• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

milythael

Milythael - The Healthy Habits Hobble

Yeah...what they said! ;) Just believe in yourself, because we all do!

I agree about the attendance goal being the most important too. You are phenomenal and I'm pretty jealous that you are such a great swimmer and can have a pool to swim in to boot!

You really are doing amazing, I promise it's the truth.

moving is the proverbial female dog (to use a zombie-ism on ya) and it is a pain in the tuckas...

Jenn, 

I can totally picture him saying this.  It brings a much needed smile to my face.  :)

Mily,

Your attendance goal is simply amazing.  I am proud of you.  You are at 5 for 5, and you have a weekend coming up!  Which means that you can cram in a lot of pool time, because that view you've got there is amazing.  I am pretty sure that if I had the weather (it's supposed to snow here) you do, and a pool like that, I would look like a prune every Saturday. 

Take care! We are all here to support you.   :peaceful:            

Week 2 Day 1

1. Daily Handbalancing 0/8 (36)

2. Daily Pool 7/8 (42)

3. GMM 0-0-0/2-2-2 (6-6-6)

4. Attendance 6/6 (30)

Rudimentary cooking can happen in the kitchen. The spice situation is unacceptable. The food storage and transportation situation is even worse. Until I can prepare flavorful food at home and bring it in to the office, I'm going to fall prey to the easily accessible garbage in the close to thirty vending machines, cafeterias, and ten or more coffee stations in my building. Ready to eat, trivial to obtain poison is everywhere. I really don't know if there is anything I consider food for sale within a quarter mile of me. :(

I have an amazing Asian market a mile from home. I lucked into that one. I'm pretty sure rice noodles aren't paleo, but the pho at Un-pho-getable is awesome. I could see eating there a few times a week. The Lebanese place where I change buses is pretty awesome too, but again, not so paleo. Even worse is the fact that I skip the places I think I'll love because they aren't paleo, but then end up ordering crap pizza because I can't or don't feel like cooking at home. Cross lazy with stubborn and you get fat Mily who hates what he is eating.

*big hug* Sorry I haven't really been around....

You can do it!!! I'm REALLY EXTREMELY PROUD that you're cooking!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!

So keep it up and change will happen, even if it's gradual it will happen and that's awesome!!!

You're cooking and you're practising and you're trying and that's what's most important!

I'm sorry to hear the food situation at work is that bad, but again, I know you'll figure something out because you always do.

And super duper well done on your attendance and swimming! That's fantastic Mily!

*enormous hugs*

Week 2 Day 2

1. Daily Handbalancing 0/9 (36)

2. Daily Pool 7/9 (42)

4. Attendance 7/7 (30)

Doing great!! I'm defnitely jealous of that pool time :) I gotta get back in the pool soon! They put a pool in my apartment complex over the winter. Hopefully they will open it soon. *fingers crossed*

And great job with the attendance! Really and truly :) I know from personal experience how hard it is to push yourself to go out and work when battling depression. And you are doing so wonderful *hugs hugs hugs hugs*

MILY YOU'RE ROCKING THAT ATTENDANCE!!!! KEEP IT UP!!! :)

Also again, sorry for failing all my social duties! I'm having some issues going with social and sleep.

BUT you can always send me a twitter message if you need me <3

Week 2 Day 2

1. Daily Handbalancing 0/9 (36)

2. Daily Pool 7/9 (42)

4. Attendance 7/7 (30)

I am so proud of you for everything you are doing. Your getting your stuff done motivates me immensely and I really admire your strength in facing every obstacle and getting through them. You are a true hero Mily. Never stop fighting because you WILL win the war ***big energizing hugs***

You guys are all too kind. Thank you for your support.

I'm struggling a lot. What little I do get done rarely seems like enough, but I'm not always down. This morning before work, I just wanted to play. I did supports on a couple of bike racks, and on the back of a bench. I climbed around on the structure at the bus stop. I did some leg assisted dips. Above all, I moved. A bit of dance, a lot of simple play. I wish I were more comfortable in front of people, but I worked up quite a sweat, even before my first bus arrived.

The rest of the day has not been so good. My insides want very much to be my outsides. I'm mainlining coffee to stay awake through training that has been used to anesthetize elephants and whales. I survived the socially imposed exposure to free donuts and juice without partaking, but fell prey to vending machine poisons. Skipping lunch because of a four hour conference call from 10 am to 2 pm.

If I can muster the energy, I'm hoping to buy groceries tonight. Since I've basically eaten all the food in my apartment, this is a critical activity. I'm especially hoping to grab something to put in the crock pot over night. Oh, yeah, my crock pot arrived last night, along with quite a few much needed kitchen supplies.

I'm probably going to stop reporting on my first two goals. Exercise has been sidelined by the challenges of day to day living.

And that's okay. Living/surviving trumps doing ALL the things. I think what's most important right now is that you make your home more homey and more comfortable to be/live/cook in. Go to the store and get those spices! I realize this is no trivial matter, but you CAN find a way to get it done!

I love that you're moving despite the lack of a structured workout routine. That's good. I like it!

And the attendance is super important too, so ace on you for keeping on! I know you can do this. Sometimes you just have to take it an hour or a minute at a time. I'm so proud of you. Hugs and squishes and all that.

Just as MirGSS said, it is completely fine for you to focus on living and getting your new home and life in order. This is what's most important. You need not to have to worry about the simple but essential things before you can move on to the more complex and less essential ones. Making your house a home, getting comfortable in your new life/city, figuring out about your new job, workplace and routine, all these things are of top priority. These are the things that need to be sorted and established before you can free brain space for the rest.

That being said, don't forget to have fun, just like you did this morning! If fun comes with exercise, that's great but just play and be yourself, the world is a much better place when you are. *hugs*

I'm proud of you for not going for the donuts and juice. And shit (vending machines in this case) happens. Don't beat yourself up. Just acknowledge the fact that it did and move on.

How is work going anyway? How much longer is the stupid HR training going to last?

You are amazing Mily, however much you struggle, however hard life can be, you always amaze me. I am in awe of your strength and beauty. You truly make the place a better and more beautiful place.

I second everything MirGSS and Chris said!! You're amazing and you need to take life as slow as you need to!

Just keep attending work and you're already doing AMAZING!!!

You can always hit me up on Kik and we can talk (unless I'm asleep of course).

Just focus on getting your life flowing "normally" again, instead of trying to do everything right, right away.

You can do this Mily!! If I can ride a bike through pain for 1 hour, you can make it through another day!!

You guys are all too kind. Thank you for your support.

I'm struggling a lot. What little I do get done rarely seems like enough, but I'm not always down. This morning before work, I just wanted to play. I did supports on a couple of bike racks, and on the back of a bench. I climbed around on the structure at the bus stop. I did some leg assisted dips. Above all, I moved. A bit of dance, a lot of simple play. I wish I were more comfortable in front of people, but I worked up quite a sweat, even before my first bus arrived.

Exercise has been sidelined by the challenges of day to day living.

ok... this is good! moving is good... exercise is supposed to be fun...

don't worry about the other stuff... get settled... get training done... no one can live while anesthetized by training ...

you will get back on track :)

Week 2 Day 3.5

1. Daily Handbalancing 1/11 (36)

2. Daily Pool 8/10 (42)

4. Attendance 9/9 (30)

OMG, yesterday, while I was in the playful mood, I noticed there was a spot that looked great for practicing handstands where I wait between buses. Today, I checked it out and it is even better than I could have imagined. Flat, level, smooth concrete ground. A solid brick wall for support. Out of the way of any foot traffic, especially before 6 am. A line in the concrete about 16 inches from the wall running parallel to the wall, which makes a great visual queue for hand placement and plenty of space. The only negative is stepping across the soggy ditch to get to it.

Today, I practiced pulling my feet off the wall one at a time after getting set against the wall. I felt very weak. My endurance is down, but considering my last month, that is no surprise. My kick ups were overpowered. When I've been practicing a lot, sometimes I never quite make it to the wall because I stop in a stable position first. Today, every kick up felt like I slammed my legs into the wall. I'm not sure if that is a calibration problem, out perhaps because my arms and shoulders are low in strength giving me less control.

I also did a couple more supports on the bike racks at the first bus stop, and sat in some rather unconventional positions while I waited. :D

The pool number is from yesterday. I'll have to update it later since I can't go to the pool in the morning. The attendance number is today, but slightly predictive. I'm on the bus. If I don't make it now, I should probably cut myself some slack.

Look at you go!  I am so glad you found a place to do handstands. :)

I also did a couple more supports on the bike racks at the first bus stop, and sat in some rather unconventional positions while I waited. :D

It is nice to see you with a big grin. 

Take care friend!  You are awesome, don't forget it. 

::squishyhugs::

:D ^5 on finding a good handstand spot and getting that one going!!! Remind me to get your help when I finally start working on them! I'm never going to do a split leg handstand without a regular one first. lol. I would think the leg control issue is because of low shoulder strength too, and you are having to overcompensate.

If you dont actually make it to work after getting more than halfway, well...yikes!

You are so rocking this challenge, seriously! :D :D :D

***super special hugs***

Week 2 Day 4

1. Daily Handbalancing 1/11 (36)

2. Daily Pool 9/11 (42)

4. Attendance 9/9 (30)

Updated the pool numbers to reflect this evening.

I really don't know how to get anything done in the evening. I'm so completely obliterated by the time I get home. And I've been reminded today that I haven't done anything on Rising Heroes since the day I got my job offer. I feel like I'm failing on every front, but you guys keep saying you are impressed. I really don't understand.

This evening, I got two packages. I did laundry. I ate cold leftover pasta from Pizza Hut. One of my packages has salt and pepper, so I can hopefully fix the blandness problem in my crock pot pork I made last night.

It is a little after 7 pm, and I'm barely conscious. If I go to sleep now, I'll be up at midnight, and tomorrow will be an even longer day. :( My apartment is piled in empty boxes. My crock pot came in not one, not two, but three boxes. I have move in boxitis. :(

I'm trying to stay awake long enough to find out if I have a meeting tonight, but I think I give up. I'm going to try this Sleepy Time Extra tea (boil water in wok, steep tea in bowl, why don't I have a cup or mug yet?) with a shot or two of bourbon or rum? and pass out.

Time for a little perspective check here. Do you know how long it takes the average person to completely move into a new apartment, when it is planned months in advance and they are fully aware of every detail long before the day they leave? I can guarantee you NO ONE is fully adjusted to their new place in two weeks. Not one person. Then you add in a new job, a new city, a new way of travel, new stores, new foods, new everything and you are essentially alone without a "real world' support system...and you honestly expect MORE from yourself? 

You ask why we are impressed, what would you say to me, for instance, if I was doing what you are? Would you say I was a total failure? No. Would you say I need to do more? No. You would say "you are doing the best you can and it's really hard and I am proud of you" (or something similar) so damnit, say that to yourself too! 

YOU ARE DOING GREAT, maybe not as good as you want to be, but you are eating, you are going to work, you are doing the basics. No one moves into a new place and is cooking gourmet meals the first day or week, or even month, but you, you go out and get special Asian vegetables and order a crock pot and make a god damn pot roast the day you get the thing, and then say  you failed because its not salty enough, when you didnt even have any salt! I have been where Im at for three weeks, and I have cooked a total of FOUR times....because its overwhelming to be in a new place with new people and new things and try to keep my same routine. 

I'm saying every single word of this with love, and Im not angry at you, or even upset, but it breaks my heart to see you beating yourself up for what amounts to a great deal of success in the eyes of every other person you know , and you dont even see it <3 

YOU ARE AMAZING! 

Mily, sometimes I feel you're actually my clone :D I'm pretty sure I could quote you in some of my thread and it would be right on spot in yours. Anyway, I promised to write you a how-to. So here it is!

Nuala's bento tips.

The key words:

Eating healthy at work is possible, you just need to be:

- organised

- optimized

- did I say organised?

The material

The bento box aka the lunch box. 1L for a man and 800ML for a woman are, in my opinion, plenty enough. No screaming "BUT that's so smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal, I'll be staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarving" Because you won't. 1L for a lunch box is huge, if you know how to optimize.

Remember this?

plate

And the exact same meal in a 850ml bento box.

bento

If you can put a whole plate + a bowl and have extra room for a dessert in a 850ml box, imagine all the room left in a 1L! Huge I say! So, you won't be starving and also, you won't overstuff yourself, isn't it good :tongue: And I'm generous actually, my own bento is 650ml, the 850ml one is my BF, and he never complained about starving.

Also, these silicon moulds are really really useful. Either to backe some small cake, or to separate some ingredients:
18284797.jpg

The shopping

Ok, you have your box, now let's get the kitchen ready. Make sure you have your basics in stock at all time. My basics are:

- Onions and garlic

- Tomato paste 

- Coconut milk

- Mustard 

- Spices (cinnamon, ginger, paprika, Anise....)

- Salt, pepper

- Olive oil and vinegar

Veggies:

But there's enough food for the week!

Whatever you can find. Carrots, parsnips, turnips, leeks, celeriac... All veggies are bento friendly as long as they are prepared right. Just remember, you should eat the leafy/green veggies first as they don't like spending too much time in the fridge. But avoid any veggies (or fruits) that give up too much water or it will soak all your food. Prefer cherry tomato to tomato quarters, make sure your cucumber have been salted and dried before use.

Proteine source:

- Meat, fish, eggs... Whatever, just one thing: make sure your meat and eggs are well cooked! Especially if you don't have a fridge at work. Carpaccio, tartare or raw fish have no room in a bento.

- Cottage cheese, cheese.

Fruits

I always have a good stock of apple and bananas, also pears. It last easily through the week and make some quick bento-friendly desserts

Optimize

Mashed parsnips
Carrot and parsley flan
Ham
Endive and conté salad
Pickled radis and beetroot flower
Sweet potato with cinnamon

1L is a lot, as long as you know how to prepare the ingredients so that they won't take too much room! So, cut everything in small pieces. Also, you can put more of veggies when they are mashed. So, cut, cut, cut. Pink radishes takes less room when cut in slices, fight all the empty places, compress what can be compressed and you'll have a perfectly filled bento.

On the opposite, if you want to have some portion control, then you can keep your veggies cut in chunks. It's up to you :)

Don't make it complicated

No seriously. Forget the recipes with 15 different ingredients. We're talking about every day food here, we want it to be good, healthy and cheap. Keep it simple. Most of my recipes have 3 or 4 ingredients at most and none of them are bought especially for one recipe. Do with what you have, not with what people says you should have. One of my favourite "elaborate dish" is actually a no brainer: the vegetable loaf.

Take some already cooked veggies cut in pieces (carrots or leeks for exemple)

Add stuff:

Carrots + parsley + onion + feta cheese or Leeks + ham + blue cheese

Add 3 whole eggs

Salt/ pepper

Bake in a loaf mould for 40-50 minutes 180°C

Eat.

See, no-brainer. And you're free to add almost everything. Pepper bell, cooked chicken, any kind of cheese, tomato sauce... Or even nothing! Just carrots, spices and eggs works too! You just have to cut it in slices and add it to your bento:

Ex:
3 slices of Carrots + parsley + feta cheese loaf
Mashed sweet potatoes
Ham
Endive + goat cheese salad
Pickled winter radishes + beetroot
Banana + kiwi

Be lazy

In my bento, I usually don't put more than one elaborate dish. The rest is only stuff taken from the fridge and put in there. Be lazy and prepare stuff in advance. You don't want to have to do a lot of cooking everyday, so prepare and cook as much as possible. And when I say cook, it's plain cook. For example, I peel and cut my parsnips and then cook them in my pressure cooker. No salt, nothing. I just want them to be ready as a base. Same for the leeks, carrots or beetroot.  

Make sure you know how long prepared veggies will last before having a loss of quality. Leaf veggies should be eaten quickly, cooked sweet potato don't last long, I usually cook it just the day before. With that done, you'll just have to do a little transformation to have a tasty dish. 

Ex: cooked parsnips

-> Mashed parsnips (add cream or coconut milk to add some calories)

-> Parsnips + ham + coconut milk 

-> Parsnips + salt + pepper + herbs or spices

If you can cook several things in the same time, do it! I used to cook celeriac + turnips + beetroot at the same time in my oven, all wrapped in aluminium foil so it could go directly into the fridge after cooling down. 

Be more lazy!

Make sure you have some last-long stuff in your fridge. Green or black olives, pickled radishes, boiled eggs, stuff you won't need to prepare, just take and put directly in your lunchbox. 

Pickled radish recipe (works with winter radishes or watermelon radishes or maybe daikon?):

A jar or a storage box you can close

Enough radishes to fill the jar
3/4 jar of white vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar 
Salt 
2-3 garlic clove, peeled

Herbs: dill or rosemary or thyme

Pepper seeds

Put the vinegar to a boil with the sugar, pepper, salt and garlic. Meanwhile cut the radishes in two then in slices as thin as possible. Paper-thin if your knife is good enough! Fill the jar with radish slices, with some herbs in the middle. Then cover with the vinegar, close the lid and wait for it to cool down. You can keep the radishes easily 2 weeks (maybe more, never got them to last that long, they are eaten way before)

A little bit of everything

I usually try to have 7 or 8 different ingredients in my bento. Of course you could fill your box with only one dish, but it would be boring. If you have been lazy, your fridge must be filled of ready to use stuff! 

Ex with yesterday's bento

IMG 20130425 105816

Elaborate dish: Swiss chard gratin with feta cheese
Side dish:
  • Leeks green + turkey
  • Sweet potato
Salad: Endives + pink radishes and Pickled winter radish + black olive
Dessert: Banana slices and unsweetened cacao powder

Swiss chards, leeks and sweet potatoes were cooked the day before. Swiss chard were actually some leftover of the breakfast. The endives are fast to prepare, the pink radish were already cleaned and ready to eat, the pickled radishes were made earlier this week. So all I had to do was to cut the radishes, endives, the banana,  put everything in the box, and season with the cacao powder. If you are organised it won't take you more than 10 minutes in the morning. 

Don't be hated by your tomorrow self

Do it now, never say "I'll do it tomorrow morning" Your box have to be clean in the evening so it will be ready to use in the morning. If you can start filling it in the evening, do it! I often only have the fruits to prepare/add in the morning. Take a moment in the evening to make sure you have enough in stock and that there are no ingredients waiting to be prepared. And just do it now :)

I second what nuala said...

You've seen my pics on fb of my food... on the day before I work u cook for the week... for the whole family... so this week we had steak/veggie foil packets... chicken breasts (on two days) and a pork roast... then as I'm putting everything away I break it into single servings (the steak veggie packets are awesome because they are already single serve) and then each day add I'm getting ready for work it takes me literally two minutes to gather my lunch... if I want oranges I peel them that day... or other fresh fruit I usually peel it that day...

It's all about getting organized...

And also... I know people who take more than a YEAR to plan a move and implement it... I know other people who are still living in boxes five years after moving...

You are too darn hard on yourself and I think that's part of your problem with depression... just because you FEEL like a failure doesn't make you a failure... your feelings are fickle transient things not to be trusted... I know you aren't where you were wherever that is... so press tare on your scale and reset your zero... the past is the past... have rafiki bonk you on the noggin if you need to... try to be better tomorrow than you are today in one aspect... do not try to be where you were at your fittest that's in the past...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2