Xerla - 1st Challenge!

Xerla

Hello!

I got lucky! Just right after I tried my first ever body weight circuit training this morning, I found out about this 6 week challenge. So this is my first challenge :)

My height is 5'7", current weight 187 lbs.

My goals for this challenge are heavily related with my next summer holiday visit to Japan.

1. Do beginner's bodyweight workout 3 times a week (STR +3 STA+ 2)

I need to be stronger and faster. I've been exercising for some time since last month, so this is a good challenge for me. 

I've wrote this down on the Rebel Introduction page, but I'll write it again:

I don't want my legs got hurt from climbing endless stairs of subway/temples/shrines/castles in Japan like last summer. I was almost crying in the middle of Osaka Castle's stairs just because I was so overweight and not fit enough to do traveling. I even need to buy knee support. I can't go down to catch the subway, I need to use elevators, I missed lots of activities because my legs hurt so much. I won't let that bad experience happened to me again. Ever. Not this time.

Grading:

A: 3x per week

B: 3x per week and 2x per week (inconsistent)

C: 2x per week

D: 2x per week and 1x per week (inconsistent)

E: 1x per week

F: 0x per week

2. Clothes size down by 1 number (CON +2 CHA +2)

At first, I wanna make it into lose 10 - 12 lbs at the end of the challenge.. But weight scales always freaks me out. And there were times when my clothes are bigger than before, yet my weight didn't go down that much. My current size is 14 UK, so I'll aim for 12 UK.

And mostly, because I wanna look good in my holiday photos! My last year's holiday photos was…… OMG I don't wanna look at them anymore hahaha… I got this precious 2nd chance, so I better not screw this one up.

Action Plan:

1. Do Goal #1, with interval training in-between 2x per week. Total 5x per week of exercise.

2. Adapt to Paleo. I've mentioned this on my Rebel Introduction post too, but I'll write it again. Since I live in a country where muffins/bagels/donuts/pasta/pizza/cereal/oatmeal are considered luxury stuff, I have to settle with eggs, tofu, fish, chicken, lamb, beef and lots of vegetables. A good thing, I think.

My problems with diet:

1. Sometimes I eat white bread with butter and choco sprinkles for breakfast (around 2x a week), instead of the usual omelette. I'll cut the white bread out.

2. White rice is the staple food here. Fortunately, brown rice is cheaper and easy to get, so I'll switch to that. Actually, I like brown rice because it's less sweeter.

3. I'm a huge fan of plain ice tea and mineral water, I dislike soda and alcohol is okay sometimes. My weakness is I like to try new sweet drinks.

4. Dessert…. Ah. I can eat this 2x a week few months ago, but last month I've managed to control it into max 2x per month. 

Grading:

A: Size down to 12 UK, fits comfortably

B: Size down to 12 UK, feels a bit tight

C: Size down to 14 UK, loosened up

D: Size down to 14 UK, fits comfortably

E: Current size 14 UK feels a bit tight (size doesn't change)

F: Size up 14 UK feels tight

3. Eat more vegetables. (CON +2)

My lunch and dinner must consist veggies, at least 2/3 part of the meal.

Grading:

A: 7x a week

B: 5x a week

C: 4x a week

D: 3x a week

E: 2x a week

F: 1x a week

4. Improve my Japanese language (WIS +3 CHA+1)

Currently I self-study using the popular textbook "Minna no Nihongo". Now I'm at Chapter 18 Book I, my goal is at the end of this challenge, I have to complete all the 2 books (total 50 chapters). So I should be doing 1 chapter every day or every 2 days. I want to be at least not 90% illiterate like last time. 

Grading:

A: Complete all 2 books (50 chapters)

B: Finish Chapter 45

C: Finish Chapter 40

D: Finish Chapter 35

E: Finish Chapter 30

F: Stuck at book 1 (25 chapter)

Personal long-term goal:

I develop an interest on Parkour. I hope after this challenge, I won't lost interest (that familiar "Oh I achieved my goals already, eating choco pancakes and caramel cheesecakes won't hurt"). I will try my best to keep my habits and improving them so I can finally train some movements of Parkour next year. I also have interest on continuing my Aikido and try yoga, but this time I'll focus on fat loss and building some muscles for these short-term goals.

• Like 1

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7
Intro | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Current Challenge

These goals look great!  Have you considered how you will score yourself against them?  In particular, goal #2 strikes me as "all or nothing" - is there a way to rephrase your goal to make it more based on your actions to get to a smaller size, rather than the size itself (for example, staying within a calorie goal each day)?

• Like 1

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

Laureleye

Thank you for your support!

I'm happy that I can visit Japan again, and hopefully this time I'll be in a better shape than last year!

fluffyrin42

Thanks for your input! I've written my action plans for Goal #2, as well as grading for all goals :)

---

So this is Day 2 of my 6 week challenge.

Today I did a cardio exercise using my Nintendo Wii Just Dance 2 game. Detailed info on my Battle Log.

I started the exercise at 4.30 AM, since I need to go to my college around 5.30 AM. Exercising at night is kind of impossible, because there will be too many things to do and I might end up not exercising at all. Since exercise is one my goals here, I have to raise the priority.

I was so lazy to wake up, moreover all my body aches from yesterday's bodyweight training haha… But I reminded myself of this challenge, so I forced myself to get up, start doing exercise and now it feels nice to actually doing something good for myself early in the morning.

The first temptation awaited me on the dining table.

Apparently, I didn't woke up that early to make my own breakfast. So I can't make any omelettes or any healthy paleo food. The only thing available was the lovely combo of white bread with choco sprinkles. And I ate it. Ah.

So today I'm going to the grocery store to stock up some protein and veggies, set my alarm 15 minutes earlier (4 AM instead of 4.15 AM) and maybe tweak my daily schedule so I can sleep 30 minutes earlier.

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Hi Xerla!  Just wanted to drop in and say Hi!!  Love your goals, although I think you've set your grading a little hard on a few of them.  For example, the first goal you probably will only do two circuits a week for the first week or two because full circuits are going to kick your butt.  Or, you'll probably do a reduced circuit three times -- and either one would be a good choice, not one that deserves getting penalized.  Also, if you get sick or if something urgent comes up you haven't left much wiggle room.  Give it a thought anyway :)

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

LadyofLayton

I haven't done paleo before, but it seems that my daily menu is somewhat paleo. I rarely eat bread/dairy, pasta is expensive here and I mostly eat protein (from meat and vegetables) and vegetables. The only thing is I ate white rice a lot since it's a staple food here haha~

At first it might seems a little bit strict, but actually doable and more about changing habit (white rice is quite hard for me haha). I'm more aware with food now :D

Hiraedd

Thanks for dropping by!

I looked it up again, maybe my grading is indeed a little hard. I'll think it over! Thanks for your input :)

Wirilome

Hi! Thanks for the visit and good luck for us! :D

-----

Today is the 3rd day, and I'm still having fun.

While I was carrying my heavy laundry/school bag with laptop inside/heavy groceries, I never thought before that the weight can feel lighter if I train my muscles!

I always accepted this as "yeah it's heavy, there's nothing I can do, it's just heavy", but now I have a different thought about it.

I also pay more attention on my food and sleep, I really need to take care of my body because I'm doing different routines now.

Eilyd

Yes I never considered such benefit before haha... It will make less lazy for carrying anything anywhere just because "it's heavy" :D

My first week was fine! There were many new things and changes, so I'll make some adjustments for my daily routine.

How about you?

---

Yesterday was Day 4, got so busy so I update my thread today.

FOOD

- I just bought some bananas and I really like it hahaha

- I got too scared from malnourishment (doing many exercises), so I tend to eat more than usual, even though I'm already full. So I ate too much and this happened every day on this week, I think I should eat half serving and take home the other half.

- Some people told me about fat burner supplement for workout (choline, L-carnitine) and protein shake. I still don't know anything about this. I'll do some research and ask around. I once tried the caffeine supplement, but it made me uncomfortable so I won't use it anymore.

- Fortunately my family's diet habit is "do not eat processed food" (instant noodles, corned beef, sausages, etc) so it's not hard to cut these out. Pasta is not that important than protein for muscle repairing, so I can reduce these too. I dislike soda and sweet drinks. My weaknesses are white rice, dairy products and desserts.

SPORT

- I changed my wall push-up into incline push up using my study desk, now it feels more challenging than wall push up, but not as hard as regular push up with knees.

- I changed my 1 kg dumbbell with my school textbook haha.. it weighs 1.5 kg. And still not that challenging. I can't feel my back muscles working after 10 reps, I should try 2 kg next time. I love the feeling of my legs being stretched every time I do dumbbell rows after lunges :)

- On every move, I started to feel tired on 5 last reps (but not a failure)

- As usual, squats and lunges feel like workout made in hell hahaha….

- I can't eat instantly after I workout, even though I'm so hungry. It makes me feel nauseous. I should wait 15 - 30 minutes before I eat.

- I need at least 90 minutes from sport prep, work out and ready for usual work/school. Need to wake up earlier.

Day 5!

DIET

- Breakfast: Too full again! I really need to lower my eating speed haha~

- Lunch and dinner: Full, but not that full. Not as bad breakfast.

SPORT

- Rest day :)

- Should I change my rest days from Sat & Sun into Thu & Sun?

- If somehow I got bored with my 30 minutes 2x a week interval cardio, is it okay if I change it into beginner yoga exercises? What are the effects? Less fat loss or flexibility increased or something like that?

Day 6

DIET

- I ate tasty yet dangerous snacks today

- I think I'm too low on carbs..?

- Still feeling quite full..

- I have this paranoid feeling of being protein-deprived, so I keep eating more than before. Maybe I should buy that protein shake.

SPORT

- Can I slip ball exercises into my routine? Like ab crunch? I heard it's not important because bodyweight training already targets all the big muscles... I miss my ball :(

Hey Xerla - just checking in. It sounds like you're doing great!  As far as your diet questions go, I would steer away from any "diet supplements" and just keep focusing on eating well... but as always, do your own research!  Have you tried tracking your foods to see just how much protein/carbs you are actually getting?  One rule of thumb on protein intake is to eat as many grams of protein as you weigh in pounds.  So if you weigh 150lb, you should try to eat 150g of protein.  If you're coming up really short, then maybe the protein shake is a good idea.

As far as exercises - I say do what you enjoy!  If you get bored with a specific cardio workout, definitely do some yoga!  It's more important that you are enjoying your activities than focusing on a specific benefit (fat burning, muscle building or whatever).  It all burns calories which is the ultimate goal.  If you miss your ball, there's no reason to stop doing those exercises.  If you prefer an ab crunch over planks, go for it!  The key is to keep yourself motivated.  :)  Keep it up!

Hi Xerla!  You're really working hard; good job!

Definitely research supplements really well before you take them;  a lot are unhelpful and a waste of time.  I definitely advocate protein shakes, though--specifically the kind that you make with powder and water/milk (not the diet ones that come individually in bottles).  They help you get the protein you need to build lots of muscle without eating so much that you hurt.  I also find that they are easier to digest after work-outs than a full meal is.

Depending on your workouts, Thursday and Sunday rest days might be good.  That way you aren't working your muscles so hard that they can't heal.

Fluffyrin42

Yes I did some math and my calorie needs is about 180 g per day. My daily protein intake is around 100 g, so I think I need some extra protein. But I still havent' decide which brand of protein shake I should try. Or maybe I can tweak my diet and insert few amount of protein :)

Thanks for mentioning the 'fun' part of the exercise! Yes I think what's important is the fun part, it will keep my mood up and I'll have fun every time I exercise. I'll rethink my exercise plan so I can insert any other fun exercise :D

Eilyd

Hello! Yes I was thinking using protein shake because I'm going to be really full if I try to eat all the natural protein haha… I'm still finding the right protein brand. Which brand/type of protein shake do you use?

Now I fixed my rest day into Thursday and Sunday, I think 5 days straight of workout won't give my muscles enough time to regenerate haha..

----

- I have a sorethroat :(

- My brand new muscle cells are doing a fantastic job! I feel stronger than last week, less tired and can go pass the 15th rep without getting really tired like last week.

FOOD

- Bad diet. I ate too much again, and I'm not happy with my food choice (except the salad).

- I need to wake up earlier to prepare my breakfast and I should bring my own lunch to college. Soto ayam is nice, but it was expensive.

SPORT

- Need to start at 4.30. That means woke up at 4 AM, prep at 4.15. There are many disturbances in the morning and I have to prep many things, like brewing usual green tea (maybe it's time to consider buying the extract capsules to save more time), prep for the clothes and socks (should do this at night instead), make breakfast. And it took around 40 minutes for me to bath, etc until I'm ready to go to college.

I like the EAS chocolate powder.  It tastes okay if you only have water to mix it with, and with whole milk it tastes like a chocolate milk shake!  (Even better with a bit of peanut butter, but I try to only add that if I really need the extra calories.)

Congratulations on feeling stronger!  Soon you'll feel like a lion. :)

You're doing great!  If breakfasts are a big struggle for you, maybe you can prep a large breakfast on the weekends that will last all week.  Something like mini omelettes (you can make them in muffin tins for individual servings) or a big breakfast casserole that you can reheat quickly in the mornings...

Congrats on feeling stronger - it's such a rewarding feeling, isn't it!

Eilyd

Unfortunately there are no EAS products in my country :(

There are only Optimum, Ultimate Nutrition, Dymatize, AST, GNC.. And quite expensive haha.. I'll look at the nutrition facts on EAS and find a brand with similar nutrition. I think taste is also an important factor for me haha..

Yes feeling stronger is good, I hope I can feel comfortable carrying groceries and school bag soon enough!

fluffyrin42

Large breakfast for a week and mini muffins are great idea! I'll give it a try soon.

Usually I avoid doing heavy activities because I'm afraid that I'll get too exhausted and become sick. But now after doing some exercises I feel confident that I'm strong enough to do more activities! It's indeed a rewarding feeling!

---

Day 7

- Today is supposed to be a rest day. But in the end I was cleaning my dogs' house and my bathroom. It took lots of energy!

- My diet is under control. I don't feel to full or eating too much.

- Yesterday, one of my professor were joking about my weight, and it brought back that ol' negative feeling of living in a country where 60 kg is already considered really fat, maximum size of clothes is 12 US or 10 UK with shoe size 40 Europe (mine is 42). I know it was just a joke, but deep inside I got hurt. Until I realized that I shouldn't let anything bothers me, I made progress already and I won't stop making it until nobody will ever make a joke about my weight anymore.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with those added social pressures...  I'm glad you recognize the good progress your making and know that you can always pop on these boards for a boost when you need it!  Keep it up!

fluffyrin42

Thank you so much for your support! NF folks are like a spring pouring with endless motivation and fitness/fat loss info for me! I'm so glad I'm here.

I've been facing those social pressure for a long time, and I already learned how to laugh at my own body jokes, but I never get immune to it. I guess deep down inside every overweight/obese person will got hurt by those jokes, no matter how good they concealed it. But now I have to see it as a bitter pill for motivation :)

---

- I upgraded my incline push up into knee push up! Now I feel my muscles are working better than incline push ups XD

- I added 0.5 kg into my "dumbbell", now I use 2 kg textbooks inside a bag. But why I can't really feel my back muscles working? I should do something about this exercise next time. There must be something wrong, my position maybe.

- I added 5" into my plank, so now it's 20" instead of 15".

- So it's another progress in my workout. I'm happy!

- Apparently I need 2 workout clothes. I got really sweaty after BBWW, and I need to change before I started stretching.

- Don't drink before stretching! My stomach got really angry and ready to threw the water out when I started the stretching haha...

- I'll feed my body with good amount of nutrition. I feel indebted to my own body cells, they do exactly what I told them to do "get stronger! lose those excess fat!" and get quite demanding ("come on! you know right now we can do more than last week! bring it on!") hahaha :D

- I tried intermitten fasting yesterday.. And today I was starving before lunch, got too full after lunch and now my stomach has that dyspepsia syndrome. Maybe I can't do intermitten fasting yet..

- I can't find the English names for local Indonesian food hahaha

You're doing really well!  Great progress on your pushups, weight, and planking. I'm proud of you for how much you're learning. :)

For your "dumbbell" rows, make sure to pull your arm up so that your upper arm is even with your back, or a little further.  Keep your back straight, too.  With these two things, hopefully you will feel more muscles working. :) Mostly where I feel it is around my shoulder blade, and the back of my arm.

Eilyd

Thank you! I feel good about myself too :D

Now I feel a little sore on my back around my shoulder blade. So I think maybe it was the "dumbbell"'s weight problem. But I will keep on checking my form! Thanks for your input :)

- Bad dinner (50 g yogurt choco lava cake and 60 g yogurt bread and butter pudding), but it was delicious haha..

- I need to increase my video game dancing intensity, maybe 2/3/3/1/3/3/1.

- Stepped on the scale today and kind of discouraging (with all the diets and intense exercises), but I know my muscles must be having a growth spurt! XD

- I tried inverted rows with my chair (?), and well, I can't do it. Hahaha… I can't lift my butt at all XD

- I changed my dumbbell rows weight into 3 kg.

- I added 10" to my plank, so now it's 30".

- Lunges exercise is not as hard as the first 2 weeks!

- I feel dizzy. Not exhausted, but just dizzy. It's my period week now, and I never do BBWW in my period days before, maybe it affects my body.

- Bad dinner (50 g yogurt choco lava cake and 60 g yogurt bread and butter pudding), but it was delicious haha..

- I need to increase my video game dancing intensity, maybe 2/3/3/1/3/3/1.

- Stepped on the scale today and kind of discouraging (with all the diets and intense exercises), but I know my muscles must be having a growth spurt! XD

YES!!! See the silver lining :)

You are doing great!

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines