67alecto Rennt

Garden is coming along - plants are in, and I hammered in the border last night. Need to get some landscape fabric and mulch in, and then set the rain barrel up.

5k work hasn't started - I stepped on a nail head 2 days before the challenge started. I initially thought it was a pebble, so I tried to kicked it away. Ouch. Still hurts.

Week 2 Exhaustion test for 100 pushups is tonight

Did 38 pushups on the week 2 exhaustion test. My son bent his toenail back, and only managed 18 (I offered to delay, but he wanted to do them...he wouldn't even put shoes on...the kid is hardcore), but I told him we'd count it as 25+ since he did 24 on his initial test.

So on to week 3 and level 3.

Stuff that comes back every year: 2 blackberry bushes and 1 pear tree. We make jam, and more with these.

We also have a pear tree that is coming up on 5 years old, looks like we might get some this year for the first time.

Veggies: tomatoes (roma, etc), broccoli

Peppers: jalapeno, tabasco, poblano, habanero

Fruit: strawberries, raspberry (the raspberry survived the winter, but the strawberries did not so we planted new ones).

Herbs: Marjoram

We also planted two apple trees, but they are 18months away from bearing fruit.

Yeah, I was in Week 4 before when I switched to a dumbbell workout. I plan to push through this time. To supplement it, I'm doing some other bodyweight exercises as well as some resistance band work.

Today was errands in the morning while it was gray and gloomy. Sun finally came out, so we got the strawberries in the ground which involved digging out more sod and relocating it to some bare patches. Also got to lug some bags of mulch around.

I took the rain barrel out from under the deck and set it up. This year, I have 4 cinderblocks under it to help when using the hose on it, so I had to use the hacksaw to cut off more of the gutter and re-route it over the barrel.

While all of this was going on, my son was playing with the girl next door, so once I was done, I rode my bike to the park (~1 mile) with them so they could play on the equipment (they rode their scooters). While they played, I did dips on the bench.

Completed Week 3, Day 2 of 100 pushups = 20, 25, 15, 15, 25+ (I did 28 on the last set, my son did 26..yay me). I then did 5 pushups with my daughter (~40lbs) on my back. I thought my head was going to pop off from the strain.

After a little rest, I then did 20 minutes of tabata style resistance band work.

Curls, overhead, rows, chest fly, bench press, tricep extensions. 6 sets of 20 seconds each with 10 seconds of rest in between and 40 seconds between exercises (which also includes time to set up for it). Dripping with sweat and my upper body is jelly right now.

Was initially planning on running again on 4/18, but ended up needing to do a lot of work in the yard after getting home from work.

Got the kids some dinner and then I mowed, watered, put in a border around the strawberry patch, and stomped on sod which took about 2 hours.

Collapsed on the couch for a little bit, then went to bed.

Now, early Wed morning, and DOMS from Sunday night's tabata-style strength workout is kicking my butt. I'm walking around with my arms slightly curled because I can't straighten them, shoulders are sore....lots of fun.

Should be even more fun tonight with Day 3 of Week 3 of 100 pushups followed by more strength work with the resistance bands and dumbbells.

Took my landscaping on the road - freshed up a landscaped area in my mom's yard for her birthday.

Took everything out, weeded it, stained the logs, put two new bird feeders in, put a new birdbath in and moved the other one around to be symmetrical, and then added new mulch over it.

Posted Image

Fairly low-key day. Cleared off some shows from my DVR. Put in a new rain gauge, and hung a new basketball net (and raised my rim to regulation height...it's been too low ever since we moved here, I guess).

Did my strength training tonight - overhead, chest fly, lateral raises, rows, bench, curls

Fairly low-key day. Cleared off some shows from my DVR. Put in a new rain gauge, and hung a new basketball net (and raised my rim to regulation height...it's been too low ever since we moved here, I guess).

Did my strength training tonight - overhead, chest fly, lateral raises, rows, bench, curls

Ack, after midnight, but I wanted to get this posted.

Saturday was pushups, and a night off from the tabata strength training.

Did Day 1 of Week 4, and it's getting to the tough weeks. Did 21, 25, 21, 21, and 32+ (I did 34, my son managed the 32).

Ran a 5k tonight. First time ever.

Did it in 36:12, which works out to an overall pace of 11:39.

Now, I'll add 3 qualifications to that - I was sore from doing 160 pushups yesterday, I hadn't run in 5 weeks (I got a 2.25 mile jog in while in California, but every since weather was cold, raining, or I was working on the garden, and with both of those in mind, my overall goal was to complete the distance and not worry so much about pace. I checked it at the 1 mile mark - I did that one in 10:50, but then didn't check again.

So, now I have the mental hurdle cleared...I CAN run 3.1 miles without stopping.

Battling DOMS today from the squats, but I decided to run anyway to get the blood flowing. Did 1 mile, which I did in 10:30. Which works out to...drum roll please...a 10:30 mile split.

I also built a spreadsheet with 11 strength exercises and 9 bodyweight exercises that will randomize a workout of 4 strength and 2 bodyweight exercises that I can do Tabata-style (6 sets of 20 seconds, with 10 seconds between each set, and 40 seconds between exercises).

Lastly, I ordered a heavy resistance band from Amazon.