Rostov V - The Road Ahead

Rostov

This is my fifth challenge, and my second as a scout.  My first, second, and third challenges were under the adventurer banner, and the fourth as a scout.  Though that felt a little fraudulent, as it turned out that injury prevented me from doing very much running.

My original goal was weight loss and fitness gain.  I've lost 58lbs since I started counting properly back in May last year, of which over half has been since the start of my first challenge.  I've probably got perhaps another half a stone to a stone to lose - I'm not entirely sure, but I'll know it when I get there or thereabouts.  I've done this through calorie counting via my fitness pal, jogging on a rebounder indoors, bodweight workouts (first Steve's beginner workout, then my own modified version), and - in my second challenge - running outdoors.

Frustratingly, in my second challenge I was one run away from completing couch to 5k when I got injured.  One run.  I've got flat feet and started getting foot pains on the top of my left foot.  Long story short I rested it, it went away, I tried exercising again, it came back.  I got some hugely expensive custom orthotics and waited for the pains to go away.  They did, I carefully started running again, got up to two miles, overdid it, and injured myself again - similar, but related injury.  This time I'm doing nothing until it feels 100%, and then working up slowly.  Maybe. just maybe, I'll make my timed 5k by the end of this challenge.

So, here are my goals.

Goal 1: A shadow of my former self
Lose 5lbs (average of just under 1lb per week) over the duration of the challenge.  I'll do this by a combination of calorie counting and exercise and run a safe net deficit through, sustainable habits.  This has been a constant goal for each challenge, but as I've less to lose (and it's harder to do) I've made it 5lbs rather than 6lbs this time.

+0.5 con and +0.5 dex are available per 1lb of weight loss, for a total of +2.5 for each.

My starting weight is 85.5kg, 188.5lbs, 13 stone 6.5lbs

A sub-goal of this is Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is to work out on at least 11 days of 14.  This has been a regular goal that I've almost always succeeded at in full, so perhaps it's not a challenge any more.  However, I'd like to track it here to make sure.

Goal 2: Drink water like water, and soda like soda

One of the big changes I made when I first started out with weight loss was cutting out full calorie cokes/sodas.  It wasn't easy, but I succeeded and now rarely have any liquid calories.  However, I don't think I drank any less soda overall, but just shifted to Diet Coke and Pepsi Max.  While I don't want to throw words around like "addicted", I drink more than is good for me and do get a form of "withdrawal" if I don't have any.  This is not good.  I understand there's some research that would indicate that diet sodas are nearly as bad as full calories and that artificial sweeteners are not good for the body.  I'm unconvinced, and I think my experience has been that the kick of something sweet and caffinated helps satisfy cravings for high calorie food.  But perhaps that's doing something bad to my metabolism, I don't know.  What I do know is that it's not a cheap habit, and that if I let myself I'll drink it like it's water.  For this goal, I'm going to have a 1 litre bottle of cold water in the fridge at home which I'm going to drink and finish each day before I have any soda at home.  I'm going to succeed at this at least 5 days out of 7 each week.  I'm allowing myself a bit of wiggle room because this will be difficult on days when I'm not in much.

+0.5 wisdom for each week of success = +3 available overall.

Goal 3: The awesomeness of the middle distance runner
These were the targets that I missed in my last challenge and the one before that.  Injury permitting, these are my running goals:

(a) entering a timed 5k run (+1 cha for entering one at all); and

(b ) getting a time of under 30 mins (+3 sta). 

If I miss this, I get +0.5 sta if I complete without walking or stopping, and another +0.5 sta if I'm under 33 mins.

As well as the injury, I also need to make up lost time/training/running.  Hopefully I've not regressed too much, but I don't expect to be able to run 5k immediately - got to build back up.

Goal 4:  Life goal - Roll your Charisma

In my previous challenges I've set myself life goals related to getting to know people better, or opening up more, or turning acquantainces into friends.  Last time I decided to broaden things out and give myself points for times when I've taken a risk and "rolled my charisma" - to use a D&D term.  Actually my charisma score isn't bad, especially diplomacy, but I tend not to take risks and introversion is my default setting.  So in this challenge I'm going to put myself out there and be more open and more talkative and more sociable.  I did pretty well at this last time, and I'd like to continue it this time.  Last time I think I levelled up at this, so I'm going to be a bit tougher on the grading this time round.

+0.5 points per week where I can say that I've managed to do this.  Total +3 available, which I'll split evenly between wisdom and charisma.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Awesome goals Rostov! I really like how you've made it so that you must drink your water before you allow yourself a soda of any sort. Very clever indeed! I'm subbed as usual :D

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Thanks all. 

I should probably elaborate a bit on the soda thing.  I've got two litre bottles at home, and something I've learnt is that things like plate size etc influence portion control, so when I've got a big bottle what's actually quite a lot feels like less.  When I'm at work or out and about, it'll be 330ml cans or 500ml bottles, which are easier to keep track of in terms of consumption.  I'm not after giving up completely, but drinking it less often will be cheaper, probably better for me, and I'll likely enjoy it more too.

On introversion, I think a key insight for me was that extoverts find company energising, introverts find it tiring.  So when I'm in company I've got an energy bar that slowly depletes - if I'm with people I know and like, it depletes much more slowly than if I'm with people I know less well.  I've now got a much better sense for when the bar is nearly empty, at which point it's usually time for me to say my goodbyes and go home.  I've joined a new social club recently when means a fair few trips out for dinner/drinks/other kinds of activities.  I've been really enjoying these so far, but better self-awareness means that I can leave while it's still fun and before my energy depletes. 

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Great goals!

Do you have access to a fixed bike (or a regular one and somewhere to use it, much better)?, I think cycling (and/or swimming) would help you a lot to recover from your injury while developing a solid cardiovascular base, which in the long term will help your running, also, with stronger muscles injuries are less likely to appear (I think).

But then, I am a wannabe triathlete, so I LOVE to swim, bike and run, so I MAAAAY be a little biased.

Best of luck!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

It's certainly a thought.  At the moment I am able to jog on the spot on a mini-trampoline/rebounder thing in my front room.  For some reason the injury isn't aggrevated by that, probably because it's a soft surface and there's no forward momentum.  I think I'm probably not far off being able to run again, but I want to take it very carefully.  I don't have a bike but I've been thinking aobut getting one for a while - it's spring soon, so perhaps something to think about.  There is a swimming pool fairly close by (though a bit of a pain to get to), but its opening hours aren't ideal, and when I went previously they seemed to have more people wanting to swim lengths than there was space for - just two or three lanes, and the rest of the pool hired out for classes or competitive swimming or something like that.

Spoiler

Great goals.  I hope your injury situation works out... sounds like you're being good and careful about it.

Cheers, JF

jfrankovich

Level 5 Scout

I've run 306 miles in 2013!Current Challenge // 4th Challenge // 3rd Challenge // 2nd Challenge // 1st Challenge

Whether training or racing, a ScoutCannot wait to lace up and get outFor a ride or a run—It's rewarding and funTo set forth and explore a new route.

As requested, a week 1 update....

Lose 5lbs (average of just under 1lb per week) over the duration of the challenge.  I'll do this by a combination of calorie counting and exercise and run a safe net deficit through, sustainable habits. 

This week: 84.8kg, 187lbs, 13 stone 5lbs.  Off to a good start.  Think I was in a bit of a plateua towards the end of the last challenge, and what sometimes happens after that is a period of faster weight loss.  Fingers crossed.

A sub-goal of this is Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is to work out on at least 11 days of 14.  This has been a regular goal that I've almost always succeeded at in full, so perhaps it's not a challenge any more.

6 out of 7 this week, up to between 3 and 4 pull-ups and 2 x 10 one leg push-ups.

One of the big changes I made when I first started out with weight loss was cutting out full calorie cokes/sodas.  It wasn't easy, but I succeeded and now rarely have any liquid calories.  However, I don't think I drank any less soda overall, but just shifted to Diet Coke and Pepsi Max.  While I don't want to throw words around like "addicted", I drink more than is good for me and do get a form of "withdrawal" if I don't have any.  This is not good.  I understand there's some research that would indicate that diet sodas are nearly as bad as full calories and that artificial sweeteners are not good for the body.  I'm unconvinced, and I think my experience has been that the kick of something sweet and caffinated helps satisfy cravings for high calorie food.  But perhaps that's doing something bad to my metabolism, I don't know.  What I do know is that it's not a cheap habit, and that if I let myself I'll drink it like it's water.  For this goal, I'm going to have a 1 litre bottle of cold water in the fridge at home which I'm going to drink and finish each day before I have any soda at home.  I'm going to succeed at this at least 5 days out of 7 each week.  I'm allowing myself a bit of wiggle room because this will be difficult on days when I'm not in much.

Success today will be 6 out of 7 for the week.

These were the targets that I missed in my last challenge and the one before that.  Injury permitting, these are my running goals:

If I miss this, I get +0.5 sta if I complete without walking or stopping, and another +0.5 sta if I'm under 33 mins.

As well as the injury, I also need to make up lost time/training/running.  Hopefully I've not regressed too much, but I don't expect to be able to run 5k immediately - got to build back up.

Still got a feeling of weakness that I can't quite shift.  Not had a twinge in a while, but I'm really not sure whether it's time to start running again.  On the one hand, I've waited for ages for it to recover completely, and I don't honestly think it has, but on the other I can't help wondering how much of it is in my head.  Maybe I'll try a mile or so in a few days...

In my previous challenges I've set myself life goals related to getting to know people better, or opening up more, or turning acquantainces into friends.  Last time I decided to broaden things out and give myself points for times when I've taken a risk and "rolled my charisma" - to use a D&D term.  Actually my charisma score isn't bad, especially diplomacy, but I tend not to take risks and introversion is my default setting.  So in this challenge I'm going to put myself out there and be more open and more talkative and more sociable.  I did pretty well at this last time, and I'd like to continue it this time.  Last time I think I levelled up at this, so I'm going to be a bit tougher on the grading this time round.

Nothing I can really point to this week to justify the points.

Spoiler

You're doing good Rostov! I like the latin motto for the sub-goal! Subscribing, so keep us updated! =D

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

Week 2 update....

Lose 5lbs (average of just under 1lb per week) over the duration of the challenge.  I'll do this by a combination of calorie counting and exercise and run a safe net deficit through, sustainable habits. 

This week: 85.1, 187.6lbs, 13 stone 5.5lbs.  Ever so slightly up on last week, but not by a statistically significant amount.  I've been feeling thinner recently, and it's not long before I'll have to spend yet more money to get new clothes that actually fit.  Oh, the problems of success.  It's funny really... these days the slight over-indulgences that tempt me are toast and peanut butter or toast and ham, or toast and marmite.  I feel a bit bad when I give in to tempation, but this time last year "temptation" would have been an extra takeway, or a massive bag of crisps.

A sub-goal of this is Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is to work out on at least 11 days of 14.  This has been a regular goal that I've almost always succeeded at in full, so perhaps it's not a challenge any more.

6 out of 7 this week and last, so 12 of 14 overall.  My pull-ups have stalled a bit at 3 reps, inching towards 4. I think I've pulled in my left arm, probably because I'm doing too much of the pulling with my left and not enough with my right.  I'm going to leave this for a day or so doing much more.

Success today will be 7 out of 7 for the week, so pretty good.  I'm a little worried that all I'm doing is pushing my soda consumption to later in the evening, and probably not drinking that much less.  Not sure about that, though.

I went for mile run yesterday and my foot felt fairly good.  I'm coming to the view that what I've done to it this time is related to, but isn't the same, as the problem last time, so the solution might not be the same.  The mile felt quite good, and I've had no obvious reaction that's definitely not psychosomatic.  Back to walking today, and maybe a bit more running tomorrow.  When I am able to return to running, I'm going to have to re-learn pacing, as my default pace has become my rebounder pace, which is far too quick for a 5k - at least for me at the moment.  I'll need to slow myself down and hold myself back a bit more.

Did okay this week - full points.  Partly for socialising, and partly for navigating some conflict at work.  It didn't involve me directly, but I managed to calm a few people down a bit.

Spoiler

Funny thing happened today.....

This week we've had some glorious spring weather, so I've taken the scenic route to work through the park, turning a 13 minute walk into a 30 minute one, and my walking from about a mile a day to two miles.  Anyway, the joggers were out in force as I was walking home, and I got my usual pangs of jealousy.  I went sports training on Monday for the first time since December and got through that okay (though it was a very light session) and so decided to rest my foot and not do anything other than rebounder jogging or walking for a few days.  But.... beautiful day, perfect conditions for running, the park.... feeling okay....  So, I got home, got changed, and went straight out.  I'd only done a mile at a time at this point, and I thought I'd just walk to the park and then do a short run, then come back.

But I got sucked in... first the path, then the hill (because of the scout challenge), and then the next hill, and then down the slope to the woods and the lake, then just round the near edge of the lake, then round the full lake, and then... oh well, may as well run all the way back.

Full 30 minute run.  Cardio-vascular fitness felt fine - probably as good as or better than pre-injury.  A bit of running through treacle and blowing quite hard up the final hill, and probably quite slow overall, but pretty good.  Wasn't sure about my foot.... I was "aware" of it, but it wasn't painful or stiffening up like last time.  Walk home, rest, ice, and elevation and so far it feels fine.  DOMS is going to hit me hard tomorrow, I reckon, but if my foot is okay when I wake up tomorrow  I'll probably take a day off running and try another 30 minutes on Saturday.  If I can manage that, then a timed 5k may well be in sight....

In other news.... this week I kept being distracted by something shiny... my belt buckle.  My first thought was perhaps it was oddly shiny, or oddly sunny, but now I think it's because it's now more visible than before because of weight loss.  Certainly my clothes feel very loose, and at the very least I need a new belt.  Maybe some new trousers/jeans too if I've lost enough to drop to a 34, which isn't entirely out of the question....

Spoiler

Congrats Rostov! That is great news!

Hopefully you'll be up and running around in some new clothes. You'll be a regular running bad ass in no time :D 

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Rather than funny, it's great you're running again! Not only that, but loose clothes? \o/

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

Thanks everyone. :)  Full week 3 update....

This week: 84.6kg, 186.5lbs, 13 stone 4.5lbs.  I've got a slight weakness for toast at the moment, which needs a bit more resisting than I'm acheiving, but I'm still making decent progress on weight loss.  I bought some new jeans last week - 34" waist, although they were a fairly generous cut.  Given my frame size I don't think I'll drop another size, and the cut is more for my muscular thighs than the waist.  This time last year I was 40"-42".

6 out of 7 this week.  I've started on the pull-ups again, and I can usually manage 3 - need more work to build back up to where I was.

6 of 7 this week, with one exception for an evening out.

As mentioned above I managed a full 30 minute run.  I retreated to the rebounder for the following day, but ran a litle further, a little quicker, and up some more hills the day after that. No ill effects, though my foot still isn't quite right.  But whatever is wrong (which I think is diferent to last time) looks as if it will allow me to run normally as well as on the rebounder.  Not sure whether to run again today (after another rebounder day yesterday) or stick with the rebounder today and go back to circuits tomorrow.

It's been a quiet week, with some time off work and not much happening.  No points this week.

Spoiler

Continue to do well Rostov! You're doing really wonderful this go round and I think you're on the brink of breaking through where you previous top was! 

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Got a recommendation from a colleague about a running app the other day and went for a run this morning to try it out and get some stats.  Recently I've just been running to a playlist that's 30 minutes long, give or take, but not really timing it.  Before my injury I had a road course worked out that was about a mile on google maps, but that's as far as precision went.  This morning I managed 5k in just under 26 minutes, and I think I can bring that down a little because I really struggled through the first kilometre for some reason (probably because it was too early in the morning).  The first km split time was 5:41, compared to around 5 minutes for the others, and 4:38 for the last kilometre.  And there were some small hills involved - nothing major, but not a flat course.  I wonder if I can break 25 minutes on my flat road route?

I can't make this weekend's timed 5k park run, but perhaps next week or the week after.  It'll be on an unfamiliar course, early in the morning, they don't like people wearing headphones, and I've no experience of race conditions unless you count school sports days.  Which I don't.  But even considering all that, I ought to be able to make my goal 3 target of 30 mins fairly comfortably.  Injuries permitting.  Touch wood.  Fingers crossed.

I also managed a successful injury-free return to circuit training earlier this week, so things are looking pretty good on the exercise front.

Spoiler

Don't let the no headphones rule put you off. I usually use them too, but running with others and having all your senses open to the world is a good experience in itself, and well worth trying.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Don't let the no headphones rule put you off. I usually use them too, but running with others and having all your senses open to the world is a good experience in itself, and well worth trying.

I think that's one of the reasons that they don't like people wearing them - because parkruns are supposed to be social.  I've always run with headphones mainly because I've needed them for couch to 5k podcasts, and after that to help with estimating time and for distraction purposes. Probably I'll use the app to work out a route that I'm confident is circa 5k and then try it with phone/app but without headphones.  I'm a little worried about estimating time/pace without any cues, but the course might be more open than I'm expecting and so easier to gauge distance, and might (or might not) have distance markers.  I could, of course, just wear a watch.  And it's not the end of the world if I don't get my best possible time first time out.

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines