• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

eliz

Emergency Paleo

I have experimented several times with paleo-ish diets, and I love how this style of eating makes me feel. My difficulty in sticking with it (to the extent that I'd like to) is not related to hunger or cravings, but just the practical aspect of having to always plan meals and snacks in advance. Most spaces in the U.S. are not really set up to accommodate a diet free of grains and sugar - you don't see a lot of paleo-friendly vending machine snacks, for instance. 

My question to those more experienced is: what do you do in a "paleo emergency"? Like, say you didn't have time to get groceries or cook on Sunday, and now it's Monday and you're at your office with no food and really can't spend that much time thinking about what you're going to eat or prepare anything... What are your go-tos in this scenario?

This happened to me yesterday and my solution was to eat only cantaloupe (free at the office) for breakfast, and then hold out and try not to be hungry until it was time to go out for my lunch salad. I feel like this could have been handled better, though, and I know "emergencies" like this are a big trigger for me to fall off the wagon. I do my best to prevent them in the first place, but I'd love some suggestions for how to deal in the inevitable occasions that I've failed to plan ahead.

LOL I was seriously thinking about posting this exact thread.

I just found out at WaWa (made to order food) they have tuna salad in their made to order section "deli selections" I guess.  Turns out you can have them make it ilke a wrap- with no bread!  so I just make my tuna wrap in a bowl w/ no wrap.  For me tomato- pickles, lettuce and onion.

They also sell hard boiled eggs- which I will happily eat.  (even if they are rubbery and over cooked)

Second choice- Panchero's- it's across from my gym- they do Mexican fresh- kind of like subway- so I have a burrito bowl made- extra meat and veggies with salsa and lettuce and pico de gallo- no rice or beans.  it's as close to "healthy fast food" as I get.

I also just go to the grocery store- but I actually find that harder than ordering fast food and picking something apart.  nothing in the freezer is healthy- it's just crap fast foods with "healthy choice" written on it.  its' not really a healthy choice.  <barf>

I buy bagged nuts- or a little precut veggies and hummus (I know that's not true paleo- but it's an allowable food in my world)

I have been really diligient about bringing enough food- because when I don't- it's so ugly and I get so annoyed that I"m SO hungry and I can't find anything to eat.

I am REALLY interested to hear what other people do!!!

I keep a bunch of tuna packets of star kist tuna in sunflower oil in my desk for emergencies. Most of the time, it keeps me from going out and eating the abundance of crap in the building - we have like 17 eating establishments in this building (that might be a low number, in fact) but they're mostly fast food, and I can only eat so many salads before I go nuts. It helps. But sometimes, I end up just getting that cupcake that I keep walking past and smelling, or grabbing the not-quite-paleo beef jerky from the CVS upstairs, or something else not quite great for me. I try not to beat myself up over it - its better than being hungry (when you can't concentrate on anything but hunger, are you really at your best productivity-wise?), and I jump right back in at the next meal.

I have a tin of tuna, a tin of chicken, and walnuts in my drawer.  I can get a banana at a vending stand. 

You can always fast through a meal as long as you are fat burning. 

Is there no place near your office?  If not, make a "for emergencies" stash but don't use it for snacking.... cause then you wont have it for emergency...

LOL I was seriously thinking about posting this exact thread.

I just found out at WaWa (made to order food) they have tuna salad in their made to order section "deli selections" I guess.  Turns out you can have them make it ilke a wrap- with no bread!  so I just make my tuna wrap in a bowl w/ no wrap.  For me tomato- pickles, lettuce and onion.

They also sell hard boiled eggs- which I will happily eat.  (even if they are rubbery and over cooked)

Second choice- Panchero's- it's across from my gym- they do Mexican fresh- kind of like subway- so I have a burrito bowl made- extra meat and veggies with salsa and lettuce and pico de gallo- no rice or beans.  it's as close to "healthy fast food" as I get.

I also just go to the grocery store- but I actually find that harder than ordering fast food and picking something apart.  nothing in the freezer is healthy- it's just crap fast foods with "healthy choice" written on it.  its' not really a healthy choice.  <barf>

I buy bagged nuts- or a little precut veggies and hummus (I know that's not true paleo- but it's an allowable food in my world)

I have been really diligient about bringing enough food- because when I don't- it's so ugly and I get so annoyed that I"m SO hungry and I can't find anything to eat.

I am REALLY interested to hear what other people do!!!

This was always my go to when I was harder core. Wawas are nicer versions of 7-eleven type shops in the philadelphia/south jersey/delaware/maryland area.

yeah- i really hate the way they taste- they are overcooked to my liking- but they do get the job done. 

I'm THRILLED to know I can get a "tuna wrap" in a bowl with no bread.  Makes me super happy.

WaWa and Sheetz- they are AMAHAZING.  WaWa is officially all over- they have some up north in North Jersey (well- "north" for them to us it's like semi-North) and all the way to Altoona (well that's officially the mother of all WaWa's since that's where they were born) and that's pretty far West.

They also have a bunch in Florida of all places- they like skipped the middle area (probably b/c of sheetz) and went straight to FL.  YAY for WaWa :D

i'm slowly transitioning to paleo.  my first step was cutting out bread.  When i started, i made a list of all of the places around me that i usually frequented.  i then wrote down what, if any, of the food there met my goals.  any place that didn't, was just off my list of places to go.  i'd then sick to whatever was on my list if i needed to go somewhere.

These are great ideas so far. I think it will be key to have an "emergency stash" at work that is separate from planned snacks. To answer others' questions, I do work in a large building/retail complex that has a variety of fast food/fast casual places, but it's not always easy to go and grab something paleo-approved... first because this place is HUGE and just walking down to the food court can be a 20 minute roundtrip, and second because there are not a ton of obvious paleo food choices (especially pre-lunch).

i'm slowly transitioning to paleo.  my first step was cutting out bread.  When i started, i made a list of all of the places around me that i usually frequented.  i then wrote down what, if any, of the food there met my goals.  any place that didn't, was just off my list of places to go.  i'd then sick to whatever was on my list if i needed to go somewhere.

I love this idea too.

yeah- i really hate the way they taste- they are overcooked to my liking- but they do get the job done. 

I'm THRILLED to know I can get a "tuna wrap" in a bowl with no bread.  Makes me super happy.

WaWa and Sheetz- they are AMAHAZING.  WaWa is officially all over- they have some up north in North Jersey (well- "north" for them to us it's like semi-North) and all the way to Altoona (well that's officially the mother of all WaWa's since that's where they were born) and that's pretty far West.

They also have a bunch in Florida of all places- they like skipped the middle area (probably b/c of sheetz) and went straight to FL.  YAY for WaWa :D

They went to FL because of Phillies spring training. But yeah, they aren't in "North Jersey" much, used to live up there and I know where the last wawa is.

These are great ideas so far. I think it will be key to have an "emergency stash" at work that is separate from planned snacks. To answer others' questions, I do work in a large building/retail complex that has a variety of fast food/fast casual places, but it's not always easy to go and grab something paleo-approved... first because this place is HUGE and just walking down to the food court can be a 20 minute roundtrip, and second because there are not a ton of obvious paleo food choices (especially pre-lunch).

Most lunch and fast food places have fresh or pre-made salads. See if you can get them with grilled chicken and without dressings or bread crumbs/cheese. Add tuna, olive oil, hot sauce from your desk.

Or ask for any non fried sandwich with lettuce instead of a bread and no cheese and spreads.

They went to FL because of Phillies spring training. But yeah, they aren't in "North Jersey" much, used to live up there and I know where the last wawa is.

THAT i didn't know- and we were a 3rd party contractor for them. Cool.  I think they are building like 50-70 of them down there.  

There are like 5 up north now.  YAY!!!!  (all the way up by Exit what is that- shit um 11... yeah Exit 11- where the TP crosses the GSP.  A few more scattered east and west- but I think that's the most northernly one I can remember- there was an article about it in the papers actually because it was such a big deal hey went that far North!

I deal with this on home visit days (like today!).  I am on the road all day on home visit days, and I can't afford to eat out all the time.  I have a insulated cooler bag and I basically throw in some variety of the following: fruit, cut up veggies, hard-boiled eggs, canned tuna, nuts, leftover shredded meat like beef or pork, cold cooked chicken, etc.

In a true emergency, when I have nothing packed, it helps to know where the grocery stores are. Again, I can't afford to spend $6 or $8 on a crappy fast food salad, but I can spend a couple bucks at a grocery store, and usually end up with more food, and better food.  Hannafords around here sell Larabars individually.  Those have saved me on more than one occasion.  I definitely don't recommend eating them as part of a regular diet as they are super calorie dense and high in carbs from the dried fruit, but if you're stuck and can't eat real food for hours, Larabars can work in a pinch to keep you from eating something off-plan.  Also, most groceries have cut up fruit and veg.  And there's always deli meat as a last resort.  Some of the turkey or ham luncheon meats are just meat, salt, and herbs.  I noticed our deli at Hannaford now has individual hard boiled eggs for sale too...definitely going to remember that the next time I need emergency food.

Today I just had an apple and a handful of macadamia nuts at midday to tide me over until I got home.  My home visits are throughout towns in my coverage area, so by now I know all the grocery stores and restaurants around my routes, and I know what I can get where.  That helps.  :)

You can buy yuenling beer in FL too... Just sayin

Um stating obvious but if you go the "buy it at a chain bc I'm totally desperate" route, the bun/bread is always removable.

And here's a crazy thought: order that shizzle w out a bun and without condiments.

I miss Panchero's.  I used to live in Iowa City and I ahd only ever seen Panchero's there and I think in Madison WI.  Used to be huge burritos for very little money.  I didn't drink, but all my friends who did said best drunk food ever heh.

You can buy yuenling beer in FL too... Just sayin

DUDE OMFG;... I was in RI this weekend- and I tried to order a lager and they didn't EFFING HAVE IT.  I was like- seriously!!! we are NOT that far away.   She pretty much only had IPA's and piss beer (I hate IPA)... I went with what she gave me- but I should have just ordered a damn glass of wine like a dork.  Sigh oh well.  I was so irritated- I didn't realize how much I love my LingLing :D

Um stating obvious but if you go the "buy it at a chain bc I'm totally desperate" route, the bun/bread is always removable.

And here's a crazy thought: order that shizzle w out a bun and without condiments.

I hate doing that- mostly b/c they charge you so much for the same shit and you get less.  But yes- that's totally an option.  But that's why I like Moe's or Panchero's or subway- or WaWa where you can get it made to order- not just tweak the order or pay for you know- a big sammich you can't actually eat.  Plus many people don't have the self discipline to NOT eat it.  I am damn good about bread- and sometimes I'll nibble on it if it's right in front of me. 

I miss Panchero's.  I used to live in Iowa City and I ahd only ever seen Panchero's there and I think in Madison WI.  Used to be huge burritos for very little money.  I didn't drink, but all my friends who did said best drunk food ever heh.

yeah- it is.. it's like 6.45 for a burrito bowl. Depending on whose running the register depends on if they charge me extra for the extra meat/extra veg so sometimes I pay for 12$ worth of food- which I haven't learned to ration yet LOL.   oh well. super tasty- it's right across from my gym.

even worse there is a cold stones there- it literally shares a wall with the gym- and yes- I've walked from the gym to cold stones- to get a medium dark chocolate peppermint disaster thing and walked back to the gym to work the front desk with it.  I'm an ass. I know.  

DUDE OMFG;... I was in RI this weekend- and I tried to order a lager and they didn't EFFING HAVE IT.  I was like- seriously!!! we are NOT that far away.   She pretty much only had IPA's and piss beer (I hate IPA)... I went with what she gave me- but I should have just ordered a damn glass of wine like a dork.  Sigh oh well.  I was so irritated- I didn't realize how much I love my LingLing :D

MA rebel here and it is freaking impossible to find yuenling... pretty sure there is some regulation stopping it from being imported here.  Honestly though it is one of those beers that I know isn't really that good, it's frankly mediocre, and I absolutely love it!

Oh and I dislike IPAs as well, there are a select few that are good but in general I will order any other type of beer first before resorting to getting an IPA.

Alright well... now that I have beer talk out of my system what is this thread about?  Paleo... right, umm...

I keep a good healthy salad dressing in my desk at work, and if I ever find myself without lunch I go to the convenience store near me and have them whip me up a big greek salad (sans feta) with their grilled chicken.  Then I bring it back and add my own salad dressing... pretty much the same thing I would make myself normally just costing 4x as much... so I am always kicking myself when I have to resort to that haha.  The other option is to just skip the meal... which I normally end up doing in that case.

Yeah it's my "go to beer" it's 15 for the 24 pack and it's just easy.  I'm almost not drinking beer at all at this point- it's maybe a 1 or 2x a month single beer for me.  I definitely am drifting to wine (and it's even then 1 glass LOL).  I like craft beers- and mircro-brew beers- always trying new things (well we were- but I tapered off and my roommie just got a DUI- so yeah- the beer drinking has been wacked back tremendously!)

IPA's taste like grapefruit to me??? I don't get it- but I dislike the hoppy taste. my roomie loves Dogfish Head IPA. Barf. I won't order it if it's all they have- I just seriously dislike them- pure waste of money for me. I don't NEED a beer ever that I have to drink something I don't like.  

Oh back on track- that sounds super tasty. I need to eat more salads- I like them... I just hate all that stuff going bad b/c I don't eat them every day!!!

NO!  not back on track.  More lager talk!  Years ago when my dad visited he said he wanted a solid, easy local beer.  Me:  order a lager when the waiter comes.  Dad:  he won't know what type I want  Me:  oh, he'll know..... Dad:  how?  Me:  it's Philly.  LOL.  I often forget when I'm traveling and order a lager and the waiter/waitress stands there dumbfounded.  D'oh!

And as for the food.

I just went to WaWa..... ha ha ha ha

Lol- yup. moving from CA- when people told me that- I didn't understand.  I've been here for 6 years.

I understand now.  :)

yup- and that's exacxtly what I did in RI- I want a lager.  shitfuckstick this isn't PA. LMAO.

back to YAY WAWA... it's the sun the moon and the stars- well next to Chima's.  I love chima's.

you have any weekend thingies you're doing in May?  I feel like we should go do things and pick heavy things up or something!!!  Needs to meet moar people.  :)

Lol- yup. moving from CA- when people told me that- I didn't understand.  I've been here for 6 years.

I understand now.   :)

yup- and that's exacxtly what I did in RI- I want a lager.  shitfuckstick this isn't PA. LMAO.

back to YAY WAWA... it's the sun the moon and the stars- well next to Chima's.  I love chima's.

you have any weekend thingies you're doing in May?  I feel like we should go do things and pick heavy things up or something!!!  Needs to meet moar people.   :)

ahhh the I-Jo/cline lovefest threadjack.

We shall go to WaWa and then order lagers.....

I have the CMC in May.  Woot!

Love all the WaWa and Yuengling love. I missed both so much when I moved to Texas. Being in MD has been wonderful for both.

As for emergency snacks, I keep nuts, fruit, and a jar of almond butter at my desk/in the office fridge. On the road I look to Elevation Burger (they do lettuce instead of buns and the beef is 100% grass-fed), bit more expensive than typical fastfood but better priced than some things. Chipotle isn't terrible, but if you're being strict it could be a problem.

ahhh the I-Jo/cline lovefest threadjack.

We shall go to WaWa and then order lagers.....

I have the CMC in May.  Woot!

<3 <3  <3

swoon

yeah- officially we jacked the emergency paleo snack thread into DRINK MORE BEER AND GO TO WAWA (which you can't order beer from here in Jersey!!!)  

Hmmm let me google.  I'm having a dinner get together at Cous Cous next weekend or the following- BUT I think I'm going to wind up with like 6 or 7 people now- and that's pretty much capacity for the tables unless you get two tables.  And I wasn't sure if you liked Morrocan food... or wanted to come into the diry jersz LOL

On the road I look to Elevation Burger (they do lettuce instead of buns and the beef is 100% grass-fed)

That's probably the coolest thing I've read today- mostly because I didn't know ANY of that- and there is one at the mall near my house- which means I really need to go- because I have been dying for a burger for a while- and the last one I had... hmm I went to Friendly's and pulled the bun off- it was meh.  I wrapped it up in the lettuce they gave me- but it would be great to try grass fed!

THANK YOU!  :)