• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Freddie

How to transition to a healthy diet

Here's a recipe on some good Norwayan bread. It's not german, but I think it'll do the trick. 

These reciepe yeilds about three breads which equals to approx 30 slices.. 

1,3 kg wheat flour - wholemeal
200 g rye - wholemeal
200 g whole grain wheat 
75 g fresh yeast
2 ts salt
9 dl wheat bran? (not sure if this is correct.. the name is "krusakli" in norwegian)
1.8 l water, at body temperature

Mix dry ingridents. 
solve the yeast in some of the fluid and work everything good and well toegether. 

This becomes a quite "loose" dough. 

let the dough rise for a bit less than an hour. Knock the air out of the dough, and let it sit and rise for another half an hour. 
Knock the air out, once again, and pour/put it into prepeared pans. (lined with parchment paper or coated with butter/oil) 

Place in the middle of the oven, 220 degrees celcius on over/under heat. If you got a hot air oven - 200 degrees. Bake for one hour. 

The bread is a little moist in the center, and stick a bit to the knife when you cut it. 

Carbs 61,34 % Protein 16,58 % Fat 12,84 % Dietary fiber 9,22 %

Full nutritional info (on norwegian, but google can help you): http://www.matoppskrift.no/sider/link_naering.asp?Id=15589

Sorry for the pigeon-english baking terms.. ;) 

...or you could just eat IIFYM

- Figure out what calorie intake you maintain at, and eat to calorie targets that meet your current composition goals (losing fat OR gaining muscle)

- Eat 1g/lb bodyweight (if slim/athletic) or 1g/lb LBW (if overweight/obese) protein per day

- Eat >20g fiber per day

- Occasionally check to see that you're hitting 100%+ RDA on all major vitamins minerals

...then celebrate your healthy diet and not worry about "clean" foods or "healthy" foods or other related nonsense.

Over time you will learn moderation and develop a very healthy relationship with food, after all it is nothing more fuel, and will easily be able to reach any body composition goal that you have.

...or you could just eat IIFYM

- Figure out what calorie intake you maintain at, and eat to calorie targets that meet your current composition goals (losing fat OR gaining muscle)

- Eat 1g/lb bodyweight (if slim/athletic) or 1g/lb LBW (if overweight/obese) protein per day

- Eat >20g fiber per day

- Occasionally check to see that you're hitting 100%+ RDA on all major vitamins minerals

...then celebrate your healthy diet and not worry about "clean" foods or "healthy" foods or other related nonsense.

Over time you will learn moderation and develop a very healthy relationship with food, after all it is nothing more fuel, and will easily be able to reach any body composition goal that you have.

You're right, fuel quality has nothing to do with health.

/getting old

You're right, fuel quality has nothing to do with health.

/getting old

Science has proven that it does...

Right...?

#loadedquestion

Either way, no need to revist the IIFYM vs. Clean argument yet again.  If you are interested in that, the debate rages everywhere, go find someone else to fight.

You're right, there's absolutely no evidence to support the notion that eating "healthy" increases a vast constellation of both surrogate markers of health and longevity, and quality of life. 

And you're the one who keeps insisting this fight be fought here. If you don't want to fight it quit chiming in on every "eat healthier" thread and beating your worn out drum. IIFYM can work.. for a goal. No one's disputing that. But it isn't the end all be all and you can allow threads to go by without bestowing us with your all knowing contrarian, and incomplete, viewpoint. There are worse things in the world than some people trying to eat more salad.

Ok guys, right off the bat, I don't eat a Paleo diet, which is what is mostly encouraged I think.  Here's the problem:

My typical breakfast.

Toast with some kind of preserve

Eggs (cooked with butter)

Fruit

Milk

Typical Lunch

Sandwich (prepared by me or a restaurant)

Typical dinner

Whatever was leftover.  Could be brown rice, beans, meat, vegetables, etc.  I drink juice with my meal.

I can cut back on the juice no problem.  But most of the stuff I eat is not healthy it seems or at least Paleo.  I know my diet is 80% or 90% of the battle for getting stronger and losing weight.  Another thing is that where I come from (Puerto Rico) bread, rice, and beans are the staple foods.  I love bread.  I also like making bread when I can... soo...

Any recommendations on how to transition to a healthier diet?

Okay so there has been a TON of great stuff on this thread already but I'll throw in my two cents. Firstly what kind of bread are we talking. you said that you're from Puerto Rico but do you still live there? Is this fresh milled sprouted grain stuff or are we talking processed flour bread. If the later you'll need to find a way to substitute it or just ditch it altogether. Too much rice can also inhibit weight loss since it can send your insulin on a roller coaster and if your insulin is off you won't lose; you'll only store.

As for a plan of attack you might try just doing a 'whole 30,' kick out sugars, processed grains, legumes, alcohol and go strict paleo for a month. This won't make you drop a ton but it can break the habits that you've built up. That plan doesn't work for me since when I get to the end of the 30 I typically pig out. Smaller changes over a period of time are what work best for me. It might be that you'll need to switch from 2 pieces of toast to half a piece until you can drop it altogether. Maybe instead of toast with jam, have a handful of nuts with your fruit. For lunch, bread is another problem. Maybe have only one side of bread or switch to a non-four tortilla instead (I like Ezekiel products but I have no idea if they're available in PR).

For dinner, certainly skip the juice. Juice just takes the most unhealthy part of the fruit and throws away all the real nutrients. Not to mention that since it is so invasive drinking juice is very helpful for cavities and tooth decay, even more so since most 'juice,' is from concentrate and commonly has extra sugar added. Even if it doesn't you'd better bet they'll be GMO fruits that are modified to enhance their sugars.

So bottom line:

1. see if you can substitute your bread for a healthier alternative, (dude, make your own bread using almond or coconut flour).

2. Don't just lower your juice, drop it. If you need a sweet drink try some unflavored soda water with some liquid stevia in it.

3. Come up with a definite plan of attack and set specific goals. For example: Start today: half my bread intake at breakfast by next Monday, half again by the Monday after that. No bread at breakfast by June 5th. OR if you're not a step down kinda guy: set a date, June 5th, no more bread at breakfast. Then on the 4th throw away your loaf whether there is more left or not. 

Let us know how it goes!

You're right, there's absolutely no evidence to support the notion that eating "healthy" increases a vast constellation of both surrogate markers of health and longevity, and quality of life. 

And you're the one who keeps insisting this fight be fought here. If you don't want to fight it quit chiming in on every "eat healthier" thread and beating your worn out drum. IIFYM can work.. for a goal. No one's disputing that. But it isn't the end all be all and you can allow threads to go by without bestowing us with your all knowing contrarian, and incomplete, viewpoint. There are worse things in the world than some people trying to eat more salad.

There isn't.  Every piece of science that has controlled for calories and protein intake has been unable to find any measureable difference between various diets.  Clean or not.  This is not even subject to debate.  We're still waiting for a single piece of proof on clean eating.  Every study that shows a difference fails to control for calories and/or protein, and its well established that those things matter.

Worn out.  Puhleeze.  Don't knock what you don't understand.  The strawmen may help you "win", but they are FAR from reality.  Get your protein, fiber, and micros without supps and all that's left is a small fraction of your daily cals for whatever.  Probably less "whatever" than the 80/20 paleo folks do, and a lot less whatever than the 80/20* (50/50 with binges taken into account) paleo folks do.

I am far from the only one here (would argue in fact that IIFYMers actually outnumer paleos here, whether they use the IIFYM name or not).  Thing is, we don't need a "life support thread", or a whole forum dedicated to issues with the diet itself and fitting it into the real world.  There isn't an eating disorder that describes a large % of the dieters, especially long term, fairly accurately.  "Falling off the wagon" and other binges are far lower in frequency and just don't happen much.  There is unfortunately nothing to talk about unless we want to have a pat on the back party.

You know, the irony is I don't really even disagree with most of what you say, simply when and where and how you choose to present it. I'm also anti-asshole. I don't understand? I was going to work towards common ground but fuck it. Waldo knows best, Science. You can stop now. 

Get over yourself.

You know, the irony is I don't really even disagree with most of what you say, simply when and where and how you choose to present it. I'm also anti-asshole. I don't understand? I was going to work towards common ground but fuck it. Waldo knows best, Science. You can stop now. 

Get over yourself.

Pot meet kettle....

There really is no need for this animosity.  I can see that there are various styles of dieting and passion over those styles, or their facts.  That's fine.  We can choose what works for us, since there is no one true formula that works for everyone.  If it wasn't for this kind of diversity or any kind, the world would be pretty darn boring wouldn't it?  Let's celebrate and learn from our differences, yes?  Anyways...

What's IIFYM!?

I think the question isn't from what you get your nutrients but rather what kind of baggage can come with it. (and obviously what your body can handle as an intolerance/allergies can be a pain in the ass if it's/they're being ignored) Then again, I find quarrels over other people's eating habits to be redundant - whatever works for ya works for ya and is nobody else's business if it doesn't directly affect them.

LOL- I'm sorry it just came up as a link instead of the words- but oh well.

I'm super bored at work. Don't judge me for my shennanigas LOL

I find quarrels over other people's eating habits to be redundant - whatever works for ya works for ya and is nobody else's business if it doesn't directly affect them.

I agree in general, but if someone is looking for advice I do think there's value in talking through the different approaches.  Even when the question is "How do I make myself eat more salad?", I think it's fair to respond with "Why do you want to?" since plenty of people assume that there is one true way and stress themselves out needlessly trying to conform to it.

I agree in general, but if someone is looking for advice I do think there's value in talking through the different approaches.  Even when the question is "How do I make myself eat more salad?", I think it's fair to respond with "Why do you want to?" since plenty of people assume that there is one true way and stress themselves out needlessly trying to conform to it.

Yes, but that clearly wasn't the case ITT. What you describe would imply some sort of cooperation between two parties to explain different concepts to a third party who asked for it. A quarrel is two parties arguing a point regardless of anything given in the former - and quite frankly the majority of the back and forth mentioned neither seemed to contribute, nor to be constructive.

That there is no one way should be a given as this is basically the case with everything that has 'random' and malleable variables. And I don't think anyone propagating otherwise is or should be taken seriously.

Yes, but that clearly wasn't the case ITT. What you describe would imply some sort of cooperation between two parties to explain different concepts to a third party who asked for it. A quarrel is two parties arguing a point regardless of anything given in the former - and quite frankly the majority of the back and forth mentioned neither seemed to contribute, nor to be constructive.

Yeah, I'm not saying it needs to get snarky, just a general comment about it being nice to see more than one viewpoint.

That there is no one way should be a given as this is basically the case with everything that has 'random' and malleable variables. And I don't think anyone propagating otherwise is or should be taken seriously.

Eh, there's a fair bit of history of that (primarily paleo-focused, but not soley that) on this forum - I think maybe it's tapered off a bit lately (we can hope), but there is a history there - not directly relevant to this particular thread, but I think it must inform a lot of the current interactions.  *shrug*

Yeah, I'm not saying it needs to get snarky, just a general comment about it being nice to see more than one viewpoint.

Eh, there's a fair bit of history of that (primarily paleo-focused, but not soley that) on this forum - I think maybe it's tapered off a bit lately (we can hope), but there is a history there - not directly relevant to this particular thread, but I think it must inform a lot of the current interactions.  *shrug*

Given proper circumstances I would agree, if these perspectives are within the context of a constructive debate and someone is trying to actually prove a point then they should supplant their perspectives with proof, definitions and a given framework of what they're talking about. Constructive being a key word here.

I don't think 'bold claims' or 'personal vendettas' are of any constructive use to anyone.

Possibly but I would hope that the codes of civil conduct would still apply mostly in this domain, even if it's the internet and  (wilful) "miscommunication" is almost always a given from the get-go.

Raikas, on 15 May 2013 - 11:44, said:

I agree in general, but if someone is looking for advice I do think there's value in talking through the different approaches. Even when the question is "How do I make myself eat more salad?", I think it's fair to respond with "Why do you want to?" since plenty of people assume that there is one true way and stress themselves out needlessly trying to conform to it.

Wolfhorde, on 15 May 2013 - 12:02, said:

Yes, but that clearly wasn't the case ITT.

Sure it was. The OP asked how to eat a healthier diet. I responded with the basic components of a healthy diet and with a POV that questions the validity of anything being labeled "healthy" beyond that level. It is a perfectly valid point of view that is much more mainstream (and scientifically backed) than that which many here aggressively push.

But of course, certain members feel the need to attack me for offering this point of view.

Ok...Back to the original post

My typical breakfast.

Toast with some kind of preserve

Eggs (cooked with butter)

Fruit

Milk

Typical Lunch

Sandwich (prepared by me or a restaurant)

Typical dinner

Whatever was leftover.  Could be brown rice, beans, meat, vegetables, etc.  I drink juice with my meal.

Honestly, I don't feel this is enough information to really judge how healthy your diet is. There is no mention of quantity. That lunch time sandwich can be everything from a sensible 3-400 calories, loaded with lean proteins and veggies to a 1200 calorie gut bomb. "Leftovers" for dinner doesn't say anything about what generates these leftovers. Restaurant meals out? Home cooked Sunday dinner? Scrounging in the roomies take away?

Until you can really paint an accurate picture of what you eat, you can't figure out what you need to change. I would try journaling your food for a week, not worrying about calories or the health of a particular item, just write it down and how much of it it was. Then put it away for a few days and come back to it divorced of emotion and look at it from a sheer data point of view. How much came from carbs/protien/fat? How many servings of veggies did you have? You ate take away how many nights? Once you have that info you can make some informed decisions about your diet.

Sure it was. The OP asked how to eat a healthier diet. I responded with the basic components of a healthy diet and with a POV that questions the validity of anything being labeled "healthy" beyond that level. It is a perfectly valid point of view that is much more mainstream (and scientifically backed) than that which many here aggressively push.

But of course, certain members feel the need to attack me for offering this point of view.

Yes, you did. I never said you didn't - you presented a different perspective before somebody else reacted to that and then the debate started I was referring to. I was not talking about your portrayal of a perspective, I was talking about what ensued thereafter in which he apparently had a problem with you specifically or your 'behavior' and you made assertions of what is up to debate and what isn't without any examples/proof/clear frame of reference (unless there was a reference to proof presented in another thread I'm unaware of in which case I retract my statement). Assuming I got none of these wrong I would say - yes - that at least that that specific conversation seemed rather inconstructive.

A proof?

If you are unfamilliar with the clean/paleo vs. IIFYM/Flexible debate, some more time spent on the internet where diet type things is discussed is in order.

It is akin to a Rebublican being unaware of the existence of Democrats. This is a debate that has beaten several thousand horses into their constituent quarks. It rages to some degree everywhere diet type things are discussed, and even beyond that. Every possible facet of the debate has been explored endlessly. The chess pieces of any forway into the debate move in predicatable gambits, and for the most part discussion has long since degenrated into memes and sarcasm.