Talia's Quest to Run the Red, White and Boom 1/2 Marathon.

Talia

Ahhh a new challenge! I've changed my thread name for the first time since joining NF! Time to put my main goal as the focus of these next few challenges! Last challenge was an epic win in conquoring the weight section. I learned a ton in the last challenge when it came to my running, including changing my running form, getting new vibram soled shoes and correcting my strike pattern. I'm ready to kick this part of my goal into high gear!!!

This time around I must switch gears and focus on my long term plan of running the Twin Cities Marathon in Oct (26 weeks), by way of the Red White and Boom 1/2 Marathon in 12 weeks. I've switched plans to a Galloway running plan as recommended by guild members last challenge! My running goals will be based on his plan for a "just to finish" goal. So this round (and the next few really) I will be switching from weights 3 days per week to 2 days per week, with running 3 days and two rest days instead of 1 each week.

Here's the plan for this challenge!

GOAL 1– Run a 12 Min Mile

Last challenge I had this goal and didn't reach it, so I'm keeping it! I did improve on my 15 min mile last challenge, but I'd like to really see progress here this time. Since I'm focusing on running, this is an excellent place to start. A 12 min mile is 5 MPH and I'm currently doing 3-4 MPH. By the end of the challenge I want this to be averaging 4-5 MPH.

HOW: I'll be following the Galloway running program for a "just to finish" 1/2-Full Marathon plan. This involves running on Mon/Wed for 1/2 hour, Thurs is an "easy walk", and long runs on Sat. Fri and Sunday will be recovery days.

On my Mon/Wed runs my plan will be to work on this goal by progressively improving my time. By the end of 6 weeks I'd like to be doing at least 1 mile in 12 min during these runs. I'll be continuing with intervals for these Mon/Wed Runs as a way to increase my speeds. I discovered last challenge that 5 Min up/down is a great pace for me, so I'm going to stick with that. I'll do these at the gym since that's more doable during the work week.

Long runs will focus on simply distance - not worrying about time for the most part. Time should improve as my endurance improves, but I'll be tracking it in general not specifically. These will be done outside every week as soon as its humanly possible (if we ever thaw out) and only done inside if its raining.

(+5 STA)

GOAL 2 – Strength Training 2 days per Week.

Last challenge was all about this goal and me overcoming my fears of weight training. I'm pleased to say it was a huge success! Now I need to continue that momentum, but secondary to the running. I'm going to continue with my RFG Plans since those are going so well! I leveled up from Rookie to Recruit during the last challenge and I think I'll stay there through this challenge. I'd like to perfect this workout and add some weight to my lifts before I level up. This will be on Tues and Thurs. This workout includes interval training, which I'm going to skip. Since my Mon/Wed runs will be intervals this will be a fine compromise.

How: Follow the RFG Recruit workouts on Tues and Thurs, skipping the interval training portion. I'll be looking to add more weight every two weeks - so 3 times - during this challenge.

(+3 STR and +2 CHA)

GOAL 3 – Focus on Food - 5 meals per day

This was also a goal from last challenge that went ok, but not great. I learned a lot and discovered some tools to help. THis challenge I want to nail my diet. Its time to get serious about what I'm eating and to make sure its empowering my workouts. I'm going to fine tune this to more specific goals based on what I learned last challenge.

HOW: I must eat 1552-1652 calories per day. This needs to include 125g protein and 120g Carbs (vegetable, oatmeal and quiona/brown rice only) and no more than 30g of sugar each day. I'll be tracking fat but not really worrying about it as long as it comes from healthy fat sources like avacado an lean animal protein type sources. I already follow a mostly Paleo approach, I'm gluten free, mostly diary free and eat almost entirely organic. I need to eat on a better schedule so this challenge I need measure how often I eat with a goal of - Breakfast, Lunch, snack, Dinner, snack. Thats roughly 300 Cal per eating time - give or take. I'll be using Paleo for Athletes to dial this in.

(+5 CON)

In addition to these goals I'll be attending my normal bellydancing classes on Wed evenings. Optimally workouts will be done in the morning - but I've learned that flexibility in my schedule means I am more successful with my goals so as long as I workout each day I'm scheduled its a win. Friday mornings I'm still going to get up at gym time and I think I may do some bellydancing or yoga at home.

I currently weigh 197. My measurements are: (In Inches and on both sides)
Neck: 12.25 Chest: 34 (-2) Waist: 39 (-.5) ( Hips: 43 (-1) Bicep: 12 (-.5) Forearm: 9 (-.5) Wrist: 5 Thigh: 24 Calf: 16

SCHEDULE

MONDAY-WEDNESDAY: 1/2 hour of running. Focus on intervals and 12 min Mile goal.

TUESDAY - THURSDAY: RFG Recruit plan.

SATURDAY: Long Runs per schedule - runs to be outside unless there's bad weather.

FRIDAY - SUNDAY: Recovery Days.

• Like 1

Goddess Scout Level 5

STR: 11 | DEX: 3 | CON: 13 | STA: 8 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 10

All it takes for evil to triumph in this world is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

"Make yourself happy without hurting others, then help others to be happy without hurting yourself.

The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Bertrand Russell

Previous Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Talia's Quest to run the TC Marathon v2.0

Run Tracking

Hi Talia!  Your goals sound great; I'm a big fan of the Galloway plans.  It seems like a lot of Scouts are aiming for a Half Marathon this year.  I'll be following to see how you do with getting that pace up there.  Good luck!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Hi Talia!  Your goals sound great; I'm a big fan of the Galloway plans.  I'll be following to see how you do with getting that pace up there.  Good luck!

Thanks Phoenix!! I'm excited to make it happen this time :)

Goddess Scout Level 5

All it takes for evil to triumph in this world is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

"Make yourself happy without hurting others, then help others to be happy without hurting yourself.

The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Bertrand Russell

Run Tracking

Awesome goals! good luck!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Off to an excellent challenge start!!

Made it to the gym this morning for my first Galloway run ;) Took it easy since I really didn't work out much at all last week due to illness. Did 1.5 miles in my 30 minutes - which was a pretty slow pace for me. Got in a great stretch and felt really great through it all. YAY for being healthy again :) Managed to get in a protein shake but no real breakfast.

Goddess Scout Level 5

Run Tracking

Great start!

german

monkey scout

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Awesome goals! good luck!

Great start!

Thanks German!

Goddess Scout Level 5

Run Tracking

Lonnnnnggg post!!! I cant read it all right now! But i did follow you!!! I'll read it tonight after work!!! *hugssss*

LOL! S'Ok Shoobs! I'm just excited to see you back! :)

Great goals, looks like you have a really good plan.

Thanks! I'm excited about this challenge!

Nice plan.  Now that you dominate the free weight section.....Goal 2 is just to show off......I like it!

I will miss thinking about your underwear every time I see  your post.

Doing my best to show off my newly formed weight section skillz!!! And you are still free to think about my underwear if you like... LMAO!

Goddess Scout Level 5

Run Tracking

TALIA!! :) Totally 'subbed cause you're awesomesauce. Wow - I LOVE how you broke out your week. That's wicked cool - very nice. ;)

... I get to witness you pwning the gym AND the pavement?! @__@ zounds! :D

Aww Shucks MW - Thats so nice of you to say! :)

Goddess Scout Level 5

Run Tracking

Ok - Finally an update!

Monday finished off nicely - need to get caught up on MFP entries - but everything IS logged in my planner so its just entry that needs to be completed. OK start all thing considered.

Tues - total bust. Confluence of overscheduling and last minute changes. Dr's appts at 8a, 9a, 10a = no AM workout due to the whole "come in fasting" BS. Good news is all the issuses I've been battling are resolving nicely and I'm almost back to normal (knock on wood). Impressed the heck of my new Dr with my RFG logs and MFP setup - she pretty much ordered me to keep doing what I'm doing! lol  Lunch meeting = semi healthy veggie sandwich and snarfed home left over dinner before my HOA BOD meeting in the evening (moved from another night) = resisted the yummy looking homemade cookies! No workout today... going to have to makeup for my poor planning! Note to self - don't PLAN on being able to move a workout to the evening... Murphy's law says something will be moved to that evening out of spite.

WED - BACK ON TRACK. Up this morning, to the gym and completed yesterdays missing weight workout. MAN it felt good to be back in the weight section! Making up this morning's run tonight between work and bellydance and I'll be back on schedule in the morning! I was naughty and skipped breakfast.... except for my post workout coffee/shake... but I did pack a fabulous lunch and dinner so I'll be eating good things the rest of the day. I'll be back in my normal groove in no time :)

Off to check up on the rest of you!

Goddess Scout Level 5

Run Tracking

I just want to say - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! - To everyone here. Coming here and posting is 1) the best accountability ever... I LITERALLY tell myself I have to go to the gym because I don't want to have to tell you all I didn't and 2) the best part of my day. I appreciate everyone's support so much!

Goddess Scout Level 5

Run Tracking

I just want to say - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! - To everyone here. Coming here and posting is 1) the best accountability ever... I LITERALLY tell myself I have to go to the gym because I don't want to have to tell you all I didn't and 2) the best part of my day. I appreciate everyone's support so much!

*sqee-ze* We love you too much to leave you alone. ^_^  Thanks for being awesome and sharing yourself with us!

Ok - I'm a bad employee but now I'm caught up on everything!

Monday - 1831 Cal, 170g Carbs (eep!!), 106g Protein, 32g Sugar

Tuesday -  1668 Cal, 185g Carbs (eep!), 104g Protein, 18g Sugar

Wed -  1006 Cal, 69g Carbs, 98g Protein, 33g Sugar.... if I eat everything I've packed for the day. Gonna HAVE to add something else to get me up above my calorie counts. I do nothing to help myself win when I don't eat enough... SO Bellydancing was cancelled and I ended up home for dinner - funny how things work out! so here's the real results: 1424 Cal, 105g Carbs, 146g Protein, 49g Sugar.

Now I'm off to the gym to get in my run and be back on track for the week :)

Goddess Scout Level 5

Run Tracking

Your last post made me giggle! Bad Employee- I can't tell you how often I spend valuable "work time" either in NF or chat or doing some other NOT work stuff :)

Glad to know I'm not the only one! :) Good thing I can hide in my office and "look" busy!

Goddess Scout Level 5

Run Tracking

Staying healthy means less sick days from work, so it's all good (That's my story and I am sticking to it!!)

You are doing great, and I hear you about evening workouts, almost all my "moved" workouts end up being cancelled, my life has a way of interfering with afternoon plans, I suspect the only reason it does not interfere with morning workouts is 'cause I am exercising before I have actually waken up!

You are doing great, and yes, I have also woken up to run (or swim or whatever) just to avoid writing down here that I missed my workout because I was soooo sleepy! that's the whole point of this challenge.

Keep rocking!

german

monkey scout

What?! NF is a perfectly productive thing to do whilst at work! (lol - read, yup, I'm guilty too!) ;)

Sad that bellydancing was cancelled. :( Good that you got to have dinner at home and meet your calorie counts! :)

I don't think I ever asked... what style bellydance do you normally perform? My sister loves her American Cabaret and I'm more of a fusion kind of gal.

Hi, Talia.  Looking forward to following your thread as you keep progressing!

THANKS JF!

Staying healthy means less sick days from work, so it's all good (That's my story and I am sticking to it!!)

You are doing great, and I hear you about evening workouts, almost all my "moved" workouts end up being cancelled, my life has a way of interfering with afternoon plans, I suspect the only reason it does not interfere with morning workouts is 'cause I am exercising before I have actually waken up!

You are doing great, and yes, I have also woken up to run (or swim or whatever) just to avoid writing down here that I missed my workout because I was soooo sleepy! that's the whole point of this challenge.

Keep rocking!

Good call German ... that's totally my story now too :) Thank!

What?! NF is a perfectly productive thing to do whilst at work! (lol - read, yup, I'm guilty too!) ;)

Sad that bellydancing was cancelled. :( Good that you got to have dinner at home and meet your calorie counts! :)

I don't think I ever asked... what style bellydance do you normally perform? My sister loves her American Cabaret and I'm more of a fusion kind of gal.

I am not sure about productive but it sure makes the day go better!! ;) I take classes taught by a friend of mine who hates the general sequestering of bellydance so we literally learn many different styles! Its mostly tribal fushion though.

Fantastic set of detailed goals.. you got this!!

Thanks Gyro!!

Taaaaaalia! How was your weekend? ^_^

Update coming up right now!

Goddess Scout Level 5

Run Tracking

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines