Just how much exercise is too much exercise?

Hi everyone!

I've been doing the Rebel Fitness Guide (Basic Training) for about 5 weeks now and am on Level One: Rookie. I've recently rejoined the gym near me because I needed to up the weights and a lot of the time, I feel I work harder in the gym because there are more people there. Now, I'm not VERY unfit, and do feel at the end of these workouts I could go further.

I'm VERY keen to start yoga and I'm quite tempted to start spin classes again, which is something I used to do before I gained the weight back that I'd lost a couple of years ago.

Now, I do my rebel routine on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and do half an hour of cardio on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

My question is this: If I were to attend yoga on the same day as one of my rebel workouts, is that doing too much in one day?

Also, if I do a half hour spin class (sometimes a 45 minute spin class) on the same day as one of my rebel workouts, is that too much?

With regards to spin, I'm conscious that Steve will have me running intervals when I get to level 2 of this workout, and know for a fact that too much leg work will mean I'm too sore to do the squats (etc) in my workouts, and I've felt so much stronger since starting that I don't want to do anything that will detract from the progress I've made. I don't want to half-ass a lift day because I did too much sprinting and spinning. Has anyone ever swapped the running intervals for something similar to a spin class?

On a side note, does anybody do yoga at home? Are there any DVDs anybody can recommend that would enable me to simply do yoga at home without having to worry about there only being 2 days in the week I can attend a class? (Work and University commitments make it difficult to attend the ones during the day). I feel that yoga is the key component here, because I suffer from lower back pain, something which I know yoga is good for because it helps you get stronger (and leaner, which is great).

My main question, essentially, is how much is too much? I apologize if this is all over the place and seems like a simple question, but I know that you all have tonnes of experience and would love to hear back from you with advice on how to proceed!

Thank you for reading! :D

PD

X

"It's hard to accept yourself as someone you don't desire; as someone you don't want to be." Laura Marling, 'Rambling Man'

Everyone is different.  I've found my happy medium with two-a-days 6 days a week, averaging 1-1.5 hours a day with a combination of running, elliptical, Zumba, and lifting heavy weights.  I also work a sedentary desk job.  I don't do yoga, but I would think of yoga as a supplement to your lifting and cardio.

just keep on trucking...

+1 to the "everyone is different" bit!

My answer to your general question is no, none of that would be too much.  A yoga + anything day and a cardio + strength day shouldn’t be a problem at all.  Depending on what/how you're lifting and how hard you're sprinting you might get tired faster on a day that combines those, but even that's not a certainty.  My feeling is that if it seems fun, do it! :)

That said, I'm looking at it from a purely baseline functional perspective - if you're doing any of those things with a very specific goal in mind (whether it's a specific weight you want to lift, or a specific body composition or whatever), then you'll have other considerations - but it doesn't sound like that's the case for you (at least not at this point).

As for yoga, I'm a big fan of the Yoga Journal's stuff - they have piles of free stuff on their site, but they do sell DVDs as well if that's what you're after.  I haven't used their videos myself, but I do get their magazine and have found it to be really helpful in terms of not getting stuck doing the same routine all the time.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Try it and see how you feel- it's not like you are locked into it for forever.  I add stuff when I feel like I need extra- or take something out when I feel like it's too much.

That being said I'm not on a program- I just train really hard so when I need a break I take one.

The more specific goals I have- the more picky I get about HOW I train- but otherwise- it's a "do as I feel" but train like a boss kind of mentality. 

Everyone is different.  I've found my happy medium with two-a-days 6 days a week, averaging 1-1.5 hours a day with a combination of running, elliptical, Zumba, and lifting heavy weights.  I also work a sedentary desk job.  I don't do yoga, but I would think of yoga as a supplement to your lifting and cardio.

^This. 

And good to see you around airen. :)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Thank you so much for your advice you guys!

I feel very excited to start back with yoga and spin. I've been feeling so strong since starting with weights and really wanted to get fitter. I will definitely follow the 'trial and error' approach and just see how it works out. I'm really keen to see what I'm capable of, actually!

Thank you again for your great replies, guys!

PD

X

"It's hard to accept yourself as someone you don't desire; as someone you don't want to be." Laura Marling, 'Rambling Man'