Wandern

This is my fourth challenge, and I seem to be at a plateau. No weight loss, no significant gains in strength, and, most importantly, no further progress on getting into those shorts. And, it’s a really, really busy time of year and I have lots of stuff I need to get done. Most of which I have been avoiding the last few months. So. It’s time to kick things up a notch. Make some reach-for-it goals and get myself going again.

I have 2 main goals for these 6 weeks: get into those shorts at long last dang it, and get sh!t done. I’m taking a cue from Chanda and using some nesting sub-goals that should push me towards the big ones. Here’s how I’m going to do it:

Goal 1: Exercise.  

• Weights: Nerd Fitness Barbell Battalion Rank 1B Workout. That’s lifting 4 times a week. I’ll be adding weight slowly to avoid injury. 24 possible points. A=24 points. B=22 points. C=20 points, D=18 points. I actually started this last week, and am supposed to take off every 6 weeks, so I’m giving myself 4 points to start. +2 STR, +1 DEX
  • Park in the far lot 2x/week minimum – 12 points. A=12+, B=11, C=10, D=9. +1 STA
  • Get in an “extra†walk (after dinner, weekend hike, etc) 3x/week minimum. 18 points. A=18+, B=16, C=14, D=12. +1 STA

Goal 2: Mind the Diet

• The first two weeks of the challenge will be back to “induction†mode: <30g (net) carbohydrates per day. No grains, no sugar, no legumes, minimal dairy, minimal fruit and nuts. Veggies and meat, meat and veggies (and eggs). Hubby and I did this back in August. It helped. 14 days. 14 days=A, 13=B, 12=C, 11=D CON
  • I will keep daily calories under 1800.  42 days. 40+=A, 38=B, 36=C, 34=D. +2 WIS +1 CON
  • I will use a food-logging app (MyNetDiary) for everything I put in my mouth this 6 weeks to make sure I meet the other 2 goals. I hate measuring and keeping track of what I eat, but I find that I need to recalibrate my idea of what a serving size is a couple of times a year. It’s been over 6 months since I’ve logged regularly, so it’s time again.  42 days. 40+=A, 38=B, 36=C, 34=D. +2 WIS

Goal 3: Get Sh!t Done.

1. Finish the Coursera class, do the required reading, lectures, tests and quizzes. Class finishes May 6.
  2. Finish the Woot! project and submit it to the AQI (by May 1)
  3. Finish the Plum Blossom Venn project (by May 27)
  4. Clean out shed (by April 28)
  5. Mulch garden paths (by May 5)
  6. Finish prepping garden beds (by May 10)
  7. Finish planting garden (by May 11)
  8. Cut back forsythia/red tip bushes (by May 27)
  9. Contact the retirement plan people from an old employer and make sure I’m still on their books (by May 1)
  10. Plan/execute younger daughter’s birthday party (by May 27)
  11. Plan summer trip (by May 15)
  12. Clear out closet (by May 6)

That’s 12 items. 10+ done=A; 8 done=B, 6=C, 4=D. +3 CHA, +1 WIS, +1 DEX

I probably won't be on the boards much, but I'll try to keep up with some of you anyway and participate in the guild challenges.

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

"Veggies and meat, meat and veggies" -- gah, how can you remember all that?

Good luck with the goals.  Since a lot of the to-do items are physical labor, I see you pushing through the plateau still in time for shorts weather.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

"Veggies and meat, meat and veggies" -- gah, how can you remember all that?

I know, right?! Stupid, complicated diets....

Week 1 Day 2 Check In

Goal 1: Exercise

• Weights: I lifted yesterday and today: 2/24
  • Park in the far lot: Did that today: 1/12
  • Extra walk: Did it today: 1/24

Goal 2: Mindful Diet

• Day 2 of <30 carbs (sigh)
  • Day 2 of 1800 calories
  • Day 2 of logging (Have I mentioned that I hate diet logging?)

Goal 3: Checklist:

I got nothin'. No progress on anything at all. 

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

Goal 3: Checklist:

I got nothin'. No progress on anything at all. 

I don't know if this is helpful:  if you could only do 1-3 things on the list, and had to let the rest go, which would the priorities be?  I'm guessing daughter's party is one.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

I don't know if this is helpful:  if you could only do 1-3 things on the list, and had to let the rest go, which would the priorities be?  I'm guessing daughter's party is one.

Good point. I want them all to be priorities! Got to get the garden in before too much of the growing season goes by. The daughter's party may not be a priority if her grades don't improve (grumble, grumble, I'm such a mean mom, but really!)

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

Back in the beginning of September I would have sworn that I would never log calories. Then I got curious about how much I was actually eating... and now I lost 10kg and dropped 2 sizes in my clothing. Totally worth it. I also am impressed that you are not trying to starve yourself.... 1800 sounds low but pretty reasonable. Those shorts will fit! Think of the shorts when you are logging what you eat. :)

Now get off the computer and go get sh!t done!

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Ah man, hate that for you. Maybe once you've got the lifting calluses, they can work with the garden calluses when you do other hands-on tasks...idk. Good luck on your to-do list!

Well, I've been lifting for several months, so I've got a good start on the weight lifting calluses - the gardening ones are in an entirely different place. At this rate, my hands will resemble hooves :-/

Back in the beginning of September I would have sworn that I would never log calories. Then I got curious about how much I was actually eating... and now I lost 10kg and dropped 2 sizes in my clothing. Totally worth it. I also am impressed that you are not trying to starve yourself.... 1800 sounds low but pretty reasonable. Those shorts will fit! Think of the shorts when you are logging what you eat.  :)

Now get off the computer and go get sh!t done!

No, no starving here. Can't stand not getting enough to eat. If I exercise, 1800 should keep me comfortable but allow some weight loss. I'm waiting for a kid to get out of a class, so this is my allotted NF posting time. I'll get more stuff done later!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

Week 1 Day 7 Check-in:

Goal 1: Exercise.  

• Weights: Completed all 4 work-outs this week: 4/20 points (NOTE: this is a change in overall points - SInce I started the program the week before the challenge did, I'm supposed to take the last week of the challenge as a recovery week)
  • Park in the far lot 2x/week minimum – 3 times this week! 3/12
  • Get in an “extra†walk (after dinner, weekend hike, etc) 3x/week minimum. 4 times this week! 4/18

Goal 2: Mind the Diet

• The first two weeks of the challenge will be back to “induction†mode: <30g (net) carbohydrates per day. Managed that 4 days this week. We got some store-brand cole slaw on Thursday and I was shocked to find that there were over 20g of carbohydrate in my serving (I had already eaten, it, of course :-P). Friday was totally on purpose. Chocolate. Interesting to note that my slaw had just as many calories and carbs as my serving of chocolate. And chocolate-covered strawberries are on the menu this evening. If I have 3, I'll go over by 15g for the day. I've still been <50g carbs, even on my bad days, which isn't bad at all, IMHO. So, I want to tweak this goal. Maybe aim for <30 for 4 days/week on average for the whole challenge? That'd be 24 days total. If I can have chocolate once or twice a week, I won't feel so much like I'm in deprivation mode.
  • I will keep daily calories under 1800.  So far, so good. Even on my bad days it's been more like 1600. And I haven't felt deprived.
  • I will use a food-logging app (MyNetDiary) for everything I put in my mouth. I've been logging. Hating it, but logging.

Goal 3: Get Sh!t Done.

1. Finish the Coursera class, do the required reading, lectures, tests and quizzes. Class finishes May 6.: Progress: I still have Week 4 lectures to do, but at least finished week 3
  2. Finish the Woot! project and submit it to the AQI (by May 1): no progress
  3. Finish the Plum Blossom Venn project (by May 27): some planning done
  4. Clean out shed (by April 28): no progress (I know there are mice in there and I just don't wanna :-( )
  5. Mulch garden paths (by May 5) - no progress - this might get done after planting, which will be OK.
  6. Finish prepping garden beds (by May 10)  DONE! YAY!
  7. Finish planting garden (by May 11): plants on order
  8. Cut back forsythia/red tip bushes (by May 27): no progress
  9. Contact the retirement plan people from an old employer and make sure I’m still on their books (by May 1): no progress
  10. Plan/execute younger daughter’s birthday party (by May 27): no progress
  11. Plan summer trip (by May 15): broad outline done. Nothing specific, except for flights. Lodging, car rental decisions are the next step
  12. Clear out closet (by May 6): no progress

Focus this week: Course, Woot!, Shed, Retirement plan

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

Gardening FTW - i am trying my hand at this this year. i had to get my plants in the ground 2 weeks ago though b/c our spring has already sprung (except it was suddenly 40F again this morning... what?!?!?!)

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Sounds like a great start to the challenge! Keep it up! :)

I am one of those people that strongly believes that life is supposed to be fun. So in my humble opinion some chocolate belongs in a balance happy life! ;)

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Gardening FTW - i am trying my hand at this this year. i had to get my plants in the ground 2 weeks ago though b/c our spring has already sprung (except it was suddenly 40F again this morning... what?!?!?!)

Us, too! and I think I saw a bit of frost in the low spot across the road. Made me glad I haven't put tomatoes out yet.

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

Sounds like a great start to the challenge! Keep it up! :)

I am one of those people that strongly believes that life is supposed to be fun. So in my humble opinion some chocolate belongs in a balance happy life! ;)

Yes! And there are some days I'd rather eat a bit of chocolate than wear shorts. Which is probably why having shorts as the goal is not such a great idea in the winter ;-)

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

Yes! And there are some days I'd rather eat a bit of chocolate than wear shorts. Which is probably why having shorts as the goal is not such a great idea in the winter ;-)

Shorts or Chocolate... there's your next challenge title right there! But of course you wont need it because you'll fit into your shorts after this challenge right? :D

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

I prefer shorts and chocolate ;-)

That of course is the ultimate goal! :D

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines