Joyfullyme's Joys of Iron minus the Dalek

Joyfullyme

Hey there Nerd fitness world,

I am new to this challange thing and I am excited to try my first one on here! After seeing many of my friends and my wonderful husband (Blamedcat) successfully win on these challanges in life, I have decided to join in with all the fun. My name is Joy and I love my name. I am actually very excited that i met another wonderful friend on here named Joy and we are going to be both lifting iron (and not the iron for clothes cause i never ever iron clothes) for the first time.

My goals that I have set for myself are these:

1. I shall pump iron once a week (I shall use a barbells to learn to actually lift wieghts) and since I work 12 hour shifts I have decided that for my first challenge that this shall be once a week on one of my days off. I will do 30 minutes of wieght lifting till I feel comfortable with it and then gradually add more and add more time.

2. I will use dumbbells on my days that I actually work to get the same kind of weight lifting excercise but which can be done in my house. I want to start with the small weights and work my way up, doing 30 minute excercise and then a 5 minute break and then another 30 minutes once a week on a day that I work. (so that I shall in fact be doign two days a week of actual excersise)

3. Diet goal: I am going to get rid of all soda's. I shall not buy or drink or consume or smell or sniff or gaze longingly at a soda pop. I know that I shall cave in, so I have given this some thought, I want to get rid of all soda's for 6 of the 7 days of the week and it has to be days I am working to not drink pop. I am far to tempted at work to drink soda's but I am also so very busy i can't be bothered with going to the cafateria to get one. So those days are "safer" for me. I also have a 5 yr old daughter who I love very much and who has been told that I am not to drink soda and she is to tell me so when she catches me with one. She is very blunt and very much a good accountability partner for a kid. She is very honest and has told me many times I am fat and need to lose it and that drinking soda's are bad. That daddy says that they are bad and I shouldnt drink it but since she is so skinny she should drink it for me. *haha* I gave myself one day to drink and I have decided that the huge caffine headache I know I will get from not drinking soda will be worth it to finally overcome this horrible addiction.

4. Life goal: My life goal is one that is more personal. I am a christian and I do love my Lord very much, however I have found that I do not always find the time to read the Bible as I should and I need to do that more. So my goal is to catch up on my bible reading for the year using the app Youversion and the bible plan for reading the bible through in a year. I shall talk to my friend Joy about what I learn to have her help keep me accountable as well. I want to be a better child of God and to do that I need to know what the Bible really says and what it says to me, not what someone else thinks it says, or thinks it says to me.

Bonus

5. To have a date night with my husband at least once a week. I will try to get away from work, my adorable little "demon" children (hahaha), and to spend time building my relationship with my husband. To actually date my husband and to be courted by him. I know he is making this one of his challenges and I am soo thrilled that i decided to do that same. I will make the time and the effort to make my husband feel like he is all man to me and that i shall not talk about our kids whilst on the date.. and i shall have him not use his phone for texting while on the date.. this will be some awesome fun! Holding hands, gazing at eachother like love sick kids, and then going home and sleeping. ZZZZZ night time is for tired old people like me!

Joyness

Race: Human

Level 1

Class: Adventurer

Strength: 2 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 2 | Constitution: 5 | Wisdom: 4 | Charisma: 1

JOY!!! *glomp* :D I LOVE your goals. And I'm so thrilled & honored to be your partner in "crime" with this challenge! As well as your Bible accountability partner. ;) WOOT!! My challenge thread is linked in my signature (so you can find it easy enough). 

EEEEEEEEE!!!! ^_^

Together, we shall be the Joys of IRON and we shall mold it to our will as it will mold our bodies through it's weight!

Looks like you've got some great goals, dear!  I like the bonus goal, however, if I'm not texting, I'll have to make sure that you're not facebook game playing while we're out too ;)

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Myrial, I know you can do it.. and you will do great! We are all in this together and I know that as long as I have people like you keep enougraging others we are going to do just great! You will be awesome!

