• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Croman Red

Croman Red, Fourth Challenge: Adapt or die.

+1 on chaos and down with teh spreadsheets! Are you in the USAF stationed in Deutschland?  Good luck with the hunting license process, I have always admired how seriously ze Germans take driving and its no surprise they take hunting/firearms in the same regard.

18 April 2013

Fast day 4, 169(?)

Run 94 minutes x 9.4 min pace

German

Mobility

Notes:

Surprised on a couple of points today.  My weight was up, not a bad thing but unexpected.  Does dreaming about food add weight? The other thing was the run.  Had a long couple of days and not much sleep, so I figured my performance would be off.  Instead it was up, both in distance and pace.  Go figure.  Am having some deep aches and light cramping.  No surprise there.  All in all a good day 4.  

Work is hindering training for the hunting license, but this too shall pass. 

All hail Discordia!

18 April 2013

Fast day 4, 169(?)

Run 94 minutes x 9.4 min pace

German

Mobility

Notes:

Surprised on a couple of points today. My weight was up, not a bad thing but unexpected. Does dreaming about food add weight? The other thing was the run. Had a long couple of days and not much sleep, so I figured my performance would be off. Instead it was up, both in distance and pace. Go figure. Am having some deep aches and light cramping. No surprise there. All in all a good day 4.

Work is hindering training for the hunting license, but this too shall pass.

All hail Discordia!

That's pretty, weird, but awesome!! That run is awesome.

Sounds like it's all goin' pretty good over on your side of the planet. I do have a question, though. Why are we hailing Discordia?

Obax, 

About discordia:

Discordianism is a religion and subsequent philosophy based on the veneration or worship of Eris (also known as Discordia), the Greco-Roman goddess of chaos, or archetypes or ideals associated with her. It was founded circa 1958–1959 after the publication of its (first) holy book, the Principia Discordia, written by two individuals working under the pseudonyms Malaclypse the Younger and Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst.

The religion has been likened to Zen, based on similarities with absurdist interpretations of the Rinzai school, as well as Taoist philosophy. Discordianism is centered on the idea that both order and disorderare illusions imposed on the universe by the human nervous system, and that neither of these illusions of apparent order and disorder is any more accurate or objectively true than the other.

There is some division as to whether it should be regarded as a parody religion, and if so to what degree.[1] Discordians use subversive humor to spread their philosophy and to prevent their beliefs from becoming dogmatic. It is difficult to estimate the number of Discordians because they are not required to hold Discordianism as their only belief system,[2] and because there is an encouragement to formschisms and cabals.[3][4]

-Thanks again Wikipedia.

Its one of those weird pieces of info that you stumble across on random net searches.  I like it for the anti-tabulation movement.  

We need this on a t-shirt

+11111111111111111111111111111111111

Obax, 

About discordia:

Discordianism is a religion and subsequent philosophy based on the veneration or worship of Eris (also known as Discordia), the Greco-Roman goddess of chaos, or archetypes or ideals associated with her. It was founded circa 1958–1959 after the publication of its (first) holy book, the Principia Discordia, written by two individuals working under the pseudonyms Malaclypse the Younger and Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst.

The religion has been likened to Zen, based on similarities with absurdist interpretations of the Rinzai school, as well as Taoist philosophy. Discordianism is centered on the idea that both order and disorderare illusions imposed on the universe by the human nervous system, and that neither of these illusions of apparent order and disorder is any more accurate or objectively true than the other.

There is some division as to whether it should be regarded as a parody religion, and if so to what degree.[1] Discordians use subversive humor to spread their philosophy and to prevent their beliefs from becoming dogmatic. It is difficult to estimate the number of Discordians because they are not required to hold Discordianism as their only belief system,[2] and because there is an encouragement to formschisms and cabals.[3][4]

-Thanks again Wikipedia.

Its one of those weird pieces of info that you stumble across on random net searches.  I like it for the anti-tabulation movement.  

This sounds awesome.

AND running that long AT A 9MIN PACE? Holy crap man you're fast.

+11111111111111111111111111111111111

This sounds awesome.

AND running that long AT A 9MIN PACE? Holy crap man you're fast.

A 9.4 (9 min 24 sec) pace, and it surprised the crap out of me!  I'm not thinking this is a trend, or if it is I'm gonna have to rethink just about everything.  Most likely I miscalculated something somewhere:)  But thanks!

19 April 2013

Fast day 5, 170

Run 105 min x 10.5 min pace.

German

Mobility

Notes:

The combination of the fast and the running is fatiguing.  Both feel good though.  Today's run was much slower than yesterdays.  I'm assuming its because the tank is running on empty.  I think the next couple of days might be recovery runs.  So far this week I've run 41.9 miles in 6.87 hours with an average pace of 9 min, 50 sec.  Yesterday and today I noticed that the running is beginning to feel more "effortless".  The body goes on auto pilot and the mind only checks in when something starts to cramp or stiffen up.  Gotta watch that though, almost biffed it a couple of times when my toe caught a root 'cause I wasn't watching the trail close enough.  It will be interesting to see what this is like with recovery drinks and foods during the runs.  I figure its gotta be easier.

More about this week/notes for the future:

So far its unfolded in surprising directions.  I expected the combination of fasting and daily long (for me) runs would quickly lead to a steady decline in performance.  While last night's run was significantly slower than the night before, the night before was significantly faster than the rest of the weeks' runs.  I am pleased that my average pace for the week has been on target.

I am most surprised by how swiftly my body is adapting to this regimen.  I've already developed something of that "greyhound" look that marathoners get (although I'm still packing a growler).  I expected this, just not so quickly.  More surprising is that the movement mechanics (and a decrease in perceived effort) of the running are advancing so quickly.  I've been running short and intermediate distances off and on for decades, and its always been unpleasant work.  This last week its been enjoyable.   Pleasant even.  I might do another 10 miler tonight, regardless of how slow, because it sounds fun.  I do like the idea of being able to course my game for days on end through the wilds.

All of this gets me to thinking about long term goals.  I'm all about well rounded capability, not specialization.  But advanced capability requires a degree of specialization.  I'm thinking of rotating my focus between areas of fitness over time:  hit a good level with endurance, switch to a maintenance routine while hitting strength until its time to add that to the maintenance routine, then switch to parkour skill development, etc. 

Right now I'm focusing on the enduro thing because its a relatively simple place to start:  walk out of the door, start running, ignore the discomfort, don't stop for an hour or two.  Its a simple formula and I'm a simple guy.  Want to get to the next level with the running capability first.  Figure this through the Zugspitz Ultratrail.

Next, I'm thinking of lifting again for muscular endurance.  Light weights, high reps.  Should work in well with a maintenance routine for the marathon activity.   Over the long term I'm concerned with losing too much strength and muscle mass.  This isn't the final solution to that problem, but a good way to reverse the initial decline without abandoning or working contrary to the enduro efforts.  Body weight exercises are ultimately superior, but initial results come more quickly for me with weights, and I really want to see the end of my growler sooner rather than later.  (Vanity, thy name is Croman:)

After this we're getting into the new year, which is going to be a time of transition into a currently unknown local.  The fall back plan is running and body weight exercises because they require minimum equipment/facilities.  This would probably be a holding action.  What would be best is having access to (in this order) a parkour group and facility, a rock gym, or a power lifting gym.  This last is because it is good to push that envelope occasionally also (and its been over a decade for me now.)  Realistically, even if these opportunities were available, it would probably be next March or April before I would be able to avail myself of them.  Takes me awhile to get settled, Grandpa is set in his ways.

The end state is to move into old age (retirement in four years!)  being able to aggressively enjoy all of the physical adventures that I put aside while raising a family and being a good worker/consumer.  I've been eyeballing the Cascades, Rockies, Appalachians, Andes, and the Himalayas for awhile now.  Not for climbing, for hiking, unless I get bit by the technical challenge bug.  Alternatively, could settle down and make beer again:)

Not sure how realistic the rotational plan for capabilities training and advancement is.  Different types of fitness conflict with each other (dedicated power lifters don't do ultras, and vice a versa).  Also, don't know what to do when maintenance level routines aren't enough to stave off unacceptable performance loss.   

Croman, you are ridiculously impressive. I wanna be you when I grow up. Only with less running (and more spreadsheets!).

I don't know enough to be able to comment knowledgeably on your rotation plan, but it seems logical enough - I'd say go for it and see what happens!

I love how much you're enjoying the new running regimen - sounds like you've found something your body is happy to do, even when you're pushing it to ridiculous levels. Physical adaptation is awesome. Keep it up!

Nice work so far, and a good challenge. Running isn't fun until about an hour into it...that's how I got into long distance! After your race, I have a 'fun' thing you could try with weights....

I'm glad you're really enjoying this running thing, but I totally don't get it at all. Though, having never run for more than 25 minutes, I really don't know how enjoyable (or not) running for hours (emphasis on the plural) is for me. I also have no desire to find out, I will die a happy death never knowing this particular tidbit of information. But the important thing is that your crazy brain is enjoying itself, so yay to that!!!

I agree with Aeryn, I'd like to be you when I grow up, also with less running, but with the same number of spreadsheets. That presumes I'll grow up, though, so it might not work out for me... I also don't have the expertise to comment on your longer-term plan, but it sounds good to me. I think you're probably smart enough and easy-going enough to modify it as you go, anyway, if something doesn't work out quite like you planned. You're sounding a bit like me, with all my pre-planning and preparations for things that haven't happened yet :)

Why is hiking in the mountains and making beer mutually exclusive? Once you get all that stuff mixed, don't you just let it sit for some amount of time? You could just time your hikes for the brewing part of the brewing process, and come home only for the mixing/bottling parts. Seems like it could work out well, especially if you collect some interesting wild ingredients during your hikes for your next batch of beer.

Croman, you are ridiculously impressive. I wanna be you when I grow up. Only with less running (and more spreadsheets!).

I don't know enough to be able to comment knowledgeably on your rotation plan, but it seems logical enough - I'd say go for it and see what happens!

I love how much you're enjoying the new running regimen - sounds like you've found something your body is happy to do, even when you're pushing it to ridiculous levels. Physical adaptation is awesome. Keep it up!

Wow, thanks:)  

I should mention here that I too do spreadsheets.  They are part of my cover disguise when I'm not wearing running tights and whatnot.  I just believe they are an evil that must be resisted somehow.

Nice work so far, and a good challenge. Running isn't fun until about an hour into it...that's how I got into long distance! After your race, I have a 'fun' thing you could try with weights....

A "fun" thing to do with weights?  As long as it doesn't involve skateboards!

I'm glad you're really enjoying this running thing, but I totally don't get it at all. Though, having never run for more than 25 minutes, I really don't know how enjoyable (or not) running for hours (emphasis on the plural) is for me. I also have no desire to find out, I will die a happy death never knowing this particular tidbit of information. But the important thing is that your crazy brain is enjoying itself, so yay to that!!!

I agree with Aeryn, I'd like to be you when I grow up, also with less running, but with the same number of spreadsheets. That presumes I'll grow up, though, so it might not work out for me... I also don't have the expertise to comment on your longer-term plan, but it sounds good to me. I think you're probably smart enough and easy-going enough to modify it as you go, anyway, if something doesn't work out quite like you planned. You're sounding a bit like me, with all my pre-planning and preparations for things that haven't happened yet :)

Why is hiking in the mountains and making beer mutually exclusive? Once you get all that stuff mixed, don't you just let it sit for some amount of time? You could just time your hikes for the brewing part of the brewing process, and come home only for the mixing/bottling parts. Seems like it could work out well, especially if you collect some interesting wild ingredients during your hikes for your next batch of beer.

Up 'til now, the running thing has always been a gut-check, nothing fun about it.  That's why I'm so surprised it feels good.  Or at least not-bad.  Because of this I figure if I can do it anyone can (barring injuries).

I'm flattered that you two ladies want to be me when you grow up, but have you really thought about what you'd look like with a pelt?

The problem with going up into the mountains is coming back down.  The problem with making beer is stopping long enough to go hiking.  You just keep making batches continuously.  It's addicting.  And then you can't just let it go to waste, so you have to invite your friends over for BBQs, and next thing you know the mountain passes are closed for the winter so you decide to kill another few beers, then its into the holidays and you break out your special brews...its a vicious cycle.   I dunno if I have that kind of self discipline:)

20 April 2013

Fast day 6, 161

Ran 25 min at 10 min pace.

Mobility

German

Notes:

Funny how much time you have when you're not eating or engaged in food related activities.

Decided to just do a light recovery run today.  Left calf has been tight for a few days now, figured I'd give it a break.

German was hunting vocabulary and customs today.  Gave it a couple of hours.

Up 'til now, the running thing has always been a gut-check, nothing fun about it.  That's why I'm so surprised it feels good.  Or at least not-bad.  Because of this I figure if I can do it anyone can (barring injuries).

I'm flattered that you two ladies want to be me when you grow up, but have you really thought about what you'd look like with a pelt?

The problem with going up into the mountains is coming back down.  The problem with making beer is stopping long enough to go hiking.  You just keep making batches continuously.  It's addicting.  And then you can't just let it go to waste, so you have to invite your friends over for BBQs, and next thing you know the mountain passes are closed for the winter so you decide to kill another few beers, then its into the holidays and you break out your special brews...its a vicious cycle.   I dunno if I have that kind of self discipline:)

You could just make beer IN the mountains. Then 'accidentally' roll the bottles/barrels down the slope, to make yourself hike to go get them again.

This is sounding more and more complicated. Maybe you should just send all the beer to me, and I'll drink it for you, then you'll have some time to hike, at least.

As for the pelt, I'm already a hairy, dirty hippy, an extra layer of fur will just keep me warmer in the cold Canadian winters. In the summer, I'll just get groomed like the dogs (or maybe WITH the dogs) and get a 'cottage cut' like they do.

Know, O princes, that when the Great Ice melted and Statistical Analysis reigned supreme in the Dreaming Guild, hither came Croman, the Red, mischievous, knuckles dragging, a heretic, a Discordian, with gigantic impertinence and greater mirth, to tread the sacred spreadsheets of the Tabulassins under his Fivefingered feet.  (His feet were dirty from all that running.)

Boldly he ran to the Guild, where the Tabulassins entered data under the watchful eye of the High Tabulator.

Horrified, he watched as they swooned under the burden of analysis.  

"Wingingit is the natural state of Assassins!"  He cried.  "Tabulation is unnatural!  It is a whim of the organized mind. Makingitupalongtheway must always ultimately triumph."

"Jerk! Heretic!" Cried the High Tabulator.  But from the Tabulassin ranks, Chaossins rose, crying out against the oppression of the spreadsheet.  

Croman grunted with satisfaction.  The Schism was on!

More about this week/notes for the future:

So far its unfolded in surprising directions.  I expected the combination of fasting and daily long (for me) runs would quickly lead to a steady decline in performance.  While last night's run was significantly slower than the night before, the night before was significantly faster than the rest of the weeks' runs.  I am pleased that my average pace for the week has been on target.

I am most surprised by how swiftly my body is adapting to this regimen.  I've already developed something of that "greyhound" look that marathoners get (although I'm still packing a growler).  I expected this, just not so quickly.  More surprising is that the movement mechanics (and a decrease in perceived effort) of the running are advancing so quickly.  I've been running short and intermediate distances off and on for decades, and its always been unpleasant work.  This last week its been enjoyable.   Pleasant even.  I might do another 10 miler tonight, regardless of how slow, because it sounds fun.  I do like the idea of being able to course my game for days on end through the wilds..   

This is awesome. I, too, am surprised about the "running while fasting" success. I had trouble walking on my fast. I'm thinking though, that this may be related to how many times one has fasted, the body might be getting accustomed to it ("Alright, I get it, you're not going to feed me for a week...I guess I'll have to cowboy up and keep functioning.") I'm curious to see what happens the next time I fast to see if my body reacts differently the second time. 

I'm glad this running is getting enjoyable. It would suck if you were out there hours per day hating every second of it. Stalking game is a great motivation. 

Know, O princes, that when the Great Ice melted and Statistical Analysis reigned supreme in the Dreaming Guild, hither came Croman, the Red, mischievous, knuckles dragging, a heretic, a Discordian, with gigantic impertinence and greater mirth, to tread the sacred spreadsheets of the Tabulassins under his Fivefingered feet.  (His feet were dirty from all that running.)

Boldly he ran to the Guild, where the Tabulassins entered data under the watchful eye of the High Tabulator.

"Wingingit is the natural state of Assassins!"  He cried.  "Tabulation is unnatural!  It is a whim of the organized mind. Makingitupalongtheway must always ultimately triumph."

"Jerk! Heretic!" Cried the High Tabulator.  But from the Tabulassin ranks, Chaossins rose, crying out against the oppression of the spreadsheet.  

HAHA nice. 

This is ALMOST cool enough of a recounting to make me stop measuring.  *enters some figures into his spreadsheet*  Almost. :)

21 April 2013

End Fast on day 7, 159

Run x 24 min x 2.5 mile

German

Mobility

Notes:

Glad the fast is over.

Did another recovery run day. 

German was more hunting vocabulary and traditions.

Giving Wolverine a hard time:0