Seabright Wants the T-Shirt 6-Week Challenge

Yes, I'll be taking a picture of myself (shudder) later this evening, as part of the Greatest Contest in the History of the World. Argh - the angels will weep.

Fitness Goals:

1. Follow the Body Weight Brigade part of the Rebel Strength Guide, 3 x a week.

2. Walk/Run 3 x a week to train for 10K in July (couch to 10K).

3. Write down what I eat as part of the Greatest Contest in the History of the World 6 week challenge.

Diet Goals:

Hard-core, no-excuses Paleo! I can do it!

Life Goals:

1. Practice bass (slaps and arrangements) 15 mins per day, minimum 4 x a week (M-Th). Gig days count as a practice day.

2. Get that home office set up.

3. A fearless sliding stop from a hell-bent-for-leather seriously-running-into-the-next-zip-code speed.

Long-Term Goals, of which the above are stepping stones to achieving:

1. Shake this freakin' chronic cough.

2. Swing the 40 lb ranch saddle up without catching the leathers underneath.

3. Fearlessly box one in the corner, turn him back along the fence at speed, and then circle him up both ways, also at speed.

4. Slap the bass like it owes me money.

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

I was too excited and started early:

Diet Goal:

Created an eating strategy for breakfast and lunch, my biggest challenges. Went to store and bought supplies. Will dice onions and chop red bells later this evening and put them in containers so they are ready to go for the a.m. egg scrambles.

Life Goals:

1. Found a fairly good-looking desk and hutch combo on Amazon and placed the order. It'll arrive in a week or so, so now more urgency around carving out a space in the back room.

2. My little cow pony pal is down for the count with a pulled muscle. Rode 'Mouse' instead, a 16+ hand quarter horse mare. New horse, new feel. And, I heard the 'I'm going to die' chant start up in my head. But ya know what? I thought of this board and of my goals and felt my planks in my gut and my bent-knee push-ups in my heart and it was a beautiful morning and I sat down and flung my hand out and asked her to go and whaddya know: gallop! Not just a controlled lope, not just a, oh, little bit faster. Gallop, I say! Gallop! Big Time! Woooo Hoooooooo!

Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

On track!

Fitness Goal:

Did Body Weight Brigade workout A before breakfast. Arms and legs now successfully sore.

Diet Goal:

Breakfast of scrambled eggs, onions, red bell peppers and spinach.

Lunch of sliced turkey on mixed greens with cherry tomatoes, green onions, scallions, and some killer olive oil and vinegar dressing. (Note to self: this salad has to be HUGE tomorrow!)

Snack of crunchie-sweet fuji apple and 1/2 banana.

Dinner - well, still trying to get out of the office. Someone decided it would be a good idea to have a conference call from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. and it is now running late. Am starving and the vending machine calls. I refuse to be derailed, though! Will hang tough 'til I get home, then it's chicken and a pile o' veges.

Life Goals:

I practiced slapping my bass for 20 minutes before I got called back to work for the aforementioned lame 6:00 pm call.

So far so good!

Human Adventurer

Go bass players! Of course, if you're hardcore, you would do the Body weight brigade with a bass strapped to your back :).

Isn't that Level 2? I haven't turned the page, yet.

Human Adventurer

Day 2!

Fitness:

Did my little walk/run before breakfast. I am a fan of both Jeff Galloway and Jonathan Bingham (No Need for Speed!), and train accordingly. Ergo, I'm a penguin. 4.5 mins walking to 1.5 mins running (or 'wogging') for 45 mins.

Diet:

Paleo'd here to hell and gone. Same breakfast as before but more eggs. Same lunch as before but more turkey. Apple for snack. Heading home to practice slapping that puppy followed by same dinner as last night. (Stick with a winner, I say.) If up for it, I may try to make a little apple-blueberry-cinnamon-nutmeg-walnut dessert I just thought of. No sugar, flower or rolled oats. I'll report back tomorrow.

Life Goals:

Playing bass for 15 mins when I get home. I have a new song I've worked out on the guitar, now need to sing and put some guts into on the dog house. If time before my sit-in-front-of-the-TV-for-the-rest-of-the-evening cycle starts, will go through my closet in order to make room for things currently stored in the armoire which needs to be put on craigslist and sold so I can have room for my new desk. (Next step: clear a path to the armoire.)

Still on track!

Human Adventurer

If up for it, I may try to make a little apple-blueberry-cinnamon-nutmeg-walnut dessert I just thought of. No sugar, flower or rolled oats. I'll report back tomorrow.

Turned out to be a bad idea to eat this entirely healthy little dessert too soon after a mountain of chicken and veges. Serious stomach ache! Do not try this at home!

Human Adventurer

You have some great goals! A 10k, wow you've got more guts than I do! Great start by the way!

It's easy when you only worry about finishing some time during the same day you start! When I ran a marathon some years ago I did the Anchorage Marathon on June 21...24 hours of daylight!

Human Adventurer

Day 3 - First Paleo-y Gig Day!

Fitness Goal:

Did Body Weight Workout B before breakfast. Found a set of monkey bars at a playground on my run yesterday, just right for inverted row chin-ups and pull-ups. Will shift the set of chins to run day, since I'll be swinging by there 3 times per week.

Diet Goal:

Strikingly similar to Days 1 and 2, breakfast and lunch wise. Had a gig tonight, so had a plan. Ate an apple on the drive to the gig (instead of the usual 2 Snickers bars and a Diet Coke), ate grilled chicken breast and a salad at the venue (instead of vege burger and fries), with a cup of black coffee. This lasted me through all three sets, no problemo! Had a banana in my car for the ride home (instead of the usual 2 pieces of apple pie).

Life Goal:

Gig day counts as practice day. We rocked the joint, so it was definitely a little bonus cardio workout, too.

It's getting late and I have to watch American Idol, so I'll check in with my awesome new squad-mates tomorry.

On track!

Human Adventurer

Day 4!

Fitness Goal:

Did my walk/jog (will from now on call it a 'wog') before breakfast. 5 mins fast walk to warm up, then 4.5 mins walking to 1.5 mins jogging for 45 mins. Stopped at the playground and tried out the inverse rows. They were hard and I couldn't do very many, but I have to admit that I felt myself glowing with awesomeness at giving them a try. Next time: more.

Diet Goal:

Breakfast - 3 egg scramble with spinach, bell peppers and onion

Lunch - steamed salmon (lots) and zucchini

Dinner - huge turkey burgers seasoned with herbs de provence and plenty of salt and pepper, no bun, no ketchup/mustard/bbq sauce/honey etc. Huge pile o' broc with onion and red bells.

Life Goal:

Slaps and scales for 20 mins before making dinner.

Got the ship notice from Amazon. Desk will be here in a few days.

On track!

Human Adventurer

Oh I miss riding, I used to have so much fun.

The horses are still out there, nicolakgreen, just a-waitin' for ya.

Human Adventurer

Day 5 (yesterday):

Fitness Goal:

Workout A of the Body Weight Brigade. Hmmm. Squats seem a bit harder than last time. Went a bit deeper on the bent-knee push-ups, though. When I can do a bunch consistently, will switch to regular push-ups (and, you know, far fewer reps).

Diet Goal:

Same breakfast and lunch. Both very easy to prepare. Stick with a winner!

Dinner: chicken fajita mix (seasoned chicken breast, red & yellow bell peppers), added a mountain of broccoli and ate out of a bowl - no tortilla. Had a sip of red wine, but...blech! Tasted horrible. Dumped it out and went back to good ol' h2o.

Life Goal:

Made serious in-roads on the home office front! Armoire now on craigslist. Contents of armoire now on floor. Baby steps.

Spent around 2 hours on the clear-out of my closet and drawers, working to make room for the aforementioned armoire contents. Have 3 bags of goods to donate, with more coming. Look out, Good Will! I think I've got another 2 hours to go on the closet project.

On track!

Human Adventurer

Day 6!

Fitness Goal:

- Rest Day and not a minute too soon. Quads are very achy.

Diet Goal:

- Added bacon to the morning breakfast regime. Mmmmmmmm. Bacon.

- Lunch the ol' turkey salad standby.

- Dinner will be boneless skinless chicken breast grilled with a bit of basil, accompanied by my famous cooked-until-crispy leeks, brussel sprouts and garlic side. Yum.

Life Goal:

- Serious inroads on the closet project. Mountains of stuff to give to Good Will. Closet now ready to receive armoire contents.

- I also got out there and bought new running shoes in support of my long-term 10K-in-July goal. Woo hoo! While I was there, I tried on a groovy pair of sunglasses. My husband said, "They make you look like a bad-ass." Sold! Wrap it up, I'll take it!

On track and feelin' good!

Human Adventurer

Thanks, LynnyLee! I am Druiding on!

Day 7 (yesterday)!

Fitness Goal:

Couldn't sleep so got up at 6:30 a.m. and took my new shoes out for a spin. Stopped at the playground mid-wog and did 4 sets of 4 inverted row thingies. Can real pull-ups be far behind?

Diet Goal:

Breakfast - Same scrambled eggs and veges with that thick-cut bacon. Why is bacon so darn tasty?

Lunch - Hearty salad as per the usual.

Dinner - Okay, this was a challenge. Another gig day, this one up in San Francisco at a raucous bar in the Haight, about 2 hours away. Stopped at my favorite quickie mart on the way up and bought a bottled water and some almonds instead of the usual Diet Coke and king-sized Snickers Bar. Dinner was included as part of our pay, and they had a mighty fine grilled salmon salad on the menu. That and black coffee almost held me over through the end of the gig...but not quite. Starving by the end. But hey! Aforethought a-plenty! I had a big apple and a tangelo in my car for the ride home. Didn't even need to stop for my usual post-gig packet of Donette Gems. :-)

Also, bonus cardio workout at the gig, and I have the blisters and the sweat-soaked cowboy hat to prove it!

Life Goal:

Bagged up all the giveaway stuff for the Good Will and noted down items and condition for 2011 taxes.

Entering Week 2 of the Greatest Contest in the History of the World in good shape!

Human Adventurer

Day 8!

Fitness Goal:

Workout B of bodyweight brigade. Did a 3 more bent-knee push-ups than last time!

Diet Goal:

Breakfast - stopped at The Buttery and ordered the #2 Breakfast Sandwich...without the bread or cheese. Just eggs and bacon. They gave me a funny look, but served it to me on a nice plate.

Lunch - sticking with the turkey, avocado, cherry tomato salad. It's never done me wrong.

Snack - starving! starving by 3pm! Had a fruit salad of bananas, blueberries and strawberries.

Dinner - grilled chicken w/basil and mountain o' broc, onions and bells.

Am starting to feel hungry all the freakin' time, now.

Life Goal:

Fingers still sore and blistered from last night, so watched my new Marshall Wilburne slap-bass instructional DVD, focusing on the triples. I now have a couple of more structured exercises to work on when my fingertips are back in action.

No riding lesson last weekend, what with the gig, shoe-buying and all-day closet clean-up. Am experiencing EWS (Equine Withdrawal Syndrome). May have to have a 'doctor's appointment' in the next couple of days...you know, the kind that takes you down to the ranch.

I just realized that I haven't weighed myself today. Now dark and cold and raining and the scale is in the basement. Will do in the a.m.

Moving forward!

Human Adventurer

Day 9!

Fitness Goal:

Did my pre-breakfast wog and stopped for 4 sets of 4 inverted rows. Gorgeous morning!

Diet Goal:

Pre-Breakfast - tangelo

Breakfast - the usual scramble.

Lunch - freakin' starving by 11:30 a.m. Had the good ol' turkey, avocado, cherry tomato salad. Still hungry so had another one. I kid you not.

Snack - fuji apple - crunchy and sweet

Dinner - starving. Made a turkey burger and had a double-huge mountain o' broc, onions and bells.

I'm always hungry now! Starving! Starving! Ravenously hungry! Staying Paleo, though, hanging tough. I will admit, though, that I thought about waffles with maple syrup for the entire second half of my morning shuffle/amble.

Life Goal:

The desk for the home office space arrived today! Yippee! Contacted by 2 people about the armoire, so hoping it will be sold tomorrow.

Fingers still a tad sore, but Sunday's gig day counted as a practice day, so still on track with bass playing.

Am planning on having a fruit salad snack around 9pm or so. I know I'll be hungry.

Still on track, and week 2 is only harder than week 1 due to this constantly-being-hungry thing. The Greatest Contest in the History of the World keeps me going strong!

Human Adventurer

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines