nanako

Being all new (first post, first challenge ! hi all !) and quite late, I guess I'll better keep it short and simple ...

(1) carbs < 50g/day (7 out of 7 a week)

I've been "eating right" for so long ... logging everything I eat for months ... 75-80% paleo for weeks and weeks now ... and moaning and complaining about why I can't seem to lose any weight ... when I actually know what to do. So I'm going to radically cut the carbs for those four weeks. Hah ! 

(2) be nice (7 out of 7 a week)

I have a lot on my plate (bad pun) as I work full time & have two lovely kids (6 and 4). The last few months have been difficult (we moved abroad ! to another country ! with the whole family !) and it has been quite stressful. But, that is no excuse for the shouting and labelling that has been going on here lately. I don't want to be that person. I want to be a kind mum.

So, be nice to the kids, and my husband. This is really goal 1. This is my main goal. 

(3) limit screen time to 30 mins every night (6 out of 7 a week)

I can do a lot of forum reading done in my lunch break (oh, wait :-)) and .. ah, I'm not going to miss anything, am I ? I used to have so much time and now I spend it all "relaxing" with my laptop when it's not relaxing at all. It's worse than watching TV, actually. For me it is ... so that's goal three.  

Oh yes, I'm 39 (I'm ancient !!!) now, research scientist in the UK, married and 2 kids (I said that). I live in a small city in the Southwest.

I love running but I'm mindlessly slow and I have asthma. I run with a club twice a week (that's speed training on Tue and hills onThu) and do long runs (erm, long for me is 12-15k) on the weekend and I usually manage to throw in a few bodyweight workouts a week. 

I'm rather happy with my fitness routine (which is why I don't have fitness goals right now) and am consistent when I'm not ill (that's the one big IF).  

I've gained 10kg (that is over 20 pounds) over the last two years when my dad died and I stopped smoking for good and I haven't been able to loose them. Yet. I feel ready now. I used to be around 135lb but now I'm 157lb ... I'm 5ft 7 ... I kind of want back to where I was (only fitter) at one point. 

So, I have a new Garmin .. and a diary ... and I ordered a book on "anger management" from Amazon (I did - I felt like a bad person ordering the bloody book !). 

It would be great if you could help me with this ... I really need somebody for accountability (can you say that ?) 

Thanks for reading.  :redface-new:

Love,

Nanako

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 DEX 7 STA 8 CON 1 WIS 9 CHA 3

challenges 1 2 3 daily battle log

6 months goals

Oh yes, I'm 39 (I'm ancient !!!) now

No, that's very young. In fact, you are due to hit your peak of wisdom and maturity in about 5 years.

Hello and welcome to Scouts. That's three brits. Not long now till we'll have enough to challenge the Druids to a game of cricket!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

First day has been really good. I totally rocked goal number 1 and 2 and failed on goal 3 ... ah well, it's only the first day (momentum, anyone ?). 

Goal two: Anger management 

Anger management book hasn't arrived yet so I have to think on my feet when I feel a situation get out of hand. Basically I try to work out: "How can I spin this situation so that I won't get angry?" (This works because the situations involve children. I am not a manipulative mastermind.) I realize I have been setting more boundaries and not taking things personally (husband has been telling me for years - how was I to know he was right though ?).

Plan-wise I have been splitting up days into morning, afternoon and evening so I get 1/3 of a point when I get through one of these without losing my temper.

So I get 4/3 out of 4/3 now (quite chuffed !) and there were 2 or 3 situations where I normally would have clicked. My son's behaviour can be very, very challenging, he is a sweet boy but with some strong hyperactive traits. Seeing that the poor boy has two pig-headed, borderline Asperger spectrum parents you can't really blame him. Daughter miraculously turned out only unchallengingly sweet though.

See how that goes once I'm back working (at home right now with flu) and mooooooore stressed.

Goal one: Carbs

This has been a cakewalk seeing that my husband's joined me on this challenge. He's getting all obsessed and I just have to keep up with him. Logging everything on foodfocus.co.uk and yesterday was cals 1610, fats 95, carbs 49, prot 80.

Goal three: Screen time

Erm, total fail. I totalled about 3 hours instead of 30 mins. Oh well.

Extra Fitness goals

Still battling a really bad flu so no running. Did manage to get a Bodyweight workout in though:

• Squats with 15kg weights: 20
  • Pushups: 10 half-way (with feet not knees on the ground - that's a step up)
  • Lunges with 15 kg weights: 10 (5 each) - I so hate lunges ! HATE !
  • Rows: 20 with 7.5 kg
  • Plank: 40 secs

Hope to by alright for my 10K on Sunday. Was actually planning on finally tackling the 60 mins barrier (I said I was slow) but with one run in three weeks it's not looking like it. Have been ill on and off since my last 10k in Feb, basically. Shucks. I guess I'll just trod along with the pensioners at the back. Nobody remembers how slow you were once you've got the t-shirt, right ?

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

You'd think they'd send anger management books out on time, if only for the sake of their customer service staff... :^)

Sounds like a.decent start on spite of flu. Keep it up!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Welcome nanako!  Also my first challenge with the scouts.  They are a great group for accountability & encouragement!  Interested to see your progress with less than 50g of carbs per day.  I have protein & carb goals for this challenge and have really seen a difference in how I feel & inches are coming off!  As for the anger management book....don't feel like a bad person.  Its awesome that you are looking to improve how you handle situations.  Looks like you have had a ton of stress with your dad's passing, moving, etc.  Anyhow...good for you!  I have two kids (5 & 3) and have had a change in home environment (not a move, but hubs is away for military training) over the last several months....I might need you to send me the name of the book!

Again, welcome!  Hope you get to feeling better :redface-new:

Scout

Battle Log - Accountability-Tracking-Training Worksheets

1st Challenge - 2nd Challenge - 3rd Challenge

"He must become greater; I must become less.†John 3:30

Hi Nanako!  I'm so glad you posted on my thread.  I have been a little lax lately in checking the forum for latecomers.  Like Sifter, I'm interested to see how you do with the uber-low carb thing.  I've been reducing mine, but not quite that much!

Seems to me that anger and being a Mom come hand in hand.  (Mine are 7 and 2).  What's good is that you at least recognize it and are taking action.  I don't want to be the Mom that my kids tiptoe around like a landmine.  Hmmm...maybe a goal for next challenge.

Good luck with your 10K!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Thanks for the kind words PB and Sifter ! :-) Much appreciated from my fellow mums !

I'll keep you posted on the carb front - I've kept them under 150, then at 100 for a while but that didn't do anything on the scale for me. Did lose a couple of dress sizes but no weight. Which means I can now fit into my jeans which I used to wear when I was 20 lbs lighter !?

Still, I put on muscle very easily (guess I should be in Warriors) so with strength training I really need to create a calorie deficit or else I'll end up looking like the Incredible Hulk. And I love eating so much ... I could never go hungry ... no willpower here ... so cutting carbs is the easiest way.

Makes your food choices funny though. Spinach: yes, onions: no ... ?! 

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

Welcome to the crew, Nanako! Moving is stressful on anyone- and I admire your willingness to admit your anger issue. That's huge and most people are too prideful to get to the point where they can say that!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Thanks Hammlin ! It's quite embarrassing really. But it's only been two days and it feels all different now. I'm glad I started this thread.

It helps me so much - mostly because I just cannot see myself going online and telling you guys, "I shouted at my kids again because ..." So I really, really have to make an effort. 

Goal 1 Quick update on today, good job on the carbs: 1679 cals and 52g carbs which is technically > 50 (even I know that ! :playful: ) but I'm letting myself off. BTW it's still quite easy but I have MASSIVE red meat cravings. No carb craving at all but I could eat a horse. RAW. 

Did some extra triceps work but not much, focus on rest, will go back to work tomo.

Goal 2 Re Anger, you can call me Kofi Annan from today. I handled an afternoon-to evening ongoing crisis that drove my husband to tears (figuratively) with utter calm and diplomacy, I did. Hope that kind of extreme behaviour is just a passing phase in my son. Maybe some kind of backlash. I don't care. I know that, once I go through with that, everything will be so much better. 

I feel happy. I feel so much happier, wonder where that comes from. Probably the flu ?

Or has anybody experienced any positive mood changes when cutting carbs ?  :playful:

Goal 3 Massive fail, again. :-)

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

Sounds like a good day (aside from the screen time!) and I can't see the flu having improved your mood, so it most probably is diet-related or -if you're anything like me - just the light, confident feeling you get from taking control of your life (goal setting, improved fitness, getting stuff done...) generally. I find that helps my ability to keep my chin up no end!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

So, there, too much boasting already - I feel really miserable tonight. 

Managed to get through the day, back to work and still not 100% well, whole body hurts, and I'm really, really hungry.

Goal 1 cals 1672, carbs 52 

I'm being stupid and am using up all my carbs for the milk in my latte ... 39 g of carbs from milk today ! But I can't imagine doing without right now. 

Bugger. No workout, just cycling to work. I did negotiate the hill though (which is epic with around 11% slope (http://thinkingaboutcycling.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/when-ordinary-cycling-meets-a-hill/ )). New 1£ jeans arrived through ebay, lost two dress sizes now. Chuffed. Wish it would show on the scale at some point. Thought I saw one of my ribs in the mirror today but that was probably just a trick of light. 

Goal 2 Morning was difficult, had two major rages coming on with my blood pressure rising and me cursing between my gritted teeth. We were late and had two important appointments coming up ... Managed to stay quiet though. Sometimes it's just how it goes. I was up, showered, dressed and ready by 7.30 with lunch boxes and book bag packed; but didn't manage to wake up the kids until 8.10 and they were still grumpy and tired.

Afternoon: picked my boy up a bit anxious seeing his mood had been so abysmal yesterday but he was super sweet and picked some flowers for me. <3 

Minor slip: Said something like "why can't you just ..." which is really labelling and not ideal. Noticed the slip right away though and it wasn't anything mean.

Goal 3 Will do better today as I am going to bed NOW. Read my anger management book which arrived today. 

G'night my dah-lings ! *waves* 

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

Or has anybody experienced any positive mood changes when cutting carbs ?  :playful:

Yeah I'm totally more calm and less anxious with less sugar and startchy things in my diet.  I forget about this though and wonder why I am getting grouchy!

Just checking out your challenge - best of luck with your goals, your inspiring me to cut out the crap that has snuck back into my diet!

Traveling Scoutly inclined Druid

:pirate:   :kiwi-fruit:  :tyrannosaurus:  :kiwi-fruit:  :pirate:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.â€â€• Oscar Wilde

Nanako-chan has excuse for abysmal mood yesterday, and it's called Parovirus B-19. And as the Kraut saying goes, he "looks like a crumb cake" with two bright red cheeks and spots all over his upper body, arms and legs. Shucks ! 

Oh no!  Hope he feels better soon.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

@Rookie: Same for me, it seems ... I worry less ... never thought that would make such a difference ?!

@PB: Thanks, yes, he's better. Still has the rash though so he looks like a cute little raspberry ! 

So, today .... erm ... 

Goal 1 I'm seeing massive progress. Really really good. Lost another half inch at the waist and about 7 lbs (6 of these were water but still feels good) since the challenge started. BUT, I mis-planned my work meals today and ended up super hungry around 4, so I hopped over to Sainsburys and stuffed my face with edamame-and-tuna salad and hummus and carrots. Which is kind of healthy but neither paleo nor low-carb. So I'll end up at around 57, 58g  today. Good thing I put back the chocolatey chocolate cake though. :-)

No sports today, concentrating on getting well for the 10K on Sunday. I need to be in super health in order to finish, time is not important for this one, didn't get a single mile in for it.

Goal 2 All good (which is good !!!)

Goal 3 I can see myself stepping away from this goal over the course of this challenge. *makes diplomatic face* I mean, what did I expect ? Join a new forum and limit screen time doesn't go together too well. I'm not beating myself up, maybe over the next few days I'll see some improvement. 

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

Hey! sorry I had missed your thread for so long!, you seem to be doing awesome, I stopped stepping up the scale a while ago, and it's been great for my weight loss progress, whenever I do (about every three weeks or so), I have lost weight, it works for me, I have adopted the idea that my weight is a result of my lifestyle, and changing one thing will inevitably lead to changes in the other (sooner or later), and so I have done.

Really like your goals, and wish you the best on your 10K, the finish line has an awesome feeling!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Thanks a lot guys, thanks for the support ! :-) It's really helpful.

Goal 1

Right now (I know it's been only one working week now) I get the feeling it's getting easier by the day.

As long as I don't eat any carbs, I don't get any cravings ... that makes it really easy to stay on the wagon. 

Yesterday I came across my food nemesis (freshly baked 'artisan' white bread - yummie !!! Bread is my favorite food ... I could eat it all day and never stop) but I was very good and only ate the crusts from the kids' sandwiches and stuffed the rest in the freezer.Thought about that bread sitting in the freezer a LONG time after that though. ;-)

I get an extra .3 point today because I didn't eat the cake we had at the seminar (carrot AND chocolate). I lost .3 of a point yesterday when I had two fish fingers and a handful of oven chips after dinner. 

My husband's still with me on the paleo wagon, he's way more accurate than I am, I guess that makes it easy too ... right know he's in the garden preparing a middle-eastern paleo feast with kofta and baba ganoush and yogurt garlic dip ! :-) What's not to like ..:-)

BTW my colleague said his gf has the same mood improvement when she cuts carbs - seems it's not too uncommon then ? I wish I'd known that before. I have less asthma and MUCH better mood, not hungry, no cravings ...  

Tried out the GPS watch I got for my birthday today - just a 2 min jog around the park. Seems to be working and I'm still undecided which pace to aim for on Sunday. Chris from my running club set my goal time at 58 mins which is just hilarious, that's a 9.28 min mile which is completely ridiculous and there is no way I can make that pace. especially since I haven't run since March. I'm just wondering whether I should do the stupid thing (start at 9.25 mins/mile and then drop dead by km 8) or the clever thing (start at 10.15 mins/mile and speed up a tiny little bit at km 8 if I still can). Not that I ever do the clever thing, usually. Hm. Still have two days to think about that one.

Goal 2

This one's really so much easier too seeing I'm happier and less stressed. And if I ever forget the cause of it PLEASE make me read this, I don't want to go back ... 

Goal 3

<silently ignoring this>

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

I know what you mean about the cravings.  It's easier not to eat carbs when you don't eat them, which is rather circular logic, but still true.  One thing that going almost-Paleo has taught me is what my trigger foods are.  Certain things I can eat with restraint, others trigger either an immediate binge or a downward spiral of several days (or both :nightmare: ).  Before, I couldn't have told you why I just ate two days' worth of calories in one sitting.  Now I know.  And knowing is half the battle.  (Thank you, GI Joe)

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Now I know.  And knowing is half the battle.  (Thank you, GI Joe)

+1 Phoenix...

I like to think that we are all "Transformers"...you know, "more than meets the eye"

I am with you girls on the cravings and trigger foods.  I found out last week that I absolutely cannot have any cookies.  I had "some" cookies on one of my flex days last week.  I was like a fat kid in a candy store.  Flippin stuffed my face.  Other things I can have just a taste and be good to go.  

I am losing inches in this challenge, but not pounds.  Already thinking about how to up my diet game for next challenge.  Thinking of taking a combo of what you all are doing and a bit of what I am doing now.  Maybe 3 completely grain free days, 2 days of no more than 50g, and 2 days of no more than 120g (basically putting a max on my flex days so I don't go crazy!).  My goal for this challenge of 5 days of no more than 100g has been a good stepping stone, but if I want results I am going to have to be stricter.

Scout

Battle Log - Accountability-Tracking-Training Worksheets

1st Challenge - 2nd Challenge - 3rd Challenge

"He must become greater; I must become less.†John 3:30

@german: Yeah, I was thinking of throwing away the scale but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's kinda hard to let go. ;-) 

@sifter: For me the worst part was getting down to 100g/day, the weeks before this challenge. I had really bad "carb flu" ... with monster headaches ! But since, it's been really easy.

@PB: Totally. *nods*

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

Update: In case you guys were wondering, it's really, really hard to overeat on VLC paleo -- but we did our best yesterday ! 

Sitting in the garden chatting with my husband, kids inside watching a movie, and evey now and then one of us would go: "Oh, I can't possibly eat another one of these koftas" and then do it anyway ... :-) Just your regular 1000 cal/ 17g carb Friday night feast. Totally worth it !

You have to be careful with your baba ganoush though, those eggplants are really high in carbs, and it seems tahini isn't even paleo. But hell. :-)

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines