Radialgirl tests the waters

radialgirl

So after kinda lurking for a few months, I decided to just up and join the community today! Just my luck I'm still in time to join this challenge!

So a little about me. I'm a competitive sailor, currently in training for Canada Summer Games this August. Unfortunately I have been dealing with a rather nasty stress-induced muscle injury affecting my hip flexors/glutes/lower back since last summer. Fortunately, I have a deep interest in investing in my mental training, including a focus on positivity, imagery techniques, regular training log etc. This has absolutely saved me from complete demoralization! I have finally been able to find a fantastic combination of physio techniques that are actually helping to heal me. At my last training camp I probably sailed more than I had been able to in the previous 8 months combined! Exciting! 

In order to continue these improvements, I need to strengthen  my transverse abdominus and pelvic floor, in addition to loosening off my hips and back. On this note, I have just recently taken up Ashtanga yoga, which definitely focuses on all these aspects! Helps that the parentals got me a 3 month unlimited pass for my 18th :)

Alright, so onto my goals...

1. Attend all four beginner Ashtanga classes every week.

• Get a physical calendar and check off when I have gone.
  • It's okay to modify! If I don't it WILL make my carpal tunnel worse.
  • Keep the focus on my TA and pelvic floor, it's not always mentioned in the beginner class

2. Ease back into four+ times a week at the gym.

• Calendar it!
  • Carpal tunnel flare up has kept me away for a bit here. 
  • Make sure to find balance between this and the yoga.

3. Complete my physio exercises each day.

• The results only come with the work!
  • Set myself an alarm and do them the same time every day. Check it off when completed.

4. Completely cut out refined sugar, do my best to avoid anything processed.

• I've done this once before and felt GREAT. I don't consume very many processed food-like substances as it is, but I run best when those are gone.
  • I'm already strictly gluten and lactose free due to allergies so this alone eliminates lots of potential enemies.
  • As I am living with my parents, and thus not the primary cook, absolutely completely cutting out foods with unnatural ingredients isn't possible, but they're pretty good about it 

5. Practice imagery at least 5 minutes a day.

• Again, set alarm and just do it. 
  • This is how I can make up for lost on the water time. Wear in the new path. Perfect my processes. I need every edge I can get.

Also, weight loss is a background goal at this point, I'm currently 182 lbs and ideally need to be 150-160 lbs for my boat. I KNOW it will happen if I stick to these goals, but it's not the priority :tongue:

I'm planning to keep y'all posted at least three times a week!     

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Where I am has nothing to do with where I will be.

Welcome to the Druids!

Your plan is incredibly hard.

4 Yoga classes and 4x Gym might be too much in the long run!

For 6 weeks it is great, if you can get enough rest!

Can you?

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Thanks!

Totally understand those concerns, but to be honest this isn't really any more than I typically train, especially since I'm coming up to my peak season, when I'm doing at least one two-three hour water session every day, with gym sessions still sprinkled in. I do make sure to be conscious of my recovery also! I always stretch and roll out afterwards, I'm a fan of ice baths, I go to bed early :D

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Happy 18th; and sorry about the injury.  I've gradually started to become a believer in positive imagery but never yet made it a purposeful to-do item on a checklist -- good thinking (and another item for my list of "ideas to steal from other nerds").  Welcome!

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Thanks! Yeah imagery is SUPAH COOL. I mostly use it as a training tool for sailing, but I definitely find it effective in a general life-is-awesome sense too. If ya ever wanna chat about imagery/mental training/meditation stuff totally hit me up!

It's seriously cool the things you can do with your own brain once ya figure out how lol, closest I'll ever come to badass magic outside vidyagamesssss

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

So I made it to yoga yesterday, yay! I did my imagery but forgot about my physio exercises because I totally neglected to set my alarms. Haven't put my goals on the calendar yet either, but that's on the list today! 

Also crazy how much I'm thinking about sugar now that I've decided to completely not eat it. I know this'll pass, I just need to keep reminding myself how gosh darn awful I'll feel if I cave haha

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Welcome to the Druids! Intense goals, I wish you the best of luck. And yes - modify the yoga regarding your hands,...

Yeah for sure for sure, I've found doing things on my whole forearms instead of a flat hand is the biggest thing!

Hi I am new too, and although your challenges are definitely more intense than mine, there are a few similarities, so good luck I will try and keep you motivated :-). What is imagery? Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome! Totally going to check out your thread so I can do the same for you! Imagery is basically the same thing as visualisation, seeing in your mind what you wish to be able to do in reality. I use it as a training tool for my sailing, so I can get more practice in while I'm not actually on the water. The key is to imagine yourself in first person view, rather than watching yourself from above. I find it's helpful to go through my processes at different mental speeds, like I'm slowing down or speeding up a video feed, obviously something I can't do when I'm on the water. 

It took a bit to get used to, but I've always thought better in pictures anyways. It's really about getting into the right mindset. It's easiest for me to image when I'm doing a static exercise like plank or wallsit, (even cycling is alright) because the physical exertion mimics the feeling of ACTUALLY sailing. Also, regulating my breathing, slow and even through my nose with some sound from the back of my throat helps me to centre myself. If I do it without the physical exertion I often put on a soundtrack of ocean waves or something, so I can focus on my imagery rather than focussing on staying focussed, if that makes much sense!

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Yeah for sure for sure, I've found doing things on my whole forearms instead of a flat hand is the biggest thing!

Awesome! Totally going to check out your thread so I can do the same for you! Imagery is basically the same thing as visualisation, seeing in your mind what you wish to be able to do in reality. I use it as a training tool for my sailing, so I can get more practice in while I'm not actually on the water. The key is to imagine yourself in first person view, rather than watching yourself from above. I find it's helpful to go through my processes at different mental speeds, like I'm slowing down or speeding up a video feed, obviously something I can't do when I'm on the water. 

It took a bit to get used to, but I've always thought better in pictures anyways. It's really about getting into the right mindset. It's easiest for me to image when I'm doing a static exercise like plank or wallsit, (even cycling is alright) because the physical exertion mimics the feeling of ACTUALLY sailing. Also, regulating my breathing, slow and even through my nose with some sound from the back of my throat helps me to centre myself. If I do it without the physical exertion I often put on a soundtrack of ocean waves or something, so I can focus on my imagery rather than focussing on staying focussed, if that makes much sense!

Thanks! I have never heard of imagery, but I do agility with my two springer spaniels and think I could find some uses for this technique with it. When I run, I have been advised to imagine the course going how you want it to happen and it is more likely to go right. But also we only get to walk the course to plan it for five minutes and then can be left waiting for an hour before we run it in competition, so I often try to practice the route from memory to make sure I know where I am going. I think this could be an ideal opportunity to try out imagery. I will let you know how I get on!

PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)
Druid STR 3; DEX 4; STA 1; CON -1; WIS 4; CHA 4
'the fragrance stays in the hand that gives the rose'

Welcome to the Druids!

Normally I would say your yoga/gym/physio exercise are too much. Since you are a competitive sailor I am thinking it is highly appropriate. :)

Thank you for explaining imagery. I never considered using it.... but I am thinking I might just build it into my meditation to help me achieve some of my goals!

Good luck! I hope you continue to see progress in your recovery and that these goals help with preparing you for your competitive season!

If you find sometime, do checkout our mini-challenges... its fun:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/27575-mini-challenge-around-nf-in-40-days-strong-like-a-warrior/

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Hmm - imagery... there's a thought. It would be good for those things that you do and want to get better at - sort of an extra practice, yes? But I'm thinking that it may not be so good for unpleasant tasks that you have to do but don't have to practice for - it might make you feel like you've already done them, so you might not get around to actually doing them. Does that make sense?

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Imagery for unpleasant tasks... you kill me LuckyMe! That would be like self-torture.  :lol:

Of course, picturing how it will feel like when the task is done may be helpful in providing the needed motivation to get started.

Since my weak point is still home keeping, I was thinking of using it to see myself as an accomplished and organized home keeper.   :triumphant:

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Thanks! I have never heard of imagery, but I do agility with my two springer spaniels and think I could find some uses for this technique with it. When I run, I have been advised to imagine the course going how you want it to happen and it is more likely to go right. But also we only get to walk the course to plan it for five minutes and then can be left waiting for an hour before we run it in competition, so I often try to practice the route from memory to make sure I know where I am going. I think this could be an ideal opportunity to try out imagery. I will let you know how I get on!

Haha that's super cool, my dog is waaay too dumb for things like that XD also awesome, it sounds like you're already kinda doing it! Definitely more effective when you know imagery is what you're trying to achieve though! Hope it helps you out!

Welcome to the Druids!

Normally I would say your yoga/gym/physio exercise are too much. Since you are a competitive sailor I am thinking it is highly appropriate. :)

Thank you for explaining imagery. I never considered using it.... but I am thinking I might just build it into my meditation to help me achieve some of my goals!

Good luck! I hope you continue to see progress in your recovery and that these goals help with preparing you for your competitive season!

If you find sometime, do checkout our mini-challenges... its fun:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/27575-mini-challenge-around-nf-in-40-days-strong-like-a-warrior/

Thanks! Yeah I totally agree it'd be a bit much for a non-athlete :) Lemme know if you find the imagery helpful! and I'll totally check out the mini-challenge! 

Hmm - imagery... there's a thought. It would be good for those things that you do and want to get better at - sort of an extra practice, yes? But I'm thinking that it may not be so good for unpleasant tasks that you have to do but don't have to practice for - it might make you feel like you've already done them, so you might not get around to actually doing them. Does that make sense?

Ahhh but you can image it in a more pleasant way, use it to convince yourself it's not actually that hateful! That's how I started loving vegetables! It's like mind control on yourself haha

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Update #2

Yoga on Sunday and Monday, going to class at noon today. Planning class on Wednesday evening. Special open-for-10-years celebration class on Friday.

Planning one gym session this week, increase to two next week, three week after that.

Avoiding sugar is going well overall, the only times I've had it has been in things I didn't think about as containing sugar, like a juice or salsa. I've started being more aware about reading labels to look for the nasty little bugger!

I've been doing my physio consistently every other day, but I really NEED to make the time for it every single day.

Imagery is going well too, I'm getting it in every day even if it's just before bed. I'm focussing on my tacks right now and will start doing more with my mark roundings and gybes next week! 

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

So I just had a meeting with the sports nutritionist available to my through my selection for Canada Summer Games! Pretty cool. She figures I need to eat more protein, and probably also take calcium supplements due to the whole no-dairy. Overall my diet checks out fairly well so that's great :D 

It's FINALLY getting nice here in Calgary, 20 degrees with some craaazy winds. Not too long before the ice is off the lake and I can get out in my boat!

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Thanks for that tip, Evenewbie!

Update #3

This has been a very hectic week for me, and I've only been to yoga once. My carpal tunnel has only been getting consistently worse, and as such I have had to make the tough decision to withdraw from my school program for the sake of my health. This also means I've still been unable to resume my gym sessions, there's often times where I can barely pick up my purse let alone lift weights and such. I am making more of an effort to cycle as transportation so i'm still getting SOME extra exercise in!

What with the last week being as it has been, I've also been very sporadic with my imagery and physio, and I find myself craving sugar, although I've not really given into that. 

I've really noticed that by slacking on my typical routine, my energy levels are waaaay down and I'm struggling to stay focussed, and that definitely doesn't help me with my current situation :P 

SO. This is my reminder to get myself back on track!

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Radialgirl, wondering how you are doing? I've stopped doing my routines many times in the past... and it still happens to me these days (even during a challenge!). What matters is that you slowly get back to it. Life is made of cycles... and sometimes that cycle means you are a bit slack for a bit, then you jump right back in where you left off and keep going. 

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Wow. Okay. So after receiving the newsletter about the next challenge starting up, I remembered I completely forgot to stay updated with this one! My life has been super busy between the start of sailing season, and my family's decision to move to be closer to the yacht club. I've also been pretty bummed out as my carpal tunnel issues have made it impossible to sail for the time being. So between all that, the challenge just totally fell to the wayside.

I have kept up my yoga, I'm going every day during the week. I've been able to perform poses flat on my hands as opposed to using my whole forearms this week, so that's super positive!

I did not make it back to the proper gym at all during this challenge, mostly because of the carpal tunnel i-can't-lift-things issue.

I'm trying real hard to get in my physio exercises, and I definitely notice the improvement.

I only have refined sugar when my elderly neighbour offers me a jujube or something. He's been giving me popsicles and candy over the backyard fence since I was a wee baby and it'd break his heart if I said no, so it's worth it to deal with the sugar nastiness ;)

Imagery's been kind of hit and miss for me. When I can't find the focus to mentally sail, I image myself onto the side of a mountain with the wind lowing around me, and just meditate.

So even though I didn't really finish this challenge, I wouldn't say it was a complete failure. I'll go into the next one with a much better idea of how I need to stay on top of myself at the very least!

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines