Anivair's Boar Life Challenge

Anivair

Dinner last night was not paleo.  A friend wanted to celebrate the good grade she got in her class, it was late (after Humanity Anonymous which was a success) and we went for gluten free pizza (and some chicken wings). 

It was pretty tasty, though I paid for it a bit this morning.  Not terrible, but not great. 

So .... do I feel guilty about that?  Only a little.  I would have been happy with other food, but it wasn't about the food, it was about the company.  I don't feel like I undid any progress too much and it was fun .... so I guess I can let that go (though it still counts as a bad food day for this challenge).  

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Thanks.  that's a good perspective, though not one I'll let myself get away with much.  Ultimately, what I said was, "hanging out with my friend and celebrating was more important than my fitness goals that night".  And it's true, it was.  But it shouldn't be every day.  

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Last night:  Liturgy meeting followed by going home (Chipotle for dinner).  Got to bed early (thank you, Unisom) and got up early (5:45)  and did devotional (with offerings) and left for Friday Morning Men's Workout. 

Stuffed some nuts in my face just prior to the workout. (That's right, yuck it up)

Warm up:  some deadlift, rowing, rolling, etc. 

Walk to the park, some walkthrough and then the circuit (x2.5): 

• Hill Climb
  • Rope repel down
  • 10x jumps onto a stone
  • 10x wall ball (12 lbs)
  • jungle ups x5
  • light mud jog to rocks
  • 12x mountain climbers on uneven rocks while moving
  • run back to start

Walk back (carrying the huge rope on my) was a curb balance and then just uphill back to the gym. 

Finished off with some heavier deadlift and then changed and got some paleo jerky in me.  Had time for breakfast so: 

Cheesesteak omelet with mushrooms, bacon, iced tea. 

So far so good. I need to moisturize my hands, though. Yeesh!

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

So!  The wife and I just got back from our 2 year Anniversary trip! I'll recap the challenge realted stuff first: 

Devotionals and offerings happened regularly. 

Lifting did not (no weights) but we did swim a lot and walk a lot. 

Food was TERRIBLE!  We vacation in Amish country and every year it's a carb-fest.  It's over now and it only lasted 2 days. Food has been legit since i got back. 

LOTS of sleep, of course.  

The Vacation itself (like all of them) too place at Landoll's Mohican Castle.  It's great.  then we spent time in Amish country and had a blast.  No canoeing this year, but soon. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

So my weekend was 90% gaming.  Food was not great. No real exercise since I'm off this week, but I start tomorrow. I also start with reformatting my food tomorrow because this weekend sucked, so I'm going to be super strict for a bit. 

Also, star trek was amazing.  go see it.  But don't eat popcorn.  I made that mistake. 

Also, don't drink a lot.  There's no good place to pee.

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Yesterday: 

Devotional happened mid workout. 

Workout was the EP LifeFit beginner module tests. 

the second one kicked my ass.  I suck at push ups. 

Dinner was cook-with-your-wife night.  Pork chops with a delicious compote and veggies with butter. 

Watched the Name of the Doctor (holy shit) and the most recent game of thrones (Saddest wedding ever).  

Overall:  good.  Also prepped the wife's breakfast for the next 2 weeks or more. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

So, what's up here?  No workout yesterday (rest day).  Humanity Anonymous today, though after my own workout.  Should be fun.  Humanity Anonymous hangout tomorrow for those that want in.  Check my G+ (anivair/com/+)

Food was legit save for a little bit of yogurt for dessert, but I can live with that.  

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Food's been clean since the last update, and workout this morning was brutally great.  Men's Friday Morning workout.  Our circuit was

• one leg KB deadlift
  • RX stick swings
  • ring push ups
  • pull ups
  • suitcase carry
  • KB swings
  • sandbag lunges
  • throwing up.  

Okay, that last bit was optional, but I thought about it.  It was basically a free for all for 12 minute rounds.  I did about 3 circuits.  Good stuff.  Rolled out after. I needed it. 

Breakfast, as usual now, was 3 hard boiled eggs with Chipotle Tabasco  and also some nuts on the way back.  Plenty of water. 

Feeling good that I'm getting close to time to test my lifts at the end of this challenge. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Holy balls, where did that come from?!  The challenge started and I missed it?!  Odd, since I've had the game plan ready for a week or so.  Ahh well.  Best laid plans. 

So here's my challenge. 

5170246543978_Cast_metal_statue_of_wild_

I'm going to train like a boar.  that means strength, bursts of speed, good diet, good sleep.  It also means some sort of spiritual connection to the boar that i'll cover later. 

For now:  

Boars are strong.  If I want to be strong, I'd better train like it.  I have been shifting my training away from 5x5 lately into a "get strong" type pyramid.  I start with an empty bar and do about 12x2.  Then I add a bit of weight and do a set of 8.  I add a bit more and do a set of 4.  I keep adding weight till I can only do 2 reps, at which point I do about 3-4 sets at 2, with good rest.  Then, when i'm pretty tired, I descend, taking off some weight and doing 4x2 and then taking off more and doing 8x2.  I usually don't finish with more bar work, but if I feel like my muscles need the stretch, I will.  This is 3x a week lately with each day being a lift (squat, dead, press) but I think i might start shifting these a bit just to see where it goes.  

Boars are explosive.  If I want to be explosive, I should train like it.  I'll do sprints once a week.  Exercises where appropriate will be explosive.  John Wellbourn says, "train fast, be fast."  I'm on it. Boars are also good on all fours, and in order to get there, I'll be adding crawling into my warm ups and cool downs.  

Boars eat naturally.  I will, too.  My diet will be paleo, of course, and I'll try to focus on things I need.  Meats for satiety and muscle, roots and tubers for carbs, and green veggies for variety.  Berries and fruits for sweets (I just came off a second 21 day sugar detox ... I liked it, but I can feel it making me a bit neurotic, so I'm going to chill out a bit for now).  

Also, I'll be taking a cue from the boar and sleeping as much as I can.  I'll need the rest if I'm beating myself up physically. 

Finally, there's the boar itself.  The boar is sort of my totem, and through that I've taken to doing prayers to Neit (an Irish god of the hunt) and Arduinna (a Gaulish goddess of boars and wilderness and the hunt).   I'm going to do devotionals to them daily, even if it's just a fast prayer.  I hope to have myself ready to start learning to shoot a bow soon, because one day I'd like to hunt my own food (I'm in Ohio, so we can do that sort of thing).  

I also, in the back of my mind, am getting going on moving the gym idea forward.  I'm not going to jinx myself and start feeling accomplished about it, because I haven't really done enough work yet, but I want to start taking on clients and doing the work.  

SO .... how do I test my progress?  

Strength:  I want to up my numbers.  That's the goal, right?  Weight on the bar. So: 

• Bench @ BW
  • Squat @ 1.5 BW
  • Deadlift @ 2x BW
  • Press @ .75 BW

That's my starting point.  1 strength for every lift I make it on, plus an extra strength for every 15 pounds over (up to the max)

Speed:  I need to be fast. I'm going to time a spring today and then another when I'm done.  I'm not sure what a good spring time is, so my goal is to shave 25% off my starting speed.  2 Dexterity if I succeed, flat.  No prize for second place. 

Diet:  This is pretty easy.  I keep a food log.  If I hit 90% I did well.  +2 Constitution. 

Sleep:  Also easy.  Rest and recuperation.  8 dark hours a night at least.   I keep a log.  if I hit 90% I did well.  +1 stamina, +1 constitution. 

Devotionals:  I do these daily.  Every time I miss, I will note it here (I'll try to note when I do it).  If I miss less than once a week on average (so 0-5 times) I pass.  +2 Wisdom.  

That's it.  Tune in in a few moments for progress report. 

So, how did I do?  To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, since I haven't tested my lifts yet, but I can speak to the rest. 

Diet:  there were basically 30 days in this challenge.  Unless you count my anniversary vacation I hit the 90% goal.  If you count that, I missed it by 2 days.  IMO life is worthless without slack at vacation time, but I won't say I felt super strict, so I'm going ot call it a B and give myself +1 con.  

Sleep:  Nailed this with maybe 1-2 days worth of exceptions.  A  +1 stamina, +1 con. 

Devotionals:  not only did I do these, but they really helped me a lot and they opened my eyes to some things.  A+.  +2 wisdom. 

If the lifts look good, that's a sweet challenge and I'll call it a level by this point.  if not, then I'm still doing okay. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

today and Yesterday:  Food was great.  Yesterday breakfast was chicken and bacon.  that's what was for breakfast today, too.  Lunch yesterday was salmon and veggies.  Lunch today was ribs (probably a bit too much ribs, but it was what I had) and LOTS of veggies (broccoli, carrots, snap peas, water chestnuts) in real olive oil (I tested it by tossing it in the fridge at the store).  Dinner last night was brisket and green beans and collared greens (see my Instagram for fun pictures).  Not sure about tonight, but I'm betting on lamb liver and kale. 

Workout?  I felt like Monday's was a bit light, but I'll make up for it tonight.  Also I was still sort of recovering Monday.  I DID get to go at my garden yesterday.  I now have a mountain of green onions (so recipes are welcome) and a lot of smallish yellow and red onions and some ramps waiting for me.  Also found the hare that's been tormenting my garden, but so far he eluded the dog.  I might have to till the garden tonight, so that could be bad for him. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines