• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

Spring Strength Showdown 2013 (a NF Virtual Powerlifting Meet!)

Worked on the squats today, last time I did them was at 50lb 10 reps. Jacked it up to 70lbs today and was able to get 3 sets of 5 reps in. Not so bad, going to keep upping it each week, and see where I am around May 17th. Deadlifts I am currently at 115, and bench presses are a pathetic 50lbs, really need to work on those more, but I have only recently started them, like in the last 2 weeks. 

bench should be a fair bit below squats, mine is about 30kg difference (105kg and 135kg) and i consider that too small a gap, i want at least 40kg difference (it'll be relative so you're probably alright really)

bench should be a fair bit below squats, mine is about 30kg difference (105kg and 135kg) and i consider that too small a gap, i want at least 40kg difference (it'll be relative so you're probably alright really)

thanks TimmyM, I'm still figuring all this weightlifting stuff out, so good to know that I am pretty much where I should be.

thanks TimmyM, I'm still figuring all this weightlifting stuff out, so good to know that I am pretty much where I should be.

Weight lifting or power lifting in this case. Weightlifting (one word) is the clean+jerks and snatches they do in the olympic lifts.  Those oly lifters get touchy about this.

Ok so I want to do this but I'm pretty new at power lifting. I tested my 1RM last week on the big 3 and I'm pretty low. My deadlift 1RM was 165, my squat was 155, and I think my bench was 75? I'm a 130 lb 4'10" female and have only been lifting a few months. I've never done a competition before.

In it's most basic form, the "Strength Standards" are benchmarks that coaches have specified. It's a way of figuring out where you line up next to other people, in case you're wondering about that sort of thing. 

Here's a quick reference sheet:

CrossFit Strength Standards

Starting Strength Standards

Some interactive calculator with standards(aka this one is pretty cool)

That and it just sounds cool to say "I'm a POWERlifter".

but really Weightlifting should be called Powerlifting considering it relies more on power whereas Powerlifting is all about strength 

but really Weightlifting should be called Powerlifting considering it relies more on power whereas Powerlifting is all about strength

Actually powerlifting takes a lot more power than people think. Bar speed might be slow for a max lift but you still need a fast initial effort for best results (visualize exploding out of the hole). It can, however be done without power whereas with Oly lifting you have to take a ton of weight off before you can just muscle it up.

I like to call it Powerlifting vs Olympic lifting to make it easier for myself. Otherwise I feel like I'm classifying Olympic lifters with bodybuilders which would probably be the bigger insult.

Thanks! According to the charts, I'm "untrained" for my bench and press, "intermediate" on deadlift, and "advanced" on squat! Surely that can't be right???

It certainly can be right for a beginner. Your body has it's own strong points and weak points to start and that's why you'll see that maybe your lower body is far and away stronger than your upper body. As you level up, those strengths will start to even out and your weak points will catch up to your strong points, until you're strong all over. 

A year ago I was all over the place between category 1 and category category 4, now everything has evened out in between 3 & 4 as my  upper body finally caught up with my tree trunks of legs. Give it time, your body will figure itself out. 

Actually powerlifting takes a lot more power than people think. Bar speed might be slow for a max lift but you still need a fast initial effort for best results (visualize exploding out of the hole). It can, however be done without power whereas with Oly lifting you have to take a ton of weight off before you can just muscle it up.

I like to call it Powerlifting vs Olympic lifting to make it easier for myself. Otherwise I feel like I'm classifying Olympic lifters with bodybuilders which would probably be the bigger insult.

It does require power, but not nearly as much as oly lifting. Power can be equated to weight x speed. In oly lifting the speed is much faster while the weight actually isn't actually all that lighter.

It does require power, but not nearly as much as oly lifting. Power can be equated to weight x speed. In oly lifting the speed is much faster while the weight actually isn't actually all that lighter.

an Oly competition without using any power just raw strength...That would be funny to watch. I bet I could "snatch" 75lb powerless

Weight lifting or power lifting in this case. Weightlifting (one word) is the clean+jerks and snatches they do in the olympic lifts.  Those oly lifters get touchy about this.

That and it just sounds cool to say "I'm a POWERlifter".

Hahahaha, thanks guys, see told you all I'm new to this Strength Training (is that more neutral, lol), don't know the terms or what I should really be aiming for. Just really love being able to lift heavy, and every day I add more weight. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women and using that as a guide right now.

In it's most basic form, the "Strength Standards" are benchmarks that coaches have specified. It's a way of figuring out where you line up next to other people, in case you're wondering about that sort of thing. 

Here's a quick reference sheet:

CrossFit Strength Standards

Starting Strength Standards

Some interactive calculator with standards(aka this one is pretty cool)

On the Strarting Strength Standards I am almost at Cat.II for Deadlifts and Squats, Bench Presses I am about 10lbs shy of Cat.I, Good to have a reference to go by. Thanks

Thanks! According to the charts, I'm "untrained" for my bench and press, "intermediate" on deadlift, and "advanced" on squat! Surely that can't be right???

Ughh! I feel your pain, just when I thought I was getting somewhere, I too checked the charts and found that I am "untrained" in all areas! That can't be right!!

I don't feel untrained.

Is there still enough time between now and the competition for me to test out my 1RM? I talked to CoreyD About it a little bit, but I was insanely busy and haven't gotten to it yet. I was thinking about doing that on wednesday with only going for a 2RM so I have a good starting place for the competitions first attempt.

Also, when does the smack talk start? :P

Is there still enough time between now and the competition for me to test out my 1RM? I talked to CoreyD About it a little bit, but I was insanely busy and haven't gotten to it yet. I was thinking about doing that on wednesday with only going for a 2RM so I have a good starting place for the competitions first attempt.

Also, when does the smack talk start? :tongue:

Should be yeah. If you do it Wed, then you'll have what like 3 weeks of recovery and prep time before the comp is over with. 

And as for smack talk, there has been a few healthy volleys between Corey, Seth, and myself.

Should be yeah. If you do it Wed, then you'll have what like 3 weeks of recovery and prep time before the comp is over with. 

And as for smack talk, there has been a few healthy volleys between Corey, Seth, and myself.

That is awesome! I'll go get some information about my max lifts on wed then, thanks a lot :)

Sadly I lack the lifting strength necessary to start talking trash, so I'll just keep quiet and let the big boys talk ;)

That is awesome! I'll go get some information about my max lifts on wed then, thanks a lot :)

Sadly I lack the lifting strength necessary to start talking trash, so I'll just keep quiet and let the big boys talk ;)

That's ok, so does bigm.