V Diet- Ya'lls gonna hate me

So at the risk of being booed off the Nerd Fitness Forums I think I'm abandoning the Paleo Diet for 6 weeks and switching to the V-Diet. I'm plateauing and need to shake things up a bit plus I'm so close to a 6 pack as I have like a 3 and half pack right now. I know most of you don't like diets like this, but I have read a ton about it and not just on the T-nation sites and boards, there is research on other websites, and also talked to 2 people that did it. One of which does it once a year and the results are amazing. Plus its right up my alley cuz I sure loves me some protien shake. Anyway, I'm not starting it immediately because it will take a while for the supplies to arrive and I may even have to wait until I redeploy cuz they may not ship to Iraq. Other sites say you can build your own supplements to use for the diet and my normal protein is Optimum Nutrition Hydrowhey but I don't want a reason for it not working effectively. Either way in the next 2-3 months I will make it my 28 day challenge since the diet is 28 days and then a 14 day reintegration period. Once its done I'm coming back to the Paleo diet and I'm sure it will be a welcome old friend. Anyway, feel free to send your hate mail/ support to this thread ;)

Here is the site for the info on it. If you think its something you may like make sure you click the sub tabs as well as the regular tabs.

http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30

Oh yeah I'm going to follow the workout too.

You and I seem to have vastly different ideas to what paleo/primal blueprint/paleo 2.0 is, so if you want to do a liquid diet, feel free. It's your decision.

I'm not going to encourage it though. I think it's contrary to what a lifestyle is supposed to be, and I doubt that this is going to do anything good for your body.

I find it weird that you talk shit about the HCG diet and then are just willing to do something that in my mind, is as stupid with a liquid protein based diet (at least, that's what it appears to be).

Why not eat real food and mix it up a bit? Suck it up and and do ketosis for a week or two (80-90% fat with 10-20% protein)? Or perhaps leangains and the 8/16 eating/fasting window.

If you're that desperate for abs, another thought could be that the calorie restriction you have now is stalling your progress. Why not go calorie counting free for a couple weeks, eat till fullness and then see where you're at?

V-Diet is legit. Wicked, wicked hard. But astonishingly good results. Many respected names in exercise science have given it huge thumbs up, and within my own circle of pretty fit dudes, I've seen excellent results in the few that were able to see it though.

Are you going to be using the Biotest products? (edit: oops, just read more carefully, and see that you are)

Also, the Waterbury program designed to go with it is excellent. I've used that lifting scheme even not on the diet, and saw pretty good results.

Good luck! You'll need it! ;) But seriously, hope it works for you!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Well, never said I wouldn't defend myself from the hate mail...so lets get some facts straight first the HCG diet is 500 cals....the V Diet is 1800-2100 cals. I don't want to lose my muscle gains like most diets cause, like the HCG diet. Also, the V-diet still requires a pretty significant workout where as HCG is sit on your ass and stick yourself with a needle. The Paleo and V-Diet are both Ketosis diets in they are low carb meaning your body turns to fat and protien for energy its just V-Diet is an extreme form of strictness and adherance to the rules. But if you overload on fat your body will just continue to use the fat you are eating rather then the fat around your midsection for energy. It is easier to get at and your body does not like to give up body fat. But diets that replacing carbs with fat instead of protein only brings gains in severely overweight people because it gets the body used to burning fat over carbs so the metabolism fires all day on fat. For me, I am in normal range so driving my fat intake up into the 225g range to cover 90% per day will probably make me fatter as well as make me throw up from so much fat. Make no mistake, this may be a liquid diet in the sense I am drinking, but I still get over 200g of protien and 65/125 grams of carbs depending on if its a workout day or not. But call me the guinea pig I suppose. I will let you all know if it works. If not whats one month in the grand scheme of things and I may see some results...at worst I'm just set back a month.

V-Diet is legit. Wicked, wicked hard. But astonishingly good results. Many respected names in exercise science have given it huge thumbs up, and within my own circle of pretty fit dudes, I've seen excellent results in the few that were able to see it though.

Are you going to be using the Biotest products? (edit: oops, just read more carefully, and see that you are)

Also, the Waterbury program designed to go with it is excellent. I've used that lifting scheme even not on the diet, and saw pretty good results.

Good luck! You'll need it! ;) But seriously, hope it works for you!

Thanks alot, man! I've seen some pretty excellent results from other people. Hope I have the will power!

Well, never said I wouldn't defend myself from the hate mail...so lets get some facts straight first the HCG diet is 500 cals....the V Diet is 1800-2100 cals. I don't want to lose my muscle gains like most diets cause, like the HCG diet. Also, the V-diet still requires a pretty significant workout where as HCG is sit on your ass and stick yourself with a needle. The Paleo and V-Diet are both Ketosis diets in they are low carb meaning your body turns to fat and protien for energy its just V-Diet is an extreme form of strictness and adherance to the rules. But if you overload on fat your body will just continue to use the fat you are eating rather then the fat around your midsection for energy. It is easier to get at and your body does not like to give up body fat. But diets that replacing carbs with fat instead of protein only brings gains in severely overweight people because it gets the body used to burning fat over carbs so the metabolism fires all day on fat. For me, I am in normal range so driving my fat intake up into the 225g range to cover 90% per day will probably make me fatter as well as make me throw up from so much fat. Make no mistake, this may be a liquid diet in the sense I am drinking, but I still get over 200g of protien and 65/125 grams of carbs depending on if its a workout day or not. But call me the guinea pig I suppose. I will let you all know if it works. If not whats one month in the grand scheme of things and I may see some results...at worst I'm just set back a month.

Well, it's not hate. More dubious curiosity...or perhaps trying to figure out why you want to do it.

I admit, I'm perfectly happy where I'm at with my weight loss and continuing results. I know that I'm going to have to switch it up eventually, which is why I reference lean gains and ketosis based paleo. I just refuse to pay that money for shakes and supplements when I can eat steak, eggs, butter and lard. Oh, and the occasional veggie.

Shall we go with contrary opinions on how to get 6 pack abs?

And by the way, good luck. You'll need it with what I saw for the diet. I know I don't have the stomach for that many protein shakes in a day...

Well, it's not hate. More dubious curiosity...or perhaps trying to figure out why you want to do it.

I admit, I'm perfectly happy where I'm at with my weight loss and continuing results. I know that I'm going to have to switch it up eventually, which is why I reference lean gains and ketosis based paleo. I just refuse to pay that money for shakes and supplements when I can eat steak, eggs, butter and lard. Oh, and the occasional veggie.

Shall we go with contrary opinions on how to get 6 pack abs?

And by the way, good luck. You'll need it with what I saw for the diet. I know I don't have the stomach for that many protein shakes in a day...

Yeah differing opinions I suppose, diets work for different people and almost every diet works even the HCG diet. Its the happiness ratio meaning the happiness of gains vs. happiness of being on the diet.

I have been on Paleo for 7 months now and still love it but my dwindling happiness of gains vs the happiness of the diet have tipped to needing more gains. I'm hoping this direction change is so shocking to my system that it is the tipping point.

I also have a more devious reason for this diet. The army standard for weight is terrible and I was cursed with large obliques topped by very tough to get rid of love handles that add maybe an inch to my waste...not a whole lot. So I am currently hovering around 22% body fat on the Army Standard and I know I'm closer to 16 or 17%. If I go for my next Height weight and need to get taped and then SPLADOW!!! I got a raging six pack and still are hovering at 20% body fat I can add legitimacy to my Army height weight is flawed claim. They want me at 212 lbs. even if I dropped to sub 10% body fat, my muscle mass would keep me over 212 lbs. Plus, I've never had a six pack, a 4 pack but not a six pack.

Nobody else can tell you what's right for your body. Do what you think is right and if it works for you, then that's excellent. No matter what you do or eat or think there's always going to be somebody else trying to tell you that you've done it wrong if you don't love it the way they do. But every body is different and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, they don't have to voice them when it concerns your life. (And you don't have to listen to them. ;) )

It's hard for me to find actual information about this Velocity diet thing (either my google-fu is failing, or it's not a popular diet). The website does not seem informative, it just looks like a pile of advertisements to me.

Let me get this straight: it's nothing but protein shakes and one solid meal a week? Do I have that correct?

I clicked that link of yours and the pictures look frankly scary to me (not in a good way). I want no part of a diet that makes people look like that woman. I want to give her a beatdown (which I could probably administer with one finger), a big slice of pie, and a few weeks in some cold northern region where she has to wear clothes and eat real food to stave off hypothermia.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Google "V diet" and you will get more hits then velocity diet and its not popular cuz its crazy hard...But yeah it is protein shakes with superfood which is a dried fruit/veg compound, fiber, diet pill (which is optional), L-Leucine, CLA, a recovery suplement, some other BCAA's and such, and one healthy meal per week...then you work out 4 days a week. It also uses NEPA. I know it is totally unnatural and thats not the style here but its only 28 days. There are ads but T-Nation is legit as most on here agree and if you click through the tabs and sub tabs read each page you will see a pretty good system that breaks down the diet, exercise and even how to come off the diet at the end of the 28 days so you dont just gain it all back.

Sooner or later every plan/program (diet or exercise) is either going to need a serious re-evaluation or abandonment for something different, at least for a while, even if you're fully compliant. You're a man with a plan (and a van?) and a reason to do it. It's a lot of pills and powdered food- but what boy didn't want to be an astronaut? I'm gonna ask two favors: 1) constant evaluation. Let us know what it's like and how it's working. 2) No pictures of you in bootyshorts and a padded bra. :) Good luck with the Army regs.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

just want to throw out there that diet and exercise aren't the only things affecting weight loss. if you're plateuing on strict paleo and you feel your exercise progressions are good, you might also want to look at sleep and stress. good luck and let us know how it goes! I have to admit i'm a hard-core paleo follower but then again I got my 6-pack on it, have a ton of energy, and love my meals, so I don't have a reason to switch. Interested to hear about your impressions :)

just want to throw out there that diet and exercise aren't the only things affecting weight loss. if you're plateuing on strict paleo and you feel your exercise progressions are good, you might also want to look at sleep and stress. good luck and let us know how it goes! I have to admit i'm a hard-core paleo follower but then again I got my 6-pack on it, have a ton of energy, and love my meals, so I don't have a reason to switch. Interested to hear about your impressions :)

Sleep is good- 7 hrs...stress is as good as it can be in Iraq...so stress may be high...but I shall return to paleo as I know that it has done well for me thus far.

This may be just my hippy-esq tendencies shining, but that "v-diet" sounds quite horrid. But more power to you.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried anything like intermittent fasting?

Anyway, good luck.

Tried fasting for a couple week by taking a day off completely from eating every 5 days. It worked ok but unfortunately in my job a whole day without energy really sucks and fasting in 125 degree heat really really sucks and my workout would suffer the day of and the day after the fast.

I may be one of the few people who says, "give it a go," but that's what I'm gonna say. Different things work differently for different people. What works for you may not work for me, or vice versa, but I think that if you gave it a legit shot, that's all you can do.

Lookin' forward to the booty short/padded bra photo shoot results. hehehe

Amusingly, my first concern with this diet when I thought it was simply protein shakes was "Hrm, you're going to miss fiber pretty damn quickly....". Ah. Dried veggie suppliment thingy. Problem solved.

Sounds like one heck of an experiment! Good luck to you sir! I can simpathize with stalling and wanting to see results. I think every one of us can agree that this diet is likely not great to maintain in the long run, but for fast results (and disproving army fitness requirements is a cause I can get behind!) I'd imagine it'd work very well. If nothing else, you'll give your self discipline one heck of a workout. I've tried clensing diets of 1 meal a day in the past, and it was definitely challenging, but I'm sure you shall rock this!

You definitely need to keep us updated frequently with your results, with or without pictures of booty shorts. Maybe open a thread in Nutrition (or I can move this one?), so people can find it later if they're looking up info on the V-Diet. Regardless... For Science!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

My firm 'natural is better' belief system (hence the appeal of paleo) and the fact that I'm a big fan of lots of little steps in the right direction rather than drastic changes is making me instinctively pretty worried about this diet. But it may work for you and if you want to try who am I to stop you?

I'd be very interested to see how you feel on this, so do keep us posted.

Level 0 Pixie

"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea" - Isak Dinesen

Sorry guys...can't do this until I redeploy...to many variables to keep track of on this kind of diet while working 84 hrs a week, plus its getting hot here. So in July, about about 3 weeks after I get back, I am taking 30 days of leave...I will try it then.

awwww. Well, keep us posted! What're you doing in the mean time?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

awwww. Well, keep us posted! What're you doing in the mean time?

Sticking to my old routine, which has been effective and probably still is, but I need a pick me up on it. Its just 1800-2200 cals a day in a protein heavy paleo diet. Then heavy 5x5 lifting 3 times a week (back/bi, chest/tri, legs) with cardio 2-3 times a week 3-5 miles per session whether it slow steady or HIIT. I can survive 3 months though until I can try it.