Wandern

Cloven?

Only some days?

Depends on who you ask ;-)

ooooh boy tell me about it! between sailing and the gym my hands get straight up nasty, especially over the summer :tongue:

Ooh - sailing would give you even more interesting calluses than gardening does.

That of course is the ultimate goal! :D

YES! To wear the skinny shorts and eat chocolate, too - that's livin' the dream!

But first I have to get there:  

Week 2, Day 6 Check-in:

Busy, busy week. Not as much done as I'd hoped:

Goal 1: Exercise.  

• Weights: Nerd Fitness Barbell Battalion Rank 1B Workout. That’s lifting 4 times a week.  

This was not a good lifting week. Monday was great, Tuesday was good, Wed was a rest and I walked a lot, Thursday I couldn't move. Low back was barking at me again - I went to the gym and did the warm-up exercises to see if they'd help, and I couldn't even get into the push-up plank pose. I don't think it's injured, per se, just tired and stiff. Too much too fast, I guess. I've done a bunch of mobility and trigger point work the last few days and am much better. Will try to get under that bar again tomorrow. 6/24 - no longer on track for an A. Sigh.

• Park in the far lot 2x/week minimum  

On the plus side, I did park in the far lot 4 times this week, so I'm ahead there - which is a very good thing since the next several days are supposed to be rainy. 7/12

• Get in an “extra†walk (after dinner, weekend hike, etc) 3x/week minimum. 

Five "extras" this week! Two on Wed (one after work, one after dinner), Thursday, Saturday and today. 9/18

​Goal 2: Mind the Diet

• 4 days a week of low-carb (under 30g carb) - I managed that this week. 8/24
  • I will keep daily calories under 1800.  42 days.  - So far so good. 14/42
  • I will use a food-logging app (MyNetDiary) for everything I put in my mouth this 6 weeks to make sure I meet the other 2 goals.-  Ugh. Still doing it. 14/42

Goal 3: Get Sh!t Done.

1. Finish the Coursera class, do the required reading, lectures, tests and quizzes. Class finishes May 6. I completed week 4 and a chunk of week 5. 
  2. Finish the Woot! project and submit it to the AQI (by May 1) - no progress
  3. Finish the Venn project (by May 27) - no progress
  4. Clean out shed (by April 28) - no progress: I ended up doing an unplanned family get-together instead of cleaning the shed yesterday.
  5. Mulch garden paths (by May 5) - no progress
  6. Finish prepping garden beds (by May 10) 
  7. Finish planting garden (by May 11) - Almost done with this - still waiting on some plants I ordered.
  8. Cut back forsythia/red tip bushes (by May 27) - no progress
  9. Contact the retirement plan people from an old employer and make sure I’m still on their books (by May 1) - Done Apr. 22!
  10. Plan/execute younger daughter’s birthday party (by May 27) - We're negotiating the cake question. Got to start with the important things.
  11. Plan summer trip (by May 15) - This has been taking up most of my free time and attention. We're planning an almost 3 week trip overseas with the kids (Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany), and there's a lot to think about. So far, we've the skeleton of an itinerary planned, and a place to stay for the first 4 nights. I'll count this done when we've lodging for the whole trip.
  12. Clear out closet (by May 6) - Done Apr. 24

Focus this week: Woot! project, Shed, Class, Finish planting garden, vacation planning.

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Week 3 Day 6 Check-in. 

Is it just me or is this challenge just whizzing by? This was not a great week for me. (sigh). I will say that I'm practicing structured procrastination. The Woot project is on the top of my list, yet I'm spending time on everything except that these days...

• Weights: Nerd Fitness Barbell Battalion Rank 1B Workout. 
    I lifted Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Then decided that lifting is not doing me any favors right now. My middle back, left side has not been good since I gave myself blisters from gardening work. I think the blister may not have been the only injury I gave myself that day. It hurts to roll over in bed, it hurts to take a deep breath. It REALLY hurts when I take a fast, sudden deep breath to sneeze. I'm taking myself out of the gym until it gets better. Frustrating. :-( 9/24
  • Park in the far lot 2x/week minimum – Twice this week was all I could manage between the rain and a wonky schedule. 9/12
  • Get in an “extra†walk (after dinner, weekend hike, etc) 3x/week minimum. 4 good walks this week. Yay for spring weather!: 13/18

Goal 2: Mind the Diet

• 4 days a week of <30 carbs. I only managed 2 days this week. The girls decided to make cookies on two different days, for 2 different events. And, as their mother, I had to taste test, now didn't I? ;-) 10/24
  • I will keep daily calories under 1800.  I went over on one day 20/42
  • I will use a food-logging app (MyNetDiary) daily: I didn't log on Friday, and missed a couple of dinners (whine)When you cook, it's really hard to log individual ingredients. And we cook almost every meal(/whine). So, 19/42

1. Finish the Coursera class, do the required reading, lectures, tests and quizzes. Class finishes May 6. Almost done!
  2. Finish the Woot! project and submit it to the AQI (by May 1) - no progress
  3. Finish the  Venn project (by May 27) - no progress
  4. Clean out shed (by April 28) Done May 4 - And that was a nasty job, let me tell you. The mice got in and partied all winter. They won't find it so comfortable now!
  5. Mulch garden paths (by May 5) - no progress. This might have to wait till my back feels better.
  6. Finish prepping garden beds (by May 10) Done!
  7. Finish planting garden (by May 11) Done May 3!
  8. Cut back forsythia/red tip bushes (by May 27)
  9. Contact the retirement plan people from an old employer and make sure I’m still on their books (by May 1)  Done!
  10. Plan/execute younger daughter’s birthday party (by May 27) - planning...
  11. Plan summer trip (by May 15) - One more leg of the trip has been booked, the middle loop is in progress. I'm still spending most of my free time on this.
  12. Clear out closet (by May 6) Done! 

5/12 completed, 3 more in progress. Focus this week: Woot project, cutting back forsythia, trip planning, party invites.

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

I'd say I hate to complain, but I really don't mind it so much. I must be getting old ;-)

Week 4 Day 6 Check-in

Kept myself out of the gym all week. Was starting to feel better, lifted a heavy pot in the garden, and regretted it. 9/24
  • Park in the far lot 2x/week minimum â€“ Four times this week! 13/12 -A+ for sure
  • Get in an “extra†walk (after dinner, weekend hike, etc) 3x/week minimum. 4 good walks this week. Yay for spring weather!: 17/18 - A here, too

• 4 days a week of <30 carbs. 4 days this week 14/24
  • I will keep daily calories under 1800.  I was successful in this, too I think 27/42
  • I will use a food-logging app (MyNetDiary) daily: I didn't log on Friday. Fridays schedule is unpredictable, and I just don't take the time.  25/42

1. Finish the Coursera class, do the required reading, lectures, tests and quizzes. Class finishes May 6. Done!
  2. Finish the Woot! project and submit it to the AQI (by May 1) - I finished the embellishing
  3. Finish the  Venn project (by May 27) - Started
  4. Clean out shed (by April 28) Done May 4 
  5. Mulch garden paths (by May 5) - no progress. This might have to wait till my back feels better.
  8. Cut back forsythia/red tip bushes (by May 27) - My husband did this for me. It's done, so I'm counting it.
  9. Contact the retirement plan people from an old employer and make sure I’m still on their books (by May 1)  Done!
  10. Plan/execute younger daughter’s birthday party (by May 27) - planning...
  11. Plan summer trip (by May 15) Booked the last section today! This should open up some time to get other things done
  12. Clear out closet (by May 6) Done! 

8/12 completed, 3 more in progress. Focus this week: Woot project, Venn project, party invites.

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

Look! I'm wearing the infamous Patagonia shorts!  Still a bit tighter than I would like, but comfy enough for around the house.

med_gallery_10121_326_45141.jpg

And, to review, here they were back in November:

sml_gallery_10121_326_507731.jpg

Slow, slow progress, but progress nonetheless!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

How very awesome, especially the shorts ( I just put on some that I hadn't worn in about 8 months and they were very big) - love the look and I bet you love the feeling

AAND the getting...done

Just look at that list. Amazing......

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Thanks, guys! 

Week 5 Day 6 Check-in

Kept myself out of the gym all week. Slight improvement in the back. I can sneeze, and last week the pain caused by the deep breath before sneezing would overwhelm the sneeze reflex. Starting to think I might need to see someone about this. 9/24
  • Park in the far lot 2x/week minimum â€“ Only twice this week 15/12 -A+ for sure
  • Get in an “extra†walk (after dinner, weekend hike, etc) 3x/week minimum. 3 walks this week. 20/18 - A here, too

This was a really rotten week when it comes to these specific goals. I ignored them entirely. Strawberries are coming in, and it dosen't take too many of those to go over 30 carbs. And we wound up with some nutritious, but higher-carb meals (chard with lentils, jambalaya made with black rice) that I refuse to regret.

When I know I'm not going to meet my goals, I have no incentive to log. I think I was OK calorie-wise, but can't be sure since I didn't log. 

• 4 days a week of <30 carbs. 4 days this week 14/24
  • I will keep daily calories under 1800.  27/42
  • I will use a food-logging app (MyNetDiary) daily: Logging stinks.  25/42

1. Finish the Coursera class, do the required reading, lectures, tests and quizzes. Class finishes May 6. Done!
  2. Finish the Woot! project and submit it to the AQI (by May 1) - no progress this week.
  3. Finish the  Venn project (by May 27) - Progress!
  4. Clean out shed (by April 28) Done May 4 
  5. Mulch garden paths (by May 5) - no progress. This might have to wait till my back feels better.
  8. Cut back forsythia/red tip bushes (by May 27) - My husband did this for me. It's done, so I'm counting it.
  9. Contact the retirement plan people from an old employer and make sure I’m still on their books (by May 1)  Done!
  10. Plan/execute younger daughter’s birthday party (by May 27) - Planned. Will take place this Friday.
  11. Plan summer trip (by May 15) - Booked!
  12. Clear out closet (by May 6) Done! 

8/12 completed, 3 more in progress. Focus this week: Woot project, Venn project, party.

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

How did you go in the final week? Your Get Sh!t Done list is looking much better than mine. :)

How is the back? Still thinking of seeing someone about it? Hope its getting better!

And I can't believe I almost missed the Patagonia shorts pictures. Definitely progress there. Good work. Keep at it and they'll be roomy soon enough. 

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Final Check-In

I did not do well this challenge at least with the goals stated. However - THE SHORTS FIT!!! That's huge, so I've met the overall goal, even if I failed on the short-term ones. Plus, I got most of the things done on my list, and with one exception, made great strides on the projects not completely done.

To sum up: I Failed in getting my work-outs in and in the diet logging. Made a B on getting stuff done. I made A's on my walking goals. Next challenge, I will be a Level 5 Wood Elf Druid with STR 8 | DEX 10 | STA 10 | CON 8 | WIS 11 | CHA 11 . 

Kept myself out of the gym all week. Moderate improvement in the back, but still not where it ought to be. I've an appointment tomorrow to see what's taking this so long to resolve. FInal Score: 9/24 - F no points for me 
  • Park in the far lot 2x/week minimum â€“ Only twice this week. Final Score: 17/12 -A+:  +1STA
  • Get in an “extra†walk (after dinner, weekend hike, etc) 3x/week minimum. Only one extra walk this week. Final Score: 21/18 - A+: +1STA

I ignored these goals again this week. When I know I'm not going to meet my goals, I have no incentive to log. I think I was OK calorie-wise, but can't be sure since I didn't log. This means I totally failed this goal. No experience points for me. None the less, I'm about 3 pounds down from where I was at the beginning, so am not unhappy with the overall progress - plus, the shorts fit. So, I've met the larger goal, even if I failed on the short-term ones.

• 4 days a week of <30 carbs. 4 days this week 14/24 F
  • I will keep daily calories under 1800.  27/42 F 
  • I will use a food-logging app (MyNetDiary) daily: Logging stinks.  25/42 F

• Finish the Coursera class, do the required reading, lectures, tests and quizzes. Class finishes May 6.
  • Finish the Woot! project and submit it to the AQI (by May 1) - This would be done except I'm unhappy with the way the binding turned out, so have to rip it off and redo it. 
  • Finish the  Venn project (by May 27) - Progress, but not complete
  • Clean out shed (by April 28) 
  • Mulch garden paths (by May 5) - no progress. Stupid back.
  • Finish prepping garden beds (by May 10) 
  • Finish planting garden (by May 11) 
  • Cut back forsythia/red tip bushes (by May 27) 
  • Contact the retirement plan people from an old employer and make sure I’m still on their books (by May 1) 
  • Plan/execute younger daughter’s birthday party (by May 27) - Planned, executed and survived. And a good time was had by all. 
  • Plan summer trip (by May 15) -
  • Clear out closet (by May 6) 

9/12 completed. B+ +2CHA, +1WIS, +1DEX

sml_gallery_10121_326_576.jpg  sml_gallery_10121_326_29551.jpg

The Woot Project with wonky binding; and the Venn project, ready for quilting.

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

Ah you must have been typing your report as I was commenting. :)

Well done! I've come to realize that which should be obvious... but is often forgotten. Its not the challenge results that count... but the improvements you see in your life. By that measure you rocked this challenge!!!! Patagonia Shorts Dragon is no more! You'll have to find yourself a new Dragon to battle. Go you!

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Love your quilting projects too... nice work. Specially Woot. :D

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

I can send some of mine over... some of my dragons have been around so long they are more like house pets. Or maybe I should say pests.  :highly_amused:

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Back from the doctor with no real word on exactly what is going on with my back. Thoracic spine is too complicated, and all the possible issues have similar symptoms, and similar treatments. He gave me a cortisone shot and told me to come back in 2 weeks. No weightlifting for that time. I'm going to have to seriously think about the next challenge goals...

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines