BettyRae boing! boing! boing!

BettyRae

That is what I'm hoping. So glad it has worked out for you! I just know it takes time, so I'm not letting myself get discouraged about it.

I do have a gym membership, but the manager gave me the biggest demotivational speech when I went there last time, so it just makes my brain hurt thinking about stepping foot inside that d-bag's buildings. Some people just drink the wrong kind of fitness Kool-Aid. But I'm planning on going anyway until I'm done paying for it and making friends with the squat rack and also learning more about different kinds of squats. :)

"Oh, come on! Stake through the heart. A little sunlight. It's like falling off a log."  ~Buffy

Current Challenge

Accountability Group:

Once More With Feeling

Ah-hahahaa...zombies =/= good manual dexterity. Also, thanks for the link! I'm going to go look at it right now.

Also, decided to join the Plank Challenge and the Squat Into Summer Challenge on Fitocracy to keep things fresh, but still simple. Totally did not want to go out walking tonight, but then it started raining and I was out the door. I swear, rain on my skylight creates this Pavlovian response to get outside and walk for me. If I lived in the Pacific Northwest, I would be walking constantly! I stretched afterward and am working on my 2 bottles of water now. Saved them until the end of the day like a slacker. But...still getting them in.

So, today - W3D3: Walked 1.8 miles, did a 1 minute plank, and did 50 body weight squats. Good times. I've decided not to run yet because my hip/lower back are still cranky. I imagine that's a longer-term project getting that area of my body to feel good. *shrug* Gotta start somewhere.

I live in the Pacific NW and I'm the opposite with rain.I hate to walk in it. I need to absorb some of your vibes or something, so that I have the same pavlovian response to rain

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Be sure to balance out the squats with glute/hamstrings exercises (especially glutes).  Working the front of your legs and not the back WILL further tweak your lower back.  Try glute bridges, hip thrusts, and Romanian deadlifts.  All can be done with your bodyweight to start and progressed to single-leg and weighted versions.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Be sure to balance out the squats with glute/hamstrings exercises (especially glutes).  Working the front of your legs and not the back WILL further tweak your lower back.  Try glute bridges, hip thrusts, and Romanian deadlifts.  All can be done with your bodyweight to start and progressed to single-leg and weighted versions.

Good point. Thanks for the tip! :D

"Oh, come on! Stake through the heart. A little sunlight. It's like falling off a log."  ~Buffy

Current Challenge

Accountability Group:

Once More With Feeling

I will send rainwalking vibes your way. :)

Many thanks-though right now its sunny which is what makes me want to go for a walk

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

My knees were screaming at me for the squats I did the other night - and I was really trying to follow form - so I didn't do anything yesterday. Thinking I might just break down and do a basic weight routine, including the sled machine for my legs. Then I can more closely moderate what weight my legs are dealing with. I just...I can't believe how out of shape I've gotten. I've never had a solid routine during any part of my life, but I was always strong. I've never been this weak and inflexible before.

Thankfully, from months of hanging out on Nerd Fitness and Fitocracy, my mind frame has adjusted itself and this kind of thing - while frustrating - is not discouraging. It's a little shocking, but it just makes me want to figure out where to start and how to go about it and how to progress instead of giving up, which historically was the default in fitness.

I do actually growl sometimes when I'm frustrated, which I guess takes people off guard sometimes, and if I wasn't around other people right now I would totally do a frustration growl. But that growl feels good too, because it feels strong and on a mission. Which I am. This is the year Dog Dammit! This is the year I get STRONG! RAHHHHHHHRRRRRRRR!!!

Current Challenge

Accountability Group:

Once More With Feeling

Legs hurt as in DOMS (muscle soreness) as opposed to injury?  If so... I'd stick it out, honestly.  Its' gonna suck for a week or two, but you're body will adapt (quite quickly actually).  What's your routine look like?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Ha, ha...Thanks! I just finally played racquetball for an hour and a half tonight with my long lost racquetball partner and it was awesome. :)  I've been doing pretty well in keeping up with my water intake (except for a couple of days when I failed). I haven't been walking. Bored. I have to figure out something that's fun for me. Still trying to figure out what that is. I've kind of bombed the second half of this challenge, but I'm really happy that I got as far as I did and have still been doing a little bit, even if I've gone missing from here. For the rest of this challenge, I'll probably just try to do SOMETHING regularly - whatever feels good on that day. And I'm going to think about what I'd like to do for the next challenge too.

Current Challenge

Accountability Group:

Once More With Feeling

Have you tried "Zombies! Run!" or a similar app for your phone?  A lot of people find them really motivational for running/walking.  I like books on tape too. Helps get the mind off the running/walking part and onto something fun.

Just don't let the "something regularly" goal be too open-ended that you are able to use it as an excuse to not push yourself, and you'll be good!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines