• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lexxx

Lexxx attempts her first challenge!

So I've only just really discovered Nerd Fitness & I've decided to throw myself in head first with this challenge!

I'm still not 100% certain what attainable goals would be or of how to find my way through this site.  I tend to start reading an article and end up clicking all the links leaving me with a million tabs of things I HAVE to read but it's given me some great inspiration for levelling up my life!

My starting attributes:

• Strength (STR) - 2
  • Dexterity (DEX) - 1
  • Stamina (STA) - 2
  • Constitution (CON) - 4
  • Wisdom (WIS) - 3
  • Charisma (CHA) - 2

So for the next 6 weeks my goals are:

1 - Hit the gym 4 times a week.  I've had my gym membership for about a year now.  On a good week I get there two or three times.  The last few months I've been battling depression/paranoia/anxiety & the thought of exercising in public was terrifying meaning 2 months gym membership entirely wasted!  Of course, exercise is fantastic in helping recover from mental health issues so this was the most foolish choice really!  No more.  Time to get back in the gym & help my brain AND body! :)

Grading:

- 4 times a week for all 6 weeks!

- 4 times a week for at least 3 weeks; 3 times a week otherwise!

C - 3 times a week for all 6 weeks!

[The only way I'll exempt myself from this is if my dodgy knee comes back to haunt me which, if I'm being sensible & exercising properly, it shouldn't!]

Anything less = F.  I normally manage 2-3 visits a week so there wouldn't be any signs of improvement for less than this!

(STR +2, DEX +1, STA +2)

2 - If I have the time, walk!  All too often I convince myself I don't have the time to walk to the shop or to the bank or whatever so I hop on my motorbike for the 5 minute journey then come home & do sweet F.A. for the rest of the day.  Clearly I do have the time to walk & so I definitely should start walking!  Not only will it help me get back into shape but it'll save a few precious pennies in petrol!

Grading:

This one I'm a bit stuck on, not sure whether to edit my goal to make it more specific or whether to give in and invest in a pedometer!

(STA +4)

3 - Cut out Pizza Hut.  This ones easier said than done.  I work at the local Pizza Hut Delivery so if I justify my addiction to pizza/garlic bread/cookie dough using the reasoning "It's free/cheap".  While this is great, 5 pizzas a week plus 2 or 3 cookie doughs and god knows how many slices of garlic bread are really undermining the point of ANY exercise I do!

Grading:

- 6 weeks pizza free!

B - 3 or less meals at Pizza Hut!

C - 6 or less meals at Pizza Hut.

Any more than 6 meals at Pizza Hut is a fail!

(CON +3)

4 - Declutter. I moved house back in January and still haven't unpacked.  Time to get settled in and get rid of all the unwanted junk that I have lying around everywhere.  Try to organise my life a bit better.  Use my diary more - actually show up when I say I'll show up.  And try not the have the million tabs I mentioned early open all the time!

A - Be fully unpacked, everything put away in a logical place & have turned up [reasonably] on time to everything I have to attend for the next six weeks.

B - Be fully unpacked & mostly on time.

C - Be fully unpacked, not necessarily have everything put away, some organised mess allowed!  Only have missed one or two things!

If I'm still living out of crates & still rushing off to be half an hour late/just not bothering than that is definitely a fail!

(WIS +3)

I really have no excuse for failing at these goals.  I have the time, the opportunity, all I lack is the willpower.

My reward for passing these goals: I'm not sure as yet. I'm hoping that by completing this challenge I can renew my confidence in myself and start to work through the anxiety/paranoia that's been plaguing me & that'll be reward enough!  (If not, I'll probably just buy myself that ridiculously expensive but utterly stunning dress that I spotted last week.  And matching jewellery if I do really well!)

Simple and straight forward goals. Make them measurable - How long (time/distance) are you going to walk? Are you going to cut out pizza hut completely or do you have any allowances to go light on yourself. The "declutter" goal is good. Try to make it measurable somehow and define a clear end point. A set of statements that will decide whether you have successfully "decluttered".

Make sure you record whatever's happening in this thread. I failed last time only because I didn't come back to the thread regularly and record what I was doing. Good or bad, make sure you write something here everyday. It helps being on track.

I agree with Anarchist, it'll definitely help to make the goals more measurable. And a grading system with some wiggle room :) Fitness being its own reward is all well and good but really, buy that dress ;) You can make the dress the reward for going to the gym 4 times a week (because 4 times a week, eeep!), and you can make the jewelry a reward for other goals. And dare I say a pair of shoes for walking every day for the 6 weeks?

I'm getting creepily overenthusiastic, but rewards are my favorite parts of goals :D Good luck with the challenge, I'll be sticking around ;)

Thanks for the advice guys!  I'm still half asleep so may come back this afternoon to try and work on my goals a little and make them more measurable but it definitely makes the thought of completing them much easier! :)

Yesterday I managed to get to the gym in the morning with my friend and do a good hour weights workout which was great fun.  Definitely feeling it a little today which has meant that a new reward for myself - get my motorbike seat recovered!  Tried to get on this morning to take it to the mechanics & oh wow... yesterday's squats came back to haunt me!  Might have to sit on a cushion for the rest of the day!!!

The walking thing I kinda failed on a little bit, staying at my boyfriend's last night I realised about 5pm I didn't have my kindle with me, instead of making the 15 minutes walk home I decided to drive.  Epic show of laziness there!!!

There is nothing creepy about encouraging me to buy new shoes though, I definitely welcome that kinda encouragement!!!

Tomorrow's plan is gym visit number 2 followed by a 7 hour shift at work!  See if I can resist the temptation of the greasy, cheesey "goodness" pizza hut has to offer me!!! :)

So I realised that by saying "I'll do this later" I was actually just procrastinating AGAIN!  So I've sat down & made a start at it, they probably still need some tweaking [the walking one especially] but the basics are there!

I feel like I've been a little tough on myself with setting the grade boundaries but that's the point right?  To push myself.

I already go to the gym twice a week so why reward myself for carrying on as normal?!

I only work four days a week generally and given that by the end of most shifts I'm sick of the sight & smell of the food I only actually eat "because it's there" which is a terrible attitude.

I guess this in part is me justifying to myself why I'm making my life a little bit difficult.

But in the long run, at least I'll build up some great habits!!!

Day 3 is so far so good!

Managed to turn down an offer of a lift to pick up my motorbike & instead walked [the long way round too] to the mechanics!

Decided also to park without engine power as it's very loud & I quite like my neighbours which involved heaving it around on a hill!  Another good show of none laziness.

The real test comes this eve though with a 7 hour shift which means I will be offered free pizza.  Hopefully I'll be able to turn it down but just in case I'm going to WALK to the shops shortly and grab some fruit to make myself some snacks! :D

Unfortunately I've stubbed my toe this morning and can hardly put weight on my right foot so going to minor injuries this afternoon to get that checked out & strapped up, may have to take a rain check on gym visit 2.  Will go tomorrow for sure though!!!

Hi there! I've been trying to walk more as well. I don't have a car, and this month I chose not to buy a subway pass so that encourages me to walk more. I'm not sure what the weather is like where you are, but here spring is finally starting and so I really want to make sure I get out and enjoy it!

I live in Sheffield in the north of the UK so it's pretty horrible all year round here!

At the moment it's stupid windy and kinda rainy with some occasional snow.  Not great for walking but not great for the bike either so I'm trying to at least pick the healthier option!

It's also really hilly here though.  I live at the top of a crazy steep street with everything good ever at the bottom of it so there's some casual mountain climbing involved in getting home haha!

Good luck with your walking challenge too :)
How are you measuring yours?

Alright, I love the goal of cutting out the pizza hut.  I understand the appeal for sure.  Cheap & easy are big attractions.  However, I'm certain if you really wanted a pizza, you could make a healthier and better tasting one at home. I know I've done/do that.  The more things you can cook for yourself, the more leftovers you can have to take with you to work the next day.

Good luck on this challenge, I'll be following along and rooting for you.

Pizza challenge is so far so good.
Though unfortunately it's the start of a new menu and our boss always lets us try all the new stock so we can upsell it.
Saying no to the doughnuts was the hardest thing I've ever done!

Walking is becoming more & more interesting, I've managed to break my toe so it's more of a limp these days but probably covered about 6-7 miles on Thursday with a trip to the zoo!  Managed to also squeeze in another gym visit though had to stick to things like bench presses and the stationary bikes given that I can't put weight on my right foot :(

Off to the gym again shortly though!

And then home to tidy my room, goal number 4 in action there!

Imminn, rain on the bike doesn't bother me - I have a decent set of tyres and fantastic waterproof gear.  The wind on the other hand can get slightly terrifying!  It's very light & fully-faired so catches gusts like a sail!!!

Thanks for the support guys!  Trying to get into the habit of posting daily but I'm away from my laptop alot!

Thanks for the support guys!  Trying to get into the habit of posting daily but I'm away from my laptop alot!

If you have a smartphone, you can download an app called Tapatalk.  It allows you to access the forums from the phone.

Good job saying no to the donuts!

If you have a smartphone, you can download an app called Tapatalk.  It allows you to access the forums from the phone.

Good job saying no to the donuts!

Ahhh, awesome!  I shall get that downloaded.  Will mean I can be a bit more active on the various forums I visit then :) thanks!

Wow, sticking with it through breaking your toe. You rock :) Especially walking on it! Good luck on your second week, and stay safe!

Only managed three gym visits for week one but I definitely think that's allowed through injury :)

Toe isn't so bad as long as I keep it strapped up so managed to get to the gym this morning!Teaches me a lesson about dancing in the shower though hehe.

Plan for this week involves gym Weds eve, Thurs morning & Saturday morning so should managed 4 visits if I don't injure myself any more!  Damn being so clumsy!

This weeks step towards goal 4 accomplishment is to clear out the shed.  I have half a motorbike that needs a home so sorting through the garden junk while we've got some nice weather forecast! :D

Also, the nice weather means that tomorrow I'm going to brave the walk to work if I can wake up in time [this is a big ask, morning's are not currently my thing - maybe something to work on next challenge?].  I'm on dayshift though so it's a 5.5 mile hilly walk there, an 8 hour shift & 5.5 miles home again - it's called a challenge for a reason though!

5.5 mile hilly walk each way... with a broken toe.  That's adventurous!

Awesome!

Not so adventurous.  I only woke up at 10:15 & with work at 11, I didn't fancy the all-out sprint so gave in and got on the bike!

I keep kidding myself I can do this but the toe is definitely throwing a spanner in the works.  I'm losing momentum pretty rapidly  but I do plan on hitting the gym this morning after I've been to the doctor's!

My no pizza goal ALMOST failed yesterday, I was midway through lifting a slice to my mouth when I remembered and hastily ran to the shop to stock up on bananas & kiwis! :D

So yesterday was a disaster day for EVERYTHING BUT CHALLENGE!
It's nice that when all else goes wrong, at least I can say my will power held through it all & I did something good.
Started with a Porsche trying to take me out as I was rushing to the doctor's [running late because I took my sleeping pills late and couldn't shake them off]

Followed up by slipping on a patch of water at the gym & dropping a barbell loaded with 20kg onto my already broke toe [though before this happened I managed to beat my pb on deadlift!!!]

Got home to make myself some lunch and some how managed to set the burglar alarm off by making bacon.  Not the smoke/fire alarm, the burglar alarm.

It then refused to shut up for three hours by which point I got pissed off and ripped all the wires out.

Also, despite being a dry day my phone screen filled itself with water from somewhere & refuses to work now.

Ran out of petrol on my way to work and had to push the bike to a petrol station.

Also dropped several pans on my head, hit myself in the face with a pan lid, burnt myself, fell over twice, walked into the oven & trapped my hand in the fridge door in the first two hours of my shift.

But to really REALLY top the day off I managed to squirt myself in the face with kitchen grade sanitiser.  In my haste to get it out my eyes/mouth I forgot to rinse my neck so have woken up this morning with a patchwork of chemical burns which are hideously painful!

BUT, as today is a new day & I'm trying to be more positive about life, I took a bandanna to the gym with me, soaked it in cold water & wrapped it round my neck for the duration of my workout which brings gym visits up to three this week!

I have also managed to walk a few places today & give myself the motivation to walk more after realising the reason I ran out of petrol so quickly was all the ridiculous short journeys I make - the bike takes 5 minutes to warm up each journey I make, so if I pop to the shop that's ten minutes of just sipping petrol to buy milk.  Waste of my money!  So more walking is called for!

Another long shift at work tonight but I plan on taking a carton of plum tomatoes (honestly, I could eat kg's at a time given chance!) & some kiwi!  May also do what I did last night if I get really hungry & chow down on a "borrowed" pepper.  I'm sure my boss won't notice given people normally "borrow" cookie dough instead!

All in all, after an awful day yesterday I am determined to see the positives in the day & not let the many aches & pains (good OR bad) get me down!

Though I do think this challenge is trying to kill me, I've honestly never been THIS clumsy!

Another day, another gym visit!

Yesterday managed to crack on with the "moving in" goal.  Tidied shed, binned a load of junk, put all the spares for my motorbike in said shed.

Productive afternoon! :)

Even did some walking & what not!

Yesterday managed what I think is gym visit numero 4, actually lost count for this week :o and had the startling realisation I don't remember what pepperoni tastes like! Successful day one might say!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats on all of the gym visits, that is great!!

That day sounded awful. Good for you for powering through, holding your will power, and finding the positives in a shitty situation.

Your bike takes 5 mins to warm up? That seems excessive to me. Why so long? (Granted, I don't have a motorcycle...)

Should warm up any vehicle for a few minutes at least but my bike is a 1989 supersports with a high stress engine that revs to 20k so needs a little more love than most. She's a beauty despite being a massive pain in the ass haha

Going away Friday so only have 5 days for gym visits but should be fine. Since my awful day I have lost all power in my house and clocked up 6 hours overtime in 2 days, now I'm shattered and hate pizza more than ever before!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

post-15363-13672261157673_thumb.jpg

post-15363-13672261157673_thumb.jpg

Yesterday managed to get in a gym visit and walked all the way across town to go to a works do.

Today, woke up on wrong side of town & walked all the way home feeling horrific!  Stupid vodka.  Broken me somewhat!

BUT that's walking goal being accomplished right there.  Managed to get in a gym visit as well yesterday in between other bits & pieces.
Hungover work tonight will be a real test though - craving pizza kinda badly even though it's only 11am here!

Say no to the pizza!!

Sweet bike. Good job on the walking & gym visits! Even if the walking was a result of "waking on the wrong side of town" (which is hillarious).