Croman Red, Fourth Challenge: Adapt or die.

Croman Red

Just going for it is a terrifying thing, and not at all easy. Which I think you probably know, I'm not criticizing. I take a lot of inspiration from your ability to just dive right in, it's like you live in a state of constant 20 Second Berserker Mode. I'm sure that's not entirely true, that'd be exhausting, but from my end it seems that way and I hope one day I can live my life that way too, or at least more so than I do now. Throw off the bowlines and sail away from safe harbour, and all that.

I will say that, after finding these forums and all the people here, I've done a much better job of it than I have in the past. I think it's easier when you feel like you've got nothing left to lose.

"Just going for it" really does become easier the more you do it.  Once I realized that the worst fears never happen, I really didn't have anything to lose.  Except for pride, and if you can laugh at yourself it seems like everyone else laughs with you instead of at you.  And sometimes they don't laugh.  Sometimes they tell their friends about the crazy sh!t the old guys does.  That's kind of fun too.  From your posts I think you are pushing your envelope these days, so "Yay!" Obax:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

NOTHING SPECIAL?? well I beg to differ sir. 

My favorite heroes are the ones who are just like everyone else except they just won't quit. They don't know when they're beaten so every time they fall down (or get knocked down) they get back up... (That's why Batman is cooler than Superman for one)

So many limits in our own minds! Up the Heresy! Dare to fail!

Be brave!  (a bit of NSFW language in the article)

I gotta agree, Batman is the ultimate "regular guy".  Still, I wouldn't turn down the chance to be Superman:)  (Actually, I always liked Captain Marvel better; red works for me, and the whole "Shazam!" lightning bolt has more style points than "up, up, and away!")

Cro Magnon Assassin

My game is off last week and this week.  Have to get my head around that.  Registered for an 85 km race on the 18th.  Having trouble figuring out how to finish the process.  Will have to collar my Psycho German Ultra Marathon buddy to walk me through the procedure.  This German language is bouncing off my exceptionally thick skull.

Do you think you need a bit of a break, mental and/or physical? These long runs seem to be an effort of will as much as a physical effort, that's gotta be draining... I definitely am pushing my own envelope, and I know it's draining for me.

I agree with you about Batman, he's definitely the best. I like Iron Man too, though when you think about it, both of them have the same superpower, namely being stinkin' rich. BUT they both use ingenuity and grit more than anything else, so there ya go.

I definitely tell my friends/family about what that crazy old guy is doing way over there in Germany, and about how he's been both a great inspiration and support to me.

Dare mighty thingsCurrent Challenge

I have no doubts that you will get your head back in the game. With a race like that, seems like a good part of it is mental. Maybe you should go do something totally different one day for your workout that is a big challenge, just to prove to yourself that you are ready.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Do you think you need a bit of a break, mental and/or physical? These long runs seem to be an effort of will as much as a physical effort, that's gotta be draining... I definitely am pushing my own envelope, and I know it's draining for me.

This is also my question... time for a no run, drink beer week?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

This is also my question... time for a no run, drink beer week?

You and Obax are hitting pretty close to the mark.  I took 4 days off and drank a lot of wine after the last marathon and I added rest days between run days to see if it'll help with recovery.  

Been thinking of backing off even more because the recovery seems fairly shallow;  after a day of rest I do a 10 miler and feel like I'm right back to where I was before the rest.  

Very frustrating.  I'm feeling a bit of divided over the lack of mileage.  I've got a double marathon on the 18th and I want to prep my body for the effort, but I also want to make sure its completely recovered and the fuel is topped off before I go into it.  

Thinking about doing one long run between now and Saturday (we have a long weekend)  and then pretty much nothing (running-wise) until the 18th.  

Considering doing Vector's "Just Strong" work outs during this time 'cause doing nothing is going to drive me nuts (and 'cause doing one lift for an hour is my kind of simple:).

Cro Magnon Assassin

8 May 2013

Absolutely nothing accomplished goal-wise.  Work started at 0600 and ended at 2100.  I was fried.  Came home, cooked a steak and drank a couple of glasses of whiskey while watching gratuitous violence on the tube for an hour and then crashed.  My head told me this morning that I should have stopped the whiskey after the first glass.  A hangover after two glasses of whiskey?  Maybe 20 years ago.  I must have been more wiped out than I realized.  Glad today is a holiday over here:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

8 May 2013

Absolutely nothing accomplished goal-wise.  Work started at 0600 and ended at 2100.  I was fried.  Came home, cooked a steak and drank a couple of glasses of whiskey while watching gratuitous violence on the tube for an hour and then crashed.  My head told me this morning that I should have stopped the whiskey after the first glass.  A hangover after two glasses of whiskey?  Maybe 20 years ago.  I must have been more wiped out than I realized.  Glad today is a holiday over here:)

Yeah, that's a 'chill out' sign it unusual. I'm allergic to whiskey, so I'd have been vomiting like a 7th grader after his first kegger. :)

You could probably stand to taper in a huge way starting now. I'd be surprised if three or four moderate runs (maybe alternating 5-10 miles) wouldn't have you kicking ass on race day. You're as adapted to the distance as you can be, now it's time to get un beat up so you are chomping at the bit. My ultra friends last ten days was something along the lines of 10, 8, 5, 3's if I recall. Enough to keep your patterning, but not enough to hinder recovery. You did the work, now collect the super compensation.

9 May 2013

Ran 22 miles x 4 hours and 29 minutes.

Mobility

Notes:

Set out to see what I had in the tank.  Quit after 22 miles.  My conditioning felt fine, but I had excruciating pain in my right knee the last 6 miles, so I called it a day.  Thought I'd really done myself in this time.  I was thinking it would work itself out on the walk home but no dice.  Then I took off my running shoes and Bam!  90% of the pain vanished.  And the last 10% is just the residual from being irritated for so long.  

Lesson learned:  a running shoe that works for 10 miles doesn't necessarily work for longer distances.  Might be going back to my trail shoes, didn't have this problem with them.  But I might try a pair designed for ultra distances instead.  My feet get tender from the marathon distance/trail shoe combo.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Vector:  Yeah, head pain is unusual.  And I had been hydrating all day.  Which was also unusual.  A coincidence?

Did my last pre-race long run today.  From here on out its probably going to be 2.5 milers just to get loose. Seemed to work last time.  Still gonna give the weights a try.  If I don't do something I'll go nuts.

Cro Magnon Assassin

I haven't been stabbed in the gut.  And I'm "old school" tough.  Give it a few years and you'll grow into your old man hardness...not your fault you're still a pup:)

Now I'm imagining you as the Marlborough Man. Maybe that's not far off, I have no idea...

Glad you've got yourself a plan, and some rest-while-still-doing-stuff. My dad said something similar to Vector's suggestion re: milage before a long race, his longest training run was 2 or 3 weeks before the event, with things getting gradually less and less as race day approached.

Dare mighty thingsCurrent Challenge

8 May 2013

is how I pictured the end of your day in my head.

"Before I do anything I ask myself 'Would an idiot do that?' And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Kurt Schrute

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

STR: 2.5 DEX: 2.5 STA:CON:WIS:CHA: 5

Now I'm imagining you as the Marlborough Man. Maybe that's not far off, I have no idea...

Glad you've got yourself a plan, and some rest-while-still-doing-stuff. My dad said something similar to Vector's suggestion re: milage before a long race, his longest training run was 2 or 3 weeks before the event, with things getting gradually less and less as race day approached.

Once again I've pushed up against the limits of my capabilities and its time to allow for recovery.  This is a good thing.  The question is, where will my recovery be on the 18th?  The problem with uncharted territory.  

Cro Magnon Assassin

Curious what trail shoes have you been running in?

The shoes of doom were an Under Armour model.  Don't know which, might be HD4, or that might just be the insole.  Good to about 15 miles.

Also tried Asics GT 2160's.  Also good to about 15 miles.

Trail runners:

New Balance Minimus.  Very happy with these off pavement.  Have done most of my training with these.  Feet get tender after 20 miles on pavement though.

Did 11 miles with INOV8 Trail ROC.  A very minimal shoe.  Had problems with the rocky portions of the trail.  Didn't poke through, but definitely got bashed around some.  Probably a good transition shoe from the Minimus to barefoot as my feet get tougher.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines