Ems' New Chapter Challenge #2

Ems

Hey everybody! Ok so here we are, round 2! This challenge is all about resetting, restarting, not from square one but from where I have managed to get to so far :) My first challenge was very...challenging! It was far from perfect, and because of that was, in hindsight, exactly what I needed. I am a perfectionist by nature, and have a frustrating tendency to overreact to mistakes. This was something that negatively affected my last challenge, so something that will be tackled this time around. Last challenge I gave myself no wiggle room at all, so it was very demoralising when I failed once in a goal, as it instantly dropped my grade. This time around I'm going to be more realistic, take smaller steps and be more practical about melding the challenge with my life.

So, let's get down to it. Goals are as follows:

#1 Reduce body fat percentage from 29.4% to 27%

Since joining NF and starting with a personal trainer I have dropped my bf from 32% to 29.4%. It has made such a difference to how my body looks already that I am bringing this goal forward from the previous challenge. It may seem like a random goal number, but if I get to 27% that will be a 5% drop since late January 2013  :D

A - 27%-27.5% B - 27.6%-28.5% C - 28.6%- 29.4% F- 29.5% or higher

1 DEX - 2 CON - 2 CHA (less fat = greater mobility, better health, looking good)

#2 Complete either a 5k or 10k row once a week - ALTERED TO AT LEAST ONE ROWING TRAINING SESSION PER WEEK

I've become increasingly passionate about rowing since my trainer incorporated it into my sessions. I have a rowing machine at home, so there's no excuse about not completing additional training on my own. I have a very active job (dance teacher) so teach 17 classes a week, plus participating in 2-3 classes a week for my own training, and 2 personal trainer sessions, hence why its only a once a week row!

A - 6 rows, B - 5, C- 4, D - 3, F - 2-0

1 DEX - 2 STA (work on speed, but also boost endurance)

#3 Choose to get back on the wagon and track the journey

Last challenge I set myself a very difficult diet goal, and have found that the more I tell myself I can't have something, the more I want it - classic. So this challenge I am cutting out cake, sweets, crisps and soft drinks completely, as I have done this before and don't eat these things very often anyway, but I am not tying these to a grade. Other than that, I can choose what I eat, and I'm hoping that this freedom will encourage positive choices as it has in the past. The second part of this goal is accountability - food will be logged daily on my Daily Battle Log. It doesn't have to be logged on the day itself, but each day must be recorded, and obviously, the sooner it is done, the more accurate it will be. My grade will drop when I miss 2 days a week food recording.

A -  7/7 logged, B - 5/7, C - 3/7, F- 2-0

3 CON - 1 CHA - 1 WIS (better diet = better health, looking good and greater self awareness from recording foods)

#4 The to-do list

This 6 week challenge will cover an extremely busy work period, probably the busiest so far in my entire career (eep!). To help my head not explode, the goal is to complete a to-do list of what MUST be done tomorrow before leaving the office. This will be a short (hopefully) and very specific list of things that are the most important for that next day. I will also post these on my Daily Battle Log. Mon-Tues, Tues-Wed, Wed-Thurs, Thurs-Fri, Fri-Mon

A - 5/5, B - 4/5, C - 3/5, D - 2/5, F - 1-0

2 WIS - 1 CHA (better organised, more efficient and not turning into a raving stress head!)

Ok so there they are, thought about them a lot, but they may well be tweaked over the next six weeks. Looking forward to this new challenge, and to reading all about yours as well. Here we go!

Emily

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

welcome back Ems :) Was wondering where you got to.

I know, sorry I disappeared at the end of the last challenge, just working through some stuff! :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

I know, sorry I disappeared at the end of the last challenge, just working through some stuff! :)

That's ok hunny, no one minds.  You work through what you need to.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

hi there,

i think you managed to make goals that are sustainable in times of stress...i like! :)

and kudos for even joining a challenge when you know there will be tons of work and stuff!

good luck!

Hey, thank you! That was definitely the aim :) Day 3 and so far so good.

Level 11 Human Ranger

To do lists are a necessity for me. When I first started the job I have now, I even included eating lunch and going to the restroom. I would get so busy that I would forget and it was nice to have at least 2 things that would for sure get crossed off. Good luck this challenge!

Wow Jo! That is intense! I may well do the same, love the sense of achievement in crossing things off, and lunch is definitely something that gets pushed down the importance scale. Thank you, you too! :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

Welcome back Ems! =D Glad to see you on here again and looking forward to following your progress =) Love the new goals, btw!

Hey DocKBar, thank you! Happy to see you back again as well, and likewise. I had a look at your pictures and you look fab! Brilliant job :) So excited for you in your new location and well done for facing the challenges associated with that head on in your goals :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

Challenge 2, Day 2 update, 17.04.2013

Just a nice nugget of encouragement, my mum has said twice in two days how much 'skinnier' I'm looking - yey! She is not the type o give easy praise, plus she sees me all the time, so it would have to be a clear change for her to notice :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

Challenge 2, Day 2 update, 17.04.2013

Just a nice nugget of encouragement, my mum has said twice in two days how much 'skinnier' I'm looking - yey! She is not the type o give easy praise, plus she sees me all the time, so it would have to be a clear change for her to notice :)

Nice!! =D That's always a great feeling and definitely amazing motivation =) Glad to hear that you're seeing results!

Level 3 Human Adventurer

(based on the old system, anyway)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #25

Current Challenge

Challenge 1 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3

Nice!! =D That's always a great feeling and definitely amazing motivation =) Glad to hear that you're seeing results!

Thank you! :D

Level 11 Human Ranger

Challenge 2, Day 4 update

Hey NF peeps, all good so far. The to-do list is working out particularly well. After an extremely busy week, I feel tired, but like I worked hard and stayed on top of things. I only teach one class on a Friday and then the rest of the day and the weekend is mine, so I've got that end of the week feeling :) Diet is ok, no crisps, cake, sweets or soft drinks. I feel much more relaxed as I'm not restricting myself so much foodwise, so over the next few weeks I will be limiting the chocolate bit by bit, by choosing to! All foods are logged on my DB log, and its very helpful to see it all in black and white.

Level 11 Human Ranger

Hey NF peeps!

Today was a personal training day, and usually I look forward to these as I love my sessions, but today I was just tired and stressed and felt like it was just another thing I had to do - major attitude failure! Fortunately my trainer is a great guy and let me work through it, and 10 minutes in I felt so much better, stress gone, all that was in my head was the exercise. Brilliant stuff. A nice bonus was a drop in weight by 0.4kgs and a bf % drop by 1.4% :triumphant:

So, quick update:

Goal #1 - currently at a B, body fat percentage at 28%, 1% to go!

Goal #2 - tomorrow is a light day, so the row will happen then, probs go for a 5k as this has been a heavy week fitness-wise

Goal #3 - still no cake, crisps, sweets or soft drinks. Over next few weeks need to tackle the chocolate and biscuits, and then the carbs to get back to my diet of a month ago. All foods logged so 5/5 so far.

Goal #4 - really helpful goal, really keeping me on track and prioritising well. All lists made this week, so 5/5.

I'm looking for some advice about something now, any suggestions welcomed! I'm trying to increase the protein level in my diet, but I often teach in the mornings so don't always fancy eggs or proper food just beforehand, feels a bit dodgy!  I'm also looking to find something as a post-workout snack/meal. I've seen some NF peeps posting about having whey protein in smoothies, and was thinking this may be an option, a couple of times a week. I'm not looking to bulk up though, rather to lose weight, more specifically fat, and I just wondered if any people trying to achieve a similar goal had any experience with these kinds of smoothies? My training sessions are starting to get more weights intense, which is great, and now I want to make sure my diet is supporting that. I am a complete beginner though, and recognise that I don't need anything massively complicated protein shake-wise. I hope this makes sense - any ideas greatly appreciated. :confused:

Level 11 Human Ranger

Right, just completed my row for this week, 5k, 16:08. Told myself at the start that it was just an easy chilled out row, as it has been a heavy physical week, and today I did 3 hours of ballet/contemporary dance, so no time goal in place, and I listened to that for the first 2.5k, just cruising along at 22/24 spm. Then I decided, well I've done 14:56 before, I'm sure I can get under 16, so then went crazy trying to do that and upped it to 32spm over the next 2.5k. Didn't quite make the 16 as you can see, and it was one of the most intense rows I've ever done, classic self v self competition! But yey, row completed, gonna go jump, (well crawl) into the bath now!

Level 11 Human Ranger

Challenge #2 update, end of Week 1

#1 Reduce body fat percentage from 29.4% to 27%

I am now down to 28% body fat, so it's a B grade right now :)

A - 27%-27.5% B - 27.6%-28.5% C - 28.6%- 29.4% F- 29.5% or higher

#2 Complete either a 5k or 10k row once a week

Completed a 5k, so on target for this goal

A - 6 rows, B - 5, C- 4, D - 3, F - 2-0

#3 Choose to get back on the wagon and track the journey

No crisps, soft drinks, sweets or cakes eaten this week. All food logs completed, so 7/7 and an A grade for this goal

A -  7/7 logged, B - 5/7, C - 3/7, F- 2-0/7

#4 The to-do list

All 5 lists completed, so its an A for this :)

A - 5/5, B - 4/5, C - 3/5, D - 2/5, F - 1-0/5

I want to now step up my diet goal, so I can have EITHER chocolate OR biscuits on a day, not both. If this goes well, I'll take it to having a day without either. I'm taking this in baby steps to make sure I keep on target.

This week has been great goal-wise, manageable but effective, the to-do lost especially. Here's to Week 2!

Level 11 Human Ranger

So it's the end of the first week, and I have only just now realised that I haven't assigned any RPG points to my goals - duh! Editing now!

Level 11 Human Ranger

I'm looking for some advice about something now, any suggestions welcomed! I'm trying to increase the protein level in my diet, but I often teach in the mornings so don't always fancy eggs or proper food just beforehand, feels a bit dodgy!  I'm also looking to find something as a post-workout snack/meal. I've seen some NF peeps posting about having whey protein in smoothies, and was thinking this may be an option, a couple of times a week. I'm not looking to bulk up though, rather to lose weight, more specifically fat, and I just wondered if any people trying to achieve a similar goal had any experience with these kinds of smoothies? My training sessions are starting to get more weights intense, which is great, and now I want to make sure my diet is supporting that. I am a complete beginner though, and recognise that I don't need anything massively complicated protein shake-wise. I hope this makes sense - any ideas greatly appreciated. :confused:

Great news on your first week, Ems!  See i knew you had it in you :)

Firstly, something you need to know about building muscles is that muscles burn fat.  It takes more energy to build and maintain muscle than it does for fat stores etc.  Also when your body needs energy (during extended endurance or during starvation mode), it will first deplete muscles stores before it depletes fat stores.

FWIW from your daily routine (teaching and working out yourself), you're doing a lot of endurance work and a little extra protein in your diet won't kill you (or bulk you up - honestly most people don't do this unless that's their aim and then it take tons of other things too), because you'd burn that protein.  I love adding a bit of whey to my smoothies once a day and it helps.  I don't like to eat when i work out cos it makes me feel yucky, but i do take a BCAA about 30 - 45min before a workout and then another about 45min - 1 hour after.  These have been great.  The warriors would be able to give you some good advice on light pre/post-workout snacks. I personally like biltong (jerky), dried fruit and nuts as little snacks.

Keep up the great work and good luck for week 2.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Great first week!

Thanks Aggi! How is your challenge going? I'll pop over a little later and have a look at what you're up to :)

Way to kick butt Ems!!! Keep up the good work!  :peaceful:

Yey! Cheers dude! Same to you :positive:

Level 11 Human Ranger

Great news on your first week, Ems!  See i knew you had it in you :)

Firstly, something you need to know about building muscles is that muscles burn fat.  It takes more energy to build and maintain muscle than it does for fat stores etc.  Also when your body needs energy (during extended endurance or during starvation mode), it will first deplete muscles stores before it depletes fat stores.

FWIW from your daily routine (teaching and working out yourself), you're doing a lot of endurance work and a little extra protein in your diet won't kill you (or bulk you up - honestly most people don't do this unless that's their aim and then it take tons of other things too), because you'd burn that protein.  I love adding a bit of whey to my smoothies once a day and it helps.  I don't like to eat when i work out cos it makes me feel yucky, but i do take a BCAA about 30 - 45min before a workout and then another about 45min - 1 hour after.  These have been great.  The warriors would be able to give you some good advice on light pre/post-workout snacks. I personally like biltong (jerky), dried fruit and nuts as little snacks.

Keep up the great work and good luck for week 2.

Hey Angel, thank you :)  Feeling much more together this time around, and that my goals are much SMARTer than last challenge. This is great advice, I really appreciate it. I'm going to look into buying some whey protein, I'll check out BCAA and get on the smoothies, and head over to the Warriors, that is a brill idea. Thank you, I really love the encouragement and the help you always bring to all of us lucky Rebels :)

i am really impressed! its quite inspiring to read how you just line your goals up and knock them down! amazing!

good luck for week 2! :)

Thanks fearless! This challenge I really thought about my goals to make sure they would be attainable, and so far so good! Good luck to you too! :congratulatory:

Level 11 Human Ranger

Ems, you amaze me!  I absolutely love seeing your awesome progress.  Way to go! 

I can't really add anything to the protein discussion from a health point of view (Angelblaidd's got you covered), but you should be careful if you have any intolerances/allergies, etc.  I'm lactose intolerant and CANNOT eat anything whey-based--I'd rather drink a gallon of whole milk first.  It can be rather tough to digest even for milk-drinkers, just like beans can be tough to process.  If you have a sensitive gut, you might want to try an easier-to-eat protein powder.  I know lots of health food stores, etc, now sell plant-based protein powders: brown rice, seaweed, etc.  If you don't have any problems with milk, you might be find with whey.  It's up to you to judge.  Good luck on week 2!

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines