Barefooted - Press [START] to begin

barefooted

Aloha,

I'm Barefooted, a level1 Halfling. I am five foot, four inches and 153lbs of future Scout. I started this adventure in February at 165 and I am aiming for a healthy 140lbs. I just graduated to 4 miles on my long runs this week! My knees and ankles are aching :-) I'm still struggling to achieve my first, unassisted pull-up. It will happen.

For my current goals I have:

1) Earn more WW activity points than weekly points that I eat. [+1CHA]

2) Run one long run (4 or more miles) and at least two short runs per week [+1 STA]

3) Back exercises at least twice a week (I'm coming for you, pull-up) [+1 STR]

4) Spend at least 16 hours/week on average building a workout app. [+1 WIS]

What I'm doing:

1) Tracking my food and activity via WW. Working out three+ days a week.

2) I increase my long run by a mile every three weeks, so I'm on target here -- my level 25 goal is to run a half

3) Angry Birds workout. I'm not making near the progress with pull-ups that I wanted. I chose this goal to motivate me.

4) I've started an app to track my workouts. I'd like to submit it, once it's ready.

Level 1 HalflingSTR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2First Challenge

You can do it!! And that is grea that you are trying to track things. I have a husband for that cause i'm not too good at tracking things.. except maybe where the kids are and where a million different things have to be in the house since I seem to be the only one to know where things are *lol* Who has times to track things like fitness.? YOu that is who! And i'm sure you are just killing it and doing a great job!

You will get the pull up... keep practcing and one day that first pull up will feel like a real win for you! My husband is still trying for that as well and that will be a great day! 

That is great that you made an app for the tracking. I'm sure it will be just what you want.. as you created it! and you can't really get mad at the person who made the app *lol*. Keep up the good work and you will be where you want to be!

Joyness

Race: Human

Level 1

Class: Adventurer

Strength: 2 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 2 | Constitution: 5 | Wisdom: 4 | Charisma: 1

Joyfullyme, Thanks for encouragement. You rock! I'm sure my missus feels the same way when I ask her where something is: "Why do I have to keep track of all the things?" On top of all that she also seems to know when everything happens. It's a gift and a curse.

Brmiller0808, so far the only leg work I do is body squats on run days. They really zap my legs, so I've been debating the sanity of leg strength training after my runs.

Day 1  [April 23, Week 2: April 22-28]

1. I ran, lifted, and walked for 10 points, I ate 0 weekly. I'm on track!
  2. I got one of my shorter runs in (2.34 miles)

3. I did assisted pull-ups at the gym (that machine that pushes you up by your knees). I couldn't gain access to the Smith Machine for inverted rows, they were all taken every time I swung by them.

4. I spent 0  hours working on the app :(

3/4, that's not too bad. I have plenty of week left to get 4) on track. Go, go, go!

so far the only leg work I do is body squats on run days. They really zap my legs, so I've been debating the sanity of leg strength training after my runs.

When I first started running, I had to do some serious leg strength training - every other day. It had priority over running because I knew I would never be as good a runner as I wanted until I had legs that would support my crappy knees and ankles. I do calf raises, lunges and different types of squats. I highly recommend easing up on the runs and work on leg strength. It helped me and maybe it can help you.

Good luck and can't wait to see more progress - also, don't beat yourself up too bad on the app progress. Move on to the next day and do better. 

wake up. kick butt. repeat.

Level 2 Adventurer

WIS 6.5 || CON 1 || STA 2 || STR 3 || CHA 1.5

1st Challenge

2nd Challenge

Thanks for the advice, Miller! I skipped yesterday's squats because my ankles were sore.  From what you're telling me, I probably should have gone the other way (skipping the run and keeping the squats).

I should do some soul/joint searching tonight and see if I can't identify the muscles that are connected to my sore areas and plan workouts to strengthen them. I really hate to cut down on my running, but I can't argue with your wisdom. Until my body can happily hold the weight, adding more miles is just going to add more stress.

I hate not running too. But I know that if I don't treat my body the right way, I won't be able to run AT ALL. And that would REALLY suck. You may want to look into your shoe choice and running form as well. I used to have crappy form - too much heal - which caused my whole body to ache. 

wake up. kick butt. repeat.

Level 2 Adventurer

WIS 6.5 || CON 1 || STA 2 || STR 3 || CHA 1.5

1st Challenge

2nd Challenge

Day 2  [April 24, Week 2: April 22-28]

1) Earn more WW activity points than weekly points that I eat:

I ate 0 weekly points, earned 6 activity. Yay!

2) Run one long run (4 or more miles) and at least two short runs per week.

A short 1.4 mile run, followed by some squats and calf raises. This also counts toward the current mini-challange (15mins of running a day).
3) Back exercises at least twice a week (I'm coming for you, pull-up)

Yesterday wasn't a back day; no win, no loss. 
4) Spend at least 16 hours/week on average building a workout app.

I caught up on Game of Thrones last night, no app development. 

Day 3  [April 25, Week 2: April 22-28]

I ate 0 weekly points, earned 5 activity today. I'm actually under my daily by 5 points (roughly 200 calories). I'm not hungry, so I'm not going to worry.

Today was a medium run for me, closer to 2 miles. I had a running buddy, a coworker. That was a fun change.

No back work today. Hitting the gym in the morning with the missus.

Thanks, brmiller0808, for the reminder. I got in 2.5hrs of app work this evening. 

Ok, first up I should assign a level's allotment of points.

1. Diet - If I'm honest with myself, I want to lose weight so I look good. So I'm allotting my points to CHA, [+4 CHA]
  2. Run - This is really all STA [+4 STA]
  3. Back - This seems to be all STR to me [ +4 STR]
  4. This is a really hard one to peg. WIS feels closest, as it is the experience I'm shooting for. [+3 WIS] 

Now, I do believe that's 15 points.  On to the grading.

Diet

This is a weekly goal, and I'm only in the competition for nigh on 5 weeks. So, I'm thinking I should break it down by week:

1 Weeks : 0 points

2 Weeks : 1 points

3 Weeks : 2 points

4 Weeks : 3 points

5 Weeks : 4 points

Run

This goal is similarly done by week, so the same breakdown seems reasonable:

1 Weeks : 0 points

2 Weeks : 1 points

3 Weeks : 2 points

4 Weeks : 3 points

5 Weeks : 4 points

Back

I'd like to give my self a bit of motivation to hit the gym more than 2/week on average. So I'm going to break it down a little differently than the previous two.

Workouts per point:

00-05 : 0 points

06-08 : 1 points

09-11 : 2 points 

12-14 : 3 points

>= 15 : 4 points -- I wanted incentives for working out 3/week. I don't expect to go over 15.

App

While this is also setup to be weekly trackable, I'd like to measure it by hours, since some weeks are busier than others, but there's no real downside to pushing harder one week (unlike running twice in a single day). My goal is to do 80 hours in the 5 weeks I have for the challenge.

Hours per point

00-26 : 0 points

26-52 : 1 points

52-78 : 2 points

>= 80 : 3

I think that's it. I am kinda late on getting that all tidied up, but better late than never.

Barefooted, thanks for commenting on my challenge thread.  Your goals look great!  I'm hoping to work up to your running level someday, but it's a long way off.

I'm finding that the strength training is really important too.  I hope a little focus on that helps with your pain when you run.  Good luck!

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Day 4 [April 26, Week 2: April 22-28]

Friday was a bit rough, diet wise. I opted for a burger at a local place without checking the calories first. I have no idea what was in that sauce, but it was 50% more than expected. After work I went out and had a couple of beers with the guys. I had a blast, but nearly offset my week's activity points. I'm not going to beat myself up over it, I had fun and I'm still on track.

The craziest thing, and the reason this post is so late, is that I had a latte yesterday afternoon. I don't normally drink caffeine, so I knew it would keep me awake. I didn't realize how long it would keep me awake. I didn't hit the sack until 0800 this morning. Yikes!

I drank 24 weekly points, earned 5 activity today. I'm still ahead, but just barely with 26 activity, 24 weekly.
I ran 1.4 miles, keeping with the 15 minutes for mini-challange #2 and getting another short run in.

Back exercises! I did 12-6-4, so I finally broke a total of twenty, but not enough to level.
No app work. I went out with the guys for drinks.

Workout summary:

Plank : 3-1

Inverted Rows : 12-6-4

Push-Ups : 20-15-6

I think I'm going to start adding a third set to my exercises, even when I hit my goal.

Barefooted, thanks for commenting on my challenge thread.  Your goals look great!  I'm hoping to work up to your running level someday, but it's a long way off.

I'm finding that the strength training is really important too.  I hope a little focus on that helps with your pain when you run.  Good luck!

Thanks!

I have no doubt you will be running as far as you want someday. All it takes is diligence; the time is going to pass anyway, we may as well use it to train.

Day 5  [April 27, Week 2: April 22-28]

I ate 0 weekly points, earned 4 activity today. Weekly total: 30 activity, 24 weekly.

Saturday was a short run for me, 1.5 miles in 22 minutes.

No back work, I was beat from the run. I got 3 hour sleep and I couldn't recover enough to lift :(

I got an hour in. I'm really down for the week 3.5/16 hours.

Sunday is my long run. I'm a little down about the app work. I know I won't hit my goal this week, I won't have enough time Sunday. But, that just gives me room for improvement next week. 

Day 6  [April 28, Week 2: April 22-28]

Saturday wasn't as great as I'd hoped, mostly due to lack of sleep Friday Night. So, I hit the sack early, then got up and ran. Boy did I. Did you know the treadmill at my gym will only let you run for an hour. I didn't until today. Man, the moment when it said: "60mins is the maximum time" and started its cool down program I felt like king of the world. Hopefully, my legs won't kill me tomorrow. They feel much better this evening than they did on my last long run. 

I ate 0 weekly points, earned 11 activity. Long run for the calorie deficit win!

It was nasty rain out, so the missus and I took our run to the gym. I went 4.55 today (including the warm-up and cool-down walk). I think I could have gone 5 or more.  We'll see how my legs do over the next couple days.

No back exercises today.

I got two hours in, not enough to make up for the lost time during the week.

Summary for the Week:

1) Diet - Ate 24, Exercised for 41.

2) Run - Thanks to the mini-challange, I have 5 short runs and 1 long run.

3) Strength - 2 rounds of back exercises. I wanted two or more per week, so I'm cool-in-the-gang here.

4) App - 5.5/16. I fell way below my target. I must work harder here next week.

Day 7  [April 29, Week 3: April 29-May 5]

I ate 1 weekly points, earned 4 activity. Total: 1/4

Short run before strength training: 1 mile in 15 mins

Back exercises. I did the 24 inverted rows in 3 sets.

I got one hour in, most of it was reading tech manuals, but I'll count it.

Workout summary:

Plank : 3-2-1

Inverted Rows : 12-8-4

Push-Ups : 28-12-6

I have progress on all three fronts. I'm rather happy about that.  I move my plank workouts up to 360 seconds next time (Level 6, baby!). I move back exercises from inverted rows to pull-ups! I still haven't pushed (get it) into the next level for push-ups, but I did make some progress, getting in a few more this time.

I'm really excited and a bit afraid about doing pull-ups in the gym. Part of me worries that I'll hang on the bar and struggle, impotently, as I try to get my body to defy gravity and move upward. My plan is to try it out on Wednesday and see how many (if any) I can do. What I can't do on my own, I'll use the pull-up assist machine to augment, aiming for 10 in 3 sets with as little assistance as possible.

Day 8  [April 30, Week 3: April 29-May 5]

I ate 6 weekly points, earned 5 activity. Total: 7/9

Short run at lunch.

No strength today.

I got one and a half hours in: 2.5 for the week.

Day 9  [May 1 Week 3: April 29-May 5]

I ate 1 weekly points, earned 0 activity. Total: 8/9

No run today.

No strength today.

I got one hour in: 3.5 for the week.

I've come down with a bug. I got no exercise in but I was able to get a bit more work on the app :)

Day 10 [May 2 Week 3: April 29-May 5]

I ate 0 weekly points, earned 2 activity. Total: 8/11
No run today.
I got a few pull-ups in on my stairs at home.
I got four hours in: 7.5 for the week.

I was still sick, I couldn't complete my normal workout, because I got light headed. Sitting on the couch did give me extra project time.

** Edited for format

Day 11 [May 3 Week 3: April 29-May 5]

I ate 15 weekly points, earned 0 activity. Total: 23/11
No run today.
No strength today.
I got zero hours in: 7.5 for the week.

Another day of rest and healing. I felt a lot better by day's end and went out for some pizza and beer with the missus. 

** Edited for format and content.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines