CharlieBoston and the Battle for Fitness

Day 1:

Goal 1 Progress - No run. 0/3 for the week

Goal 2 Progress - Did the TBT: Tabata 1 workout. Starts with 10 minutes of mobility drills as a warmup. Then did 4 exercises. Each exercise was done for 8 rounds before moving on to the next exercise.

And of course, because it was Tabata, each round was 20 seconds of as many reps as possible followed by 10 seconds of rest and repeart. There was a minute of rest between exercises.

Like other workout video-type programs, they have different levels depending on what you can do. When I last did these a few weeks ago, I was able to do all the level two version of each           

exercise. This time I decided to REALLY push myself and do as many reps at level 3 as possible.

These exercises were:

Quad Press - I can't readily find a video of this, but you start on your hands and feet. Hands turned inslightly, knees are bent so your back is level. For level 1, you simply

bend your arms and flare your knees out to lower yourself and then press back up. For level 2, you make a backward circle by shifting your body back, down, forward and then back up again.

This is more leg intensive. Level 3, you make a forward circle. This is more arm intensive. I did most at level 3 but there were a couple of rounds where I had to go down to level 2.

Lunges - Level 1 is your standard lunge. Stepping back and switching legs after completing one. Level 2 is a stepping-forward lunge. Step forward, push off and switch as soon as the forward leg

returns. Level 3 is plyometric lunges. I could only do three rounds of level 3: two rounds at the beginning and I gutted out the final round with these. The rest were level 2.

Pushups - Level 1 is a modified pushup. Start in the child's pose from yoga, then moving your upper body forward while keeping your elbows locked you end up in a position similar to doing a

knee pushup, lowering to the floor and pressing back up and moving back to the child's pose. Level 2 is knee pushups. Level 3 is regular pushups. I only did two rounds in level 3. I just can't 

crank out that many pushups. My upper body strength isn't that great. The rest were level 2.

Squat thrusts/burpees - For whatever reason, these are referred to as sprawls in the workout. Level 1 is a basic squat thrust. Level 2  is a modified squat thrust where you lower your hips when  

you thrust your legs back. Level 3 is a jumping squat thrust. I was all over the place for this one. I started out on level 3, but alternated between level 2 and 1 for the most part. But I gutted it out

again and did the entire last round at level 3 and immediately collapsed once the round was over.

After a minute to catch my breath, there was a 10 minute cool down with yoga. I was gassed but felt really good.

1 workout done. - Success!

Goal 3 Progress - Breakfast: Protein smoothie consisting of almond milk, oats, peanut butter, half a banana and spinach. - No dairy. (note that this goal excludes my utilization of whey protein)

Lunch: A 3 oz. serving of steak, ~1.5c cauliflower, ~3 oz. baby carrots, a small fruit cup and an itty bitty gala apple. - No dairy.

Afternoon snack: Instant Oatmeal - No dairy.

Dinner: Skinless rotisserie-cooked chicken breast, 1/2 a sweet potato with brown sugar, 1c cauliflower and a glass of apple juice. - No dairy

Post-workout: 2c almond milk with protein powder - No dairy

No dairy for the day. - Success!

Goal 4 Progress - Watched Game of Thrones, played some games on my iPad and I was in bed shortly after 11pm. Success!

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Introduction - CharlieBoston and the Wavering Motvation
Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

"Hope, D'Argo. It's what keeps you going... I have hope or I have nothing."

Day 2: (Tuesday)

Goal 1 Progress - No run. 0/3 for the week

Goal 2 Progress - Did the TBT: Tabata 1 workout again as per the program calendar. Same deal as before although I took it easier and did mostly level 1 movements, sometimes level 2. Still pretty sore from the first

workout. 2 workouts done. - Success!

Goal 3 Progress - Breakfast: Protein smoothie consisting of almond milk, oats, peanut butter, a half a banana and pure vanilla extract. - No dairy. (note that this goal excludes my utilization of whey protein)

Lunch: A 3 oz. serving of steak, ~1.5c brocolli, ~3 oz. baby carrots, a small fruit cup and an itty bitty gala apple. - No dairy.

Dinner: Baked haddock; string beans and corn - No dairy

Post-workout: ~1c almond milk and ~1c water mixed with protein powder - No dairy

Goal 4 Progress - (Monday night) My father-in-law came over during the day and painted our kitchen, so it was left in a shambles. It was also a bath night for the kids. And I had to get a workout in. And do dishes. And

start some laundry. I was finally in bed shortly before 1am. - FAIL

A largely successful day, apart from my not going to bed early enough. But at least I didn't fall asleep on the couch again, which is really something I'm trying to avoid.

Crap, now that I'm thinking about how I am to log this, I'm realizing I should probably start a spreadsheet.

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

Day 3:

Goal 1 Progress - Ran. I overdid it, though. I KNEW I wouldn't be able to run at my previous ability, but I still went for distance. My left knee started hurting after a mile and a half (thanks, skiing injury from my childhood!). I ended up running,

walking, running, walking and so on for the run back home. All told, I went 3.2 miles in 31m:17s. I clearly ned to work my way back to where I was. I tried the Zombies, Run! app, but I couldn't figure out how to get my music

to play in conjunction with the game itself. I'll figure it out before my next run.

1/3 runs for the week.

Goal 2 Progress - Did the first day of my TBT program's active recovery. 15 Minute Mobility. Felt silly working on the mobility of my individual fingers, but what the hey, it was easy. - Success!

Goal 3 Progress - Breakfast: Protein smoothie consisting of almond milk, Honey Nut Cheerios, peanut butter, honey, pure vanilla extract and spinach. - No dairy. (note that this goal excludes my utilization of whey protein)

Lunch: Oven roasted chicken with veggies on a 6 inch flatbread from Subway. - No dairy.

Afternoon snack: Cinnamon raisin bagel. - No dairy

Dinner: Whole wheat pasta with sauce. - No dairy

Goal 4 Progress - (Tuesday night) Was in bed shortly before midnight. - Success!

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile