• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teros

TerosX 6-Week Challenge

Ok, this is my first 6-week challenge and I'm a little bit nervous.  My goals are as follows:

1) Strength train 3 times a week= 3 strength/ 1 const

I plan on using the shovelglove at least three times a week.  I'm waiting to hear from a tire place to get one of the large tires to use in strength training.  If I get one during the challenge I will use that in addition.

2) follow food/menu= 4 wisdom/1const

I want to be about 90% paleo when first starting.  I have these jimmydean sandwiches on a croissant and also homemade mini-quiches.  Also I might have a block of dark chocolate in the evening to scratch the craving itch.  The biggest deal is trying to get more vegetables into every day.  If I can work on eating at least 3 servings of fruits+veg (moreso veg though) then that's 2-3 times more than usual.

3) I want to do cardio at least once a week= 4 dex

It can either be a really long walkwith the dogs or going to the gym and working out.

Life Goal: I've been putting off painting a room for a year because it is a pain and it is something that has ben bothering me since. =2 const.

This looks pretty good to me.  I find it useful to lay out all the steps in my project so I can knock things off here and there.  I've been able to knock out a couple of killer projects during my challenges. 

Yay!  Looks like you have a plan.  I like to get some of my veggies in by making a smoothie.  Spinach or Kale, pineapple or banana, coconut milk.  With some fruit it is sweet enough for me to not crave other sweet things.  Plus, I just plain like smoothies.  I load it with spinach.  I could probably put a couple of cups of spinach in and not care. 

Anyway, another suggestion I have is to see if you have any NationaLease shops in your area.  There are several around my small town, but generally those shops will work on semi's and box trucks.  I am sure they would have a tire they would send home with you that day.  Just ask for the service manager and tell them what you are doing with it.  They have to pay to get rid of them anyway.

And as for the cardio, I am sure your dog will look forward to the long walks!  Mine always does. :)

Do you already have paint for the room you need to paint?

No paint yet, but I want it to be the same color as my living room, which is kind of a bright blue.  When it was drying it looked like a shiney m&m.  If you wanna see the color it's on valspar's website.  color: cosmic blue 4008-10c

I used to make smoothies all the time.  I never bothered putting veges in them though.  do you need any sweetener or does just regular fruit kill the vege taste?

I would suggest trying spinach in your smoothie.  It's pretty mild (I also use kale, but I would suggest spinach first).  The first couple I made, I put a whole ripe banana in, and peanutbutter, and liquid stevia.  That was really sweet.  I have since found that I don't need the peanut butter or the stevia.  The banana and the pineapple have been sweet enough for me.  And as far as the spinach, I didn't really taste it.  I tried just spinach and coconut milk, and that did taste pretty "green" to me, so I added fruit.  My favorite one was a spinach pineapple banana smoothie with coconut milk.  It was sweet, smooth, and totally paleo. 

Really, what I have learned, is that you can just try to throw a combination together that works for your tastes.

I'll keep you in mind as I learn how to sneak more vegetables into my day, and share some tricks of the trade. :pride:

Your goals looks reasonable ;) Have you thought about drinking whey specially if your lifting weights. whey chocolate protein with peanut butter and a banana and ice is so good. you could use the vanilla too.

Spinach is really good for you and you can't even taste it ...

Laureleye, that is awesome!  I noticed that I want more of that stuff since I have been making the switch.

I could seriously eat snap peas every day.  I have some in the refrigerator that I have been saving.

TerosX, 

How's the shovelglove been going?  Any updates?

I used the shovelglove on wednesday, thursday, and friday.  What's interesting is how incredibly weak I am when I first start.  I guess my muscles aren't warmed up.  The longer I do the shovelglove, the easier it is.  At around7 minutes when I switch the exercise, it becomes really easy.

I wanted to test this I so I attempted a regular pushup before the workout.  I fell on my stomach and couldn't even keep myself up.

I did the workout and attempted it again.  Keep in mind that my arms are burning a little and I'm breathing heavy.  I was able to do my first pushup EVER.  It was easier to do.  So I might be on to something.  Now I wanna try doing 1 pushup after shovelglove and maybe each week attempt to do another pushup.  So the next 2 times I'm gonna do a pushup and next week I'll attempt 2 after shovelgloving.

As for diet-related stuff, I've been eating my quiche, trail mix, chicken salad, and paleo dinners (porkchops, sweet potato, chicken, asparagus ect).  I had my cheat meal/day friday since I went out with friends.  Had some general tso's with rice + broccoli.  I felt bloated afterward even though there wasn't that much food.  I think my body is starting to cater and crave eating paleo now.

For example, besides the chinese making me feel gross; I've also noticed that I frigging LOVE dark chocolate and HATE milk chocolate- it's too damn sweet.  I threw out any easter candy that was lying around so there's no temptation.  It's amazing that I'm actually feeling and seeing results since I've exercised+dieted in the past and it never really 'clicked' with my body like this has.

Do you guys just eat plain sugar snap peas or do you dip them in something?  Next food shopping day I'm probably going to get some veges to throw in a smoothie.

UPDATE: did shovelglove on sunday and monday.  Didn't do it today.  Had a minor slip up with some extra dark chocolate pieces (normally allow like 2 pieces, had 5 so it's not a big deal)  Since I didn't work out today I feel weak... As much as 4 times a week seems feasable- i feel crappy if I DON'T do something.  Depending on how I feel after work tomorrow I might shovelglove.

Able to last the full 15 minute setup, so I've decided so do a bunch of 'desk-ups' afterwards.  I stand as far back from my desk as possible and stay on my tiptoes and do a pushup from the corner of my desk. 

I've realized my arm muscles can handle push-ups no problem.  My issue is SERIOUSLY needing to work my abs.  Anything really low-impact as a good way to start?

I tried to plank and lasted literally 1 second and felt stabbing pain in my lower abs.  Not the 'good burn of muscles' kind of pain.  The 'I'm gonna die' kind of pain.

Those planks are a killer

UPDATE: did shovelglove on sunday and monday.  Didn't do it today.  Had a minor slip up with some extra dark chocolate pieces (normally allow like 2 pieces, had 5 so it's not a big deal)  Since I didn't work out today I feel weak... As much as 4 times a week seems feasable- i feel crappy if I DON'T do something.  Depending on how I feel after work tomorrow I might shovelglove.

Able to last the full 15 minute setup, so I've decided so do a bunch of 'desk-ups' afterwards.  I stand as far back from my desk as possible and stay on my tiptoes and do a pushup from the corner of my desk. 

I've realized my arm muscles can handle push-ups no problem.  My issue is SERIOUSLY needing to work my abs.  Anything really low-impact as a good way to start?

I tried to plank and lasted literally 1 second and felt stabbing pain in my lower abs.  Not the 'good burn of muscles' kind of pain.  The 'I'm gonna die' kind of pain.

Those planks are a killer. I am able to do one for a minute then I crash. it took me a whole month to work up to a 1 minute plank  you will get there.

Well what kind of dark chocolate was it?  Do tell!  :)

I'm glad you are recognizing that your body WANTS you to move.

So, did you do a plank on your hands?  Or did you do it from your elbows (with your forearms flat on the ground) to help with stability? 

I tried a plank from my elbows.  Problem is the abs.  I think I just need to lose more overall weight and then there won't be as much weight my abs have to pull up/tighten in.  By then my arms should be jacked because I can easily do 10+ inclined pushups on my desk.  Also, shovelglove is getting easier.  My arms tire, but after a few seconds I want to do more- so I'm having less resting time as I do it.  I have maybe 40 seconds total during the 15 minute workout that I need to break (the 3 seconds or so between switching sets/activities doesn't count).

As for dark chocolate, I've been experimenting.  milk chocolate tastes gross now (which by default makes a TON of foods unappetizing).  I've tried the Lindt dark chocolate, the hershey's special dark, and the cadbury dark chocolate.  They all have different percents. The Hershey's special dark is 45% cocao and is what I've been having the majority of the time.  I just tried the lindt dark chocolate balls and they're pretty good (60%).  I tried the cadbury dark chocolate (72%) and it has a little bit of bitter aftertaste.  I also tried the lindt very very dark at 85%.  That was extremely bitter.  I couldn't even eat a single square.  I think my safe zone is 50-70%.  Any more than that starts to shift from sweet to bitter.  I still want to start eating the higher percents.  I figure if the dark chocolate fixes my sweet tooth without being really really tastey- I won't overeat.  I'll just have a square or two and be fine. 

As for food, I'm doing pretty good. I had my cheat/non paleo breakfast of two cheddar bagels with a large iced chai this morning.  I was full the whole day.  I've noticed carbs tend to just sit in my stomach like a lump now.  After about 7 hours I whipped up a huge dinner.  Two boxes of steak-ums, a bag of stir fry veggies, and a little cheese all fried up in a wok.  Split it with my g/f.  I'm stuffed now.

Oh yeah, I also did shovelglove/+10 'desk-ups' today.

Hmm, let me ponder the plank thing.

With the chocolate, I like to start from the highest percentage and work my way down. I am really picky about chocolate if that's all I'm going to have. Mmm. Chocolate.

Awesome job on your goal work! Shovel glove and pushups. I'm really proud of you! :)

Slow and steady wins the race. I had my cheat meal yesterday.  chinese food with a bunch of teryaki grren beans and broccoli, as well as some lo mein, general tso's and some japanese panko cutlets.  I also have been doing shovelglove consistently. My goal was 4 times a week but I've been doing 5 simply because It's habit now and I feel like crap if i don't do SOMETHING.  I'm also doing 10 'desk-ups' afterwards while my arms are warmed up.  I'm gonna keep track more this week and see if I can steadily increase my desk-ups.  I figure if I can do like...50, then there's NO WAY I can't do a regular one.  Just need consistency.

Also, this week I'm working on the lifegoal.  Painting the hallway!  I have all of the painter's tape up on the ceiling and corners so this morning I'll be throwing 2 coats of primer on and letting it dry the rest of the day.  Got game of thrones season 1 from netflix so I'll be giving that show a chance today.

Yay!  Paint that hallway!

I would like your review of the Game of Thrones.  I have only recently heard about it (apparently I am completely out of the loop)...  but, it sounds like it might be enjoyable. 

At the gym I go to, they offer a class that is E-30 sounds like body weight type workout... although I am not positive.  But it had a little "Game of Thrones" notation after it.  Not really sure if they work out while watching the Game of Thrones or if it is a Game of Thrones theme.  Either way, I am a little intrigued. 

Take care! 

Awesome job! I haven't had Chinese food in a long time. It didn't sound like you were cheating on a meal veggies are good for you.

I have seen season 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones and I really enjoyed the show. Now if I could only have a way of watching season 3 without having hbo hmm? I think you will like it . Let us know.

relax will you paint the halls use that time as meditation  .

Awesome job! I haven't had Chinese food in a long time. It didn't sound like you were cheating on a meal veggies are good for you.

I have seen season 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones and I really enjoyed the show. Now if I could only have a way of watching season 3 without having hbo hmm? I think you will like it . Let us know.

relax will you paint the halls use that time as meditation  .

Okay, so I just made it through episode 4. Seriously... I can't believe I am so far behind! I love it!

TerosX... reviews?

ok, havn't been on in a few days.  I primed the hallway twice and painted it twice.  I've also done most of the first primer coat for the door/doorways.  So I'm like 85-90% done with all the painting stuff.  Didn't do shovelglove on the painting days (idk if I would consider that working out with all the walking around, bending, going upstairs ect).  I did shovelglove yesterday with 11 deskups.  Today in about 2 hours I will be doing shovelglove and 12 deskups.  I'm hoping to increase 1 pushup every time I shovelglove and once I get to 20-25, then I'll try a lower incline- like the ridge of my couch or something.  Then work to 20 again and then do normal pushups. 

As for eating- I used up all my cheat meals at the beginning of the week between not having a kitchen area to cook as well as may1st being my b-day.  Got back on track yesterday- made some teriyaki beef chunks+ green bean and a sweet potato.  Also had a bunch of my homemade wholefoods-ish chicken salad. 

I'll be adding a whol ebag of spinach to this in future batches because it was great.

cook half a pack of bacon (only need 4 slices once it's done)

2 lbs of chicken strips- cook in the bacon fat

Let it cool off and then take some scissors and cut all the bacon and chicken into little bits

dice up a red onion- use about 1/3 of it.

throw a whole container of cherry tomatoes into the mix

add a few scoops of mayo and fold it all in on itself.   Like I said, I wanna add a bag of spinach to this because it was great.

been struggling really bad the past few days.  between an extra cheat meal; a few things not working out right, overdoing it on birthday crap (even thought I always tell everyone NO), I feel like diet-wise I've made a huge misstep.  I'm not like....shoveling cake in my mouth and crying or anything like that; I'm just dissappointed in myself.  I'm doing both parts of this week's minichallenge to get my ass back in gear.    I always have a plan for food, and if even the slightest problem arises, I just give up and get junk food.  Well this happened again and I'm going to have at least 2 'emergency meals' planned that I write down.  That way instead of just saying 'screw it', I'll just have another viable choice. 

I'm also planning on unplugging from the matrix.  I'm just not sure what day.  I was planning tomorrow but I have friends coming over and being xbox-free seems damnnear impossible.  so I was thinking friday of doing another mini-paint project and hitting the gym.

speaking of exercise; I'm a boss at shovelglove now.  I can't believe that when this challenge started- I couldn't do 5 minutes without my arms burning and feeling like jello.  Now, I can do 3 times that, and that is becoming a WARM-UP for me.  I've been doing my desk-ups.  I'm up to 15 with proper form.  I also have included reverse crunches (10).  and I have added inclined crunches (10).  I'm hoping that if I do 1 more of each of these things- once I get to 20+, then I'll incorporate another exercise.  Maybe I'll eventually build up into an hour strength training workout. 

I can't outrun my fork, so I've really gotta get back on track with my food.  I think instead of cheat meals that are dispersed throuout the week; I should have just ONE cheat meal.  Its too easy to get off the bandwagon if I cheat too much.

So, struggling sucks...

But what I read here, is that you had a few missteps, but you have an action plan.  That is great!  

Yay for being a boss at shovelglove! 

What types of easy meals are you going to keep on hand?

So, have you considered looking at it from the viewpoint that you already used up the following weeks cheat meals?  And that for every cheat meal you don't take advantage of, you earn points back?  Maybe this way it puts an emphasis on what you are doing well, rather than what you think you are doing wrong.

I've justbeen looking at random recipes and flyersfor food to see what might be a 'ready anytime' meal.  I just don't want porkchops to not be thawed and to end up getting takeout.  Or like on monday- the grilling disaster to result in a trip to the cookie bar and buffet. 

Looking around; I also need to bulk up my veggies so I was thinking about having a meatless meal.  Like, always have a sack of sweet potatoes on hand, and a few steamfresh veggy bags.  So in a pinch, I can just nuke those together and I'll be ok.  The problem that arises is how filling that would be.  I don't want to have a huge veggy meal planned....then be hungry at like 8pm when I REALLY don't want to cook.