swaffe: Getting Back in Touch (my first challenge)

swaffe

So this is my first challenge and also my first time posting, but I have been lurking for a little while.  I used to be more in tune with my body and the world around me but the hectic nature of life got in the way and I got away from listening and I am now trying to get back on track.  It has also been 2-3 years since I have been on track.  I do now carry some excess weight and did even before but I was losing before and I am again.  It is also my personal belief that if I listen to my body and do the right things (at least majority of the time) my weight will reach the point that it needs to be, so it is not my main focus.
 â€¨

So here are my goals for this challenge:

1) Yoga Once a Week

I started doing yoga three weeks ago, for the first time ever, even before I always wanted to try but never did.  After the first two classes (drop-in) I knew I was hooked.  So I have signed up for an eight week long class that starts this Thursday and it is my goal to attend them each week.
Grading:  A-missing 0 classes   B-missing 1 class   C-missing 2 classes   D-missing 3   F-missing 4 or more
STR: 2  WIS: 3

2) Take a Walk Three Times a Week

I have gotten out of the habit of walking regularly, which has been aggravated by joint pain, especially a very bad hip (despite being only 22).  I am hoping walking will help strengthen my hip and I know walking outdoors (weather permitting) will help me reconnect.  I hope for three times a week for at least 15-30 minutes.
Grading:  A-walking 3x every week   B-walking 3x most weeks, 2x some   C-walking 2x most weeks 
D-walking 1x most weeks, 2x some    F-walking 1x or less every week
STR: 1  STA: 3

3) Drink 2 Liters of Water Everyday

I have been ignoring my body’s need for more water to often, so I hope to drink 2 liters of water or naturally caffeine free herbal teas a day.
Grading:  A-drinking 2 liters of water everyday   B-drinking 2 liters of water 5 days a week  

C-drinking 2 liters of water 4 days a week D-drinking 2 liters of water 3 days a week  

F-drinking 2 liters of water 2 days or less a week
CON: 3

4) Paint Once a Week

I am currently only painting once a month sometimes even less.  Painting has always been one of the best ways for me to connect to my inner self and to express my emotions.  It is the most healing activity for me personally so I would like to get back to doing it more often.  I would like to paint at least once a week, not necessarily complete a painting each week since some steps require some time to dry, but pulling out the canvas at least once a week.
Grading:  A-painting every week   B-painting 5 of 6 weeks   C-painting 4 of 6 weeks  D- painting 3 of 6 weeks  F-painting 2 of 6 weeks
WIS: 2  CHA: 1

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

STR 1 I DEX 2 I STA 4 I CON 5.5 I WIS 7.5 I CHA 4.75

Challenge 1 - 1.1 - 1.2 - Current Challenge

Welcome to the Druids and congratulations on your goals. 

I think it's wise to start yoga through a course and gain knowledge to build upon.

Walking three times a week is a good and sensible goal to start with, and who knows - you might want to increase later.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

I have joint issues, too, and find that the stronger I am, the better they feel. Anything weight-bearing (walking counts!) should strengthen the supporting muscles and help the joint. But- it is uncomfortable at first. Get through the first weeks and you should start noticing a difference! Good luck!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

I love the painting goal. I draw very sporadically (mainly because I'm not very good at it and I find it a struggle) but like you I find it very engaging and I'm always amazed at how much time passes when I'm concentrating. Walking three times a week is a great place to start, it's tricky with joints, you have to balance between discomfort and proper pain.

Best of luck.

1 Challenge completed.

welcome aboard - i love your goals!  i notice a real difference in my mood if I can get outside to spend some meaningful time in nature. 

is the yoga helping with your hip at all?  the class instructor might be able to recommend something to help you specifically with that.

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Welcome here!

Good luck with these cool goals and dont forget to tell me what helped with your hip in the end.

I found many good things like pigeon pose, but nothing really lasts for mine ;)

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Thank all of you for the warm welcome and motivations.

welcome aboard - i love your goals!  i notice a real difference in my mood if I can get outside to spend some meaningful time in nature. 

is the yoga helping with your hip at all?  the class instructor might be able to recommend something to help you specifically with that.

The yoga does seem to be helping my hip some, especially right after and for a day or two after it feels better than I remember but by the end of the week I am back where I started.  Asking the instructor is a great idea, which I hadn't thought of (even though it seems so obvious, lol)

I made it through the first day of the challenge pretty well.  I met my 2 liters of water goal and took a walk for 20 minutes.  So one walk down this week, two more to go  I probably won't focus on the painting goal until this weekend though since I am towards the end of a large project for a client with a deadline Friday that is zapping my creative energy.

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

Hey! I'm the Assassin who signed up for your Fellowship of the Nerds group. :D Great to meet you, and neat goals!

Le cÅ“ur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point. (The heart has its reasons that reason cannot know.)

@kawaiidragoness || @KawaChallenge || Reddit || Tumblr || Youtube || Dropbox (cloud storage) || Kiva (microloans for the world's economy!) || Universe Project 

L2 Spriggan AssassinSTR 5 | DEX 3 | CON 7.67 | STA 6 | WIS 5.5 | CHA 4.67QUEST || CHALLENGE: Lair (0) Start-Scummer (1) UD (2)

Hey, I, also 22 and have hip issues! It may depend what is causing it, but if you can I would suggest trying fish oil, as this has helped with my hip in a dramatic way!

I'm sure walking it will help also.

Good, achievable goals, and easy to measure. Good job.

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

STR: 12| DEX: 2| STA: 2| CON: 7.75| WIS: 9| CHA: 5|

Current challenge:

Welcome to the Druids! I love your goals. Great start to the week. I am sure you will notice a difference to how you feel after the 6 weeks!

If you feel up to it, do join our Druid mini-challenges, its a lot of fun:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/27575-mini-challenge-around-nf-in-40-days-strong-like-a-warrior/

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Hey, I, also 22 and have hip issues! It may depend what is causing it, but if you can I would suggest trying fish oil, as this has helped with my hip in a dramatic way!

I'm sure walking it will help also.

Good, achievable goals, and easy to measure. Good job.

I will have to try fish oil, I didn't know it helped with joints.

I have been good with drinking two liters everyday, though I have been feeling more bloated the past few days but I'm not sure if its the liquid or something unrelated.

So I have taken two walks this week and have one to go.  I am planning to paint this weekend and I'm looking forward to yoga tomorrow.

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

So far all is still going well, I did miss one of drinking two litters of water, but other than that I've been doing well.  I finally met the painting goal today and got lost in a canvas for 5 hours.  In a way I can't believe tomorrow is the one week mark, it went by really fast and I'm glad I got off to a strong start!

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

Glad to read you got a great first week! Wow 5 hours of painting... nice!

Keep it up! :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

So I'm trying to figure out how to keep track of this from week to week without having to read back through at the end, because having to figure out what I have and have not put on here already and gauging how I am doing is driving me up a wall right now.  Hopefully I'll think of something.

This week I have walked twice (I'm planning the 3rd for tomorrow),  I have kept up drinking 2 liters everyday, I went to yoga on Thursday, and I painted for an hour today. 

I unfortunately have not had as much stamina this week, and have been super stressed.  Which after how well the first week went this one being harder just kinda made this week seem worse. I came very close to skipping yoga this week and couldn't keep up the creative energy to paint for too long, even though both are sources of relaxation.  It is funny how when we need something most is when it it becomes difficult for us to do.

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

i use my thread as a note pad - i had been using a food journal and an exercise log and the forums - TOO MUCH.  so i just post on my thread a bunch.  i don't think i annoy too many people. and then i know exactly where to look.  although this strategy only works b/c i quit keeping a food journal. i logged calories for a good 6 months - at this point i know what i'm eating without having to check.

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

This is exactly what I use Twitter for: I do it, I tweet about it. Then when I log, I post that I logged.

Le cÅ“ur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point. (The heart has its reasons that reason cannot know.)

@kawaiidragoness || @KawaChallenge || Reddit || Tumblr || Youtube || Dropbox (cloud storage) || Kiva (microloans for the world's economy!) || Universe Project 

L2 Spriggan AssassinSTR 5 | DEX 3 | CON 7.67 | STA 6 | WIS 5.5 | CHA 4.67QUEST || CHALLENGE: Lair (0) Start-Scummer (1) UD (2)

Welcome and please let me chime in with congratulations on your progress so far, with these very worthwhile goals,

with the painting being a good reminder of how we postpone our own pleasure sometimes so habitually that it takes challenging ourselves to get back to it !

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

So after thinking over how to track everything I have decided to keep written notes on a notebook (since I have at least one with me at all times anyway) and then to do some general updates when I'm on and to do a summary post each week.  Since this is week 3 and I haven't done any summaries this will be a long post so please bear with me.

Week One

April 15-21

Yoga: 1 of 1

Walking: 3 of 3

Water: 6 of 7

Painting: 1 of 1

General Notes: Great week with a strong start

Week Two

April 22-28

Walking: 3 of 3

Water: 7 of 7

General Notes: Slightly tougher but made it through

Week Three

April 29-May 5

Walking: 4 of 3

Water: 4 of 7

General notes: Yoga was really tough this week.  The instructor while doing some stretches for the whole body tends to focus more on one area of the body each week.  This week happened to be the hips, which I have some issues with.  Some of the poses seemed to help my hip and hurt in a good kind of way, while some others really just hurt.  The main ones I seemed to have issues with were tree pose, half moon, and three legged dog (all when the weight was placed on my right hip, on my left they were fine) so I think I might need avoid anything that puts a large amount of my weight on my right hip at least until it is stronger.  I also sucked at drinking the right amount of water this week, but I am really excited that I exceeded my walking goal.

Mini Challenge

Scouts

From the scouts I learned all about barefoot running and by extension barefoot walking.  Last week I completed one barefoot walk and this week 3 of 4 were barefoot.  I have also bought a pair of invisible shoes (huaraches that are supposed to be closer to barefoot, I looked into vibrams but they are out of my price range for the moment) to use when walking indoors.  The first two times it felt kind of weird walking walking barefoot, but by the 3rd I was a bit more used to it.  It also seems like it causes less pain for my hip and I can walk longer, which seems almost like a miracle to me after only 4 times.

Mini Challenge

Rangers

For the Rangers challenge I have checked my food for the since Tuesday.

Tuesday - Lunch: Roasted chicken, cabbage and carrots with balsamic vinaigrette, and rice 

Dinner: homemade chicken salad with leftover chicken, grapes, pecans, mayo, and greek yogurt over fresh spinach.

Wednesday - Lunch: Leftover chicken fried rice with frozen vegetables

Snack: mixed nuts

Dinner: Spanakotyropita, lahanodolmathes orphana (cabage stuffed with rice and veggies, with lemon sauce), and lamb kabob

Thursday - Lunch: cucumber, tomato, and feta salad with leftover chicken

Dinner: (ate out) calamari with curry and a mixed greens salad with tomato, cucumber, carrots, cabbage, and dijion vinaigrette

Friday - Lunch: pan seared chicken, brussel sprouts with cheddar cheese, and mashed potatoes

Snack: an orange

Dinner: Steak, frozen mixed vegetables, and roasted potatoes

Saturday - Lunch: 3 egg scramble with leftover steak, mushrooms, spinach, cilantro, and cheddar cheese 

Dinner: nachos with leftover chicken and pico de gallo

Sunday - Lunch: (ate out) swiss chard, picked beets, cheesy smashed cauliflower, a biscuit, and honey

Snack: turkey jerky

Dinner: spinach salad with pecans, strawberries, goat cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette

So the the things I ate that were processed this week were: salad dressings, rice (white) mayo, greek yougurt, soy sauce, frozen vegtables, filo dough, chedar cheese, butter, turkey jerky, and the two meals I ate out this week.  Some I ate more than once a week some only one.  The worst 4 meals I ate were the two meals I ate out the nachos and Wednesday dinner, though Wednesdays are a long standing special dinner (though it is home cooked every week), and the Sunday Lunch is another long standing outing with a friend.  Saturday dinner was an odd exception and doubled as a dinner with a client (only the 3rd meeting with a client I've ever had involving food).  Though I did not have any meals that were fully paleo, I did have 3 that would qualify as primal.  So there is defiantly some room for improvement on the eating front, it honestly wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  Although I don't expect myself to ever go full paleo (clean eating, makes more sense to me personally) I could work on removing the processed foods from my diet, and it seems the first place to start would be to make my own salad dressing, I mostly eat vinaigrettes so it shouldn't be too difficult. Also eating meals that aren't as health should be reserved for Wednesday dinner and eating out occasions.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read any of this!

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

Ooh, dude, I've been wanting to check out the huarache-derived running sandals for a while now. 'cuz, while I love my vibrams, they do kind of make me look like a douche, and they smell. How are you liking them?

So far I actually really like them.  They feel like actually being barefoot but without some of the sensations such as hot pavement or sharp rocks (neither are bad in my opinion).  I actually bought them originally just bought them just for occasional use when I couldn't walk outside but have been wearing them almost constantly for the past few days (I still have to wear dress flats when I meet clients, unfortunately).  Really the only downside was that lacing them was a bit difficult (the ones I bought you have to lace yourself), though the fit is probably better than being pre-laced.  I also suggest looking for ones with flexible soles because I think that is what makes them feel kind of like an extension of my foot.

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

So I never got on last week to log my progress.  Things got thrown off due to my OH's dad having a heart attack.  Thankfully he is home now and doing better and things are slowly getting more like normal.  Considering the recent events I am trying not be disappointing about how I did last half of last week and the first half of this week went, but I have always been my harshest critic so letting it go isn't coming easily and its a struggle to let it go and roll with the punches.

Week Five

May 6-12

Yoga: 0 of 1

Walking: 2 of 3

Water: 5 of 7

Painting: 0 of 1

General notes: The first part of this week went great and then the rest went to hell.  The things I had been doing near the end of the week got completely neglected (yoga and painting).  Though at least the walking and water wasn't so horrible and with

Week Six

May 6-12

Walking: 3 of 3 (I have the third planned for tomorrow, I will edit if for some reason I don't

Water: 4 of 7

General notes: The first part of this week was not so great but I was able to recover some during the last half.  Though this week all 3 of my walks were during the last half and on consecutive days.

Mini Challenge

Monks

Signed up for a self defense class starting in June.

Mini Challenge

Assassins

I kind of completed the assassin mini challenge without really even meaning to.  It was only upon the reflection of recent events that lead me to realize I adopted the assassin mindset for a few hours without even knowing it.  After leaving the hospital one afternoon and opting to eat out with my OH because we both knew neither of our houses would have food, since we had neglected grocery shopping with everything going on.  In a total loss for how to make him feel better I drug him to a small playground down the block owned by a church, and even though he was resistant at first we ended up staying for two hours until dusk.  It turns out swings, slides, monkey bars, and merry go rounds are great therapy because we both walked away feeling more "normal" than we had the entire week.

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

So I never got on last week to log my progress.  Things got thrown off due to my OH's dad having a heart attack.  Thankfully he is home now and doing better and things are slowly getting more like normal.  Considering the recent events I am trying not be disappointing about how I did last half of last week and the first half of this week went, but I have always been my harshest critic so letting it go isn't coming easily and its a struggle to let it go and roll with the punches.

Assassins

I kind of completed the assassin mini challenge without really even meaning to.  It was only upon the reflection of recent events that lead me to realize I adopted the assassin mindset for a few hours without even knowing it.  After leaving the hospital one afternoon and opting to eat out with my OH because we both knew neither of our houses would have food, since we had neglected grocery shopping with everything going on.  In a total loss for how to make him feel better I drug him to a small playground down the block owned by a church, and even though he was resistant at first we ended up staying for two hours until dusk.  It turns out swings, slides, monkey bars, and merry go rounds are great therapy because we both walked away feeling more "normal" than we had the entire week.

That last part is so inspiring and I find it fascinating which routes intuition can lead us!

Don't be too hard on yourself for the rest. The hardest part is to get back on track and that's what you did. Life happens, all the time, and we're here to create lasting routines and that takes time.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines