Gem's Getting Hot Challenge - April/May

Malva

Hot, as in, the weather. It is hot already - several 90F days and then a low of 38 later in the week - that is spring time in the South....

Hoping that I can ease into summertime exercise, because the weather will definitely be a factor.

Name: Gem

Goals:

KEEP RUNNING: last challenge I finished the c25k program and so now I need to keep running. Aiming for 2x per week, or 12 runs during the challenge period. If I can do a third run in a week, that will be for extra credit!

BEGINNER BODY WEIGHT WORKOUT: Also a 2x per week, or 12 times during the challenge, goal - on non running days.

DECLUTTER: I have been working on this for a while and need to keep at it - I will be happy if I can get the seasonal clothes transition completed - that means winter clothes actually put away in storage, not left out in boxes till next fall LOL

DIET: Keep counting calories and eating for weight loss. No specific weight loss goal, as I have seen by now how unpredictable this is. I'd like to try this one week diet at some point in this challenge, probably the third week. I am anticipating veggie overload from the garden plus the farmer's market will be open, so lot's of veggies available.

LIFE: I can't express how it pains me to do this, but I have to shop for new clothes. UGH. I need shorts and tshirts for summer and some kind of presentable garments, including shoes.

Eating style - I have a big garden, operate a CSA, raise my own pigs and chickens, in short I eat all the stuff I grow, then I buy locally, then I fill in from the grocery store. Currently calorie counting for weight loss.

Squad - Yes give me a squad, I need help with decluttering and organizing, as well as weight loss encouragement.

This challenge period will be two distinct parts for me - the second three weeks will be the beginning of my CSA summer delivery schedule. Busy ++. So the first three weeks can be for focusing on goals - then just try to hang on! That in itself will be a challenge...

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3

I don't know about the rest of you slackers, but I am starting early LOL! Today was too good of a day not to pull into the challenge.

I rode my bike!

About a year or so ago I got this idea that I wanted a bike - but it didn't go so well. I fell down a few times ( those of you who have been following my challenges know that I fall pretty often LOL ) and generally got a sore behind from the hard seat. Today I got it out and aired up the tires LOL and went for a ride. It was still hard, but it was fun. I need a big cushy seat.

Also did a 30 min run and burned lots of calories mowing the garden with a push mower.

What part of the South are you in? I don't think we hit the 90s yet. High yesterday was supposed to be 88....was pretty toasty while mowing, but not 90. What all do you grow in your garden? There is nothing better than fresh homegrown veggies.

6'1'' ~271 lbs. (-14 8-5-12, -49 from max)

back to 290 :( 6/5/14

Clark - SE TN, US
Married +3 boys (11,5,2)
http://www.facebook.com/clarkbryant
http://www.twitter.com/clark_bryant
https://www.fitbit.com/user/2DYTCZ

What part of the South are you in? I don't think we hit the 90s yet. High yesterday was supposed to be 88....was pretty toasty while mowing, but not 90. What all do you grow in your garden? There is nothing better than fresh homegrown veggies.

We are in southwest Arkansas - spitting distance from both Texas and Louisiana. We have had an unusually warm spring, even for us.

Right now in the garden, I have green onions, swiss chard, kale, lettuce, bok choy, spinach, all ready to eat and fading fast in this hot weather. Planted - brocolli, cabbage, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, herbs, potatoes, kohlrabi. To plant - beans, my current favorite is asian yardlong beans, and cucumbers.

(this post is a work in progress - trying to get organized for this long challenge - breaking it down into weeks so I don't get burnt out/lazy about it)

Week One April 11-17

April 14-18 we will be on camping trip in Ozark Mountains plus visiting family

Week Two April 18-24

Earth Day, Fri April 22! Plus the Farmer's Market opens Sat Apr 23. Then Easter - extra cake warning!!!

Wel Three April 25 - May 1

Start CSA deliveries this week?

May try the veggie cleanse diet this week

Week Four May 2-8

Another camping trip May 6

Week Five May 9-15

Week Six May 16-23

We are in southwest Arkansas - spitting distance from both Texas and Louisiana. We have had an unusually warm spring, even for us.

Right now in the garden, I have green onions, swiss chard, kale, lettuce, bok choy, spinach, all ready to eat and fading fast in this hot weather. Planted - brocolli, cabbage, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, herbs, potatoes, kohlrabi. To plant - beans, my current favorite is asian yardlong beans, and cucumbers.

Cool, I have family in that area. I have family in Benton, Bryant, LR and somewhere between Benton and Hot Springs. Sounds like an awesome garden. I had started some transplants myself, but they decide to melt.

Clark - SE TN, US
Married +3 boys (11,5,2)

Week One April 11-17

4-10 run 1 of 2, plus biking

4-11 beginner bodyweight workout 1 of 2

Week Two April 18-24

Earth Day, Fri April 22! Plus the Farmer's Market opens Sat Apr 23. Then Easter - extra cake warning!!!

Week Four May 2-8

Week Five May 9-15

Week Six May 16-23

Eww bad luck. Not too late to get some more plants and plug them in. Have you had a garden before?

I've kept a garden the last three years. Some stuff always melts not me, not sure why. My tomatoes and cucumber tend to grow rampant though. I usually get good results from my squashes also...if I can get them in the ground early enough for them to produce before squash bugs over run me.

Clark - SE TN, US
Married +3 boys (11,5,2)

I am jelous of everyone's garden! I live in an apartment and am known for killing plants lol..somehow my animals survive tho :)

Sorry Faline. My ability to grow plants seems to wax and wane with some mystical force that I am unaware of. Only animals I have to worry about are fish, they aren't difficult. :)

Clark - SE TN, US
Married +3 boys (11,5,2)

DECLUTTER: I have been working on this for a while and need to keep at it - I will be happy if I can get the seasonal clothes transition completed - that means winter clothes actually put away in storage, not left out in boxes till next fall LOL

A year ago during the season transition I decided to take the plunge and not pack up anything I didn't LOVE. If it didn't make me feel good to wear I didn't keep it. This was hard. There were several stock outfits that I wore because they did the job but they didn't make me feel good. Now somethings I loved not because they made me look fab but b/c there were super utilitarian so this wasn't all about fashion. But it was a huge relief to have less to put away. When I go into declutter mode I tell my self things like "be vigilant" "be ruthless" I've yet to regret getting rid of anything.

You can do it! Remember just 15 minutes. You can do anything for 15 minutes!

Level 2 Human Viking Assassin
STR - 2, DEX - 3, STA - 6, CON- 7 , WIS - 4, CHA - 5
Participated in & Finished Challenge 4/30/2012

Current Challenge:  Thread Link

http://www.brittanis.com Come to Brittanis. Live the Legend. 

Remember just 15 minutes. You can do anything for 15 minutes!

Setting the timer for 15 minutes is something I have never put aside as I go in and out of the flylady routine. It works so well for me! I tend to lose focus....

Such a hard tiring day to day at work today, then another just like it tomorrow, then a long car trip the next day, then sleeping in a tent with the low temp in the 30's, then ???what? What a week - I'll bet it would all seem wonderful if I could just ditch this headache. Amazing how a headache makes you lose your sense of humor...if I take any more advil I might need to have my stomach pumped.

On the brighter side, I worked so hard today that I burned over 1100 calories! Yikes

Wednesday - I am disappointed that I wasn't able to do my run - just too hard after the brutal heat at work, and too many chores to do trying to get out of town. I will be going on a hike Saturday, maybe that can count for the run, have to see how strenuous it is.

I have been sticking to my calorie budget so that aspect of the challenge is on track, at least.

Well, I am off to the wilderness for a few days, so may or may not get to internet service. I have not been camping in over 12 years, and my kids have never been at all. They are so excited! I am ...not so much... but I have an air mattress LOL so maybe I will get some sleep. See you all on the flip side!

Had a fun trip, but glad to be home. The weather turned so cold and windy that we opted to sleep indoors, but all our other outdoor plans remained the same (just colder LOL). Went walking/hiking everyday, and I was pleased that the longest hike we went on was a breeze for me, even though a lot of other people were complaining about how sore and tired they were. All that running is making a difference in real world activities!

I did not log my food while I was traveling as that is just more than I can cope with, but I did not overeat too much, even though my mother in law made me a lovely lemon chiffon cake - wonderfully delicious!

When we got home today (after a 6+ hour drive) I was too tired to try any running or bw exercises, but I went on a walk on my running trail and measured it again with an eye to running it in laps - I found a lap timer that I like for my iTouch. So tomorrow it is back to work, back to the routine, back to logging calories and exercise! Kind of looking forward to it now that I am home.

Week One April 11-17

4-10 run 1 of 2, plus biking

4-11 beginner bodyweight workout 1 of 2

Did quite a bit of hiking/walking while on my trip, so got in some good activity.

Managed not to evereat too much, although I laid off the food diary while traveling.

Week Two April 18-24

Tuesday: Run 1/2

Week Four May 2-8

Week Five May 9-15

Week Six May 16-23

WHEW it is hot (90F today)-muggy-steamy etc and about to have a storm blow through that should bring our temps down a bit.

On the running trail today I encountered a BIG WATER-MOCCASIN!!!!!!! And it is getting to be the time of year that spiders spin their webs in the evening across the trail - yuck!!!! Face full of spiderweb is no fun. Chasing zombies is pretend, but face full of spiderweb is real horror LOL.

So I did my run - tried a new app that is supposed to record laps but couldn't make any sense of it while I was actually running - gave up midway through and went back to a short run on my get running app and that was so nice and familiar.

Well off to the shower to rinse off the spiderwebs - out here in the boonies we lose power with many storms and when the power goes out the pump doesn't run and thus no shower. Better get it while I can.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines