• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Crazyhawaiian21

Crazyhawaiian21 enters the Arena

Round 3 ready.... fight!

Last challenge was an excellent active recovery period.  This challenge I'm going to step it up in the workouts and focus and building strength, agility, and endurance.  The active recovery will be a repeat from last challenge with emphasis on increasing the level of flexibility moves and solidify the habit. I am at a crossroads in my current career and will be attempting to leave my current job and go back to school to become a physical therapist.  I'll slowly be introducing goals that focus on GRE, knocking out prereqs and applying to programs over the next couple of challenges and would love any recommendations your might have for jumping back into school or studying for the GRE.

Last challenge I used a whole slew of quotes but this time I found just one that seemed to cover it all 'nuff said.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz

Goal 1:

Strengthen the body  4.5 times a week: (+2 Str, +2 Sta, +1 Dex)

Rock Gym (Air) / NTC workout or TRX workout (Land) / Swimming (Sea)

A) 27 workouts / B ) 25 workouts / C) 23 workouts / D) 21 workouts

Goal Two:

Increase pull-ups to 20 dead-hang, currently baseline is 12 w/o training: (+2 Str)

A) 20  / B ) 19  / C) 18  / D) 17 

Goal Three:

Increase flexibility and range of motion 4 times a week increasing level of yoga poses and complexity/time using clubs: (+2 Dex, +2 Con)

Yoga / Indian clubs / stretching (20 min.) / foam roller

A) 24  / B ) 23  / C) 22  / D) 21

Goal Four:

Work on spanish and study for GRE  (+2 Wis, +2 Cha)

Spanish / GRE

A) 24 mind meld / B ) 23 brain food / C) 22 mind pleaser / D) 21 noggin' teaser

Def. dropped off the face middle-earth for the assassin challenges and shall endeavor to assist the guild to the best of my ability.

PS I'll spice up the challenge later, just had to get it started and not procrastinate.

Hey hey! Muy bien objectivos! Pero el mas mejor camino para aprender espanol es a hablar como tu sabes espanol, te vas a callier pero es natrual para aprender!

Hey, nice set up for this challenge. Hope you rock it. :)

Thanks BettyRae!

Hey hey! Muy bien objectivos! Pero el mas mejor camino para aprender espanol es a hablar como tu sabes espanol, te vas a callier pero es natrual para aprender!

Muchos gracias! Yo tengo pequeña comprendo la lengua español.  Yo necesario practico mucho. 

Welcome back Crazyhawaian! Remember the bacon, errr piggies are counting on you! :D

Mmmm candy smoked bacon,  I mean friendly pulled piggy allies!

Yay to you for not procrastinating :)

What's a GRE?

Graduate Record Examination, basically a standardized test that is required to apply for most post-graduate degrees. I want to change careers and hopefully start my path to becoming a physical therapist.

18 April 2013:

Alright, first day acting on arena challenge.  Feeling fairly optimistic about inevitable DOMS.

1up Goal 1: Performed NTC bodyweight workout

1up Goal 2: Completed first day of 6-week program; 6,6,4,7,9 taking the full 3 min. break between sets, prepare for DOMS

1up Goal 3: Played with clubs for ~10 min. today, trying to work on new movement and streamline the basics.

1up Goal 4: Back on Spanish, knocked out a few lessons before putting together a delicious tomato, cucumber and sweet onion salad

Save the Bacon!: 30 sec. handstand, 30 pushups and 60 sec. crow

Graduate Record Examination, basically a standardized test that is required to apply for most post-graduate degrees. I want to change careers and hopefully start my path to becoming a physical therapist.

Aha! It's great that you know what you want and what you need to get done for it. Good luck with that :)

Aha! It's great that you know what you want and what you need to get done for it. Good luck with that :)

Thanks, it'll be a lot of work but I think I'll be worth it in the end.

Nice job on the goals. How is the weekend treating you? Keep it up!

Gracias! Weekend has been great, had to go to work on Sat. unfortunately but got to go to a Mezcal event last night and race my miata today.  All in all good stuff.

19 April 2013:

A little sore nothing too crazy.  Slow day after work and too much Injustice! PS (I am Batman)

2up Goal 3: Played with clubs for ~10 min. today, trying to work on new movement and streamline the basics.

2up Goal 4: Back on Spanish

Save the Bacon!: 55 sec. crow

20 April 2013:

Ready to give more pullups a go and another focused day.

2up Goal 1: Went bouldering for 1.5 hr, mostly V1's with a few V2's conquered, was consistently baffled by the ability of others to make climbing look graceful and knock out routes I can't begin to attempt.

2up Goal 2: Completed second day of 6-week program; 7,6,6,8,9 taking the full 3 min. break between sets, prepare for more DOMS!

3up Goal 3: Played with clubs for ~10 min. today, trying to work on new movement and streamline the basics.

3up Goal 4: Back on Spanish

Save the Bacon!: 20 pushups

It's great to see more climbers here!  I'm honestly kind of shocked that you're struggling with the V2's and V3's, since you're so strong.  Most of the super strong people at my gym can power through the lower grade routes through sheer brute force (and almost no technique).  If you can do 12+ deadhang pull-ups, I'm surprised that you can't just campus up the wall.  :)   

I'm at a level where I can almost always do the V1's, can occasionally do the V2's and can rarely/almost never get the V3's, but I can only do 3-ish pull-ups and none at all if I go from a deadhang  (so I'm incredibly weak compared with you).  The route setters at your gym must love using really crimpy holds and awkward balance moves.

I do think the rock gyms in the Bay Area are pretty advanced.  I climb at the GWPC which is part of touchstone fitness in California and most of holds are tiny and balance moves like you suggested. It definitely requires a more diverse skillset and hand/wrist strength in ways I haven't ever trained before.  The good thing is that it is forcing me to use my legs quite a bit more and utilize body positioning in the end I think it'll make me a better climber, for now I still feel like a total Noob :).

21 April 2013:

A day racing around in the maita, not hugely productive but much needed and a blast as always.

4up Goal 3: Rolled the IT bands and legs, got a little stiff after sprinting around after cones all day.

Save the Bacon!: I ate some chorizo instead :)

It will make you a much better climber in the long run.  For each grade, I have to learn the technique as well as develop the strength for some of the power moves.  You'll just have to learn the technique, so you should advance much faster.  I've been stuck for a few months on routes requiring lockoff moves, and the only solution for me to to keep working on the lockoff until I'm strong enough to do it.

I'm jealous that you're in California, since you have such wonderful outdoor climbing and bouldering.  We east coast people have to travel pretty far to find any good outdoor climbing.

22 April 2013:

It will make you a much better climber in the long run.  For each grade, I have to learn the technique as well as develop the strength for some of the power moves.  You'll just have to learn the technique, so you should advance much faster.  I've been stuck for a few months on routes requiring lockoff moves, and the only solution for me to to keep working on the lockoff until I'm strong enough to do it.

I'm jealous that you're in California, since you have such wonderful outdoor climbing and bouldering.  We east coast people have to travel pretty far to find any good outdoor climbing.

I am pretty fortunate with the gyms out here.  The gyms that I've been to before would not hold a candle to the difficulty of the current.  I need to start going more often as they change routes about once a month so any old favorites or familiar challenges are soon replaced.

3up Goal 1: Went bouldering for 1 hr, mostly V1's with 3 V2's conquered, and so very close on a V3 still baffled by the rest of the spider monkeys.

3up Goal 2: Completed day 3 of 6-week program; 8,8,8,6,10 with 2 min. breaks between sets, the last set was for max so I think ten is good considering rockclimbing and previous pullups

5up Goal 3: Played with clubs for ~10 min. today, and completed yoga flexibility series

4up Goal 4: Mas estudio

Under the Sea: Attempted 10 min. squat, had to stand up to readjust ever 2 min. or so, keeping the feet straight proved to be extremely difficult and I think my feet were most sore after the exercise.

23 April 2013

So a hellacious day was had in a classroom today for work related training, luckily I was able to salvage with a quickie of 35 min. in the pool.

4up Goal 1: Went swimming during the lunch break today, trying to focus on technique instead of muscling through the water.  Pretty busy today at the pool but it was fun trying to keep up with the real swimmers.

6up Goal 3: Rolled for 15 min., things seem to be getting easier in regards to pressure points or stiffness through typical mid-thigh.

Under the Sea: Worked on the Psoas today in one of the other hip mobility wod. Really enjoying this mini-challenge and will have to reattempt 10 min. squat later on this week.

Nice progress, keep it going CH!

And thanks Red!

24 April 2013:

+1 on Really, Awesomely, Super fantastic training  :nonchalance:

5up Goal 1: Went bouldering for 1 hr, starting to feel like I am getting into a grove, 4 V2's and 1 V3 after the warm-up.  In between problems watched a lot of other climbers to check out their strategy and overall route. WOOT!

4up Goal 2: Into the second week of pullup program ; 9,7,6,7,8 taking the full 2 min. break between sets, accidentally started week three workout instead of 2, caught it before attempting to knock out 9 at the end.

7up Goal 3: Played with clubs for ~10 min. today, and used the foam roller

4up Goal 4: New vocabulary for clothing items, linen as well as verbs for clean/dirty, wet/dry

Under the Sea!: Tried the outer hip rotation hw with ball to loosen thing up on the deriere, ouches

Really enjoying HABIT RPG and have been delving deeper into habits I want to develop or rewards I should probably regulate a little more often.

Congrats on the V3!!!   I find it really helpful to watch other people climb, since often the optimal body position or footwork are kind of counter-intuitive.  Lately, it's just been my husband and myself climbing, so I've had no help (since he's 6'2" and tends to solve things differently than I do by using his height and strength).

And wow for the pull-ups!  You're a total beast.

Gratz for the V3! It's always such a joy when you manage to solve one! The difference of level between V2 and V3 is huge, that's when being strong is not enough, you need to be more technical :)

And yay for habitRPG, if you feel like trying the "party" part, just give me your id (not the user name, but the weird number you can find in the upper left menu) I'm curious to see what that does. 

2up Goal 3: Played with clubs for ~10 min. today, trying to work on new movement and streamline the basics.

I misread that at first. I thought it said "played with cubs." Like bear cubs. Which seemed pretty badass for a workout. Like, maybe doing bear presses or something. Or wrasslin'.

25 April 2013:

Congrats on the V3!!!   I find it really helpful to watch other people climb, since often the optimal body position or footwork are kind of counter-intuitive.  Lately, it's just been my husband and myself climbing, so I've had no help (since he's 6'2" and tends to solve things differently than I do by using his height and strength).

And wow for the pull-ups!  You're a total beast.

Thanks! I usually try to climb when no one else is there so I can send at will, but may go more often at busy periods so I can watch how its done and try and emulate better climbers (When i go climbing with my wife I always tell her that I'm a bad example aka doin it wrong :) )

Gratz for the V3! It's always such a joy when you manage to solve one! The difference of level between V2 and V3 is huge, that's when being strong is not enough, you need to be more technical :)

And yay for habitRPG, if you feel like trying the "party" part, just give me your id (not the user name, but the weird number you can find in the upper left menu) I'm curious to see what that does. 

Absolutely :), I have been enjoying bouldering on a more regular basis and think my finger/forearm strength is coming along thanks to the combination of pull-ups, climbing and club work which has made a lot of the previously impossible holds, slightly more so. I would love to party up but do you know if you can join one or more parties? My wife and I are trying to brainstorm an awesome party name and I don't want to exclude her if only one party can be joined.  I just purchased my first sword and my little avatar got a honking Broadsword! 

I misread that at first. I thought it said "played with cubs." Like bear cubs. Which seemed pretty badass for a workout. Like, maybe doing bear presses or something. Or wrasslin'.

That would be the epitome of awesome  :ph34r: , lions, and tigers, and bears oh my! I did an adventure race where we saw a couple of bear cubs but I had no intention of wrasslin' with them as momma bear was not too far behind :), Talk about motivation! Clubs are still fun though, good excuse to swing around oversized sticks and not seem as crazy...

Challenge

+2 on Really, Awesomely, Super fantastic training   :blink:

Was getting ramped up for a challenging bw workout.....and took a 2 hour nap  :sleeping: .....  not necessarily planned...... fantastic, absolutely

8up Goal 3: Played with clubs (I wish I got to play with cubs though, siberian would be cool) for ~10 min. today

5up Goal 4: Studied for 35 min. for upcoming qualification board.

Under the Sea!: Worked on staying out of the pain cave for the hip flexor stretch, ppl are starting to look at me funny as I try to stretch discreetly during mtgs.

That'd be an awesome update

Me: So what did you do today?

CH: Oh you know, juggled grizzly cubs while benching the mother... with my LEGS!