Brian Shapes Up For the Rebellion

Brian.

They say every cloud has a silver lining and today proved to be such a day. I ran my previous route only to discover that what I mapped out on the computer as 5K wasn't actually 5K. In fact it was just under 3 miles, I know this because I ran with 'map my run' turned on, once I realised my course was too short I had to improvise to continue my run.

The silver lining, 5K in 24:48 CONFIRMED.

Excuse me while I have a little dance and then collapse in a sweaty heap.

So impressive! Sometimes the good news arrives and we don't even realize.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

CONGRATS!!! big milestone!

Thanks.

keep up the good work!

I will.

So impressive! Sometimes the good news arrives and we don't even realize.

So true, a few weeks ago I had no idea that i would get close to the time.

Congrats on the 5k time!  That's pretty awesome!

Mind if I pick your brain about ye olde TRX sometime?

-jj

Thanks. I'm fairly new to using the TRX but please do ask away.

Another TRX & mediation session ticked off yesterday. Today I have a TRX session, a run and some meditation scheduled for today. I did my weekly weigh (for my battle thread) and despite the terribe extended weekend last week I am back at 165lbs which I am happy about. Once my workouts are done for the day I have Friday off which I am looking forward to. I moved my TRX workouts ahead a week to increase the difficulty and it certainly is harder.

1 Challenge completed.

a belated welcome, and the goals look good to me.

2 a week is impressive whether pounds or inches.  way to go!

Thanks. In hindsight that goal might have been a little too ambitious.

Today (Friday) was my day off from training and I really enjoyed it even if it makes me feel like I am leaving something that I should be doing. I think in the coming weeks I need to focus a little more on my meditation goal. I'm finding it hard to quiet my mind down at the moment and I really could be a bit more disciplined with my practice.

1 Challenge completed.

Another TRX session ticked off today along with meditation today and Saturday. I should hit those 2 goals on target this week and I really feel like I've hit my stride. I also cooked and ate sweet potato wedges this week for the first time and thought they were great. My running has also been solid, I can comfortably run at a 5:40/km pace so I will continue to add distance slowly as the weeks progress.

My aim for the coming week is to keep on top of what I eat, keep my workout journal up dated and to make sure that my meditation has more focus about it. Some days I am good with it and other days I just seem to be going through the motions which is not a good use of time.

1 Challenge completed.

Time for my weekly update.

Weekly Totals

Goal #1 - Meditation -  I got in 6 sessions this week so I still have 1 to catch up on that I missed in week 1. My sessions have been a bit hit and miss this week so I will be looking to get a bit more focused with it. Once I get into the routine of doing it at the same time every day I'm I wont miss any more sessions. Overall 11/36 completed

Goal #2 - TRX Training - 4 sessions completed this week and I have jumped ahead a week in the programme to make it a bit harder for me. I have definitlely noticed that my core is a lot stronger. I am not sure if it is a great way to improve strength and I will most likely move back to doing weight lifting once the challenge is done. I will probably try to keep 1 or 2 TRX sessions in a week though because the core work is fanatasic. Overall 8/24 completed.

Goal #3 - Weight/Diet -  This week has been much better in terms of what I eat and I have only had 2 cheat meals which were either side of a double training session (TRX followed by 5K run). I won't weigh myself until Thursday as I that it my normal weight check day. I purposely only get on the scales once a week so that I don't get stressed by the daily fluctuations that occur. This Thursday is also 2 weeks since I last checked my measurements so I will be taking them again.

Its been a great week and I intend for week 3 to be even better.

1 Challenge completed.

Took my measurements today because I'll be at work all day tomorrow. I can hop on the scales in the morning to check my weight but I won't have the time to measure much. Nothing of real change measurement wise but that makes sense since at the end of last week my weight had crept up a little from the week before. I'm fairly confident I have dropped a bit of weight, I will find out tomorrow.

I have a TRX session on Thurday night and after that I will be jumping ahead again to the next progression in the schedule. It's the same excercises but for more sets, the single sets are just not enough for me at the moment. I have been putting a lot of thought into how I can convert my garage into a gym. I need to clear out most of the rubbish and stick some carpet down before I can do anything. The only big downside is that I have no electricity supply to it and can't wire some in because its away from where I live. Heat isn't a concern, I work outside anyway so I am used to the weather but light will be an issue. Its something I will have to suss out because all the gyms near me are terrible for weight training.

1 Challenge completed.

Yesterday for the first time I am starting to see some real and visible changes to my body. There is a hint of ab definition showing through the top of my belly, I feel so inspired.

Awesome! Nothing motivates like seeing progress! Congratulations!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Awesome! Nothing motivates like seeing progress! Congratulations!

Thanks.

I have another work social function on the 22nd, I'm really hoping it doesn't stall my healthy eating as much as it did last time. I'm going to have to use all my powers of self control on this one.

Goal #1 - Meditation -  Another 6 sessions ticked off this week, I was hoping for 7 but on Sunday night I was running so late for my nightshift that I didn't manage it. I still have a few weeks to catch up on the dropped one. My sessions have been a bit better this week but I'm still struggling to achieve the the level of concentration I have in the past. Overall 17/36 completed

Goal #2 - TRX Training - 4 sessions completed this week and I have just jumped ahead another week in the programme to add in more sets. Surprisingly it doesn't take that much longer but I feel much more spent after and it's a great feeling. I've been noticing some changes to my body around my core in the mirror this week which is fantastic. Overall 12/24 completed.

Goal #3 - Weight/Diet -  I dropped approximately 2lbs this week but I won't weigh up for sure until the end of the challenge. I have been eating much better this week than I did last week so hopefully things keep moving in the right direction. I think I now eat more Bell Peppers than any other human alive.

1 Challenge completed.

Hahaha! That last bit was so funny!

Isn't it just great when you start seeing changes!!??

Its fantastic. Im coming to the end of my first 2 months trying to improve my health and physique. In the early weeks I had to trust the process because things didn't seem to be progressing but being able to see the differences is a huge thing. Once this challenge is over I am looking forward to comparing myself to pictures I took right at the start.

1 Challenge completed.

yeah! sounds like you are doing great. it is always fantastic to look in the mirror and suddenly realize you have muscles after all. 

i too love the bell peppers - but have been eating an inhuman amount of cabbage lately (mostly sauteed w/bacon).

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Wow nice pace on your runs! I always wanted to be a runner but could never really get the hang of it. My wife is a half/full marathoner and running is like her drug.

Thanks. I comletely understand the running drug thing. One thing I have been looking to do after this challenge is to start working on my strength with weights. I should reduce my cardio (running) to make this as effective as possible but I don't want to reduce my running. Needless to say, I'm going to be stubborn and keep running.

I'll bet I could give you some competition there! I hated them as a kid, but eat at least one daily now.

I still don't have any real love for the taste but they go with just about everything. Some days I eat them with every meal.

1 Challenge completed.

Goal #1 - Meditation -  Completed 6 sessions this week. I had hoped to do 7 but something is still missing and I didn't feel like I should do it just to get the number up. I feel like I'm not doing it justice and I don't know why. Overall 23/36 completed

Goal #2 - TRX Training - 4 sessions completed this week and I'm thinking of moving forward in the next week or so. Im sure that the TRX has worked to improve my strength, especially my arms, chest and core.  Overall 16/24 completed.

Goal #3 - Weight/Diet - On thursday I had dropped to a weight that I haven't had for in excess of 7 or 8 years. I feel better than I have for a long time and it is just motivating me more and more to improve myself. I keep thinking to myself "why didn't I do this years ago". My diet has been pretty much on target this week with no cheat meals and I seem to have found that a bit of brown rice once a day is a good balance for me.

1 Challenge completed.

Goal #1 - Meditation -  Completed 5 sessions this week. It should have been 6 but I have been so busy this week I've barely had time to think. Overall 28/36 completed

Goal #2 - TRX Training - 4 sessions completed this week and I have moved forward a week in the system progression. Suspended side planks and now being done on one had. It makes me shake a lot but I can just about manage it.   Overall 20/24 completed.

Goal #3 - Weight/Diet - Still dropping weight and fat levels every week. I have dropped another 2 inches on my waist and had to bring in my belt another hole. I am now at a weight that I cannot remember being since I was in my teens (I'm 32).

Another thing that I have done is get hold of a decent weights set up up on ebay for use after the challenge is finished. I have almost finished sorting my garage out to be used as a gym, I have no power supply to it but that shouldn't be an issue.

1 Challenge completed.

Wow great progress on your weight! That will definitely be my main focus next challenge, so thanks for the motivation!

Thanks. My biggest hurdle is social commitments, especially ones which are based around work. I have found that they really require a lot of self control and they slow my progress a little. When I joined the site that would really bother me but now I just accept it, after all, I still want to enjoy life and git fit at the same time.

1 Challenge completed.

I managed to negotiate my work based social commitment with minimum disruption to my training which I am delighted with. I am really looking forward to seeing how my weight, measurement and pictures stack up when compared with week 1.

One thing I am a little concerned with is that my left lower leg has been giving me some issues when running these past two weeks. I really don't think I can combine running with my aim to build muscle when the challenge is over. I'm looking at alternatives and I might have to combine yoga with strength training.

1 Challenge completed.

Thanks. My biggest hurdle is social commitments, especially ones which are based around work. I have found that they really require a lot of self control and they slow my progress a little. When I joined the site that would really bother me but now I just accept it, after all, I still want to enjoy life and git fit at the same time.

This is such a huge realization and often we loose sight of it. We want to get fit so we can enjoy life... and often forget to enjoy life in the process of getting fit. Great attitude!

I managed to negotiate my work based social commitment with minimum disruption to my training which I am delighted with. I am really looking forward to seeing how my weight, measurement and pictures stack up when compared with week 1. One thing I am a little concerned with is that my left lower leg has been giving me some issues when running these past two weeks. I really don't think I can combine running with my aim to build muscle when the challenge is over. I'm looking at alternatives and I might have to combine yoga with strength training.

Looking forward to your final report for this challenge.

I've also come to realise that running & building muscle isnt working for me. I am still trying to figure out how I will get around it for the next challenge. Focus will be running since I am signed up for a 5k... but I dont want to drop the muscle building completely. I am thinking of doing my body weight exercises following my easy runs. So my easy runs become a warm up for the strength training. On speed work days and also the next day... no strength training allowed. Anyway... I have a few more days to decide.

Yoga and strength training sounds like a good combo. :)

I also want to say thank you for being active and commenting in a lot of posts encouraging the other guild members! :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines