Bricknet - Last minute start, but I still got started

Bricknet

Alright.  Back story.  My lady moved to Los Angeles about 8 months ago and I stopped taking care of myself.  I haven't been in decent shape since college, and I certainly haven't done much (read: "anything") to stay in shape for several years, but for the past 8 months I've been particularly unkind to myself, so I'm kind of starting from less than scratch.  I started running occasionally about 2 weeks ago when my roommate asked me to come with him and it made my lady incredibly happy.  So am I doing this for me or am I doing it for her?  I don't know, but at least I'm doing it.  Let's rock.

Goal #1: Run 7 miles a week.

I'm currently at about 4-5, having started 2 weeks ago.  I figure I'll miss some days just due to weather, being busy, etc., but if I average a mile a day, that's quite the improvement from 0 per day.  I bike to work every day (7 miles round trip) so I also have that under my belt.  I know that if I don't go first thing in the morning, I'll never go, which kind of leads me to goal #2.

Goal #2: Get 8 hours of sleep at least 5 days per week.

I have a day job and I perform and/or rehearse for various theatrical endeavors most evenings, so by the time I actually get home, I usually take a lot of time just to unwind and not be doing something for a little while.  That, unfortunately, means that I stay up basically for the sake of staying up just because I've gotten home so late in the first place.  I know there will be times when I just can't get a full 8, but I average about 6 right now and it sets the tone for the whole day each time that happens.  It makes me miserable and just generally bummed about about where I am in life and where I'm going.  Tired of being tired.  Which leads to #3.

Goal #3: Consume poison no more than 2 days per week.

I'm an improviser/comedian, so rehearsals and shows almost always lead to bars.  I have to accept that socialization is a part of what I do, and I'm really into microbrews, IPA's in particular, and I really enjoy having a great beer with fun friends, so I'm not looking to cut it out completely.  I just need to stop myself from having it the 5-6 days a week a currently do.  Now, I'm not saying I'm drunk 5-6 days a week, but I will have 1-2 drinks pretty frequently and I'll have more than that at least once a week.  Rather than going cold turkey, since trying new IPA's is kind of a hobby of mine, I just want to limit it for now, mostly just to test my self control in the face of constant temptation.  My office even has a "Beer Friday" every week in which I can drink on the job on the office's dime.  No need for me to say yes to that.

Life Goal: Save at least $350.

I started saving money as aggressively as I can about 2 months ago.  I had almost nothing in savings (not counting retirement funds, talking strictly rainy day money here) but I have almost no debt, so I wasn't in rough shape.  I just never had any large amount to my name if I needed it.  I set the long-term goal of saving $5000 in 2 years in a high-yield savings account I opened 2 months ago.  For those of you doing the math, that's $208.33 per month, which I've been good about maintaining by using a very extensive Excel spreadsheet to track every single dollar and by making sure to put away literally any money I save on anything.  Saved $3 at the grocery store with a coupon?  Put $3 into savings.  Biked to work?  Put $4.50 (train fare) into savings.  On top of that, I start each month by putting $100 into savings right off the bat which I kind of consider to be my ante up, basically just to ensure that I'm doing something at a minimum each month.  It has been working very well, better than intended, so I figure I can push it a little harder.  $350 in 6 weeks is a bit more aggressive than I have been, but reasonable enough that I can do it, especially if I stick to Goal #3.

Rock and roll.

Hot!

Might I suggest my favorite cocktail for when I find myself out at a bar after rehearsal and I don't want to drink that night? I call it "the pregnant lady." It's seltzer with lime... and usually comes with a side of a sympathetic bartender looking at you like you're someone's pregnant friend.

eliz, Level 2 Cookie Monster Scout

STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 5 | WIS 4 | CHA 4

Current Challenge: Piles of Miles

I'm a big fan of bubbly water too... And the odd microbrew. I am good at only having a couple so I'm going completely without for the challenge period. If it becomes an issue with the crowd you're with try ordering soft drinks in a short glass so it looks like a mixed drink.

With your 8 hours sleep goal will you stay in bed longer if you don't get to bed in time? How will you change your habits? Any plans?

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

Not a great start, but not a total loss.

To answer your question, WildColonialGirl, My plan was really just to go to bed on time.  Really force myself to just go home instead of staying out later than I have to.  And so far that has worked out pretty well.  My lady is actually in town visiting this week, so my regular habits aren't really in play right now.  To top it off, she is in town for a conference, so she has had to get up early as well, so we have kind of kept each other in check.  Getting a full night's sleep has been a fairly easy goal thus far, but I anticipate that changing when she leaves tomorrow.  We shall see.

Not that it is a valid excuse, her being in town has skewed the data for the first week.  Goal #1 was off and running (get it?) for Monday through Wednesday because I was still working those days, so I would run a mile before heading to work each morning.  She also came with me for my run one time, which was really nice.  I took off Thursday and Friday and in the face of having more free time to go for a run, we ended up bopping around the city spending time together.  So right now, for week 1, I am at 3 miles total.  If I can get in 2 miles a day this weekend, I'm covered.  Should be a good opportunity to push myself beyond the 1 mile marker and see how my endurance fairs.

Goal #3 is not doing so hot.  Since she is in town, my lady and I have been out visiting friends she doesn't get to see often and when we aren't with other people, we are out for nice evenings together.  Again, not a valid excuse, I get it, but extenuating circumstances being what they are, I have had at least 1 drink every night this week.  Specifically, and if memory serves, 1, 4, 1, 2, respective to Mon-Thurs. Not a great start at all.  Apart from considering the extenuating circumstances though, I'm also kind of taking this as a baseline.  I've never really kept track of it before, so it is interesting to see the numbers like that and it gives me a good sense of my starting point.  I anticipate that the numbers will drop significantly next week when I'm not out as much spending time with the lady.

Life goal is off to a good start.  The way I track my savings, I essentially track anything I owe to my savings and, using my fancy spreadsheet, I automatically treat it as spent money, even before I've actually put it away, then dump it once or twice a month as a lump sum into savings.  In order to reset and start from 0 (since I already owed myself a bit) I transferred everything I owed prior to Monday so that I could see how much I saved specifically from the start of this challenge.  Using my standard savings methods, I'm up to $16.50 so far.  Doesn't seem like a ton, but it tends to climb pretty quick, especially considering that I add $4.50 every time I bike to work.  Since I only went to work 3 days this week, that knocks it down a bit.  Also, as I mentioned before, at the start of every month, I automatically add $100 to what I owe savings, so that will give it a big boost in a few weeks.  I'm anticipating a hefty tax return, most of which I will be saving, but I won't be counting that toward this goal, since I would complete the goal in 1 day, which kind of defeats the point for creating savings habits.

Keep on truckin'.

Don't stress about your "valid excuses", stuff happens. Just get back to the plan as quickly as possible. Beating yourself up is not worth it. (I wonder if I give this device to enough people I will start to be able to actually do it myself?)

Current Challenge

Week 2 recap - 

Pretty darn happy with this week.  I may not be so good about posting my progress here, but I've been tracking it very closely on my own and am happy to report that I am just a hair short of my goals for the week.

Goal 1: run 7 miles a week - I ran 6 miles this week, 1 mile every day except Monday.  It doesn't seem to be getting any easier at all, but I'm doing it.

Goal 2: 8 hours of sleep, 5 days a week - Only managed to do this 2 days this week, both of which were weekend days.  The lowest was 6 hours which I did twice, the highest was 10 hours on Friday night.  My average for the week was 7.4 hours per night.  Not quite there yet, but not too far off.

Goal 3: booze no more than 2 days a week.  Very happy to say I hit this goal.  In fact, until tonight, I only drank 3 drinks on Tuesday and nothing else for the rest of the week.  I had a really great audition tonight and went out to celebrate afterward, had 1 delicious IPA, which I treated more as a reward for the week rather than for the audition.  So I hit exactly 2 days and only a grand total of 4 drinks.

I should also note that the director at the audition tonight mentioned almost immediately that it looks like I have been losing weight (we have worked together previously, just prior to starting this challenge).  I'm not sure if I have or not.  I have been weighing myself and there has been a difference but it seems to vary enough that I can't really be sure.  But if I look like I have been, then that ain't nothin'.

Personal goal: save $350 within 6 weeks.  This was probably not the best time to attack this goal only because my tax return made it incredibly easy to reach and exceed this goal, but if we factor that out, then I'm at $98.31.  I'm well on my way.

Sophomore Slump.

Goal 1: Ran only 4 miles.  A step down from last week.

Goal 2: Got 8 hours of sleep only once, averaged about 6.5 hours per night.  Also a step down.

Goal 3: Boozed only twice, so I met this goal, though both nights was more than I should have had, so I'm not sure I followed the spirit of the goal.

Personal Goal: I'm up to $273.12.  Fully confident that this will be accomplished.  I started a new savings technique as of May 1st.  Instead of the amount of money I save by biking, I'm putting away the mileage my bike GPS records each day.  I bike 10.34 miles, I save $10.34.  It is a much more aggressive plan and seems to be working.

Sleep seems to be the toughest goal, which is surprising.  I was sure running would be the hardest to motivate myself to do.  Been working early a lot lately but my evening activities don't end any earlier.  I have been good about going to bed right when I get home though, rather than staying up lollygagging in my room.

Learning from the things that don't work is just as important as seeing what does. Being a teacher I may well be biased, but I think the learning and insight you get out of the challenge is far more important than actually making all the goals, especially the first time round. All the best for week 4.

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines