Élan's Second Try

Honeybee

Bwahahaha thank you Dominic!  

@Athena: Thank you for that!  You're right... I should listen to my body and give it more protein!  I know I'm not getting enough (probably only about 50g per day).  

@WeirdAbbott: Yay for us both living with running! I'm actually excited to go for a run this morning although it's SO cold and windy.  Better bundle up!  It's going to go from 40F to 90F here in two days.  Minnesota is so weird.  

Level 2 Rebel
STR 5 | DEX 4 | STA 4 | CON 6 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4.5

Aspiring Assassin | 1 | Current

It's typical for us too, but usually in March and April.  May is usually pretty stable.  We had 13 inches of snow about 10 days ago, though, so there is still some residual snow hanging around.  The 90-degree day should take care of that.  :D

I got another good run in on Saturday. While I was running, I was thinking of every excuse I could use on NF to justify why I didn't go as far/as fast as previous runs. When I got home, it turns out I ran both farther and faster than I have before! 

Yesterday was just a yoga day, but I woke up with SOOO much pain in my left shoulder/upper back. What did I do?! Still going to try to run... in about 15 mins.  

Level 2 Rebel

It's typical for us too, but usually in March and April.  May is usually pretty stable.  We had 13 inches of snow about 10 days ago, though, so there is still some residual snow hanging around.  The 90-degree day should take care of that.   :D

I got another good run in on Saturday. While I was running, I was thinking of every excuse I could use on NF to justify why I didn't go as far/as fast as previous runs. When I got home, it turns out I ran both farther and faster than I have before! 

Yesterday was just a yoga day, but I woke up with SOOO much pain in my left shoulder/upper back. What did I do?! Still going to try to run... in about 15 mins.  

Well done on the run, nice to see improvement :) We're watching you! :blink:  I don't like running much, I always seem to end up with sore stiff joints, although it's better now I lost some weight. These days I prefer swimming which has the opposite effect, usually loosens me up, must be getting old :P

Maybe you have sore shoulders from scooby doo arm waves while skidding on ice patches during your run?!!

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

"Scooby doo arm waves" bwahaha!  Love the visual.  :D

Yesterday I ran 2.59 miles in 34 minutes. It felt good!  Today I did the beginner bodyweight workout (with a few additions to spice it up) but it's SOOOOO hot outside and SOOOOO hot in my apartment. It was a fine workout, but I did not get anywhere near beast mode. I'm eating within my calories limits and getting more protein lately, so I can't be too hard on myself about only doing a moderate workout.  

This blog post (and the comments) fired me up today, so I thought I'd share:

http://sophieologie.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/strong-is-the-new-skinny/

Level 2 Rebel

Thank you!

On Tuesday, I wrote another 2000 words. Go me! Hoping to have another session like that today after my run.  

Yesterday, I did the beginner bodyweight workout + this "Spartacus workout" that I found in someone else's thread:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/spartacus-fitness-plan

It was fun, but I find that timing things really throws off my rhythm! 

I've started to notice some progress.  My pants that used to feel tight half the time are now practically falling off. I'm doing that awkward "pull up the pants by the belt loop" thing all the time. Time to buy myself a belt!

Level 2 Rebel

Thank you!

On Tuesday, I wrote another 2000 words. Go me! Hoping to have another session like that today after my run.  

Yesterday, I did the beginner bodyweight workout + this "Spartacus workout" that I found in someone else's thread:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/spartacus-fitness-plan

It was fun, but I find that timing things really throws off my rhythm! 

I've started to notice some progress.  My pants that used to feel tight half the time are now practically falling off. I'm doing that awkward "pull up the pants by the belt loop" thing all the time. Time to buy myself a belt!

Having to pull your pants up is definitely a good sign, well done.

^ Thank you thank you!

This week was very good. I went back to count my workouts during this challenge and saw that this week was by far my best week for workouts. It showed on the scale too: 1.5 lbs lost after sitting steady at 122 for a couple weeks. Abs, come on out to play!  Oooh also... yesterday, I did a 30-minute jog at my fastest pace yet. I'm still slow, but I'm seeing improvements! 

Time for my "Almost There" Summary:

I cannot believe this challenge is almost over!  Here are my stats as of right now:

Age: 24 (another year older), Height: 5'6.5", Weight: 120.5 lbs (4.5 lbs lost)

Will add measurements later today

Challenge #1: I've competed four sets of measurements, but I did not take "before" pictures. I think I will be able to complete this goal, but not attain the bonus. 

Challenge #2: I'm 22/24 on the 30-minute workouts! I should have this goal completed by tomorrow. w00t! I've also had no trouble completing the bonus part of this goal. 

Challenge #3: So far, I have cooked four new meals. Cooking two new meals this week is totally possible, so there's no reason for me not to ace this goal too. I'm also on target to attain the bonus for this goal, which I did not really think was possible!

Challenge #4: I've only written about 6,000 words for this goal. I'm hoping I can hit 10,000 words and make it to "B" range. 

The "bonus" completions mean I'm on target to get 2 new fancy items of workout gear. I've also completed guild mini challenges #1, #2, and #5. :)

Level 2 Rebel

Almost there and I was derailed!!!  I got the illness that was going around the office: bad sore through, congestion, dizziness, cough.  I took two days off of training, but I'm back on the wagon now. Yesterday, I decided to re-do a run from week 2 of Zombies Run 5k Trainer instead of moving on to week 3 (I heard week 3 is very tough!) and had my best run yet. I guess it's time to move on to something more difficult, even if I am still a little sick.  

I did complete my challenge of 24 30-minute workouts on Sunday. That goal is officially smashed!  

Level 2 Rebel

Boom! Way to go completing one of your goals, and still somehow finding the energy to run even if you're sick. Only a few more days left of the challenge, gotta finish up strong! Hope you feel better.

Level 2 Human Adventurer

STR: 6 |  CON: 5.25

DEX: 1  |  WIS: 5.25

STA: 5.75  |  CHA: 4.5

My First Challenge

My Second (Current) Challenge

-Second Challenge Progress Blog

"Don't freak out until there is a reason to freak out." -My grandmother

Thank you so much!  I took what you said to heart and went hard today! Zombies Run 5k Trainer was KILLER today (week 3), but I managed to run 4.6 miles in 57 minutes. Uh oh, though... two hours after the run and I have some serious pain in the outside/front of my leg, just below my knee.  Time to focus on strengthening my hips/glutes/legs so I can run without pain.  Right now, my leg hurts quite a bit and I'm pretty sad about it, but I'm trying to see it as good news: a great reminder that I really need to focus on strength. 

My husband offered to bring my Panda Express today, but I said no and ate eggs instead. +1 for good choices. I'm also up to 8,000 words written.  :D

Level 2 Rebel

Thank you so much!  I took what you said to heart and went hard today! Zombies Run 5k Trainer was KILLER today (week 3), but I managed to run 4.6 miles in 57 minutes. Uh oh, though... two hours after the run and I have some serious pain in the outside/front of my leg, just below my knee.  Time to focus on strengthening my hips/glutes/legs so I can run without pain.  Right now, my leg hurts quite a bit and I'm pretty sad about it, but I'm trying to see it as good news: a great reminder that I really need to focus on strength. 

My husband offered to bring my Panda Express today, but I said no and ate eggs instead. +1 for good choices. I'm also up to 8,000 words written.   :D

Running always hurts my legs, hips etc swimming FTW! I was really surprised when I did my VO2 test a few weeks back that I scored above average without doing any running. ;The tester told me swimming is great aerobic exercise. I guess because I'm not burning up and sweaty as hell it doesn't feel it when you're in the pool.

I've started doing some hip mobility exercises, well actually they're just part of the Rebel Strength Guide, they've really helped with muscle soreness. Yoga is supposed to be great for runners as well.;

I dunno what Panda Express is but anything with the word express in it is generally suspect!  Well done for going the eggs instead :)

Thanks for those yoga poses, Dominic! My knee is starting to feel a little better, but I'm going to keep resting it for a while longer.  

I'd love to swim but I we are really pinching pennies and can't justify paying for pool access. My husband is taking swimming lessons, though, so maybe we can budget for it if he successfully learns how to swim. It's proving to be quite the challenge for him!

Panda Express is deliciously evil Chinese fast food. I was looking at the menu online and almost caved, but my eggs were SO YUMMY!  :D

I'm down to 119 now.  That makes 6 lbs lost during this challenge! I've done really well with food and exercise. Last night, I'd had too much wine but still managed to do a 30-minute arm workout before I hit the hay. I felt much better this morning knowing that I didn't miss a day of exercise. 

Level 2 Rebel

Thanks for those yoga poses, Dominic! My knee is starting to feel a little better, but I'm going to keep resting it for a while longer.  

I'd love to swim but I we are really pinching pennies and can't justify paying for pool access. My husband is taking swimming lessons, though, so maybe we can budget for it if he successfully learns how to swim. It's proving to be quite the challenge for him!

Panda Express is deliciously evil Chinese fast food. I was looking at the menu online and almost caved, but my eggs were SO YUMMY!   :D

I'm down to 119 now.  That makes 6 lbs lost during this challenge! I've done really well with food and exercise. Last night, I'd had too much wine but still managed to do a 30-minute arm workout before I hit the hay. I felt much better this morning knowing that I didn't miss a day of exercise. 

Oh god I have such a weakness for Chinese food and it's a total disaster area when I get stuck into it!! I've learnt this challenge that I just need to avoid it.

6 pounds down is great, well done :triumphant:

Oh my goodness ME TOO... Chinese is a major weakness. And I really feel like most takeout Chinese is just salt, salt, salt. Thank you for the congrats on the weightloss. :D I'm feeling good! 

I went over my calorie limit by about ~100 calories AND didn't exercise yesterday. Bad Élan! Today is a new day, though! My knee is feeling better so I think I will try to run today and keep my fingers crossed.  

Level 2 Rebel

Starting stats:

Upper Arm: 10, Forearm: 8.5, Chest: 34, Waist: 27.5, Hips: 37, Thigh: 20, Calf: 14, Neck: 13

Level 1 Adventurous Elf

STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Ending stats:

Upper Arm: 10, Forearm: 8.5, Chest: 33, Waist: 26, Hips: 37, Thigh: 19, Calf: 14, Neck: 12.5

Level 2 Adventurous Elf (I leveled up!)

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 6 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

Now onto the goals...

Challenge #1: Learn how to take proper measurements and take them weekly.

B - Take a full set of measurements five times

Reward: + 1 WIS

I got a B for this goal, so I'm giving myself only half of the stat points I had intended. 

Challenge #2: Four 30-minute workouts each week

A - 24+ 30-minute workouts

Bonus - Extend one of those 30-minute workouts each week to 60 minutes

Reward: + 2 STR, + 1 DEX, + 2 STA

Woooohoooo! I crushed this goal!

Challenge #3: Cook a new meal each week. 

A - Cook six different meals

Bonus - 3 or less "Lean Cuisine" or other frozen meals

Reward: + 3 CON, + 1 CHA, + 1 WIS

Did pretty well... my general cooking skills have really improved! I ate two Lean Cuisines during the first week and then none for the rest of the challenge. 

Challenge #4: Write 2000 words each week

F - Less than 10,000 words written  

No stat points awarded. 

Although my last goal was a failure, I'd still give my performance an A-! I stuck with it and learned to love exercise of all types. I've officially made a habit out of cooking, calorie counting, running, and strength training. Although my round up is in and the challenge is over, I'll still be counting those cals and exercising today. :D I can't wait for the next 6WC!

Level 2 Rebel

Great job, Elan. It's good to see that you did so well. It's rough not passing one of your goals, but you did really well on the rest. And 6 pounds is excellent. That's awesome. Congrats. Can't wait to see you again in the next challenge.

Lv. 4 Mandalorian Sith Ranger

STR: 11/DEX: 3/CON: 8/STA: 13/WIS: 12/CHA: 4.5

(I): Fire Flower, Nifty Birthday Party Hat, Raccoon Suit of Creativity

Challenge_1, 23, Current

"Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

http://newportmissions.blogspot.com/

Great job, Elan. It's good to see that you did so well. It's rough not passing one of your goals, but you did really well on the rest. And 6 pounds is excellent. That's awesome. Congrats. Can't wait to see you again in the next challenge.

Lv. 4 Mandalorian Sith Ranger

STR: 11/DEX: 3/CON: 8/STA: 13/WIS: 12/CHA: 4.5

(I): Fire Flower, Nifty Birthday Party Hat, Raccoon Suit of Creativity

Challenge_1, 23, Current

"Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

http://newportmissions.blogspot.com/

Nice work Elan, you did well on your goals :applause:

6 pounds down is great and I reckon you probably put some muscle on as well.

Glad to hear you are up for the next challenge, can't wait to see you dominate again :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines