• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

eliz

Emergency Paleo

I keep cans of tuna, almonds, apples, almond butter, and a couple sweet potatoes at work.  I don't have a microwave at home so microwaved sweet potato on workout days is my favorite thing in the world sometimes. Tuna is my frequent go-to choice though. 

Elevation Burger is probably the only reason the boy and I managed a Whole30. We tend to get hit with the cooking-lazy rather hard, so during the tough days it was great. If you're in NOVA area, keep an eye out for Busboys and Poets. I think they have one in Arlington? We go to the one in Hyattsville, MD a lot. They're super friendly about food allergies and diets, and also have mostly grass-fed/organic stuff on the menu. Also, the sweet potato fries are fantastic.

mmmhmm I <3 sweet potato fries

nom nom nom

yeah- we wind up doing the I go out and get a steak on lazy days- which is just as expensive as buying- but it's all that fraking cooking!!! LOL

I have a stash of a nut/seed mix in my desk drawer for protein  and tend to have dried fruit as well for when I crave something sweet. Out an about any burrito place will make you a bowl with just lettuce/meat/veggies as well and it will still be big enough you don't feel gyped.

(there, talked about emergency food, now to talk about beer)

I also love that I can go anywhere in town and order a lager :) Though to be honest I do mostly have been drinking Kenzinger lately, in the bar, across the street from where its been brewed, 5 minutes from my house. It may be a mediocre beer, but you can't beet that level of freshness! Philly is an awesome beer town, sadly beer is on my "maybe on the weekend" list of things. Very sadly as I'm also a homebrewer!

I have a stash of a nut/seed mix in my desk drawer for protein  and tend to have dried fruit as well for when I crave something sweet. Out an about any burrito place will make you a bowl with just lettuce/meat/veggies as well and it will still be big enough you don't feel gyped.

(there, talked about emergency food, now to talk about beer)

I also love that I can go anywhere in town and order a lager :) Though to be honest I do mostly have been drinking Kenzinger lately, in the bar, across the street from where its been brewed, 5 minutes from my house. It may be a mediocre beer, but you can't beet that level of freshness! Philly is an awesome beer town, sadly beer is on my "maybe on the weekend" list of things. Very sadly as I'm also a homebrewer!

LAGER!  ha ha ha this is the lager thread now. 

Actually, I loves me a Kenzinger and I'll tell you why - it's a session beer and has low ABV which means less carbs!!! woot.

Homebrewer, eh?  Ever try to clone LAGER???? ha ha ha

Actually, I loves me a Kenzinger and I'll tell you why - it's a session beer and has low ABV which means less carbs!!! woot.

Haha, no, no I haven't. We have a low ABV cheap blonde we do that would be the closest. Usually we do big IPAs, belgians and we have a smoked maple porter that is excellent when it gets some age on it (I have a maple syrup in, currently have about 2 gallons of the stuff and another gallon at my Mom's)

Hate to break it to you but there is no correlation at all between alcohol content and carbohydrate content... alcohol is not a carb, and is not handled or processed like one by the body.  Take a look at this chart (http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm)... there are huge variations between ABV and carb counts.

Edit: Now with 100% more added chart.

chart?  added/edited.  Me no- see-ey

oh- damn I bet it's my computer/work blocking it.

God damnit.

more lager less of this IPA rubbish!

chart?  added/edited.  Me no- see-ey

oh- damn I bet it's my computer/work blocking it.

God damnit.

Heh, have I confused you enough yet :P

Imma just stop all of this Lager/IPA arguing right now and say, who's excited that Sam Summer is back on tap? :D

Heh, have I confused you enough yet :tongue:

Imma just stop all of this Lager/IPA arguing right now and say, who's excited that Sam Summer is back on tap? :D

Heck with Sam Summer, its time to be drinking Troeg's Sunshine Pils!

Sorry, but I love me a good IPA. Wheat beers on the other hand are not my cup of tea. BLECH!

Elevation Burger is probably the only reason the boy and I managed a Whole30. We tend to get hit with the cooking-lazy rather hard, so during the tough days it was great. If you're in NOVA area, keep an eye out for Busboys and Poets. I think they have one in Arlington? We go to the one in Hyattsville, MD a lot. They're super friendly about food allergies and diets, and also have mostly grass-fed/organic stuff on the menu. Also, the sweet potato fries are fantastic.

I've never been to Busboys and Poets, but good to know. I unfortunately live along the Blue line, so Orange line corridor / Shirlington don't get my love often because they're not as convenient :)

Heh, have I confused you enough yet :tongue:

I DO love Sam's- but I really dislike their wheats. cherry wheat?  I seriously dont' GET IT.  It's disgusting.  no no no- my summer beer is lager- Corona (fresh salsa and corona- I have VERY happy memories- which means I like it even if it's a cheap ass piss beer- it's my favorite)

Heck with Sam Summer, its time to be drinking Troeg's Sunshine Pils!

Sorry, but I love me a good IPA. Wheat beers on the other hand are not my cup of tea. BLECH!

Trogernator is Super good- 3 philosophers.

Yeah IPA taste's like grapefruit to me. It's just so icky.

You know what I picked up on a whim that was AWESOME. it's some sort of nautical themed beer- Heavy Seas or something- it comes in a variety pack- its' super tasty. 

Cherry wheat is a bit too sweet, it has it's moments but I'd treat it more like wine when I want to pair it with something... and yah, Sam doesn't make a very good wheat beer imo, there are much better brands if that is more your cup of whiskey.  Personally I love wheat beer but it is in a whole different category and isn't very comparable to your barley base ales/lagers.

omg I go to a meeting and there are a thousand beer posts here!

I hate wheat beer now for now good reason other than I just do.  I also really grew intolerant of American obsession with extra hoppy beers (which spousal unit luuuuuvvves).  I love porters, stouts, and am into malty beers lately.  although drank a strawberyy abita last night which was oddly tasty.

Hate to break it to you but there is no correlation at all between alcohol content and carbohydrate content... alcohol is not a carb, and is not handled or processed like one by the body.  Take a look at this chart (http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm)... there are huge variations between ABV and carb counts.

Edit: Now with 100% more added chart.

aha I was clearly confusing carbs and calories.  Interesting.  Is my little go to chart now. 

Well... a better GoTo chart for what to drink if you really want to focus on losing weight... http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Compares the ABV to total calories and gives you the lowest calorie drinks that will get you drunk haha, even gives you carb info too!  Selection of beers on there isn't quite as good though, so the two combined may be necessary.

I've never been to Busboys and Poets, but good to know. I unfortunately live along the Blue line, so Orange line corridor / Shirlington don't get my love often because they're not as convenient :)

There is one in DC, so it's 3 locations altogether. I think it's in a somewhat inconvenient area though.

Well... a better GoTo chart for what to drink if you really want to focus on losing weight... http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Compares the ABV to total calories and gives you the lowest calorie drinks that will get you drunk haha, even gives you carb info too!  Selection of beers on there isn't quite as good though, so the two combined may be necessary.

nerds... I luv 'em!  beer data for health!  CHEERS!