LynnyLee's "Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger - I hope" challenge

Name: LynnyLee

Fitness goals:

1. I picked 3 exercises as my benchmarks (reasons explained below), I will run through 3 set of ten for each of them 3 times I week. My goal is to add weight to each my the end of the challenge:

a. bench press: due to a combo of shoulder injuries and overall lack of upper body strength I can only bench 45lbs end goal: 60lbs (I'm being cautious with this one since re-injuring my shoulder would put me back at square one.)

b. Squat current: 55lbs. in high school I posted much more impressive number, want to return to, or at least get closer to, the glory days. end goal: 85lbs (Still not a lifetime personal best, but it would be an improvement.)

c. deadlift: 50lbs current - never really put much time or effort into the deadlift, and it's time I did. end goal: Not sure where to go on this since I have so little experience, but I'll say 75lbs.

I'm going for full, clean sets on this, not "hey I can do it once - see, look," *drops wright* If we're talking less reps or wonky form I could already do more weight, but what good is that? Oh, and I'm hoping to still keep up on my other physical activities as well. (Dancing, flexibility workouts, the occasional aerobics class.)

2. hydrate: stop using my water bottles as decorations on my desk. I was doing good on this for quite sometime, then it just stopped.

3. fruit and veg: this has been my goal in the past, and it's usually an epic fail since I shoot for 5 serving. I know it's less than recommended, but I'm going to start shooting for 3 per day and work my way up.

Life goal: Husband is taking on tons of outdoor projects, so I should probably be picking up slack inside. I'm going to once again go for the 90 minutes of cleaning per week, also I'm going to add my dining room dream transformation to the list tentatively. I still have to talk budget with the husband. This one might change.

Hydration: got in 48 ounces of water

Fruit & veg: 1 serving (a banana)

Lifting: didn't get it in since gym buddy wanted to do the step & lift class. Definitely qualifies as high intensity interval training. though, so still a good thing.

Chores: spent 20 minutes dealing with a load of whites; it might be time to throw away all the white socks & replace them. (I do this once a year or so. My husband & I wear the same sock size, so I throw away all of our white socks and buy a bulk package. That way all the socks are identical. Makes matching much faster.)

I did talk to him about the dining room project. He said he wanted my help on the outside of the house first since we have some storm damage that needs immediate TLC. So, goal for this weekend will be project fix our janky, storm rattled mailbox and screen door.

Fruit & Veg: 3 servings - Yay!

Hydration: only 24 ounces - Boo!

Got to the gym late because of a meeting, but got my 3 benchmarks in:

Benchpress: did 50 pounds for 3 sets of 10, but I used the Smith machine since there was no one else in the weight room & I really didn't want to risk hurting myself

Squat: 65 pounds for 3x10. Much more challenging than I though it would be; mostly because we did a ton of lunges in Monday's aerobics class.

Deadlift: did 55lbs for 3x10. Realized half way through the first set could have done more weight, but by that time I was frustrated because earlier I dropped my phone on the gym floor, it broke open, battery came out & when it started up the buttons wouldn't work. Honestly I kind of short changed myself so I could go home and fix my phone.

Chores: none, just reset my phone that night :(

I'm going for full, clean sets on this, not "hey I can do it once - see, look," *drops wright* If we're talking less reps or wonky form I could already do more weight, but what good is that? Oh, and I'm hoping to still keep up on my other physical activities as well. (Dancing, flexibility workouts, the occasional aerobics class.)

what do you consider "full clean sets"?

a set of one can be a full set. depends on what you're going for.

also: if you're at 55 and 50 now for squat and dl, i bet after 6 weeks you can get to 95. especially if youre just starting again. :)

Yay, fruit and strength! Good job, Lynny. I predict you're going to blow past your strength goals.

Does the phone still work?

You must tell me what you think of yoga tonight! So excited you're going!

Phone is working again after a reset and reinstall. I have a rooted phone with a cyanogen mod, so I have a little more freedom in home fixes, but no warranty.

I'm looking forward to yoga tonight. My gym buddy is already sending me texts building the excuse to not go, but I've told her I'm going either way.

what do you consider "full clean sets"?

a set of one can be a full set. depends on what you're going for.

also: if you're at 55 and 50 now for squat and dl, i bet after 6 weeks you can get to 95. especially if youre just starting again. :)

Yikes! Good catch Spezzy, I didn't not specify. So let me clear it up here:

Good clean set - 10 repetitions with form as demonstrated by the animated guy in the Jefit app on my phone. (I've checked him against other videos and animated dudes from reputable sources & his form looks good, standard, and safe.) My main concern is both form and building some endurance in my strength. I know there's a place for sets of one, but I'd like to go with more for now, if for no other reason than to practice good form. Maybe when I start hitting my upper physical limits I'll try for more weight with less reps.

In retrospect I might have set my dl and squat goals a little low, but I'm really good at hitting plateaus in things, so we'll see. If I end up doing more, that would make me elated.

Well, after all the excitement, I ended up missing the yoga class because I had to stay at work late due to the phone lines and internet going down. All that after my phone mishaps, having forgotten my wallet that morning, ripping a hole in my pants at work, and burning the crap out of my arm making lunch. So, I had to miss my first yoga class at the end of a bad day for reasons that are extra stressful. Epic fail!

Then, just as I was ready to go into super sulk mode, a friend called me after having gotten really ultra, mega bad news. I immediately felt like an ass for having the pity party. Problems in perspective and moving on...

Hydration: got 48 ounces down my gullet - still not enough, but I'm plugging away.

fruit and veg: 2 servings, ate tomatoes with lunch, then husband and I got sushi for dinner and I actually thought to get rolls with avocado & ordered a salad with fruit instead of miso soup.

exercise: none, rawr!

chores: none, had to relax after work

Oh, and slight monkey wrench in my plan. Just got an e-mail from my dance troupe director. We just got a lot of offers. There will be much rehearsal coming up. Guess I get to stress test my goals.

You can have a busy life and still do this, LynnyLee. Afterall, are you not a Rebel? Are you not, if I may use the term, Awesome? And, most of all, are you not a centered, graceful, meditative Druid?? When stuff gets in your way, toss your cashmere scarf over your shoulders, raise a daintily gloved hand in the air and shout, "For the Rebellion!" :-)

Good point Seabright. I will succeed. I will it to be so. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

So round up from yesterday:

Hydration: 48 ounces of H2O. Amazed I got that much water in considering I also drowned some stress in soda. (I know, bad.)

fruit & veg: 1 serving at lunch - my bad again

exercise: dance practice, I'm learning the other part in one of our choreographies. I'm stuck on one step. Seen

at the one minute mark. I can do it half-assed while smiling, or perfectly with a look of intense concentration. Needs to be perfect while smiling. So, that goes on the to-do list.

Chores: Before practice I made a deal with my neighbor that I set up her new computer while she mowed my lawn. Counting that as 25 minutes of chores. Cheating: no! I worked and a chore got done; that is all that matters. :P

Good job on the water!! I am still working on that one lol

Hang in there!!! You will get it ...you can try doing your chores and fitting the move in at every opportunity...or you can always dance thru your chores..that is fun :)

Your doing awesome keep it up!

Seen

at the one minute mark. I can do it half-assed while smiling, or perfectly with a look of intense concentration. Needs to be perfect while smiling.

Wow - how cool is that! If I tried to move my hips like that, I'd throw out my back and end up in the hospital! Seriously, very nice.

Phone is working again after a reset and reinstall. I have a rooted phone with a cyanogen mod, so I have a little more freedom in home fixes, but no warranty.

I'm looking forward to yoga tonight. My gym buddy is already sending me texts building the excuse to not go, but I've told her I'm going either way.

Yikes! Good catch Spezzy, I didn't not specify. So let me clear it up here:

Good clean set - 10 repetitions with form as demonstrated by the animated guy in the Jefit app on my phone. (I've checked him against other videos and animated dudes from reputable sources & his form looks good, standard, and safe.) My main concern is both form and building some endurance in my strength. I know there's a place for sets of one, but I'd like to go with more for now, if for no other reason than to practice good form. Maybe when I start hitting my upper physical limits I'll try for more weight with less reps.

In retrospect I might have set my dl and squat goals a little low, but I'm really good at hitting plateaus in things, so we'll see. If I end up doing more, that would make me elated.

:)

getting form down > up on weight, i totally agree. i think you'll be surprised at how awesome you're going to do, though!

excited to see deadlifts, either way :)

Chores: Before practice I made a deal with my neighbor that I set up her new computer while she mowed my lawn. Counting that as 25 minutes of chores. Cheating: no! I worked and a chore got done; that is all that matters. :P

That is 100% not cheating. That is just efficiency.

:)

getting form down > up on weight, i totally agree. i think you'll be surprised at how awesome you're going to do, though!

excited to see deadlifts, either way :)

I'm excited about them not just for their own sake, but also hoping the stronger back muscles will help with back bends and laybacks.

That is 100% not cheating. That is just efficiency.

Good point. I was going to get her computer done a lot faster than she could; and given my allergy troubles mowing my lawn was not as big a deal for her as it would be for me.

Day 5

Didn't make it to the gym as planned due to an emergency bellydance rehearsal (there's a phrase you don't hear everyday).

Hydration: 60 ounces, all the extra practice made me thirsty, but considering how much activity it was I should have drank more.

Fruit & veg: 1 serving

chores: cleared the bathroom counter (10 minutes)

Day 6

This time had our regularly scheduled rehearsal.

Fruit and veg: 3 servings! had a big spinach salad with dinner. Extra peppers on it. Then remembered why I love apples in my grilled cheese.

Hydration: 48 ounces

Lifting

benchpress - I seem to be stuck at 50lbs. anytime I try to go heavier I get the feeling it ain't happening. I guess I have to remind myself that slow but steady wins the race

squat: did two sets with 60lbs, then managed 70 for my last set. It felt good.

deadlift: 3 sets with 60lbs

chores: cleared out the pantry to 15 minutes while husband cleared the refrigerator

Day 7

Hydration: lost track; I had kitchen duty at church, so I know I drank a lot of juice and tea while I was back there, but also drank a lot of coffee, which is dehydrating.

fruit & veg: 3 servings; easy since husband made tacos for dinner & I just loaded them up with veggies

gym didn't happen since after the pantry & fridge cleaning yesterday we realized we desperately needed to do a major stock up on groceries.

chores: 15 minutes with the kitty litter boxes; both one of my cats and myself have allergies, so I'm going to try a new type of litter that promises to be low dust and see if it helps one or both of us. Also sat down with the husband and filled out the chore chart; here's hoping we both stick to the plan.

weekly recap

lifting: only 2 out of 3 times

hydration: a little low everyday, but better than before

fruit and veg: still hit and miss. I need to look at the hit days and note what was different

chores: 75 minutes; also shy of goal

Somehow the week felt better than it looks on paper. Maybe its the extra dancing.

Lynny, that video was great! Your isolations are amazing. I seriously salute you! Seabright, you're rapidly becoming my hero. Celebrating domestic pride indeed....

Thanks. Isolations are the name of the game in belly dance. It's great for working muscles that normally get very neglected.

Seabright, I concur with Althea. So much better than chores. I'm renaming the chore chart the Individual Acts Celebrating Domestic Pride Chart when I get home tonight.

Day 8

hydration: 48 ounces

fruit & veg: 1 serving

Deadlift: 60lbs for 3 sets

Squat: 70lbs for 3 sets.

Should be adding more weight on to those soon

bench press: Still at 50lbs for three sets and still feeling like my right shoulder is going to burst. I'm thinking about just stacking more weight on the left side of the bar so that at least I'm not holding my left side back because the right us weak.

Chores...I mean Individual Acts Celebrating Domestic Pride: none

Day 9

hydration: 48 ounces

fruit and veg: 0

Chores: 10 minutes scooping kitty litter

Didn't make it to the gym after church because of the whole thunderstorm/tornado sirens going off thing. This weather is just killing me.

awesome vid! Love to see all the sparkly dancers *smile* and I love the new name for the chore chart...I wonder if I rename chores: Individual Acts Celebrating Domestic Pride: if they children will be less gripey about them LOL

awesome vid! Love to see all the sparkly dancers *smile* and I love the new name for the chore chart...I wonder if I rename chores: Individual Acts Celebrating Domestic Pride: if they children will be less gripey about them LOL

I love to watch tribal dancers. You should post any videos you have. :)