peggysr's VERY First (Late) Challenge

peggysr

I'm totally new to Nerd Fitness, so be gentle with me.  A friend posted a link to the NF blog yesterday, and I'm really impressed with the site, so I'm signing up.

I'm starting with small manageable goals, and my husband is working out with me.  Hopefully this will be different from all the previous "I'm going to lose weight & get fit" kicks in our lives.

My fitness goals are

1. Complete a body weight workout 2-3 times every week (STR+5)
  2. Complete an interval training workout 2-3 times every week ( STA+5)

I know that doesn't sound very big, but it's HUGE for me.  This will be the first time in my adult life (all 30 years since I turned 18) that I've exercised consistently for 6 weeks. 

My level up my life goal is

1. two fun family outings in the next six weeks (CHA+5)

I want to spend more time with my husband and kids, and these outings need to be something we do together, involve at least mild exercise (like walking around a museum, hiking at a park, etc.) and may NOT involve any kind of media (movie at a theater, movie at home, video games together, etc.)

I've actually never played a video game and paid any attention to points, so I'm confused by that stuff, but willing to learn...

I've added total possible points for each goal.  Here's my grading plan:

For Workout Goals

A 13-15 workouts

B 10-12 workouts

C   7-9 workouts

D   4-6 workouts

F   0-3 workouts

For Family Outing Goal

A 2 outings

B 1 outing

F 0 outings

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

4/21

Body Weight Workout 1/2 for the week of 4/21

• 5 minute warmup  (we walked .9 miles because we LIKE walking)
  • Most of 1 circuit, which was enough because I thought I was ready to throw up, I had to walk around for 5 minutes to breathe normally, and my legs were wobbly)
  • 20 body weight squats
  • 10 push ups
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 10 dumbbell rows (using a 12 lb dumbell -- try a bigger one next time)
  • 15 second plank
  • 30 Jumping Jacks (I could only do 15)
  • Stretch (Lots of these because I LIKE stretching, and it's Sunday so I don't have a time crunch)

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

These are great goals! This time around mine are more focused on some kind of end result (like being able to do a certain amount of pushups), but last challenge I was like you and working on regularly commiting to exercising/a certain activity. I think that it's a great place to start, to focus more on how you are doing it than what exactly the results are going to be. I also will be doing some bodyweight workouts and MAYBE start trying to work in some interval training, best of luck to you!

Level 2 Ewok Adventurer
STR 7 | DEX 4 | STA 2 | CON 6 | WIS 8 | CHA 4

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Inventory - Babel fish

I think habit building goals are great for the 1st challenge.  Looks like you're doing the beginner's body weight workout (BBW) - which I love.  My beginning point was pretty much like yours - I started with 2 BBW/week, 2 intervals/week, and 1 long walk/week, with 2 rest days spaced out between.  The number of repetitions of each exercise in the BBW is a target and you shouldn't expect to reach them your first time out.  The workout is designed to be tailored to your level of fitness.  I recommend that you go way down on your reps, but try for 2 or 3 circuits.  So try 8 squats, 4 pushups, 8 lunges, 8 rows (with the same weight), a 10 second plank, and 10 jumping jacks (which I hate).  Then rest for 2 1/2 minutes, and go through again.  If you can make a 3rd circuit after another rest, go through again. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

4/22

Interval Training 1/2 for the week of 4/21

walked 5 min *ran 30 sec walked 2 min* 5 times, walked to cool off

total distance 1.8 miles, elapsed time ~40 min (that's a guess)

Timing is approximate because Ed just counted seconds.  I need to get a watch or timer to time more accurately. 

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

4/23

Body Weight Workout 2/2 for the week of 4/21

• TWO complete circuits with a 2 minute break in between
  • 20 body weight squats
  • 10 push ups
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 10 dumbbell rows (using a 20 lb dumbell -- the biggest one we have)
  • 20 second plank (or at least a slow deliberate count of 20)
  • 30 Jumping Jacks (I could only do 20)
  • Stretch (just a few)

Snoopy dance of celebration because we did two full circuits today.  Laureleye, thanks so much for the info that we can rest a little between circuits.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Those are great goals. I'm guilty of doing nothing but cardio and not touching any weights so maybe I should start working on body weight exercises next challenge. :P

How is the planning for a family fun day going?

Zeuel the level 1 Human
STR 2|DEX 1|CON 2|STA 1|WIS 1|CHA 3

Those are great goals. I'm guilty of doing nothing but cardio and not touching any weights so maybe I should start working on body weight exercises next challenge. :tongue:

How is the planning for a family fun day going?

It's tough, but I'm really proud of myself for getting through the body weight routine.

No definite plans for outings yet, but we're talking about a hike in the park this weekend and a visit to the Visionary Art museum next month.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

4/25

Interval Training 2/2 for the week of 4/21

Really sore, and running was excruciating, so I walked 1.8 miles. Not a major aerobic workout, but I stuck it out. I think I pulled something high on one of the adductor muscle in BOTH thighs.

I did download an interval timer and after today's debacle decided to increase warmup time to 10 minutes instead of 5.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Congrats on completing your intervals for the week! Hopefully a little rest and stretching will help your legs. I found that stretches directly after a run have really helped me, when it comes to sore muscles and joints. 

It's really wise of you to increase warm-up time. That's something I get really impatient with. I have a Garmin and I force myself to watch it regularly during my warm-ups or I'll move too quickly and end up with a sore something-or-other by the end of the run.

Level 1 HalflingSTR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2First Challenge

4/26

Body Weight Workout 3/2 for the week of 4/21

• 20 body weight squats
  • 10 push ups
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 30/25 second plank (or at least a slow deliberate count of 20)
  • 30 Jumping Jacks (I could only do 20)
  • Stretch (just a few)

4/27
Interval Training 3/2 for the week of 4/21

Downloaded a timer, and set it up for 10 minute warmup and 6 intervals of 30/120.  Completed four intervals successfully, walked through the fifth, and made it about halfway through the sixth.  Making progress!

I signed up for a 5k on June 23, so I've got a goal for this--I want to actually jog that race!

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Ooh, I like how you're adding dates. That's smart. Also, I dig that you're including the "week of" line. I'm gonna borrow that, if you don't mind.

Are you working through a particular program to get yourself up to the 5k distance? It's a great goal to have. There's so much crazy energy in a race.

5/1

Body Weight Workout 1/2 for the week of 4/28

• 20 body weight squats
  • 10 push ups
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 30/25 second plank (or at least a slow deliberate count of 20)
  • 30 Jumping Jacks (I could only do 25, which is more than last week!)
  • Stretch (especially focusing on leg stretches, and I had plenty of time so I stretched about half an hour)

I got COMPLETELY off track and didn't work out for several days, but I'm back on track now.  I worked out yesterday evening, and felt so good afterwards.  I need to remember that feeling.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Ooh, I like how you're adding dates. That's smart. Also, I dig that you're including the "week of" line. I'm gonna borrow that, if you don't mind.

Are you working through a particular program to get yourself up to the 5k distance? It's a great goal to have. There's so much crazy energy in a race.

Feel free to borrow!  That's the idea of a community; we help each other along.

I'm doing intervals, and hoping to work up to 5k.  I've got about 8 weeks, and I figure if I stick with the intervals, gradually increasing my pace, I'll get there.  Right now, I can't even finish 6 intervals with a 30 second jog/2 minute walk pattern, but every time I run I do a little better.  My current total distance is 1.8 miles, so I need to almost double that.  Hopefully I'll get the point I can do 30 second run/90 second jog intervals.

I know I can WALK that far--my husband and I do that much occasionally.  After a few weeks, I may start doing a longer run once a week.  4 loops around our neighborhood is 3.6 miles.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

My wife and I started by working through the Couch 2 5k, for our 5k training. It has an interval setup, where you walk for some time and then run for some time. We had a hard time keeping up with it, so we just started running as far as we could. Each week we'd go out just a little bit further. It worked for us (we're up to almost 5 miles now). We don't run at a fabulous pace, but I've mostly made peace with that.

Kudos for you and long walks! I think they're great exercise and they give you and the hubby some active conversation time. Both wins in my department.

5/2

Interval Training 1/2 for the week of 4/28

Out of town for a long weekend, but I made time for a workout.  The ground is flatter here, so I completed all six intervals reasonably well.  I'm still learning how to use the interval timer.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

5/7

Interval Training 1/2 for the week of 5/4

Dropped the ball on working out while out of town, but I'm getting back on track.

Ran 3 intervals, walked through the 4th, ran 5 and 6

Still struggling with breathing smoothly and comfortably while running.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

5/8

Body Weight Workout 1/2 for the week of 5/4

• 5 minute warmup  (I walked .9 miles because I LIKE walking)
  • THREE complete circuits with a 1 or 2 minute break in between
  • 20 body weight squats
  • 10 push ups
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 30 second plank
  • 30/30/zero Jumping Jacks
  • Stretch

I'm doing the Snoopy dance of joy because I did THREE circuits for the first time today.  The Jumping Jacks are very hard on my ankles, but I managed two sets of 30, the first time I've done 30 in a row.  I skipped the last set because my ankles were sore and I was pooped.  I'm also really proud of myself for doing 30 second planks.

I'm having trouble being consistent, but it helps that even when I blow a week, there are other weeks to try again.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

5/9

Interval Training 2/2 for the week of 5/4

Jogged each of the 6 30 second intervals for the first time, although the tradeoff is much slower jogging.  I've gotten a handle on how the interval timer works, and am thinking about getting a watch that times intervals since carrying the phone is a slight pain.  My shins are very annoyed by all this work, but I'm hoping I can work through this and be okay.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

5/10

Body Weight Workout 2/2 for the week of 5/4

• Only two circuits with a 1 or 2 minute break in between, feeling queasy and tired
  • 20 body weight squats
  • 10 push ups
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 30 second plank
  • 30/30/zero Jumping Jacks
  • Stretch

5/11

Interval Training 3/2 for the week of 5/4

Worked on distance today--walked 3 loops (2.7 miles)

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

5/16

Body Weight Workout 1/2 for the week of 5/12

I really hate Jumping Jacks, so I've dropped them.

• Three full circuits with a 1 or 2 minute break in between
  • 20 body weight squats
  • 10 push ups - next week try toes instead of knees!
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 10 dumbbell rows (using a 20 lb dumbell - next week try pairing dumbells)
  • 35 second plank - added 5 seconds!
  • 20 shoulder things with a 5 lb dumbell
  • 20 thigh things
  • Stretch

5/18

Interval Training 1/2 for the week of 5/12

Worked on distance today--finished 3 loops (3.6 miles) including one full set of intervals and the first interval of a second set.  ALSO decreased the rest time from 2 min to 90 seconds.  So this was

• 10 min warmup walk
  • 30 second jog/ 90 second walk 6 times
  • 5 min cooldown walk
  • 10 min warmup walk
  • 30 second jog/90 second walk 1 time
  • walk for a total of 60 min

I noticed that I seem to alternate weeks with 5-6 workouts and weeks with 2 workouts.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

5/20

Body Weight Workout 1/2 for the week of 5/19

I'm staying with a friend, but still working out.  (I really hate Jumping Jacks, so I've dropped them.)

• 5 minute warmup  (I walked, perhaps too far because the circuits were TOUGH)
  • Three full circuits with a 1 or 2 minute break in between
  • 20 body weight squats
  • 10 push ups - I couldn't even do ONE on toes instead of knees!
  • 20 walking lunges - getting better at balancing for these - work toward using NO support.
  • 10 dumbbell rows (using a pair of dumbells for a total of 18 pounds because that's what my friend has)
  • 42 second plank - added 7 seconds!
  • 20 shoulder things with a 5 lb dumbell
  • 20 thigh things
  • Stretch

5/22

Interval Training 1/2 for the week of 5/19

This was the first HOT day, and it really impacted my workout.  I've been struggling with shin splints and today they were very painful, so I only ran 4 intervals.  I need to get new shoes to see if that helps.  So this was

• 10 min warmup walk
  • 30 second jog/ 90 second walk 4 times
  • walk for a total of 27 min

5/25

Interval Training 2/2 for the week of 5/19

Shins are still very painful, so I took it easy and walked 3 loops (2.7 miles)

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Wrap up

High level, I got stronger, and learned a lot.  I didn't do a GREAT job of working out, but I stuck with it, paid attention to my body, and changed how I see myself.  I am a person who works out.  That sentence is a HUGE change in my world view.  I'm looking forward to the next challenge, and getting better and stronger.

I rewarded my self generously and bought a copy of Pema Chodron's Don't Bite the Hook audiobook and the Rebel Fitness Guide.  My interim reward was a 10 minute chat with fitness minded friend for every workout.  She was AWESOME, and I was so glad for the steady encouragement.

My fitness goals were

1. Complete a body weight workout 2-3 times every week (STR+5)
  2. Complete an interval training workout 2-3 times every week ( STA+5)

Grading

A (100%) 13-15 workouts

B  (75%)  10-12 workouts

C  (50%)    7-9 workouts

D  (25%)    4-6 workouts

F    (0%)    0-3 workouts

Week 1 (4/21) - 3 Body Weight 3 Interval

Week 2 (4/28) - 1 Body Weight 1 Interval

Week 3 (5/4)   - 2 Body Weight 3 Interval

Week 4 (5/12) - 1 Body Weight 1 Interval

Week 5 (5/19) - 1 Body Weight 2 Interval

TOTAL               8                    10

C                     B

50%x5=STR+2.5     75%x5=3.75

My level up my life goal was

1. two fun family outings in the next six weeks (CHA+5)

I totally dropped the ball on this, so no points.

Old Sig

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Level 1 Lycan Adventurer

Intro (STR -2  | DEX-2 | STA-2 | CON-2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3)

Challenge 1 (+1 WIS, Fire Flower)

New Sig

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Level 2 Lycan Adventurer

Intro (STR: 4.5  | DEX: 2 | STA: 5.75 | CON: 2 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 3)

Challenge 1 (+1 WIS, Fire Flower, +2.5 STR, +3.75 STA)

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines