Hey Rebels,

My name is Manar and I live in Chi-town( or as many of you possibly know as Chicago). I am now a 26 year old, 225 lbs man but here is the catch: one year ago, I weighed 325 lbs!! I set myself a big goal by wanting to lose 100lbs in the first year. I thought it was impossible at first, but I kept having faith and believing in myself, and now I did it all on my own. I always wanted to be healthier and stronger and finally I decided at 25 years old that I have reached rock bottom and I wanted to change my life to the better. I figured since everything else in my life is messed up and not going as planned, why not take control of the one thing I can actually take control of and start working out to look better? It took a while before I saw any results, but I expected that after I did a bunch of researches online. I did not let that kill my motivation. I kept setting up small goals for myself and developed the determination to achieve those goals. I never want to go back to where I was and I think being a rebel will help me stay motivated and more determined than ever to reach my next goals and stay there. I want to be about 175 lbs or so with 10% body fat by next year. That's my next big goal but I broke it down to smaller monthly goals. I realize I need to start working harder to get to my next goal, which is why i was searching the web and finally found this awesome site to help me get there. I did it the first year alone and it was very difficult, but at least I don't have to do it all alone anymore  :redface-new:

post-15398-0-49311500-1366015517_thumb.j

In order to achieve something, you gotta start doing, not just wishing.  :nevreness:

Welcome to the rebellion you shy weirdo you.  My story isn't far different from yours...  just add another five years.  Wish I was smart enough to start at 25 instead of 30.  So hey, you've got me beat there.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

Welcome to the rebellion you shy weirdo you.  My story isn't far different from yours...  just add another five years.  Wish I was smart enough to start at 25 instead of 30.  So hey, you've got me beat there.

LOL thanks. It's never too late to start feeling better :)

In order to achieve something, you gotta start doing, not just wishing.  :nevreness:

I've said this before to someone else, but it rings really true. Being a shy weirdo myself, with a colorful childhood, there wasn't much I could control in life.

Now as a 26 year old, I'm starting to realize the things I CAN control, particularly without being insanely extroverted.. one thing being my fitness (though I'm finding the more and more in shape I become, the more inherantly extroverted I become).

So own that thing you can control. Know it's yours to shape.

Not that you don't... ya know... realize that already. I guess I was just singing the chorus of your song again, cuz I like it :)

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

Hey Rebels,

My name is Manar and I live in Chi-town( or as many of you possibly know as Chicago). I am now a 26 year old, 225 lbs man but here is the catch: one year ago, I weighed 325 lbs!! I set myself a big goal by wanting to lose 100lbs in the first year. I thought it was impossible at first, but I kept having faith and believing in myself, and now I did it all on my own. I always wanted to be healthier and stronger and finally I decided at 25 years old that I have reached rock bottom and I wanted to change my life to the better. I figured since everything else in my life is messed up and not going as planned, why not take control of the one thing I can actually take control of and start working out to look better? It took a while before I saw any results, but I expected that after I did a bunch of researches online. I did not let that kill my motivation. I kept setting up small goals for myself and developed the determination to achieve those goals. I never want to go back to where I was and I think being a rebel will help me stay motivated and more determined than ever to reach my next goals and stay there. I want to be about 175 lbs or so with 10% body fat by next year. That's my next big goal but I broke it down to smaller monthly goals. I realize I need to start working harder to get to my next goal, which is why i was searching the web and finally found this awesome site to help me get there. I did it the first year alone and it was very difficult, but at least I don't have to do it all alone anymore  :redface-new:

Dude, that is SUPER inspirational! It's great that you managed to lose so much all on your own! One thing I've definitely learned from Nerd Fitness is that you gotta take matters into your own hands and not rely on other people to do any of the work. You are proof of that effort and I wanna say good on ya mate!

The community here will totally have your back on the second leg of your journey to 175lbs! Welcome to NF!

I've said this before to someone else, but it rings really true. Being a shy weirdo myself, with a colorful childhood, there wasn't much I could control in life.

Now as a 26 year old, I'm starting to realize the things I CAN control, particularly without being insanely extroverted.. one thing being my fitness (though I'm finding the more and more in shape I become, the more inherantly extroverted I become).

So own that thing you can control. Know it's yours to shape.

Not that you don't... ya know... realize that already. I guess I was just singing the chorus of your song again, cuz I like it :)

Hey Gilfren! As someone who is a self proclaimed shy nerdy weirdo, I've had a similar revelation regarding fitness and extroversion. Over the past year I've become more fit, as opposed to the many years of being just on the wrong side of being in shape. However, as I've become more comfortable and proud of my physical form I've found that it's far easier to be extroverted which has surprised and pleased me greatly!

So yeah, you're right; focus on what you can control in your life and don't sweat the things you can't, and you're off to the races!

Cheers!

Human Adventurer

Level 1

STR: 3

DEX: 3

STA: 2

CON: 2

WIS: 3

CHA: 2

"What upsets people is not things themselves but their judgements about the things" - Epictetus

Welcome - your story is really inspirational and I look forward to hearing about your journey as you work toward your new goal!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

I just joined too! Your journey so far is very impressive and motivational. I look forward to seeing the rest of it. 

"How does one become a butterfly? You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

-Chouji Akimichi 

33.33%
33.33%

BBWW: 6 of 18

37.5%
37.5%

Yoga: 9 of 24

46.15%
46.15%

Brown bag lunch: 12 of 26

Current

What a great motivation your are!!! I came to the same epiphany (love that word) only I'm 45.  I have a lot of undoing to do for my 5 Year Plan but all my goals I can control, and some will just happen as I reach others.  I bet that by the time you reach 175 lbs you won't be so shy anymore.

Keep it up, I can't wait to see how you do over the next year.