First PL Meet?

Hello,

I suppose I should get this out of the way at some point, so I'm looking at taking a long weekend and flying to Philadelphia for the American Open in December--it's just a bit past the six month mark in my lifting, and far enough away that if I publicly shame myself on the platform I won't have to see any of the people at the gym the next day.

Has anyone done this?  Any thoughts?

Regards,

P

Hello,

I suppose I should get this out of the way at some point, so I'm looking at taking a long weekend and flying to Philadelphia for the American Open in December--it's just a bit past the six month mark in my lifting, and far enough away that if I publicly shame myself on the platform I won't have to see any of the people at the gym the next day.

Has anyone done this?  Any thoughts?

Regards,

P

As someone who has not only once but twice utilized the roll of shame, as well as fall over backwards while squatting, believe me when I say, hurt pride heals faster than a scratch on wolverines arm. 

Good luck at the meet! May you hit all your goal lifts! :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

I did my first competition after only 3 months of training!  It's always nice to set a benchmark.  Plus there will likely be lots of experienced people there to learn from.  Aaaaand training for a specific goal like a competition is awesome motivation.

Level 4 Amazon Warrior
STR: 16 | DEX: 5.75 | STA: 9.5 | CON: 9.25 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.5

FITOCRACY

The best activities for your health are pumping and humping. - Arnold

Quoth the raven "One rep more" - Edgar Allan Bro

Do you have a link? I've been needing to ge my ass to my first ocmpetition as well and might do this one with you if you'd have me.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Everybody come to Philly!!! 

I want to do a meet.  I'm working with a new coach for this reason...

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'm actually excited about the trip; going to be my first real vacation in I don't know how long.  I found another USAPL meet in July just down the road, though, so perhaps Philly will be my second meet if I can get all the crap together to make the 'Springs.

Looks like there's another in Philly in July next year that would likely be my second.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Do you have a link? I've been needing to ge my ass to my first ocmpetition as well and might do this one with you if you'd have me.

http://www.usaplnationals.com/2013-usapl-american-open/

I contacted Rob and he said that all the info and forms would be up by next weekend.  I can guarantee that my lifts will be pathetic, but it'd be cool to lift with you and then perhaps go find some recovery beverages?

http://www.usaplnationals.com/2013-usapl-american-open/

I contacted Rob and he said that all the info and forms would be up by next weekend. I can guarantee that my lifts will be pathetic, but it'd be cool to lift with you and then perhaps go find some recovery beverages?

That's funny, I contacted him too because the links to the entry forms aren't working. Up next weekend he said. Lifting and getting drinks would be fun! I'm pretty local though and am sure I'm gonna have a bunch of friends and family show up, and thud probably want to go out too.

Don't forget to practise the calls! A lot of new lifters in their first comps (me included) miss one or more lifts because they don't remember to lift when told, pause before racking after bench press, etc. Read up on the rules and get someone to practise being a judge doing the calls for you in your own gym, and pay attention to getting competition-legal form. Light weights are fine for such a session.

Good luck!

I'm doing that this week, gonna do it every now and again in prep.

500 / 330 / 625

Well, it's official; I've purchased my lycra one-sie, so now I have to compete so that I didn't just waste $40 that would have otherwise gone to coffee.  Now that it's for real I'm nervous.  Damn.

Going to register for 100% Raw and USAPL feds so that I have a couple of options for drug tested meets.  I'm excited.

Pics or it didn't happen.

500 / 330 / 625

Other than to prevent "cheating" (?) why do lifters have to compete in the silly outfit? I'm just curious. Are there meets where people don't have to wear the outfit?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I think it's crazy how strict the dress code is even for raw meets--when you put on your socks to deadlift, GOD HELP YOU if they touch your singlet; I think that the rules stipulate that in the event of that happening one of the SHW's sits on you or something.

I think it's crazy how strict the dress code is even for raw meets--when you put on your socks to deadlift, GOD HELP YOU if they touch your singlet; I think that the rules stipulate that in the event of that happening one of the SHW's sits on you or something.

Yeah, I have to read up on them before mine.  I'm worried some of my nylon briefs might be too stretchy and get me dq'd.

500 / 330 / 625

Yeah, I have to read up on them before mine.  I'm worried some of my nylon briefs might be too stretchy and get me dq'd.

That's actually my primary concern about mine--the Inzer website said it was non-supportive and good for raw comps, but I'm skeptical when my information comes from the people trying to get me to buy something.

i suggest everybody lifts nekkid

But seriously, why is it so strict?  I know in MMA they do a check for things that can cut an opponent.  But what's up with the socks thing and an actual singlet?  I can see doing an inspection but this seems extreme.  And actually kinda turns me off from doing an event someday.

I AM going the distance

i suggest everybody lifts nekkid

But seriously, why is it so strict?  I know in MMA they do a check for things that can cut an opponent.  But what's up with the socks thing and an actual singlet?  I can see doing an inspection but this seems extreme.  And actually kinda turns me off from doing an event someday.

Most sports have silly things like that--when I was racing bicycles, it was very important that your socks covered your ankles for reasons which no-one was ever able to satisfactorily explain to me.  I just choose to enjoy the little idiosyncrasies of different sports and take it as part of the charm.

My theory for the lifting business is that they don't want you wearing a garment that will help you lift if you're competing in a raw meet, so they've developed a bunch of rules to be as sure as possible that all of the strength is coming from the lifter rather than the outfit.  That's the only reasonable explanation that I can think of though.

Most sports have silly things like that--when I was racing bicycles, it was very important that your socks covered your ankles for reasons which no-one was ever able to satisfactorily explain to me.  I just choose to enjoy the little idiosyncrasies of different sports and take it as part of the charm.

My theory for the lifting business is that they don't want you wearing a garment that will help you lift if you're competing in a raw meet, so they've developed a bunch of rules to be as sure as possible that all of the strength is coming from the lifter rather than the outfit.  That's the only reasonable explanation that I can think of though.

I'm sure you're right.

what's up with the socks over the ankles in biking?  That stuff drives me bazonkers.  I'm so defiant it makes me want to just show up at a bicycle thing barefoot.

I AM going the distance

This....

The socks are to keep your DNA (ie, scrapped skin and blood) off the bar during dead lifts.  Try on the singlet ahead of the meet.  If you can, lift in it too, just to get a feel for it.  They are all tight and non flattering, but best to get your own mind games out of the way ahead of time.

I've done 2 meets.  My notes

1) It's slow compared to working out  therefore

2) Have water and food with you

3) Eat the food, drink the water

4) Talk to everyone who will talk. You will learn a lot

5) There will be some 'serious' lifters there (looking for records, etc).  They probably don't want to talk, but they are easy to spot.

6) It's FUN!!

Triple recommend the "practice the calls" advice.  I was spotting for a guy (that I had just met) who was going for a bench record (Texas state).  He was so excited that he blew the first 2 attempts by missing the calls.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Damn forms still aren't up.

500 / 330 / 625

Bike racing socks is a new one to me - the most famously annoying UK bike one being plain jerseys.  That's actually hard to find!

I did my first meet in January, and it was a hoot.  Wildross's points all stand.  I'd add "practice pause bench" and "lowball your opening lift".