Thank you for your support. I have tried many times to get rid of soda pop and I have to do it. I turned the same age my aunt was when died. She died cause of her obesity and I am considered obese. I had to decide once for all that I am going to be around for my kids and so when i was oh so very tempted to get the soda from the store yesterday, I passed on it thinking of ths sugury grave i was drinking. Helped me to pass on it when i had thoughts like that. I shall try to endure the headaches that I know will start today or tomarrow and get passed that addiction. I know you can do it eventually and its a huge undertaking.

I will say this.. its not that i'm just up and quiting from drinking a few 2 liters a day (which i used to do). I had slowly widdeled it down to where I was drinking one 20 oz a day then one every other day. Now that i am starting this first challenge ever, I am going to actually try to be rid of it once and for all! I hope. cause they do call my name and are oh so tempting with thier lushious bubbles and mouth watering taste. but atlas I know that drinking a grave yard sounds horrible and I try to picutre that.. and so I am going to pass (i hope) on all my temptations.

We are endevoring on a new journey to be healthy and fit.. we rule!

Joy: Your amazing and thank you!!! I am so glad to be doing my frist challenge with someone that I can text or bother when temptation rares its ugly fat head at me and says come hither you beast you.. and i go all weak in the knees and the temptation beast goes.. come to me.. I shall satisfy your every craving.. and I go.. yes.. please.. but then you can slap me in my head and I will pull my sword out and fight the temption beast back.. hopefuly overpowering and making his dead shrival up and no longer be a bother to me. Maybe. I hope. LETS DO THIIS THING!!!

Joyness

Level 1

Strength: 2 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 2 | Constitution: 5 | Wisdom: 4 | Charisma: 1

Joy: Your amazing and thank you!!! I am so glad to be doing my frist challenge with someone that I can text or bother when temptation rares its ugly fat head at me and says come hither you beast you.. and i go all weak in the knees and the temptation beast goes.. come to me.. I shall satisfy your every craving.. and I go.. yes.. please.. but then you can slap me in my head and I will pull my sword out and fight the temption beast back.. hopefuly overpowering and making his dead shrival up and no longer be a bother to me. Maybe. I hope. LETS DO THIIS THING!!!

ROFL!!! I love it!! :D

Alas, the siren call of temptation shall not prevail!!! We shall kicketh it's booty!! KI-YAH!

Update: I haven't had a pop since Saturday and its now Thursday and since I picked up a half shift tomorrow I shall not be drinking it then(hopefully). I lost about a pound today... Cutting my massive hair off and all the wieght from it pulling my brain out of my skull!

I am going to go do some barbell lifts today! I hope I do we'll and that I stick with it. I am beating the beast if temptation back with my flimsy stick of wood as I don't have a sword yet!!!! I need to invest in one for this leveling up my life how else can I win a fight! Better weapons mean that the enemy can die faster!

Lets do this!!!

Joyness

Level 1

Update: I haven't had a pop since Saturday and its now Thursday and since I picked up a half shift tomorrow I shall not be drinking it then(hopefully). I lost about a pound today... Cutting my massive hair off and all the wieght from it pulling my brain out of my skull!

I am going to go do some barbell lifts today! I hope I do we'll and that I stick with it. I am beating the beast if temptation back with my flimsy stick of wood as I don't have a sword yet!!!! I need to invest in one for this leveling up my life how else can I win a fight! Better weapons mean that the enemy can die faster!

Lets do this!!!

Oh my gosh is THAT what that picture was?! I couldn't make out much cause of the crack on my phone screen but that makes sense!! Hmm, wonder if I could e-mail it to myself...

*3 minutes later* I feel dumb. I can e-mail myself pics from my phone so I can look @ them on the computer instead of on my broken phone. :P

WOW!!! :D SUPER CUTE!!!!! I love it!!! And it's so beautifully curly!!

6 days w/out a soda - WOOT!! Keep it up, hun, and you'll blow through the tough withdraw phase in no time!

Can't wait to hear how your workout went tonight! Hope Mr. Enthusiasm didn't push you too hard. *hugs*

Great job, Joy! 6 days is almost a whole week without soda! Soda addiction can be hard to kick!

One thing I like to do sometimes is make my own "soda" by getting sparkling water and adding flavored liquid stevia drops (find at health food store, or even Kroger!) and it is just like a soda. They even make "cola" flavored stevia! My favorite is to use the vanilla creme stevia and make "cream soda" with that. Helps fight sugar cravings AND ups my water intake! Double win!

I love all your goals! I have been struggling recently with making time for my daily quiet time in the Word and am working on that as well (even though it isn't a NF challenge goal!). It must be sooo much harder to find time when you have a 5 year old running around - but you can do it!

Level 1 Fae - Warrior at :love_heart:, training with the Adventurers

STR 1  |  DEX 1  |  STA 2  |  CON 4  |  WIS 5  |  CHA 3

First Challenge

Items: Fire Flower power up

Well yesterday I walked on the treadmill for about 15 mintues and that was fine, untill i started to push myself and then my shins started to hurt on my left leg.. so I slowed down. I do not need to be hurting myself.

My dear husband helped me with the weight lifting portion of it. I did 2 sets of 15 lifts of some sort with a 20lb bar over my head and then i did pull ups on a bar and then I did some dead lifts. I left feeling tired and good. I was proud of myself for doing it but today I am regretting takeing a half shift at work. My thighs burn and my butt is a little sore.. but I am so excited. I burned fat yesterday and I can do it agian.. just not today. I feel like I have rubber thighs *hahaha*.

I have not had a soda at all today and tomarrow it will be 1 week of no soda's! I am so thrilled! I have caved and had sweet tea but i figured it was less of the evils and that may be my next 6 week challenge.. i can only give up one drink at a time! Its been my saving grace though as when i crave a pop, I go and get a tea and though its not what I want, it is something with flavor and taste good.

I have no idea what i'm going to do tomarrow when I go to the Scarborough faire with my family adn have to walk all day. It hurts to do the walking I have to do at work. Maybe by tomarrow it wont hurt as bad... ?? hrm. I hope so. Cause walking is great for the body and hopefully for the fat to burn away. I need this extra protection to go away.. my real size 10 needs to show through!

Joyness

Level 1

I must say this, that yesterday while I was in the gym all my old self consciousness came out to play and when I walked I've to the wrights area I almost immediately turned to walk back out. I felt like a deer stuck in the headlights and struck barreling down on me as I looked at all the young guys lifting weights that was pretty much my actuall wieght. They looked like they were looking at me and saying "what's that fat girl doing over here" but they never actually said anything to me. For which I was greatful.

Have you ever been somewhere you just feel like you don't belong and that you made a wrong turn or ended up in the wrong class at school? That is how I felt. I was so gla that my brave knight in shinny glimmering sweat was there to protect me and urge me on. I will gladly do what someone tells me to do but it's hard for me to self motive. I will try to keep my hubby helping me to urge me on till I can feel confident that I actually know what I am doing and that my large stomach isn't going to hit someone's eye out as I do excerse.

I noticed that my husband has a lot of friends on here and I am so glad for him. I was slightly envious that he was on page five already in his thread but he did remind me that this is his fourth challenge ad have been in NF for a while so then I was like yes. I shall make friends too and try I not sound anti social when I work my 12 hour shifts.

I am going to do this and lose wieght an have lots of sun. On a good note I I'd actually lose a pound from cutting my hair! And my quads ache from the beat down they took yesterday. Good things lets just hope that ad I walk around the faire tomarrow that I do not face plant myself on the. Ground from utter weakness! Haha

Joyness

Level 1

Awww, thanks sweetie... btw, fire your phone for auto-correct fail, k?  I am your shinny knight ;)

Bah, you'll do fine!  It's just 20 acres of awesomeness :)  Besides, the best thing for DOMS, is to get moving :D

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Hello, my Joyfulness!! *hugs* I gotta remember to check in on your thread more often (it's weird cause it's like I chat w/ you, but I don't post... boo me! lol). You ROCKED your workout - I'm SO proud of you!! YAY JELLY LEGS!! That means you did something awesome for yourself!! I'm hoping it wasn't too difficult to go faire skipping though. ;)  Keep up the fantastic progress with your workouts and your lack of soda/pop intake!! You're taking on a couple of major players this challenge (sugar/caffeine addiction and the inactivity monster!) and so far you're kickin' tail and takin' names!!

So, honestly, what did you think about the exercises you were doing?

The fact that your butt was sore tells me that you were doing squats correctly (which is a WIN! Squats really do make the world go round - they are so much awesome!).

How did you "like" the deadlifts? I found that the form was a little strange, but once I got down into position (with my back arched instead of rounded) I was good to go. Can't wait to up the weight some tomorrow and see how I feel. :)

Inverted rows (the beginner's pull-up) are tough for me. It always feels like I can crank out tons in the beginning, but by the end of my sets I just can't keep pulling! It's weird! It's not like it hurts or even that it feels tired, but that I simply can't pull myself up. So strange. :P  One thing to be conscious about with Inverted rows, too, is try to target and use your back and the backs of your shoulders to pull, not just your arms. Try squeezing your shoulder blades together at the top - that helps me trigger those other muscles.

Squats are... squats. I love 'em. But that's just me. And they make me feel all sexy afterwards. >__> which I'm sure is weird... but it feels like my legs look better (even though I know they don't yet). And I know they're totally lifting my genetically flat booty. XD That's a total plus in my book.

And then there's the push-presses/OHP (ohp = over-hand press, which is what you were doing. I'm doing push-presses, which are OHPs with some oomph!). I don't know what to think about 'em yet. They're hard, but strangely not difficult.... if that makes sense. It's simple. Push bar over head. Lower. Repeat. But it's hard cause I'm not use to pushing things over my head! LOL! What'd you think of 'em?

Sorry this is so long... just wanted to gather what you thought about your workout now that it's over. And if you don't know on most of that... it's okay!! :)  First time was overwhelming for me, too. *hugs* Take care & I'll talk to ya later!

Squats are... squats. I love 'em. But that's just me. And they make me feel all sexy afterwards. >__> which I'm sure is weird... but it feels like my legs look better (even though I know they don't yet). And I know they're totally lifting my genetically flat booty. XD That's a total plus in my book.

And then there's the push-presses/OHP (ohp = over-hand press, which is what you were doing. I'm doing push-presses, which are OHPs with some oomph!). I don't know what to think about 'em yet. They're hard, but strangely not difficult.... if that makes sense. It's simple. Push bar over head. Lower. Repeat. But it's hard cause I'm not use to pushing things over my head! LOL! What'd you think of 'em?

I love squats too :) Hello, sexy bum (at least, I hope soon....). And I started doing push-presses last night. I agree with your "I don't know what to think of them yet." 

Level 1 Fae - Warrior at :love_heart:, training with the Adventurers

STR 1  |  DEX 1  |  STA 2  |  CON 4  |  WIS 5  |  CHA 3

First Challenge

Items: Fire Flower power up

Hello, my Joyfulness!! *hugs* I gotta remember to check in on your thread more often (it's weird cause it's like I chat w/ you, but I don't post... boo me! lol). You ROCKED your workout - I'm SO proud of you!! YAY JELLY LEGS!! That means you did something awesome for yourself!! I'm hoping it wasn't too difficult to go faire skipping though. ;)  Keep up the fantastic progress with your workouts and your lack of soda/pop intake!! You're taking on a couple of major players this challenge (sugar/caffeine addiction and the inactivity monster!) and so far you're kickin' tail and takin' names!!

So, honestly, what did you think about the exercises you were doing?

The fact that your butt was sore tells me that you were doing squats correctly (which is a WIN! Squats really do make the world go round - they are so much awesome!).

How did you "like" the deadlifts? I found that the form was a little strange, but once I got down into position (with my back arched instead of rounded) I was good to go. Can't wait to up the weight some tomorrow and see how I feel. :)

Inverted rows (the beginner's pull-up) are tough for me. It always feels like I can crank out tons in the beginning, but by the end of my sets I just can't keep pulling! It's weird! It's not like it hurts or even that it feels tired, but that I simply can't pull myself up. So strange. :tongue:  One thing to be conscious about with Inverted rows, too, is try to target and use your back and the backs of your shoulders to pull, not just your arms. Try squeezing your shoulder blades together at the top - that helps me trigger those other muscles.

Sorry this is so long... just wanted to gather what you thought about your workout now that it's over. And if you don't know on most of that... it's okay!! :)  First time was overwhelming for me, too. *hugs* Take care & I'll talk to ya later!

My take on the excersise so far: I must say that I loved the OHP, over head press. I think it has alot to do with the fact that I have more upper body strength then I do with my thighs. and I am the opposite of you cause i loved to do the interverted pull ups. It feels wierd for me to lean all the way back though. I am almost feel like i'm about to fall flat on my butt and that i'm putting alot of trust in a bar that I pray wont fall down! LOL. But as for the lifting myself up, I actually like that. I wasn't sure I would like any of the wieght lifting at all.. I never was good at them and never really thought I would be one of the gals to actually do them and here I am doing them. Yeah me!

I do not like squats.. i know that may sound horrible because you actually like them. I don't like them because i feel like i'm going to topple over and face plant myself and when I try to do the correct form my legs are killing me and I feel like i'm going to land on my butt or face at any moment.

Deadlifts were difficult. I think its cause my stomach gets in the way and I have a hard time keeping myself from using my back to pull up with. I will keep trying though and hopefully succeed at learning correct form and being able to do it without killing myself.

I know that my back wasnt hurting me at all the next day or three.. but my thighs.. oh my word. My husband said they were my quads.. so whatever, i knew there where there cause they hurt! I was so sore at work on Friday and then Sat. when we went to the Ren. Faire it hurt to take any stairs and walking hurt.. but i think sitting down hurt just as bad, the process of sitting, not sitting in and of it self. Sunday, they still hurt and as of Monday today, I have parts of my quads that are still hurting. I have done some more squats and trying to stretch my legs out. I hope to be able to do something about this pain. I know I didn't pull or snap anything cause its not a constant pain but its a constant pain when i move! lol.. oh wells. I am going to do them agian though and not let this get me down.  

I love squats too :) Hello, sexy bum (at least, I hope soon....). And I started doing push-presses last night. I agree with your "I don't know what to think of them yet." 

I hope to one day have your love for squats, but atlas I do not. I think I wont mind you doing them for me... and if it worked that way I would so let you do them for me! haha.

SO as far as the Ren faire went. It was great fun to be had and I actually was able to purchase clothes that fit me!! Which is hard to do when your not skinny or average or even just large. I will build onto this dress to accessorize it and add color. My next big purchase that I'll be saving up for is a corset to go with it.... so i will add color through that! I am so excited that i'm losing weight.

I started my challange at 253... as of this morning i was 248. I know its not much.. but its something.. and I hope to keep going in the right direction.

As far as my soda is going. I must admit I had two sips of orange fanta Yesterday when we went out to eat and you know.. i really didn't want to finish it! I loved the taste but after two sips.. I was done. So I drank my sons tea instead.. he ended up with two drinks and wasn't in need of it. I do still have the craving for coke cola but I think after yesterday it will be a little easier to say no. I am killing this thing!! At least I think so, even though I did hear the temptation calling my name and I started to subcomb to it. I heard the sexy beast of soda calling my name and I fell into a trance and my cup became full of orange fanta soda... i then sat down and my lips took a sip of the sweet tasting soda but my brain screamed at me and after falturing in my fight.. and having been knocked down by the beast of tempation,I raised up and grabbed my sword and told it that I didn't need it. I didn't need the taste or the tempation.. and I was able to chase it back..into the dark forest of evilness. Where I left it, cowardly running away from me. Oh it was laughing when I was falturing but I overcame!

I can do this thing. I am working today.. so no gym today. But I am going to go home and do dumbbell excersises and some evil squats! And tomarrow when i have a half day I am going to go to the gym with my Knight (blamedcat).

I wonder though.. are we suppose to have DOMS for three or four days after we excerise? and if not what am I suppose to do about it? wait until is stops hurting? excerise the next day anyways through the pain? not sure what to do as i never had it hurt this long before or this badly.. I am TOTALLy out of shape.. well unless you call round a shape then I'm in good shape :D

Not only are you kicking it on the goals, you are entertaining too! Keep it up!

Thanks! I never thought I would be entertaining.. must be my clown personality :D Thanks for the encouragement though! I need it!... and I love your post too.. you are donig a great job yourself.! I wish i knew more about photography to have an input.. but I do love seeing photos and taking them of my kids! They are fun.

Joyness

Level 1

Hey there! I'm so sorry I missed your thread somehow!!! I must comment!! Hehe.

First, about your challenge: it looks great! One day with the iron and the rest with dumbbells? Great idea! For me, having a very specific and measured plan helps because I get to cross things off lists. :) I know what 12 hour shifts feel like I used to full-time it as an EMT, and you nurses have it way worse! As times go on everything will feel better and you'll feel like you have a billion levels of energy :)

About soda: it looks like you're doing great with this too! Give yourself some slack, you've been drinking soda forever! But honestly after stopping for awhile you will find that two sips really is enough and your cravings will subside. The body and the mind do funny things to you, everything gets easier and it's amazing how much you can accomplish in just six short weeks!

About DOMS and squats: I'm the same way with upper body exercises, I find them more entertaining (except deadlifts and power cleans, I LOVE THEM!) but squats really aren't my favorite thing in the world. I find them really difficult.

BUT I will say that when I started Steve's Barbell Battalion I was sore for about four weeks straight. My boyfriend thought I was going crazy lol. It actually turned out that I needed to eat more carbs so I had just one sweet potato after each workout with some gatorade and that started to really help. Eating bananas and strawberries help too!!!!!!!

But DOMS will stop, it won't be forever and you didn't hurt yourself--your body just isn't used to taking the "abuse" you put it through at the gym. Be patient with it and try and work through it as best you can. Once your body gets used to the exercises you're doing it'll stop freaking out, scout's honor :D

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

*hugs* Squats are evil in the beginning, but as your body gets used to them, then I believe you may come to enjoy the challenge they propose. ;) of course, I could be wrong and you may hate them for the rest of your life. *shrug* one never knows... 

In regards to the DOMS, I honestly think we (BC & I) may have pushed you a little too hard on your first time. And for that, I'm sorry.

Upon further discussion with your Knight, we've come to the conclusion that you should hold off on deadlifts for now in favor of learning balance and solidifying good form on squats. More doesn't always equal better. I have to remind myself of this quite often.

Mkay, so last time you did 15x2 body weight squats, 20x8x3 dumbbell OHP (10/hand), 15x3 inverted rows @ chest-height, & 45x8x2 deadlifts.

I think your next gym session could look something like this: (these are possible #s to strive for...)

squats: 15/10/5 (15 the first circuit, 10 the second circuit, 5 the last circuit) -- don't wear yourself out too much on your first and second circuits, I want you to step it up and do one more circuit with these! If you can push for more squats on circuit #3, then go for it! :) Listen to your body - you want to still be able to walk after this, after all. ;)

OHP: I don't know what the next increment of weight is on your dumbbells, but you'll probably want 12-13lbs per hand since you blew through 10 like a boss! 12.5x8x3 (stick to only doing 8 reps per circuit - we want strength & power, not size!)

inv rows: 8x3 at the lowest bar height you can manage! Try one setting down for the first circuit - if you can blow 8 away easily, then next circuit lower the bar, etc.

planks: "as long as you can hold" x3  -- don't worry about holding for a certain # of seconds just yet - try just holding as long as you can. And I mean really put some effort into holding yourself up. BC can show you how to do these, but they're amazing for core (3 cheers for no crunches!) and stabilizer muscles and will help you keep your balance with your squats. Yes, they suck. Yes, they are hand and even breathing becomes a concerted effort in the beginning. Do yourself a favor and don't count. ;) Focus on staying up and breathing.

Do circuits of squats, OHP, inv rows, planks, rest 1-2 min, repeat x3. I did circuit work when I first got back into working out and it helped a LOT. You don't have to worry about rushing, but try not to take too much of a rest between the different exercises. If you want to rearrange the order, that's fine too. Nothing else, go kids song on it! "Head, shoulders, knees and toes..." (head = inv rows [cause you're looking up at the bar? yeah... that's it...], shoulders = OHP, knees = squats, toes = planks)

Just some suggestions. :) *hugs* you're doing SO WELL!! And I think the 2 sips of soda is a WIN in that you found out that there really isn't anything GOOD that you're missing by not drinking it. WOOT!

Hey there! I'm so sorry I missed your thread somehow!!! I must comment!! Hehe.

First, about your challenge: it looks great! One day with the iron and the rest with dumbbells? Great idea! For me, having a very specific and measured plan helps because I get to cross things off lists. :) I know what 12 hour shifts feel like I used to full-time it as an EMT, and you nurses have it way worse! As times go on everything will feel better and you'll feel like you have a billion levels of energy :)

About soda: it looks like you're doing great with this too! Give yourself some slack, you've been drinking soda forever! But honestly after stopping for awhile you will find that two sips really is enough and your cravings will subside. The body and the mind do funny things to you, everything gets easier and it's amazing how much you can accomplish in just six short weeks!

About DOMS and squats: I'm the same way with upper body exercises, I find them more entertaining (except deadlifts and power cleans, I LOVE THEM!) but squats really aren't my favorite thing in the world. I find them really difficult.

BUT I will say that when I started Steve's Barbell Battalion I was sore for about four weeks straight. My boyfriend thought I was going crazy lol. It actually turned out that I needed to eat more carbs so I had just one sweet potato after each workout with some gatorade and that started to really help. Eating bananas and strawberries help too!!!!!!!

But DOMS will stop, it won't be forever and you didn't hurt yourself--your body just isn't used to taking the "abuse" you put it through at the gym. Be patient with it and try and work through it as best you can. Once your body gets used to the exercises you're doing it'll stop freaking out, scout's honor :D

Surge supra, its a pleasure to meet you! And thanks for the encouragment! I wish I was a nurse,I am the other important person, the registar person who collects the money so the nurses and doctors get paid and I make sure we have all the correct information on them. I love the job, but its busy. I have to chase patients around between the nurses and doctors and radiology and everything else they may have to have done. I love the job but not so thrilled with the long days and working out on those days.

What are Power Cleans? and how would one do those? I loved doing the dead lifts sorta.. just that my stomach seemed to get in the way as i'm quite large and had a little difficult time getting the bar to go back down where its suppose to. I find squats to be hard cause i'm so off balanced cause my rolls of fat on the stomach gets in the way of a good squat and to get down low and back up is hard to do when the front is pushing you to topple over, but I know its good for me.. probably, maybe. ok it has to be eventually good for me. :D

Carbs.. that is a good idea. I Shall try that. I mean i did try to do more excersise and stretches with my quads but they hurt soo bad. I thought they were going to rip apart, or that i was going to fall on my face with every step I took. I will give carbs a good try and see if that doesnt help to keep the massive hurtful doms at bay. I understand and expected some sorness but I had never felt that way before except when I was giving birth to my kids. and i knew that wasn't going on and with a baby at least I knew it would end as soon as they were born. I didn''t know if this would every end. LOL

In regards to the DOMS, I honestly think we (BC & I) may have pushed you a little too hard on your first time. And for that, I'm sorry.

Upon further discussion with your Knight, we've come to the conclusion that you should hold off on deadlifts for now in favor of learning balance and solidifying good form on squats. More doesn't always equal better. I have to remind myself of this quite often.

I think your next gym session could look something like this: (these are possible #s to strive for...)

squats: 15/10/5 (15 the first circuit, 10 the second circuit, 5 the last circuit) -- don't wear yourself out too much on your first and second circuits, I want you to step it up and do one more circuit with these! If you can push for more squats on circuit #3, then go for it! :) Listen to your body - you want to still be able to walk after this, after all. ;)

OHP: I don't know what the next increment of weight is on your dumbbells, but you'll probably want 12-13lbs per hand since you blew through 10 like a boss! 12.5x8x3 (stick to only doing 8 reps per circuit - we want strength & power, not size!)

inv rows: 8x3 at the lowest bar height you can manage! Try one setting down for the first circuit - if you can blow 8 away easily, then next circuit lower the bar, etc.

planks: "as long as you can hold" x3  -- don't worry about holding for a certain # of seconds just yet - try just holding as long as you can. And I mean really put some effort into holding yourself up. BC can show you how to do these, but they're amazing for core (3 cheers for no crunches!) and stabilizer muscles and will help you keep your balance with your squats. Yes, they suck. Yes, they are hand and even breathing becomes a concerted effort in the beginning. Do yourself a favor and don't count. ;) Focus on staying up and breathing.

I think the deadlifts is what did it.. i am not used to using my quads and then i did squats and then dead lifts and the thing i kept thinking about this week was that between the squats and deadlifts there was alot of down time cause someone was using the bar for the dead lifts and i couldn't go from one to the other and my muscles may have gotten cold by then and not been nice and warmed up?.. just my thoughts.. and then putting all that weight besides my already overweight self on those quads may have added to the DOMS. I think that avoiding that for now and doing more carbs may help. I'll try and see how it goes.

I'm not sure I can even do a plank.. I can try but the last time i tried my stomach got in the way and i felt like i was more laying on the ground then planking cause my stomach was on the ground.. i was also a little pregnant at the time so that may have had something to do with it. I shall try and see what happens.Tonight I'll be doing the dumbells and then thursday hitting the gym.

ON a happier note, My son actually kissed me with puckered up lips! Normally he just opened his mouth and leaned his head towards yours and called that kissing *lol*. My 17 month old (1yr and 5 month old) is learning! I would say that the 5 yr old learned that too but she has known how to do it for a long while *hehe*.

I feel great not having soda, but at the same time i feel like an ostrach with my head stuck in the ground trying to avoid them. Cause the temptation is great! Its like seeing a nice peice of shinny and getting distracted and without even realizing it, your hand starts to reach for the nice shiny and before you know it. you have it inyour hand and your entire rp group is dead.. but you got the shinny!, Seems like what i am going through with soda pop.. its this nice shinny that i must have and i want it and i dont take it.. and Sunday before i knew it, I had taken it.. and i was fortunate that this time it wasn't deadly to the clan/guild/family/me. I shall try to do this and do it right.. one week down, 5 more to go! I can do it!! I already did it for a week.

Joyness

Level 1

On a side note... YEAH!!! I am on page two now! ANd its not all just me talking! (though my husband did tell me i ramble too much and should make my posts shorter cause i'm talking and probably a bore and would make people not want to bother reading what I am writing. So wiht that said.. this post shall be sort.. (possibly the shortest I shall ever have, we shall see.) Mwahahahahahhahaha!

Joyness

Level 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines