The April-May 2011 6 Week Challenge – Signup Sheet – April 11th - May 23rd

Alethea

WANTED: A FEW GOOD REBELS

Arright, the new uber long, never-before-tried 6 Week Challenge starts on Monday! As usual, everyone picks 2-3 fitness goals and 1 level up your life goal and post all about our challenges/successes throughout the month. Remember, this Challenge is not a sprint, it is a marathon! What habits do you want to build for the next 42 days? What accomplishments do you see yourself bragging about come May 23rd?

Rebels, how will you level your life?

(Newbies - wondering what this is all about? Our most recent challenge is here, check it out: http://nerdfitness.com/community/forumdisplay.php?73-28-Day-Challenge-March-7th)

The next challenge will run from April 11th to May 23rd.

Spezzy will be opening up the forum for you to post your individual threads this weekend.

But right now, we want a headcount of all the brave souls who are enlisting in this Challenge so we can organize squads and so forth.

A little more information about squads:

*Squads will be groups of five with similar interests/backgrounds/goals.

*If you do not post for more than a week, you will be considered a defunct member of your squad.

*Squads with less than four active members will be combined as we see fit if the survivors so request it.

*You can decide if you want on a squad or not. Just state your preference. If you prefer to be on a squad with someone(s) in particular, state that too, either in your post of via PM to the Incomparable Spezzy or myself.

*The benefit of being on a squad is that it gives you a smaller group of people to actively follow and support/receive support from, and gives you a chance to get to know people/compete with those who have similar interests/goals

*Also, just because someone is not on your squad doesn't mean you can't support them, offer them advice, etc. The more you stalk others, the better!

*depending on time and all of that, we may even have squad challenges and squadvssquad challenges.

*Spezzy and Knightwatch are planning something special for their squad this Challenge. Because of this, Spezzy’s Special Unit: Zombie Survival and Elimination Task Force (working title) is OPEN TO ALL WHO APPLY. If you’re in, can we get a “DIE ZOMBIES DIE�!

SO.

Will everyone who plans on participating please reply to this thread and include the following information (and don't worry no need to be scared!):

Name:

We’re starting off easy.

Brief overview of goals:

if you don’t know specific goals yet, an overview is fine. For those of you who haven't done this before - 2-3 fitness related/1 level up your life related.

Remember to read this before setting goals:

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?1406-Goal-Setting-A-Quick-How-To

need help with setting your goals? Post here: http://nerdfitness.com/community/sho...-goal-creation

If you follow a specific way of eating:

paleo, slow carb, fast carb, weight watchers, the zone - dont care what it is or where it came from, just mention it

Any other piece of information you think would be useful for squad creation:

like if you’re following the Rebel Fitness Guide, c25k, are sweet on powerlifting, don’t have a gym, or if you don’t want to be anywhere near a squad that i’m involved in because you’re afraid i’ll make you do hundreds of hours of yoga.

If you want to be part of a squad or if you want to work alone:

while one of the bases of the rules of the rebellion is that we’re all in this together, and we’re here to support each other, we know that some of you want to work alone. so just let us know so we won’t place you on a squad.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Name:

Ms. Alethea. You can call me Ms.

Brief overview of goals:

1. Follow BW portion of the AWESOME Rebel Strength Guide, 3x a week

2. Do Yoga/Tai Chi (which I tried for the first time today. So awesome) a minimum of 3x a week. A+ = 5 times a week

3. Start C25K program (eeeeeee, I've been waiting for this for EVAH!)

4. Write down what I eat to keep me accountable.

5. Life Goal: I suck at these. Lemme think about it.

Casually primal. I'm maybe 80% with the occasional grainy treat.

Any other piece of information you think would be useful for team creation:

Rebel Fitness Guide all the way! I post daily, I'm a total cheerleader for giving encouragement but I like tough love as needed. I can usually be talked into almost any pvp challenge, even if I'm grossly overmatched.

If you want to be part of a team or if you want to work alone:

Team me up!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Name:

Mr Dantes

Brief overview of Goals:

1. Get massively strong: (160kg Squat, 180kg Dead, 110kg Bench, 80kg OH Press,

2. Get massively ripped: To do this I'm following the lean gains protocol and the IF program

3. Get massively well read: I want to read as many books as I can on my kindle this challenge period. I'm aiming for a minimum of 6.

4. Get massively more educated: I want to have a categorical list of all of the universities and departments with contact details narrowed down for when I begin my Ph.D next year so I can start applying for scholarships etc.

5. Get massively more involved: Basically. I want to minimise procrastination. Too many people on this planet just don't do enough. I want to do heaps!

Do everything in my life massively! Stop half assing

Specific Way of Eating:

Intermittent Fasting

Other Information:

Do mainly weight training and sprint sessions.

Don't like too many sob stories as I tend to do tough love.

Part of Team

Yup, sign me up to a team

Name:

Mr. Clawed_Bear if you're going with the whole formal thing. Though most call me Clawed. Perhaps Mr. Clawed? :P

Overview of goals:

1. KB Swings! 6 weeks, 10k swings w/35lb bell. That works out to be 417 swings every workout (24 workouts in 6 weeks). I'm figuring a minimum of 24 workouts, if not 30. Or more, depending on how I feel...this is totally achievable!

2. Diet. Follow my paleo 2.0 diet plan. Don't eat poison, eat things that are good for you. Like heavy cream and bacon :D

3. Budget! Stay on budget without dipping into savings. Side goal: get a gym membership or olympic weight set for deadlifts at home!

4. Cleaning. Get rid of the rest of the boxes. I'm down to the final stretch here, and it just needs to get done.

5. Re-arrange my apartment in terms of living space. Time for a dedicated lights out pitch black sleeping area. If you couldn't tell, I'm excited! :)

Team Creation Guide:

Not much to say. I do my thing, and like making sure other people are doing okay. No gym, no pullup bar, no burpees. :P Just me, some kettlebells, and disturbed on the stereo.

Team or Alone:

Team please. *edit* Make that DIE ZOMBIES DIE! *edit*

Name:

Jax_BabyJeep

Brief overview of goals:

1. BW portion of the Rebel Strength Guide, 3x a week (This might change to 28 days of Basic and then BW program.. to be cont'd)

2. Do Yoga, Walking or Biking, 2x a week

3. Continue to track DAILY, food & water intake, exercise log and BP

4. Life Goal: Working a new job!!! I have a job that starts (short term 6 months..) on April 18th but also have a job interview this Friday Weee! (the one I want)

5. Life Goal: Read Yoga for Divers - I really need to improve bottom time

6. Bonus Workout Goal: 1 pull up - unassisted

Haven't decided if it's casual paleo or casual slow carb yet - but it's something =) and dang it I love my sushi too much!

Rebel Strength Guide and well, this will be my first challenge, WOOT!

Team me up Scotty! (sorry had to Alethea)

Name:
Plex. Also, I will respond to Insanity.

Brief overview of goals:
1. Hit gym 4+ times a week. Do outside activity 1+ time a week. (Eg. Helping a buddy of mine landscape, redo driveways, hiking, parkour, running outside, etc...)
2. Post for my squad and such this challenge (moving is not an excuse!)
3. Keep running and eventually try to get down to a sub 6m mile
4. 1 ketagenic paleo week in there for fun because I hate myself.
5. To quote : Life Goal: I suck at these. Lemme think about it.
6. Invent new paleo recipe involving almond meal.

Paleo + dairy (usually heavy cream/butter/whey protein. Eggs ARE paleo)

I constantly crave variety in my workouts at this point. I don't think I have done the same thing for more then a month or two. I also am mildly interested in the Spezzy squad, but I can do without.

Team and DIE ZOMBIE DIE

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"I got better..."

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NFPlex

That's NFPlex.

Name:

Dr. Sanjh (Well not for another 3 years or so, but hey I can dream)

Brief overview of goals:

1. Follow Rebel Strength Guide (Starting with Basic Training, switching to Body weight Tier 1 at some-point), (subgoals will be milestones of Strength).

2. Eat similar to the bulk up guide (and put on some muscle while at it).

3. Research + School (Specifics will be filled in later).

Primal-ish, though I'm worrying less about it this time and more about getting the protein and calories.

Following the Rebel Strength Guide.

Squad please, because I refuse to call it team.

BAH! I think I sprained/tore both calves this weekend while running stairs. Of course, the sprain had to happen on the last run to the top. It's pretty spectacular- walking is painful and I can't put any weight on my heels, so I look like the brood mother from Alien. Anyway, I don't expect I'll get much done during the next six weeks, so I'm taking my name out of the hat for this challenge.

CODE NAME: Gowaduv (or Gowa if 7 letters is too much fer ya' :) )

GOALS:

1) Work through "Starting Strength." Current PRs: 275 squat, 95 Overhead press*, 135 deadlift*, 135 bench press*. No numbers for clean. 1RM Goals: 350 squat with perfect form, 300 deadlift, 150 OP, 200 bench. No goal for cleans other than practicing them (preferably without freaking out the trainers at the gym).

*These are rep weights, I haven't established a 1RM so the 'goals' are guesstimates at difficult but attainable weights.

2)Workout 4 times per week. This will probably be 2 times in the gym, a bodyweight workout at home and biking on the weekend (if the weather cooperates).

3)2Km Row on Concept2: sub 8-minutes. Last attempt at 2Km: 8:56.9; 500m went from 1:59.6 to 1:47.2 during last challenge.

FOOD GOALS:

Continue eating paleo (on a given day I'm about 98% compliant). Day-to-day this includes: no grains; no quinoa, millet or the like; 1oz heavy cream in coffee is ok because it doesn't cause problems; Cheese is used sparingly because it makes me phlegmy (usually one slice with breakfast); Nuts are OK; Sunflower seeds are suspect for me, so I avoid them. Also, buy 1/4 of a grass-finished beef when tax return hits the bank.

This time I'm allowing myself cheats. Sushi will be on the list (my guy uses very little rice and huge pieces of fish). Plus I'll probably want some Ben and Jerry's and gluten free pizza. Maybe.

LIFE GOALS:

1)Continue fighting the job-search troll.

2)Complete current shop projects, return to fireplace tools project and post them for sale on Etsy.

3)Take the bus to work more often... even though I don't like the bus :\

USEFUL INFO:

This is my second challenge. I have a PvP challenge that's due on July 4th- a squat competition between me and Freefit Guy to see who can do 12 bodyweight squats in 20 seconds or less. Don't think I forgot, Freefit :)

Also: Team- yes please.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Name:

Lowenna

Brief overview of goals:

1. Fitness: Run 3+ times per week

2. Fitness: Start following Mobility WOD

3. Fitness: Do basic callisthenic alternate days

4. Diet: Organise all the paleo recipes I've collected in to a folder and try a few out so that I'm ready to go fully paleo next challenge.

5. Life: Spend 30mins a day on housework

6. Life: Go back to doing detailed day plans.

Avoiding things I'm allergic to. Wheat and dairy.

No gym, no scales, sore feet. But these things will be overcome. :)

Hmmm... despite the temptation of zombie fighting I'm going to go it alone this time.

Level 0 Pixie

"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea" - Isak Dinesen

Name: Garth

Brief overview of goals:

Fitness:

1 - Follow the Beginner Body Weight Workout from here on the site. 3 times a week.

2 - Walk to and from work everyday.

Diet:

1- Plan weeks meals ahead of time, so I can buy all the correct ingredients and don't eat badly as an excuse.

2 - Buy maximum of 1 Latte a week from the Costa we have at work.

Life:

1 - Spend 15 minutes 3 nights a week practicing spanish.

2 - Spend 15 minutes everyday practicing guitar.

This will be my first challenge.

Would like to be a part of a squad.

Follow me on Twitter: @garth_green

Name:

Philociraptor aka Phil, Phillip, Philasaurous-rex, etc.

Brief overview of goals:

1. Fitness: Follow DD section of Rebel Strength Guide (3 days per week)

2. Fitness: Work out at least one additional day (sprints, long, barefoot run by the river, etc)

3. Diet: Continue full Paleo through lent, after lent ends continue with 90% compliance (I miss my once weekly burger/pizza)

4. Life: Get at least 7 hours of sleep per day (AKA go to sleep by or before midnight, get up at 7)

5. Life: Do what I need to to graduate.

Paleo (+ beer and coffee of course)

I'm gonna use these six weeks to primarily build strength, then go back to a bodyweight style workout. Throughout I will continue to work on flexibility and speed. My ultimate goal is to become an assassin (in spirit) and be able to survive the zombie apocalypse with my leet parkour skills.

Team please, I need people to yell at me when I'm hurping and durping.

Name:

Pinupgeek aka whatever name you think you just heard

Overview of Goals:

Fitness: Yoga once a week

Fitness: Run 2 miles!

Fitness: Work on getting stronger for backbends

Diet: Stop being so lazy about cooking. Find new primal recipes.

Life: 30 minutes a work day studying for my broker's license exam. 2 hours cumulative on nonwork days. Will finally sign up for the exam.

Specific way of eating:

I follow primal/paleoish diets. Except where brownies are concerned.

Other information:

I'll be using the Rebel Fitness Guide (haven't gone through it all yet), and I focus on bodyweight workouts.

Squad please!

Human Ranger

My Current Challenge

Name:

Citabean or Cita

Brief overview of goals:

Fitness: Following the BW Workouts of the Rebel Strength Guide 3x per week

Fitness: Cardio HIIT "triathlon" 2x week, increasing time for each distance (1 mile elliptical, 3 mile bike, 1 mile treadmill - Currently at 11:32 min, 11:49 min, 14:28 min)

Life: Continue Training my way to a Project Manager role as well as completing the project for the data cube I'm building.

Life: Get enough sleep so that I don't feel the need to nap on the train. That way I can spend my time on the train reading!

Following the Paleo diet as outlined in the Lose Weight section of Rebel Strength Guide

I'm following the six week Rebel Strength Guide program, rebooting my life and goals. I'm about 75 pounds away from my "ideal weight". This is my first challenge!

I'd like a team please!

STR 5 * DEX 5.5 * STA 12.5 * CON 7.75 * WIS 7.75 * CHA 3

My Fitness Pal

Name:

Caesar wellthatsnice

Brief overview of goals:

1. Follow BB portion of the Rebel Strength Guide, Rank Two Cycle B

2. Increase my weight from 170 to a 180 post shed weight (the shed will happen after the 6 weeks)

3. Achieve these 5x5 stats 170 Bench, 225 Squat, 200 Deadlift, Pullups 20lbs on belt

4. Keep tabs on my diet on Dailyburn.com (workouts as well)

5. Life Goal: Bungee Jump of the stratosphere while in vegas in early May.

Maintain a calorie surplus of 500 per day. Diligent tabs on my diet. Roughly 4000 cals while trying to stay as Paleo as possible (Likely break this with whole milk and sweet potatoes),

I do soccer conditioning, 3x’s a week and lite tri training (my tri’s are all late summer and I won’t start real training until after may) 2x’s a week (swim and bike) and this won’t stop despite my goal of weight gain.

Team me up scotty!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Celtic Ranger

Level 1

STR 2.0 | DEX 3.0

STA 3.0 | CON 2.0

WIS 2.0 | CHA 3.0

"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything you're willing to practice, you can do." - Bob Ross

Current Challenge: The Elder Goals

Name:

James

Brief overview of goals:

1. Benchpress 230

2. Run a mile in 8 minutes

3. Stop eating junk food (I've been bad the past two weeks)

4. Treat myself to a NF T-shirt if I meet all my goals.

5. Life Goal : Make one new friend

Unprocessed healthy food

I like to run and lift :D

I'd love to be on a team this time for support...and because i'm just to curious to pass it up DIE ZOMBIES DIE!

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Name:

Deathstalker

Brief overview of goals:

Fitness: Mission Awesome - Do Basic Training for the first 28 days, then graduate to Body Weight Brigade. Track everything.

Diet: Mission Food - Track everything I eat. Avoid grains. Try at least one new meal every week. Cut down sugar and coffee.

Life: Mission Get Out Of Dodge - Phase One: Unclutter to the max until April 30. Avoid buying anything I do not want to bring along to the new place. Mail gifts, donate books, clothes. Throw out junk. Phase Two: Move out, unpack things, and acquire necessary items/equipment.

Bonus Goals:

Epic Tailoring - I get one point of awesome for each wearable item of clothing that I complete during the challenge. Caveat: I need to phase out something else from my wardrobe to avoid cluttering. (LARP costumes are exempt from the caveat).

Epic Gamemastering - I get one point of awesome for each hour I spend focused on actively writing and creating things for my LARP series.

(Depending on how I am feeling, I may post pictures of the things I make. Also, no idea what I'll get for the awesome points apart from the feeling of awesome. Will figure that out at some point.;))

I try to avoid junk and grains, and take inspiration from the Guide's meal plans.

Taking part of the Contest. I like talking to people.

Team. :)

Victory, not vengeance.

Becoming a machine - Round 2

Name:

Dan!

Brief overview of goals:

Continued from last challenge:

-Most recent pushup max - 30. Increase this by 10 at least.

-Bear - Increase weight!

New:

Pullups? Yes. Over the next 6 weeks, be able to do a set of 3-5 PERFECT pullups.

Follow RSG's BW and SlimDown Guides - trying to get my bodyfat% lower again, 9-12% range.

More running! Hit a 2-3 mile stretch.

Life goals:

- More piano! Keep learning songs and practicing.

- Eat a little less bread (grains in general)

- As strange as this sounds, that's all I can think of. After the life success of last goal, I'm having a hard time thinking of more.

Low carb. ~100g give or take a day. Maybe decrease by cutting out the bread.

Following the RSG, trying to make my body the most efficient it can be.

Not just team, but DIE ZOMBIE DIE!!!

Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.

-Maya Angelou

Name: Sandman

Fitness Goals:

1) follow the BW path from the strength guide

2) follow the slim down path from the strength guide

3) c25k

4) mtn bike over lunch hours (3x / wk)

Food Goals:

1) continue eating paleo

Level Up Goals:

1) Win the Strength Guide Challenge

2) Complete my ski trip video

3) Sell our house

Selling our house is not really something that I have control over, but if it DOES sell, win!

Squad:

Hook a brutha up. Things have settled back down a bit and I should be able to post more regularly!

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Me | My Youtube | Facebook | RunKeeper

Name:

Miss Spezzy

Brief overview of goals:

1) lift a lot

2) eat a lot

3) overcome weaknesses

4) kill zombies

double paleo, all the way.

i would marry my barbell and have burpee babies if allowed.

die zombies die!

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Name:

CapN (far too long to type the rest of it! LOL!)

Brief overview of goals

1. Deadlift a lot

2. Lots o shield casts with my clubs

3. Record some music

Way of eating

Paleo. mmm. . . meat and veggies!

Other information that would be useful

Oh, there is probably a lot of information that would be useful.

I like teams. Zombie fighting sounds like it could be interesting, as well.

Name:

ArmyMBM (Mike)

Brief overview of goals:

1. Be able to do a Low L-Sit Parallel Bar Hold for 30 Seconds

2. Hold a Handstand for 5 Seconds

3. Trying for a Front Tuck and Frog Stand for 20 Seconds each again

4. Weighted Chin-Ups (+35 Pounds) Twice

5. Life Goal: Finish my Senior Project

I gave up treats for Lent, specifically sweet things. I plan on following through until April 31st, with it stopping the 24th of April for Easter celebrations. I added the extra week because I started Lent late.

Any other piece of information you think would be useful for squad creation:

Focusing on Strength, specifically Bodyweight Strength Training

If you want to be part of a squad or if you want to work alone:

Squad

Name:

Faline

Brief Overview of Goals:

Fitness

1. Follow Rebel Strength Guide...starting off with basic training but will work towards body Weight tier one.

2. Go to climbing gym at least twice a week

3. Yoga twice a week

4. Lose 6 pounds...one pound a week

Eating:

Paleoish...vegetarian style

Lifestyle:

1. Complete Last two classes for my Masters

2. Find second internship

Team or alone?

Hmmm Team me Please!!!

Sadness Is Easy Because It is Surrender

http://twitter.com/#!/PsychoLoLCat

Name:

Tasty`

Brief overview of goals:

1.Complete Basic Training in Rebel Strength Guide(I am basically just doing this until I can successfully do push ups consistently)

2.Start Bodyweight workout in Rebel Strength Guide

3.Do some form of cardio 3x a week

4.Eat Low Carbs and as healthy as possible at school

5.Write down what I eat in a food journal

6.Get under 290lbs. Currently 296.

Going to try to be as close to paleo as I can get, My school cafeteria is a bit rough in what it offers. I will be trying to eat low carb and high protein as much as possible

I'm following the rebel strength guide, I'm going to try to keep my progress updated daily, I enjoy cheering on squadmates

Give me a squad

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Human Adventurer

My Bucket List/Epic Quest || Tasty's Reckoning: Becoming Bane

| Str: 6 | Dex: 5.75 | Sta: 5 | Con: 5 | Wis: 10 | Cha: 7 |

Name:

Diglett

Brief overview of goals:

1. Strength Stuff. Do it.

(I'm tired of only being good at running.)

2. Mobility WOD. Do it.

5. Internship. Get one.

(I just sent out an inquiry for pretty much my dream job. (In Kenya!))

More specifics to come.

Vegetarian. I eat carbs. I do not intend to change this.

I'm an engineering undergrad student. I like dabbling in different sports and activities. I don't like making excuses, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm great at getting things done.

Yes! I'd like a team.

And if there are no prerequisites, die, zombies, die?!? (I like surprises. And burpees.)

Level 3 Human Jedi Apprentice / Assassin

{ running, rock climbing, frisbee }

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines