Losing Machines

Hello guys!

How's the first week? Hopefully it's been fun!

My first week was great.

• Bodyweight circuit training kicked my butt, but I'll keep on doing it.
  • I've been experimenting with vegetables, and I like it!
  • My Japanese study is going well. I test myself by playing Japanese language video games hahaha

There are many questions though..:

• Cleaning up my diet and doing bodyweight training makes me think that I should eat more protein to maintain my health. But each time I think that I still haven't eaten enough protein, my stomach is already full.. so I have this paranoid thought of being malnourished. Should I use supplements? I've been googling around, but I'm still not that convinced, except for protein shake. But I still don't know which protein type is good for me. Anybody here use (or had experience) with supplements for weight loss? Pros and cons?
  • Before doing bodyweight training, I use exercise ball workout. I kind of miss my ball now since I haven't use it again recently..
  • Between bodyweight workout days, I use Nintendo Wii's Just Dance for interval training. I've been thinking to alter it sometimes with beginner yoga to avoid boredom. Will this affect my fat loss target?
  • Since I love video game dancing very much, I've been thinking on buying Xbox Kinect. Have you guys tried video game dancing?
  • My brother just bought a jump rope and of course I tried it. 3 minutes of jump rope and I feel like dying hahaha...

Well, these are the thoughts that bug me lately.. I'm still doing some research around the internet to find some good answers.

---

MMOWarrior

Farmers Market program at your work sounds fun! But I guess you need to be very creative to cook those unfamiliar veggies haha.. Thanks for the website! I'm trying to find new recipes for my vegetables :D

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7
Intro | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Current Challenge

Hey guys!  It seems everyone on here is doing quite well.  Dates, birthdays ... woot!

Hope everyone is doing ok this week.  I've been completely honest recording my food and watching how much it adds up.  Not doing too bad, but I could do a lot better (always).  Week one is really being used as a learning curve.  Slowly cut down my calories (must drink green tea, not regular sweetened, must drink green tea, not regular sweetened).

Trying to let my fitness not be a factor in my eating habits.  What I mean by that is just because I did a really hard roller derby session that morning, does not mean I can add extra portions that night!  

I actually do the opposite!  That is, I eat my net calories, so on days when I work out I record my exercise and I eat that much more so that my net loss is only a few hundred calories.  I would definately be WAY too hungry if I did it the other way, and I would be judging myself against the lowered calories (eg: "on Tuesday I only had 1500 net, so I should be able to do that all the time...") when it wouldn't be sustainable for my body.  It's something to consider anyway.  I know it makes my loss "slower" but it helps me not freak out about stuff, since I tend to be all or nothing.

Hello, guys. Sorry I haven't been online much, but thanks for letting me in the group and all.

This definetely give me one more reason to keep checking in and updating stuff, if not for me...to maybe help others...and that IS good (Since I have this issue of staying on the challenge the last time).

Anyway, first week.

Got to reach my workout goal with all the Strength Training. And that is about it... :playful:

I haven't been eating more Paleo like I'm supposed to (Except if you count 2 Salads), but I'm definetily eating less! So I supposed it is a good start.

Hey reagen!  Coming online definately helps keep you connected to your goals and the community, so I hope to see you around lots.  We appreciate the advice and encouragement as well!  Good job on your workout goal, and hooray for adding more salads to your eating.  That is a definate step in the right direction :D

Hello guys!

How's the first week? Hopefully it's been fun!

My first week was great.

• Bodyweight circuit training kicked my butt, but I'll keep on doing it.
  • I've been experimenting with vegetables, and I like it!
  • My Japanese study is going well. I test myself by playing Japanese language video games hahaha

There are many questions though..:

• Cleaning up my diet and doing bodyweight training makes me think that I should eat more protein to maintain my health. But each time I think that I still haven't eaten enough protein, my stomach is already full.. so I have this paranoid thought of being malnourished. Should I use supplements? I've been googling around, but I'm still not that convinced, except for protein shake. But I still don't know which protein type is good for me. Anybody here use (or had experience) with supplements for weight loss? Pros and cons?
  • Before doing bodyweight training, I use exercise ball workout. I kind of miss my ball now since I haven't use it again recently..
  • Between bodyweight workout days, I use Nintendo Wii's Just Dance for interval training. I've been thinking to alter it sometimes with beginner yoga to avoid boredom. Will this affect my fat loss target?
  • Since I love video game dancing very much, I've been thinking on buying Xbox Kinect. Have you guys tried video game dancing?
  • My brother just bought a jump rope and of course I tried it. 3 minutes of jump rope and I feel like dying hahaha...

Well, these are the thoughts that bug me lately.. I'm still doing some research around the internet to find some good answers.

---

MMOWarrior

Farmers Market program at your work sounds fun! But I guess you need to be very creative to cook those unfamiliar veggies haha.. Thanks for the website! I'm trying to find new recipes for my vegetables

Sounds like a great week, Xerla!!  Estimates of how much protien you should consume vary widely, but probably in the 100g per day range is what you're looking for, depending on your size/ your lean muscle mass.  A protien shake isn't a bad way to go if you can't get the extra in by eating meat (or other sources like cheeses or greek yogurt if you're not doing paleo).  I always plan my meat first, my veggies second, and any additional carbohydrates last.  That allows me to fit the protien into my food and calorie allotment.  More questions?  Ask away!

If you switch out for yoga, beware, since it will work some of the same muscles as your bodyweight circut, and may increase your recovery time (eg: doing squats one day and warrior pose the next will not leave your legs feeling capeable of squats the day after again, IMO).  That being said, if you enjoy it, give it a try.  The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out.  And don't worry too much about it affecting your fat loss -- more of your fat loss comes from your bodyweight workout than your dancing, and if you get too bored and quit then you'll find your fat loss drops off completely.  Better to find something you're interested in!

I always feel like I'm dying if I jump rope for too long -- I added it in instead of jumping jacks in my bodyweight circuit because I love it, but it is HARD.  Good way to work on my stamina a little bit at a time.

Personally, I had a great first week other than some serious leg cramps.  I don't know if it was the walking outside or the standing on one leg, but something definately make my quads cranky!  Here's to another great week!!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Here's my Week One Update

Week One - 10 pts

1) Fast 1 Day a Week     5 pts
2) Grocery Shopping       5 pts
3) 10min Workout          0 pts

Fasting went really well, I'm surprised how good I feel the day after. It really seems to kickstart my system. Grocery shopping again went well, keeping this up is key!

gah.. Workouts just did not happen.. total failure on this one.. I vow I'm going to do better this week!

although I removed my goal of losing 15lbs, I do want to track my weight for reference on the effect of my goals..

April 15th - 259lbs
April 23rd - 256lbs

Deborah - Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer
STR - 2, DEX - 2, STA - 2, CON - 2, WIS - 4, CHA - 3

I got a sorethroat yesterday. I was scared if I'm going to catch common cold, but thankfully I'm alright now haha~

I've been training inside my room all the time, maybe I'll try to exercise outside my room for a change.

Hiraedd

Yeah fantastic 1st week XD

I've been calculating like crazy for my protein. I think I'm going to give protein shake a go. The problem is, fitness supplement is very expensive in my country, so I'll do the math again to see which one is the most efficient for me.

Yes I saw that yoga aims for "toning" and I think it's similar like muscle training. Probably I'm still doing my video game dancing because I really enjoy it! If perhaps, maybe once in a month, I got bored with video game dancing, I'll try to insert yoga and adjust my bodyweight circuit training.

Exchanging jumping jacks into jump rope is a great idea! It's really hard but very rewarding if I can jump several times without failure haha

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Hey guys, hope everyone is feeling pretty good.  I've been trying to cut down and been doing ok.  Little disheartening that the scale doesn't move or has even gone up a bit.  I know this is because I'm gaining muscle (5 intense training sessions a week).  One big thing is I've given up alcohol (for the most part) because I know it's empty calories.  Anyone else doing this?  Does it make a huge difference?

Human Adventurer

STR-2;DEX-2;STA-2;CON-4;WIS-4;CHA-3

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."

Hey Boudicca

Yup i also have taken breaks from drinking alcohol and every time it makes a BIG difference

I have never quit completely but have stopped for 40 days at a time and went completely veg i lost about 6 lbs(i dunno if that's fat or muscle)

I cant say it will be the same 4u but i do know that excessive alcohol does not promote weight loss.

Hope this helps.

Week 2 also went awesome and as planned

Week 3 - Bigger and Better!

Hey guys and girls!! How are things?

It is Week 3, and I'm getting back on track by working out like crazy on day 1!! Day 2 is tomorrow, and like Aubin says....Bigger AND Better!!

Let's go team!!! And let's kick ass!!

Human Adventurer1

Exp: 13 --- Next:2

--------------------------------

STR 6-DEX 1-CON 5

STA 2-WIS 9 -CHA 5

"Always Win Against Yourself!!"

Current Challenge

And Maybe Help Me Figuring Out The Answer To This Question? Thanks Anyway!

Boudicca

Yeah my scale hardly move with 5 intense training sessions a week and cleaned up diet haha XD 

I only lost 2 kg last April after I started doing more exercises, it's 2 - 3 kg less than last month when I didn't do any exercise. But I figure this is because my muscles are growing.

And congratulations for cutting down the alcohol! :D

I rarely drink alcohol, so I didn't really know the difference though..

Reagen

Week 2 was great! Except for the discouraging weight on scale haha..

But my friends said that I look leaner than before so I don't give much attention to the scale.

Aubin

Bigger and better for week 3... that's awesome! Or maybe for me, it's slimmer and better! Ahahaha XD

---

Week 2

- I saw many surprising improvements on my fitness compared to last week. Plank time is now 30" instead of 20", added more weight for my "dumbbell" from 2 kg into 3 kg, changed my inclined push up into knee push ups, and lunges doesn't feel that hellish anymore. I feel good!

- I've been counting my protein needs, buy some protein shake, and now I can adjust my diet better than last week.

- Some clothes are getting loose.. XD

- I've finished my first Japanese grammar book. Now I'm in the last book! 

Week two was really horrible for me. My granddad was in town and insisted I go out to dinner along with date nights. I didn't take into account during my challenge that I would be going on dates. And I had this happen to me: http://angiesadventuresinwonderland.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/eat-me/

I'm struggling because of it. I really don't want my depression to get the best of me but there have been more days than not, where I have stuffed my face with fries and coke. I've gained 3 pounds in 10 days because of it. Sigh...

Level 7 Hobbit Scout
STR: 9.2 | DEX: 7.2 | CON: 14 | STA: 15.15 | WIS: 16.7 | CHA: 12.7

I've been all over the world. Except Asia, Africa, and South America. - Coach McGuirk
My Bio My Blog Current Challenge

Sorry to hear things have been tough, Wiri, but honestly, my weight easily fluctuates that much in a week, or even in a day.  Don't sweat it.  And don't let it drive you down into depression.  Flucutations fluctuate.  No big deal.  Seriously.

Keep on keeping on.  This is a one day at a time thing.

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Wirilome

So sorry to hear about your Week 2…

Similar thing also happened to me on Week 2. I ranted onn my Challenge thread, about my professor joking about my weight in front of my whole classmates. 

Sure, I joined their laugh, what else can I do anyway.. But I feel die a little deep inside. All the hardwork and diet felt like nothing. But I know I have to appreciate my own progress.

If that guy calling you names, it's his problem. You are great. 300 workout.. I'm still scared of doing it :)

---

How's Week 3 everyone? It's already half journey! XD

Today I woke up a little bit upset and depressed, and today is my BBWW schedule. I was already tired thinking of doing BBWW with such a bad mood, but I have to do it. And then I suddenly got angry and decided to add another 10" on my plank, and I even finally decided to do 4 set of BBWW. Surprisingly, I did it. It makes me feel good and happy afterwards :)

Way to go, Xerla!  You show that BBWW who's boss!  I love the way I feel when I finish my bodyweight circuit -- it makes me feel powerful. 

Week 3 for me was pretty good, although I missed a workout I could have done just because I didn't feel like it....but I did keep up with everything else, even though I was pretty close to overwhelmed by the end of it (I've been super busy, not much down time).

How about everyone else?

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Week three I worked too many 14 hour days. I for one am refusing to do this again. It was hard on my body both mentally and physically  I would get home at midnight and wake up and rush into work. I was often eating at McDonalds and having copious amounts of caffeine. Today I am paying the price as I feel sick. I definitely have messed up in this challenge 2 out of 6 weeks, so far. I might need to re-do this challenge. I however will continue to move forward with it. It has really been a struggle. 

Level 7 Hobbit Scout

I've been all over the world. Except Asia, Africa, and South America. - Coach McGuirk

Hi Every1

Week 3 went awesome and as planned 

Am still a bit busy at work thus the late reply

Does any1 have a counter plan if the getup late and cannot complete a workout - do u add to it in the evening or just don't mess with the 48 hours break?

Xerla

Awesome stuff even i don't feel like starting but once in i just want to complete the circuit better than the last.

Wirilome

I maybe wrong but i feel the most difficult is the start up  for a change/habit. Once you pass that its better. So just push for 10 days of healthy lifestyle and the it will come naturally with less mental effort. All the best :)

Week 4- My new normal lifestyle

Aubin -- I often do my workouts after work.  As long as you have at least a day off in between you should be fine :)

Wiri -- so glad to hear that you're taking it one day at a time, even thoug things are/have been tough.  Keep up the good work!

My week 4 has been crazy busy, and now all my goals are going to mush together at the end of the week to fit them in -- eep!  Also, I'm away AGAIN this weekend (I think I'm only home for 1 weekend out of this whole challenge), which makes things tight.  Anyway, forging ahead.  How about the rest of you?

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Hey, guys and girls!!

Week 4 was Meh for me. But I am planning to make Week 5 and 6 the greatest of them all!!

And btw, does anyone have a workout ideas for my Travels (Backpacking through Cuba and then Central/South America from May)? It must be fast, and simple. Something I can force myself to do everyday, wherever I am!

I'm thinking NF's own Hotel Workouts (The upper levels seems hard!! Yay!!) and then make some stuff along the way...

But, I'm always open for suggestions...

---Edit: And btw, my GYM is closing and moving to a place where it take me an hour to get to...Sigh...Now I REALLY have to find a way to workout without the weights. One that will stick...

Human Adventurer1

STR 6-DEX 1-CON 5

STA 2-WIS 9 -CHA 5

Current Challenge

Hello guys!

Week 4 was good. I was busy with exam but my diet and fitness was fine.

Week 5, so far my diet and fitness was good. But well, as silly as this sounds, I'm currently broken hearted, and it's more painful than any of my DOMS on 1st week. My brain hangs and my heart hurts. Sorry for the drama..

Hey Xerla!  Sorry to hear things are rough.  You're right; heartbreak does hurt more than physical hurts, but it heals the same way: one day at a time.  Hang in there, girl.  There are brighter days ahead.

Reagen:  also look at NF's playground workout, as you should be able to locate some of those....but even the regular BBWW circuit with your backpack as a weight for your rows would work.

And as for the rest of my week 4?  I got sick. Very sick.  Have had to scale back ALL goal activity, and have been coughing out my lungs for the past 5 1/2 days.  Sigh.  I'm really tired of this, and look forward to feeling better again soon.  Until then it's my job to hunker down and heal (if I try to just moderate my exercise the last challenges have taught me that it tends to make me worse, so...).

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Thank you Hiraedd.. Yes broken heart is terrible. Makes me feel helpless, hopeless, worthless and insecure.

Thankfully I still have some fighting left inside me, like doing BBWW early in the morning while feeling extremely miserable with teary eyes hahaha... But I was happy because I feel stronger on push up and for 60" plank. These were the first two things that made me smile this morning.

This challenge has helped me to focus on something else other than my feelings. Rather than self-pitying myself for 30 minutes in bed (which is very likely happened to me these days), I forced myself to wake up and do BBWW as scheduled. I am truly grateful for that.

hello ppl

Hiraedd- dude you have gotta go to the doc and get it checked, it could get worse without medical attention. Get well bro.

Xerla- i think its awesome that you have been able to take your setback and turn it into another opportunity, keep working on we are all with you.

As for me my routine is going normally, and finally i have checked my weight and i am impressed BIG TIME, will update you guys next week with my goals and results.

Thank you every1, without you guys i would never be able to complete the last few weeks.

Hi! What week are we on? I got so busy at work that I stopped doing everything. I also realize that I do really really well in one challenge and then I bomb the next one.

The only goal I have been sticking to reading and finishing my book.

Level 7 Hobbit Scout

Hey, guys and girls....

We are at the last week, and how is everybody?

I was a little bummed about my GYM, but I have found the Hotel Room Workout to be more than I thought it would be...and have decided to stick by it for this last week and next challenge.

I will, also look at the Playground Workout. And will probably try it this week. As I need to get out of the house to do The Hotel Room anyway...never seem to be able to get some work done inside the house!!

Hira, Whatever happened to you? I thought you are the epitome of high-spirits and healthiness?! XD Seriously, what happened? Because it sounds kinda terrible...

Aubin, looking forward to all the great results!! Please stick to it, and have a great week 6 too!!

Wiri, it is never too late to get up and do the work this last week!! At least you'll feel better at the end of the week than if you do not!

Human Adventurer1

STR 6-DEX 1-CON 5

STA 2-WIS 9 -CHA 5

Current Challenge

Hira

Are you feeling better now? Did you go to a doctor?

Aubin

Thanks! I will keep trying my best :) So how's your progress so far?

Wiri

There's still few days left! Just like reagen said, maybe you'll feel better if you continue doing your goals XD

reagen

I'm planning to do Hotel Room Workout too for my next trip! I will test it next week XD

---

My last week is.. full of drama XD

I will not be leveling for this challenge. I thought I had done horrible. But after reviewing everything that I done it turns out the only goal I did not meet was goal #1 of the caffeine addiction.

Level 7 Hobbit Scout

Hello everyone,

Its finally time to share my joy with you guys.This was my first time doing a weight loss challenge and i could not do it with your help.

Thank You all for the support and motivation.

Below are my goals and results.

Goals:

Goal 1 : Weight loss 12 lbs

A-10 lbs

B-8 ibs

D-5 lbs

F-less than 5 lbs

Starting - 210 lbs  Today - 196

Result - A+

Goal 2 : Beginer body Weight workount X 3 times a week

A- 3 times a week x 3 circuts

B- 3 times a week x 2 circuts

C- 3 times a week x 1 curcut

D- 2 times a week x 1 circut

F- Less than 2 times a week x 1 circut

Result - B

Goal 3 : Paleo diet to the best i can (mainly salads and grilled chicken)

A- 2 cheat meal with sugar per week

C- 3 Cheat meal with sugar per week

D- 5 cheat meals with sugar per week

F- More than 5 cheat meals with sugar per week

Result - C

Goal 4 : Save 50$ per week

A- 600$ at the end of challenge

B- 500$ at the end of challenge

C- 400$ at the end of challenge

D- 300$++ at the end of challenge

F- less than 300$ at the end of challenge

Result - A+   

I feel more energetic, almost everyone i meet says i have lost weight, and i am looking forward to the next challenge on June 3.

Once again thank you guys. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines