Psychic Lipstick taking the challenge

Hey, welcome! Your goals in the intro thread sound awesome, and here's an internet fistbump from another writer/urban fantasy and Doctor Who lover :)

It's less than a day to the start of challenge, so write down your goals and scoring system before you start! I'm looking forward to reading that.

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

STR:2 DEX:3 STA:1 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:2

Return of the Tabris: Chapter 3

Battle Logs

Have faith, you're not a moron. - John Brown

I made a post and then lost it! Ugh. Take 2.

Goals --

1) Work out five days a week, preferably at the gym.

2) Resist junk food and processed food.

3) Eat 3-4 balanced meals a day.

Level Up: Organize bedroom and office.

Progress so far:

1) Worked out every day so far. Not at the gym, but outside the house, which counts for me because it makes me less of a hermit.

2) I've avoided junk food and processed food, but I did have restaurant food one day and dessert one day; I didn't eliminate sugar, as a goal, but I'm trying to limit sugar intake. Hmm, maybe this will be a goal to think about.

3) Managing 3 meals a day. I have a little more energy (and better quality energy than just coffee gives), so far, but it's annoying to make time to sit down and prepare a meal and eat it. I think I'll get used to this.

L-Up: I unpacked two boxes and am working on sorting them.

I've made up a character and a scoring system and will update it tonight on this thread. :) I hope I'e done this correctly.

Attempting Challenge: November 26 to December 23.

Having a really rotten day and I'm tempted to eat my feelings with something bad. I'm imagining my character, though, and seeing how it would impact that character's goals, and it makes the impulse less tempting. :) I like this the idea of seeing the fitness quest as a game instead of as life; feels less like a punishment. :)

Preperation is key towards easy meal prep.

Take some time to batch cook some things like stew/chili/curry etc and freeze in individual portions, in the morning get out the freezer to defrost, and then your evening meal will be waiting for you to just add some fresh vegetable or a side. We regularly have home made curry and dahl, with some home made chappatti, which take minutes while the curry and dahl warm up. So easy.

Also provides a must-eat-this-no-cheats as the food is defrosted and cannot go to waste!

Khajiit Level 4 Adventurer

Strength: 10 Dexterity: 4.7 Stamina: 5.8

Constitution: 9.9 Wisdom: 18.4 Charisma: 8.9

June 3rd - July 14th -  4th 6 Week Challenge

Hey fellow newbie :) I like your goals - based on good groundwork (diet) rather than results (weightloss)!

As well as batch-cooking and freezing, if you can, I'd suggest having a BIIIIG glass of water when you are really tempted to eat your feelings.

No idea why they call it "comfort" eating as it's TOTALLY "DIScomfort" eating! But I do it, or rather, did it a lot. Now I try to have a pint of water and go do something else for 15 minutes, and, if after that I'm STILL craving the cookie/gummi bears then I will have some. But only after I've had my water and my distraction. More often than not that does the trick and I get out of that mindset.

Kinda helps to take a step back sometimes.

Good luck :)

Level 3 UK-based Siren Adventurer

STR- 5 | DEX-5 | STA-3.5 | CON-5 | WIS-7 | CHA-5.5

"what's done cannot be undone"

-----

#1 challenge "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."                                         

#2 challenge "though she be but little, she is fierce"

Preperation is key towards easy meal prep.

Take some time to batch cook some things like stew/chili/curry etc and freeze in individual portions, in the morning get out the freezer to defrost, and then your evening meal will be waiting for you to just add some fresh vegetable or a side. We regularly have home made curry and dahl, with some home made chappatti, which take minutes while the curry and dahl warm up. So easy.

Also provides a must-eat-this-no-cheats as the food is defrosted and cannot go to waste!

^^ This, so much this.  I really hate having to spend the time preparing food.  I guess I'm lazy to the core! :)

Living alone helps I guess, cos when I make something it's normally for 4 people.  I freeze 3 portions and then all I have to do is take it out the night before add a few vegetables and nuke for a few mins!

I currently have about 8 different frozen portions of something-or-other in the freezer that is homemade.  Means  I don't have to worry about properly cooking for another week - yay!  :)

Nicks x

Human – adventurer – level 2

STR:  2   DEX:  3   STA: 5

CON:  6         WIS:  8.5         CHA:  4.5

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

myfitnesspal

first challenge - smashed it!

second challenge - failed!

current challenge

It sounds like you're making progress. It takes a while to get into the groove of things, but good thing this time is that you have clear goals, a clear deadline (no nebulous "I'm going to have to endure this torture forever and ever and EVER" dread), and you have us to cheer you on :)

My suggestion for emotional eating is identify things that make you feel better that aren't food. A movie, or a book, or a bath, or calling a friend. Or gaming! And when you feel like eating your feelings then do the non-food happy-making stuff instead :)

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

STR:2 DEX:3 STA:1 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:2

Return of the Tabris: Chapter 3

Battle Logs

Have faith, you're not a moron. - John Brown

I just jumped on to your page to wish you well with your challenge. It is amazing how much being accountable on here can make you think twice about an unhealthy choice and sometimes it is all you need.

By the way I love your race in your signature, very creative,,

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

My progress isn't as great as I'd like it to be, but I still have time to make more of an effort. So, that's something.

5 x a week gym time wasn't a feasible goal. I am able to go twice a week and I am doing about two other exercise days a week, too, but they're more unconventional. Stuff I can do while taking care of kids, mainly. This involves a lot of very random workouts. Like, if I take the kids to the park for a half hour, I'll find a way to work out there. If I'm putting on music or TV for them, I will carry them and dance or do squats or push ups with them in my arms or on my back. It's all very chaotic and unmeasured and disorderly. But...I find myself feeling tired and sore in the muscles, so I guess it's doing some good. My success rate is more like 75% or so.

I'm having trouble eating more than twice a day. Tough to find time for it. And, I am finding it tough to resist snacking on junk food. My snacking tends to be late at night when I'm exhausted and watching videos or reading. I've been trying to get easy things like fruit and veggies and when I have them prepared, I grab those instead of chips or chocolate or bread & cheese. making time to prepare in advance seems to be really important, as you all have suggested. So, my success rate on these goals is only about 50-60%.

I'm halfway through the organizing, but also making headway on packing for my big move to a new place.

Anyway. I don't feel proud of my attempts so far, but, I haven't given up and I am making an effort every day to be aware and to try to meet my goals. That's good. Life has been really complicated and trying to negotiate time for myself among all the turbulence and obligation isn't easy. I can't even carve out time to post often enough here. I am trying to remedy that, though, and to remember that when things are tough, sometimes, not giving up is a good thing, too.

I've lost about 5 pounds, so far. I've gained an acute awareness of how much I dislike the shape I'm in and how much more work I've got ahead of me.

Making the effort to do something is a lot better than just giving in and doing nothing, so do keep that up, even if it isn't what your original goal was, its still a good effort and habit to get into.

I have calorie free ice pops to eat after dinner in the evenings, I try not to eat anything as its a time where its so easy to slide!

Khajiit Level 4 Adventurer

Strength: 10 Dexterity: 4.7 Stamina: 5.8

Constitution: 9.9 Wisdom: 18.4 Charisma: 8.9

June 3rd - July 14th -  4th 6 Week Challenge

I've lost about 8 pounds so far. I've been consistent in my efforts, if not able to perform excellently. I'd give must a B-, so far, if I was grading. Will think about the experience points and see how it works out.

The most valuable thing I've learned, so far, in this challenge, is that I have to make this enough of a priority to make time for workouts and meal prep even if it means upsetting the apple cart in my life. It won't always be a convenient fit and people will have expectations about how fitness efforts fit into other plans. I have to be less of a doormat and MAKE time for my workouts. I'm surprised to find that it seems like my lack of assertiveness is getting in my own way.

Well, I managed to lose 10 pounds. Unfortunately, I did not stay as active on the forum as I wanted to. And, I can't say that I did as well on my goals as I wanted to, either. There's a big difference between wanting to do something and actually being able to make the effort required to do it. When it comes to fitness, it is really tough for me to stay committed. I start out all excited, but don't pace myself properly. Or, I set goals that seem sensible but flake out if I get off-track. What I've learned is this: be more realistic, less ambitious, and have a better plan for actually achieving those goals!

I'm disappointed in what feels like a failure. At the same time, I did lose ten pounds and that's some kind of progress. I will join in the next challenge, too, and try to do better this time. Thanks to everyone that offered support on my thread. I hope to be a better Nerd Fitness Participant both on the forums and in my fitness efforts this time. So, a little shamefaced, but still determined, I'm going to join the next challenge thread.

Congratulations to everyone who did really awesomely!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines