I was still having symptoms because only half of it was treated. Unless you are performing the specific test, its hard to tell which ear is affecting your balance. But I'm hopeful that this treatment worked too :D

What an amazing achievement!! SO unbelievable proud of you for completing the whole thing Sam! You totally rock!!!
Biggest high fives and hugs in the world

Thanks!! It was so much fun :D I can't wait to go on another long ride. Daniel and I are looking into joining a cycling club closer to where we live!

Hey gurile!! *HUGS* Glad to be able to finally catch up on your thread a little bit, and I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner to help you through the disgruntled time you've had!

Everyone has terrific advice for the grip strength, and farmer walks are awesome. Plain and simple. I love farmer walks with my KB's or any other heavy weight at that. You could simply add those in towards the end of your workout and do like 3 sets of 1min carries? Just a suggestion

I'm hoping and praying you get to cancel that appt, that would be wonderful!! And it shows how mentally tough you are cuz you're not gonna let your dizziness determine your overall outcome! You go, Sam!!!

How was your weekend?? Did you get to bike ride in some lovely, sunny weather???

WOLF

Its all good *hugs* Your life has been more than a little crazy as of late.  :love_heart:

Weekend was great :D I don't know about lovely and sunny but overcast and not raining is actually better for long bike rides. The sun came out towards the end and it just started sapping my energy. Lol

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

I totally feel ya on the lack of upper body strength, this has plagued me all my life too (I have self-described wimpy-girly arms, demonstrated by holding my arms up and wobbling them around like wet noodles). Progress is slow but it will come. There was a time when I would have laughed in the face of anyone suggesting I might do a pushup off of a coffee table, and now I can do 3 sets of 6. Same thing for a pull-up negative, the first time I tried it on a whim at the gym I fell right off the bar and on to my arse, much to the amusement of my sister (she's very helpful that way, whenever my ego need deflating she'll gladly oblige).

Some advice I heard once from a woman who has achieved great things: Stay strong. Stay positive. Be persistent. Not easy, believe me I know, but those three things will take you to all the great places you want to go. You CAN do it.

My roommate does the same thing as your sister. Lol. Though he has been helping me with form and such.

Thanks so much for all the great advice and kind words :D I will get there eventually. It just may take a while. Lol. Which I'm okay with cause I know I will always be making some kind of progress.

Also, at the risk of overwhelming you, here's a suggestion for what to do next on the plank front: Plank Toe Pull, or as I like to call them, sliding plank thingys (scroll down a bit for the video, but the article is worth a read too). You could also do planks with one foot off the ground, or one arm (or one foot AND one arm if you're feeling really ambitious), as both add instability, which, as Wolverine said for the pushups, adds difficulty.

I've seen these and I will eventually get around to trying them. One of my goals next challenge may revolve around trying new exercises that I keep procrastinating on trying. Lol

If climbing is something that interests you, just go for it (once the balance issues are sorted), it's an absolute blast. Your hands may feel like weird claws at first, but the progress will be rocket-like. And there will be ropes (and crash pads if you're indoors), so you don't have to worry about your grip giving out part way up the wall, you can just sit back in your harness and shake it out, then conquer the other half of the route once you can move your fingers again.

The other thing I noticed rocket-like improvement on with climbing is core strength. It doesn't feel like you're using it, but you are.

I can't wait to have weird claws ;) Lol. 

That's a long bike ride!

Your workouts are going great. I do jumping lunges fairly regularly. I like to mix in those, jump squats & box jumps into my leg work for explosive power work.

Thank Rybo!! I'm excited to try out the jumping lunges on a day when I have some explosive energy to spare :D

For assisted chin-ups you could use a scale.  Not sure how you'd SEE the scale while doing chin-ups, but less weight = less assistance.

I could never do the self-assisted movements and had much better luck with bands.  I lack mental fortitude and "cheat" subconsciously. ;)

That's what roommates are for ;) Lol (though I'd have to get a scale, something which I have avoided so that I avoid becoming obsessed over my weight)

I figure if my arms are shaking from exertion I'm using them as much as I can. Lol.

Week 5 Update

While spending a relaxing few days with the elf-village a group of horse men rode up. I was definitely nervous when they arrived. Relations between elves and men are tenuous at best. However, this group recognized me as a half-elf and I was able to ease tensions. The leader of the horse men offered me an interesting proposal. He and his people wanted to trade with the elves but asked if I would stick around for a few days to mediate. In return they would lend us horses for the next part of our journey since we were headed the same direction.

The next few days were spent relaxing, eating and drinking. Each day led to fewer and fewer tensions between the elves and the men. We all had a bonfire and dance together one night. I danced so hard that I was dizzy by the end of it! It took me a couple days to recuperate. All to soon it was time to move on. We had already stayed longer than we had intended. After a tearful goodbye we got on our horses and rode away.

I don't think I have ever ridden that far on a horse in one day before. By the time we were done for the day I definitely wasn't sitting comfortably. But it was definitely worth it. I felt so free while riding :D We had a lovely dinner with the horse men before parting ways. Hopefully our travels will bring us together again soon. 

In other words...

Goal #1 - Bike 150 Miles

15.24 + 25.05 = 40.29 mi

40.29 + (92.79 from last week) = 133.08 mi total (88.72%)

- That 40 mile bike ride actually put me a bit ahead of schedule now

- Only 16.92 miles left!! (but I have to get these in before I leave for home on Friday)

Goal #2 - Workout 4 days per week (at least 2 BW, 1 cardio/interval)

Tues - BW Workout

Thurs - BW Workout

Sun - Bike Ride

- Week of a dizziness treatment, can make up extra day

Goal #3 - Track Calories on FitBit

- Enter in calories everyday before bed (6/7)

- At least 3,500 cal under for the week (4,176 deficit for the week)

- Didn't enter my cals after my friends birthday party cause I went to sleep super early (and it wasn't something that was easy to enter)

- Was a weird week with cals as you can see by the pic

- I'm doing better at not overeating when I'm places other than my apartment, but its harder

- Sunday I burnt an absurd number of calories on the bike ride and I ate till I felt full and still didn't get a lot

Week 5   Goal #3

Goal #4 - Clean 15 min/day (6.5/7)

- I think I cleaned everyday (but I'm docking myself .5 points for not keeping track)

Goal #5 - Find somewhere to rent for next year

- Finished paying the deposit!

Mini-challenge #5 - Pulling

- I only did the pulling exercises already in my circuit and didn't add anything extra (the dizziness treatment came at a lousy time cause I love pulling exercises)

Friday's Workout (May 24, 2013)

Bike Ride: 4.14 mi in 21m:17s

So I walked outside and it was FREEZING! Well not quite, it was 48 F. So I went back upstairs and got a jacket. It still wasn't very warm. I just rode enough miles to make my 150 mile goal.

It was also a very very long day. Lots of packing and cleaning before I left. Then Daniel and I both drove to Columbus and went shopping. Then I finally got home late. I was soooo tired. 3.5 hour drives really exhaust me. Lol

Saturday's Update

Today I was supposed to do a BW workout but my stomach had other ideas. When I was feeling a little better my mom and I went shopping for more clothes. I got a great deal on a bunch of professional looking skirts, shirts and a couple of jackets. Also two more dresses. I love dresses. Here's a couple of pics :D

IMG 0920

IMG 0907

Weeet wheeew! ;) pretty lady!! ( I have no idea how to type a whistling sound.. you'll just have to imagine it )

Nice work on that long bike ride!

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Congrats on all the biking. And cute clothes,love the skirt!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Nice pics!  You look beautiful!

I just bought shorts that are the color of your skirt.  I don't think I look that good, though. ;)

Aww thanks :D I spent so much money on clothes but now I have a nice adult professional wardrobe that is still me!

You are doing so incredibly amazing Sam! And you look so so so amazing in the skirts!!

How did the rest of your weekend go?

It was an awesome weekend :D Spent a lot of it shopping with my mom and getting great deals on great looking clothes! I might post some more pics cause I'm so excited about them. Its wonderful to go shopping now because I've lost enough weight that finding clothes that fit is not so much of a fight. (its still a fight, the curse of the large boobs, but much less of one) I was shocked at some of the sizes that I can wear now. I've been wearing size 14 dresses for a very long time now and two of the new dresses I bought are size 10!!

Now to find some new cute shoes... ;)

Weeet wheeew! ;) pretty lady!! ( I have no idea how to type a whistling sound.. you'll just have to imagine it )

Nice work on that long bike ride!

Totally sounds like a whistle ;) And thanks!! I can't wait to do another long bike ride later in the summer (I hope!)

Congrats on all the biking. And cute clothes,love the skirt!

Thanks!! Its such a great color. And now I have a jacket that matches it as well :D

Week 6 Update

We were a bit tired and sore after our day long horse ride. None of us were used to sitting on the back of a horse all day and we definitely needed a break. We found a lovely lake with a waterfall and decided to spend the day there swimming and fishing. It was the perfect day.

We set off on our journey again hiking through the forest. There was some exceptionally rough terrain. And it was a bit slow going. By the end of the day we were all exhausted and barely had the energy to eat and set up camp before passing out.

The next few days were cold and miserable. Progress was slow and we had to stop a couple times a day to start a fire and warm up. None of us thought to pack warm enough clothes in the middle of summer!!

Late in the week we crested a hill and finally saw our destination in the distance. The valley of the elf homeland stretched out before us. The oldest of the elves live here still. The buildings look effortless and are beautifully integrated into the land. From the top of the hill we can already hear music drifting up to us. 

We all just stood there taking in the sight with the sun on our faces. I look forward to my week here visiting with the ancient elves and learning all that I can from them before starting my journey home.

In Other Words...

Goal #1 - Bike 150 Miles

9.01 + 5.37 + 4.14 = 18.52 mi

18.52 + (133.08 from last week) = 151.6 mi total

- It was rough but I got it all in

- Last ride was freezing and unpleasant but I made sure I got enough miles :D

Goal #2 - Workout 4 days per week (at least 2 BW, 1 cardio/interval)

Tues - Bike Ride

Thurs - Bike Ride & BW Workout

Fri - Bike Ride

- Missed a couple days for various reasons (sore from bike ride, exhausted from Accelerator boot camp, Shark week, sad tummy and visiting with family) I can live with this

- Enter in calories everyday before bed (7/7)

- At least 3,500 cal under for the week (4,590 deficit for the week)

- Calories were all over the place this week but I was still under for the week. In the future I'd like to get back to being more consistent

Week 6   Goal #3

Goal #4 - Clean 15 min/day (5/7)

- Crazy busy week led to me not keeping up consistently with my cleaning

- Realized that 7 days a week is not sustainable in the long term but is also probably not necessary (5-6 days a week keeps my apartment fairly consistently clean)

Goal #5 - Find somewhere to rent for next year

- Working on getting one of the garden beds :D

Mini-challenge #6 - Hansel & Gretel

- Didn't happen (PMS week is not a good time to give up my chocolate almonds which are basically the only treat that I still eat very often)

- Meant to cook new recipes but that didn't happen either

Challenge #2 Summary

Overall Grade: A-

Notes about this challenge:

- Had two dizziness treatments, each with 3 days mandatory rest afterwards

- Finished a semester/term for the first time in a while (due to health issues) and did it with straight A's

- Made it through final projects week and final exams week without sacrificing working out

- Had two bouts of PMS and shark week this challenge

- Started 2 part time jobs

All things considered I'm damn proud of my progress :D I have made my health and exercising a priority, even in the face of a super busy crazy life. And its become a habit now!!

And progress pics!! These are the beginning of last challenge, the beginning of this challenge and the end of this challenge :D

NerdFitnessFrontMay24

NerdFitnessSideMay24

NerdFitnessBackMay24

Goal #1 - Bike 150 miles

Possible: 4 STA

Final Count: 151.6 miles

Grade: A

Points Awarded: 4 STA

Goal #2 - Workout 4 days per week (24 total) (at least 2 BW, 1 cardio)

Possible: 3 STR, 1 DEX

• Week 1: 5 days (3 cardio, 3 BW)
  • Week 2: 2 days (1 cardio, 1 BW)
  • Week 3: 6 days (6 cardio, 2 BW)
  • Week 4: 4 days (2 cardio, 3 BW)
  • Week 5: 3 days (1 cardio, 2 BW)
  • Week 6: 3 days (3 cardio, 1 BW)
Totals: 23/24 days - 16/6 cardio - 12/12 BW Workouts

I definitely wasn't perfect on this goal but there were many circumstances outside of my control and I'm so proud of how well I did despite all the restrictions and set backs (see above, lol)

Grade: A-

Points Awarded: 3 STR, 1 DEX

Possible: 3 CON, 1 CHA

• Enter in calories everyday before bed: 40/42 days
  • At least 3,500 cal under for the week: 6/6 weeks
Even though I missed entering stuff in before bed twice I still did really well with this goal.

Grade: A-

Points Awarded: 3 CON, 1 CHA

Goal #4 - Clean 15 min/day

Possible: 1 WIS

Total: 36/42 days (85%)

- I didn't make this goal as much of a priority and I'm okay with that

- My apartment is still more consistently clean and cleaning has become more of a habit

- I would love if I could keep up the habit of cleaning for 15 min a day 5-6 days a week

- 5-6 days a week is sustainable, 7 days is not due to life

Grade: B

Points Awarded: 0.75 WIS

Goal #5 - Sign a lease for next year

Possible: 2 WIS

Lease is signed and I LOVE my new place. I can't wait to move in two and a half weeks

Grade: A+

Points Awarded: 2 WIS

Mini-Challenges:

#1 - Three LIttle Pigs (1 STR)

- Did GTG push ups all week and saw great progress with my incline pushups

Points Awarded: 1 STR

#2 - Little Mermaid - Squat Badge

- Couldn't work on mobility all week because of doctor's orders

- But did the 10 min squat at the end of the week

#4 - Pinnochio (1 WIS)

- Killed this challenge by not procrastinating on my freelance work

- Set very attainable goals and rules as to how to do this

Points Awarded: 1 WIS

New Stats:

STR: 7 + 4 = 11 STR

DEX: 4.25 + 1 = 5.25 DEX

STA: 6.75 + 4 = 10.75 STA

CON: 2 + 3 = 5 CON

WIS: 5.5 + 3.75 = 9.25 WIS

CHA: 5.75 + 1 = 6.75 CHA

Level 3 Assassin!!

That's some amazing stuff right there. To keep up with all your challenges with such a busy schedule is awesome!

And the progress pics are great!

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

It was an awesome weekend :D Spent a lot of it shopping with my mom and getting great deals on great looking clothes! I might post some more pics cause I'm so excited about them. Its wonderful to go shopping now because I've lost enough weight that finding clothes that fit is not so much of a fight. (its still a fight, the curse of the large boobs, but much less of one) I was shocked at some of the sizes that I can wear now. I've been wearing size 14 dresses for a very long time now and two of the new dresses I bought are size 10!!

Now to find some new cute shoes...

So so glad you had so much fun with your mum and managed to find so much stuff that fit you! And WOW!! Well done for going so many sizes down, that's wonderful!! :D

And I totally trust you'll find cute shoes in a jiffy!! :P

Level 6 Amazon Assassin Ranger

challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

the rebuilding of the Amazon: #6

Awesome work Sammie! :) 

You rocked this challenge! big time!

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines