A recovering couch potato who is trying to uncover the mysteries of physical fitness.

For a majority of my adult life I lived a sedentary lifestyle with occasional bouts of exercise activity at my former company’s gym.  The exercise regimen would involve cardio (elliptical and/or treadmill) and weight training on various machines.  I’d go to the gym twice a week for 1 to 2 months and then I would stop never to be seen or heard from until the following year.  This sporadic cycle went on for about 7 years and each year I would continue to gain weight.  Aside from being a self-proclaimed foodie and lover of tasty beverages (beer, wine, and liquor), I was a half-a-pack-day-and-cigars-on-the-weekend smoker….clearly a recipe for all kinds of health disasters.

In late 2009 I was at my heaviest weight.  At the encouragement of a friend I decided to enroll in a Krav Maga class in late 2009.  I chose Krav Maga because I believed the subject matter would hold my interest for a long time (at least beyond 2 months) and the conditioning exercises that my friend described would be more effective than any of my previous activities.  In January 2010 I made a pact to get in shape so I committed myself to attend my Krav Maga classes 3 times a week.  What made this resolution different from previous years is that I focused on just setting aside 1 hour, getting in my car, showing up to class, and making it out alive.  No more, no less.  That’s when my REAL fitness journey began…

My Krav Maga training motivated me to improve my athleticism.  During the next 3 years I would do home exercise programs like P90X and Insanity with occasional periods of jogging.  However last year I had hit a major plateau in my fitness journey.  Most of my workouts were high intensity cardio (anaerobic) activities and I knew I needed to include more variety such as strength training and core development.  Last summer I relocated to Orlando, FL and joined the YMCA since I had family who were members.   Being a member of an actual gym (most of my exercising was at home or at the Krav Maga training center) gave me the opportunity to try a variety of classes (cycling, pilates, swimming, yoga, TRX suspension training).   I finally revamped my fitness roadmap and got into the swing of things this past January. 

So for 2013 I added two major components to my fitness road map: YOGA and WEIGHTLIFTING (old skool style aka "The Iron Way"). These activities will help me bust my plateau and ensure that I crosstrain properly to avoid injuries.  Now it’s time to add the third and most crucial piece…DIET.  I’ve been trying to “outrun my fork†the past 3 years and while I’ve managed to lose weight I still have a high body fat percentage.  I’m a “fit fat kid†meaning I’ve got great endurance but my strength to weight ratio is terrible.  I can do 3 hours of Krav Maga training yet still cannot do an unassisted pushup.  That has to change!  I was researching how to do a pull up and I came across Steve’s article.  And that is what brought me to the Rebellion.   

I’m looking forward to exchanging ideas with my fellow Rebels as the mysteries of fitness are finally revealed to me. 

Monk/RangerLevel OneCurrent Challenge"Fatigue makes cowards of us all." -Vince Lombardi

Thanks Cee! This has been a challenging and exciting journey with lots of ups and downs and twists and turns.  Reading some of the Rebel's stories I can definitely relate to the struggle that you all go through.  I'm looking forward to working with the Rebellion to take things to a whole new level.

Monk/RangerLevel OneCurrent Challenge"Fatigue makes cowards of us all." -Vince Lombardi

It always floors me to see all these people that appear fit, but cannot do strength related things. I see it all the time in my fitness classes... these lithe, lean people, who can't hold a squat. It just goes to show that not everyone can be good at everything without serious effort.

Good luck on trying new things. Add that zest!

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

Thanks Gilfen! Yes I thought I could "cardio/metcon" my way to a stronger me but I eventually discovered that lifting heavy things is the best way to go. I've been barbell training for the past 2 months and I've made more fitness gains then I have in the past 2 years.