Jas - Snake creeps down

Jas

Hi all,

First challenge for me, so hints and tips more than welcome. Crappy goals first while I figure out how to turn them into useful goals.
Trying to get back into Tai Chi, back into exercise generally. At the moment, I do some, but don't really feel in the habit of doing anything much. Each time is hard to start.
Snake creeps down is a Tai Chi move that people argue has very limited fighting benefit, but is good for conditioning the body, controlling the motion and the mind. It is a strength and flexibility pose. It's hard to do well and there are lots more useful fighting poses. Which is why I've chosen it. It's where I feel in relation to exercise, hard to do well and I have lots more useful things I could be doing ( am a mum of three with a full time job)

Snake%20Creeps%20Downa.jpg

Yang Cheng Fu doing Snake creeps down, who set up the Yang Cheng Fu school, which is the one I do :)

Found out how to make edits, so going back and fiddling with a few things.

So based on that, my goals for this challenge are
* Control the motion - Do Tai Chi practice 3 times a week - this doesn't include the class and does include going through as much of the form as I've learnt that week. Focus on the motion and the sequence

+2 Wis
+ 2 Dex

* Control the mind - Meditate for 15 mins before bed. I heard a saying that you should meditate 20mins a day. If you don't have time to do that, you should meditate for one hour a day.

+2 Wis
+ 1 Chr

* Condition the body - Run 5kms after work before I pick up the youngest from childcare 4 days a week (I work 4 days a week, so this is the same, but I don't want to restrict myself to after work.  This gives me makeup sessions.

110 - 120 kms = A
80 - 109 = B
50 - 79 = C
20 - 49 = D
0 - 20 = E

+ 3 Sta
+ 2 Con

* Open the hips, strengthen the thighs -          Five minute sessions - Walking lunges, body weight squats or something from here -  

http://www.physioadv...ilitation-e.htm after running

Need to figure out an amount and / or an increase that won't take too much time after the run... an increase would be nice, but not sure...

+ 2 Str
+ 1 Sta

Still need to do the attributes. Will think on it for a bit and get back. Ideas welcome :-)

Level 1 Druid

Str 2 , Dex 3 , Sta 2 , Con 4, Wis 2, Chr 2

"Take good care of your body, it's the only place you have to live" - Jim Rohn

sounds like you have quite the list of goals - best of luck. 

what trouble are you having w/adding pics? do you need to know the URL for pics already online?

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Welcome to the Druids!

I really like these goals.

And I love the sentence about meditation. Actually it is true. Experience talking ;)

Have you tried BW Squats for your hips and thighs? 

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

sounds like you have quite the list of goals - best of luck. 

what trouble are you having w/adding pics? do you need to know the URL for pics already online?

Hi Rebel, the pics are on a website - http://www.chipellis.com/index2.htm, but I wasn't sure how to link to them (the pics, not the site)

Level 1 Druid

Here is a link to some other hip strenghtening excercises that you might find of use. My physio had me doing some of them after I injured my SI joint/hip a year ago and they helped strenghten the whole area. Some of them you can do at the bus stop, shopping queue etc.

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8118650/hip-strengthening-exercises-hip-rehabilitation-e.htm

Welcome to the Druids!

I really like these goals.

And I love the sentence about meditation. Actually it is true. Experience talking ;)

Have you tried BW Squats for your hips and thighs?

Hey guys,

Thanks for those ideas. I think I might change the goal around a bit to be general hips and thigh strenghtening and use some of these as ieas.

Level 1 Druid

Checking in -

On Monday when I set the challenge, I did:

meditate 15 mins before bed

(I'm ok with this, cause by the time I finished writing everything up, it was 11pm, so no time for anything else :)

On Tuesday, I did:

Tai Chi class, which meant I only ran 3kms.

Toddler didn't go to bed for ages and I was exhausted from staying up late the night before, so didn't do meditate before bed.

Am thinking i will need to put more thinking into my goals next time. These are turning out to be real stratech goals for me.

Level 1 Druid

I still need to do the attributes and grading

* Control the motion - Do Tai Chi practice 3 times a week - this doesn't include the class and does include going through as much of the form as I've learnt that week. Focus on the motion and the sequence

Copy PMA's grading for this if they are ok with it

+2 Wis

+ 2 Dex

* Control the mind - Meditate for 15 mins before bed. I heard a saying that you should meditate 20mins a day. If you don't have time to do that, you should meditate for one hour a day.

Copy Brian's grading for this if they are ok with it

+2 Wis

+ 1 Chr

* Condition the body - Run 5kms after work before I pick up the youngest from childcare

This is a total km run grade I think.

110 - 120 kms = A

80 - 109 = B

50 - 79 = C

20 - 49 = D

0 - 20 = E

+ 3 Sta

+ 2 Con

* Open the hips, strengthen the thighs - Walking lunges after running. Need to figure out an amount and / or an increase that won't take too much time after the run... an increase would be nice, but not sure...

Copy Brian's grading here too :)

+ 2 Str

+ 1 Sta

Level 1 Druid

It's my first challenge here as well. Feel free to copy anything from me if you think it fits in with your goals. Not restricting yourself to running only after work is a wise move I think, make up sessions are always helpful to have.

1 Challenge completed.

Welcome to the Druids!

I used to do the Yang Style Long Form for years (Snake Creeps Down, Cloud Hands and the whole bit around Punch the Tigers Ears where my favorite parts). Learned the whole thing... Lost it all now. Stopped when I had kids and stopped attending the class (it cost me 4 hours of time to attend each class) and didnt practice. Once I have my home under control and running under control... Tai-Chi is the next thing I'll tackle. :)

I am also meditating (like you, I do mine before sleep) and running this challenge. 

As a mum of 2 toddlers that works I know how difficult it can be to keep up with a challenge. Your goals are good... keep at it and you will succeed. :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

good job at keeping things simple, it took me a while to figure that out, in fact i think my goals are still a bit complicated

i've never done tai chi, is it slow boring movements like yoga? or like karate or something?

Tai chi is slow movements but more motion than yoga. Imagine slow motion kung fu. Its very good for the body and mind. I bit like meditation in motion.

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Which form are you working on? 24? 40? I was taking 24, then switched to Fan, then stopped because a change in work schedule meant I had to miss class. :-( Never did get very good at Snake Creeps Down. What a good idea - to make your goals focus on that one move. Bet you get it right!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

i see you figured out the pic situation - good job

in case you used a different way -

depending on the browser you use - you should just be able to right click on the pic and "Copy the image URL"

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

you should meditate 20mins a day. If you don't have time to do that, you should meditate for one hour a day.

Interesting!  I have heard this also said of jogging.  Not sure what they're getting at --is it that the renewal/refreshing aspect will add more energy to the remaining hours?

Your goals are not crappy, I call them inspiringly ambitious for a mom working full time.

And you get high marks for making them easy to objectively grade:  as opposed to "improve tai chi" you have stated how many times you'll do it.

Nothing wrong with refining goals as the challenge goes along, I say, since the point is to encourage forward progress.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Jas, havent heard from you in awhile... how are you doing? How's snake creeps down coming along?

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines